• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why the Nero hate?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
There's no way Vergil can be Nero's father. lol The forum has been through that discussion to hell and back. Considering their ages, it's just not feasible. Vergil would've had to father Nero when he was 10 or younger.
Thank you...I swear, the entire thing started all because Bingo wanted to say that Vergil was nero's dad, mildly hinted it in his alt-continuity novelization...BADLY no less, all while contridicting major portions of events in the game itself, much less diologue, and some localization staff member decided that he thoughth Nero was vergil's kid without even knowing the timeline or character.

VERGIL HATES HUMANITY! HE OUTRIGHT MAKES THIS CLEAR IN ALL MEDIA HE'S APPEARED IN. The exception would be DmC!Vergil, being he's a different iteration of the character.

Valcorn

Thank you...I swear, the entire thing started all because Bingo wanted to say that Vergil was nero's dad, mildly hinted it in his alt-continuity novelization...BADLY no less, all while contridicting major portions of events in the game itself, much less diologue, and some localization staff member decided that he thoughth Nero was vergil's kid without even knowing the timeline or character.

VERGIL HATES HUMANITY! HE OUTRIGHT MAKES THIS CLEAR IN ALL MEDIA HE'S APPEARED IN. The exception would be DmC!Vergil, being he's a different iteration of the character.
wrong, wrong and again wrong.

Age of Nero

The End is the Beginning is the End!
I never hated Nero but i always felt his inclusion somewhat puzzling, There were so many plot holes and issues with series continuity i thought it strange to add ANOTHER characters mythology to the series. Though i was however extremely disappointing with how similar he was to Dante and Vergil, it seemed almost a waste of a new character. Though i will say this I always felt that Nero's characterization was the direction they should have took Dante in, in DMC 3.
Interesting theory! But yes, there were plot holes like crazy- even though it's rumored about, I'm still trying to decifer the fact if he's Vergil's son or not! There were hints, but no direct answers- not even at the end. So, I wonder if the 5th DMC may bring this up in the plot...?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
wrong, wrong and again wrong.
Sorry, Correct, correct, and Correct. Vergil was willing to doom humanity by unleashing Temen-ni-gru alll in the name of personal power, and wants his father's power in otder to transend his humanity to be a full demon, this was acknowledge and stated in both DMC3 AND it's prequel manga. Time lines confirmed that DMC4 is ten years following DMC3, and Dev team comments said that Nero was the same age in DMC4 that Dante was in DMC3. I posted the links to the interviews, you seem to see fit to ignore them. Can't help you there

And yes, DmC's Vergil is a different iteration of the character, and is blatently so...how is THAT wrong?

Age of Nero

My only complaint with Nero was lack of moves, 2-3 extra moves to Red Queen would have helped.
Also his background is explained, by do people say it isn't? Oh, they don't accept it... so pretty much there's no answer for them.
I must have missed the explanation except for the talk that he does have the blood of Sparda in him. As for being Vergil's son, I haven't heard any direct indications. That would be sweet though! xP

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Nope, they never offically explained Nero's origins, only that he's descended from Sparda in some capacity. The only person who "offically" suggests that Nero is Vergil's son was Morihashi Bingo, who was one of the senerio designers for DMC4, but the book Deadly Fortune was written and published after he'd left capcom and gone freelance. Even then, the book was very vague on exactly what teh real connection between Nero and the Twins was, with only Sanctus really suggesting that Vergil was Nero's father, and it was to the point Dante said "your parents don't matter, I don't care." Which pretty much seals there is no explination at this point...

Oh, and Kobayashi went on record that there was no direct relation between nero and the twins. that rules out vergil being his father.

Age of Nero

I've began to think the whoe scenario to DMC's full plot is messed up- bounced around with holes!! :|

Valcorn

Nope, they never offically explained Nero's origins, only that he's descended from Sparda in some capacity. The only person who "offically" suggests that Nero is Vergil's son was Morihashi Bingo, who was one of the senerio designers for DMC4, but the book Deadly Fortune was written and published after he'd left capcom and gone freelance. Even then, the book was very vague on exactly what teh real connection between Nero and the Twins was, with only Sanctus really suggesting that Vergil was Nero's father, and it was to the point Dante said "your parents don't matter, I don't care." Which pretty much seals there is no explination at this point...

Oh, and Kobayashi went on record that there was no direct relation between nero and the twins. that rules out vergil being his father.
Dude, one more time you quote Kobayashi and I will puke. He constantly contradicts himself.
Pre-release: "Nero isn't in any way related to Dante, Vergil or Sparda"
Release: "Nero has Sparda's blood/power and is a descendant"
So please... a lot of things this guy has said turned out false or even didn't happen.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
~hands you a puke bucket then~

DIRECT relation, that means immediate brother/son/nephew/first cousin relation. Please read what I say not cherry pick. He never contridicted himself, it was just further clarified by the game. The claim by Bingo and one localization meber that Nero is Vergil's son outright contridicts the fact that Vergil, by all timelines, is not OLD ENOUGH to be Nero's father; they have a ten year seperation, not 15 to 20. Get over it.

Valcorn

There isn't any official timeline, the said statements of "10 years after DMC3" was made before the has been released.

Dante47

For all we know, Vergil could be Nero's father.
You could argue that contradicts multiple things shown in story, but when has Devil May Cry cared for that in the past?

An explanation is due to us, the fans, but don't expect it.
Devil May Cry is full of plot holes and inconsistencies, so much that it's hard to keep track of anything.
Sadly, it's better not to try.

Valcorn

Reboot apparently fixes unfixable. But back to Nero, no matter how much haters deny it, they secretly know themselves that he was Vergil's son. And no, it's not my wet dream, playing DMC4, I see the intention there + Capcom employee statements + Bingo novel. At least it was considered, and just because Kobayashi contradicted himself with the timeline doesn't mean it's not true, it's just numbers.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Reboot apparently fixes unfixable. But back to Nero, no matter how much haters deny it, they secretly know themselves that he was Vergil's son. And no, it's not my wet dream, playing DMC4, I see the intention there + Capcom employee statements + Bingo novel. At least it was considered, and just because Kobayashi contradicted himself with the timeline doesn't mean it's not true, it's just numbers.

Nope, my secret knowledge is that Nero clearly is the rebirth of Sparda, since his entire story arc is SPARDA'S(betrays the realm he serves for a greater good and the love of a human), and his character profile and design is a mesh of Dante and vergil. Oh, and the nice tidbit that he has, in fact held all three swords of Sparda; Rebellion, Yamato, and the Sparda. Watch the opening cinema again; when fighting the Scarecrows, his shadow on the wall looks very susiciously like SPARDA'S with the scarecrow weapon. That is not just random chance. And the timef rame of his birth fits in following soon after Sparda's death.

So if your private head canon is that Vergil father's a child when he was nine and some how cares about humans when every action he takes in DMC3 says he doesn't give two craps about humanity and wants to gain all the power he can because of a broken psyche from when he was 8 after watching his mother be brutally slaughtered by demons and hates the fact humans are be default weaker that demons...then go ahead. but it runs contrary to canon and what every director of the series and writer has said. The Bingo novel was writen after he had left Capcom and was a freelance writer, it's his version of the continuity, and he is the only one who tried to push Nero was Vergil's son. It may have been a concept idea at one point by Bingo, but it was clearly dropped, get over.

Btw, the ten years timeline comment was just before release, so for this thought that dante was pushing 40 in DMC4 to be true, he had to be 28 to 29 in DMC3, which has been catagorically made untrue as all the staff asked about it said he was 19, and DMC4 us ten years later.

It's just numbers.

Valcorn

I don't deny the Sparda connections and resemblance. But you are missing a crucial point: the reason why Dante was browsing the library and looking around Fortuna was to find some info about Vergil, that is evidence of at least something of the novel being canon. Sparda being reborn in the same city that Vergil had visited is just weird.

And again, Nero = Sparda sounds too much like a fanfiction. Tell me one reason for why would Sparda have been reborn.
Crucial point 2: even if vague, there are statements/hints from people that have worked on the game about Vergil being his father, tho there's not a single word from Capcom about your Sparda conspiracy theory.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Crucial point 2: Sparda reborn; common theme of eastern mythology is a hero returning to be ready when he's needed most, reincarnation is a common belief of eastern religions and faiths, especially in Japan. You have no idea how this became a misconception in the Zelda fandom that the various heroes are just the same person reborn over and over instead of a common trait being referrence by "Spirit of the hero" being a figuritive phrase as a result of knowing this aspect of eastern faiths. Also...why would a quarter breed be possibly more powerful than a HALF breed, or be transforming physically into a demon? Even Bingo's novel kept flipfloping on what was actually going on, to where Nero figured that his real form IS demonic, and his human form is just some kind of chryaslis form like a caterpiller transforming to a butterfly(and that was the NOVEL'S wording), and Dante even said "I don't care who your parents are, I just care about who you will be." The novel contridicted itself repeatedly, so, yeah, Deadly Fortune contridicts game and it's own narrative.

Crucial point 1; There was no indication in DMC4's story outside of of Bingo's FANFICTION novel that Vergil ever visited Fortuna; LADY was the one who told Dante about the city, and made him interested because they worshipped his father. In fact, we have no indication that it was actually Dante who was in the library, that was Nero's assumption. The only reference to Vergil from Dante is just that Yamato had belonged to "my brother", but remember that it is above all else a sword of Sparda, same with Rebellion. Vergil is never even referred to by name.

Top Bottom