• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Metal gear Rising can't possibly be DMC5 (Or in place for DmC)

Dante47

By that logic, Metal Gear Solid is a spin off from Metal Gear.
In a way, it is.
It's separate from Metal Gear 1 and 2 in it's story arcs and characters.
Sure, it's heavily connected to Metal Gear Solid, but the stories in Metal Gear are self contained and don't require further explanation. So, yes, Metal Gear Solid is a spin off of Metal Gear.

Also, am I the only one here who liked Raiden?

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
Raiden Press the action button to nanomachine

mqdefault.jpg

Blacknerd

Well, I only brought it up because you referenced Twin Snakes towards Fox putting up a fight against REX, when the original PSX version was a lot less action-packed. TW Grey Fox makes PSX Grey Fox look like a chump >_<

Tell him that in the hallway scene lol. That part still gets me even when I saw it as a kid.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
You started with MGS 4? Why? That is the conclusion to the story and you really have to play the games before it to get what's going on. MGS 3 is legendary and full of awesome.

There is so much more to Frank Jaeger than you what you think. Plus just look at the dude and he is a hell of a lot cooler than Raiden. Raiden is that stupid looking anime and final fantasy looking girly man wearing high heels. Gray Fox had that kickass looking mask and just he's comes off as more intimidating than Raiden will ever be. He made Octacon p!ss himself with good reason. Gray Fox is the true Cyborg Ninja and to me Raiden is like an idiot wearing the Batman cowl. He's not worthy of the title.
I started with MGS4 because I just picked it up from the bargin bin, then when I played MGS4, I was amazed at how great it was and I had to play the originals to end the mind f**k.
As for Gray Fox, I personally do not like his armor, nor his mask, I've never used it in Rising. Anyway that is ENTIRELY your opinion, you like Gray Fox and hate Raiden, that's fine. I don't care about Gray Fox and I like Raiden, it's my opinion.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
There is so much more to Frank Jaeger than you what you think. Plus just look at the dude and he is a hell of a lot cooler than Raiden. Raiden is that stupid looking anime and final fantasy looking girly man wearing high heels. Gray Fox had that kickass looking mask and just he's comes off as more intimidating than Raiden will ever be. He made Octacon p!ss himself with good reason. Gray Fox is the true Cyborg Ninja and to me Raiden is like an idiot wearing the Batman cowl. He's not worthy of the title.

Grey Fox's design was kinda bland and minimalist, but Raiden's have all been a lot cooler in actual design. I'll take Jeager's Null design over his Cyborg design any day.

And making Otacon **** himself isn't something to write home about - the dude's a pantywaist :/

I don't see why people make fun of him for those heels either...they weren't for fashion, they literally helped him kill things better. It's just part of his fighting style.

I do think you should really calm down though...you honestly look like one of those extremists fans we always talk about here regarding DmC >.>

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
In a way, it is.
It's separate from Metal Gear 1 and 2 in it's story arcs and characters.
Sure, it's heavily connected to Metal Gear Solid, but the stories in Metal Gear are self contained and don't require further explanation. So, yes, Metal Gear Solid is a spin off of Metal Gear.

Also, am I the only one here who liked Raiden?

It really is a spinoff, since it carries a different title. We have Metal Gear (MSX series), then the Solid series, AC!D, and now Rising.

Also - I loved Raiden. You are not alone, brother. Or should I say "Brrruuuthaaaaaaaaaaaaah~"

Tell him that in the hallway scene lol. That part still gets me even when I saw it as a kid.

Even the Twin Snakes hallway sequence was better than the PSX version >.<

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Grey Fox's design was kinda bland and minimalist, but Raiden's have all been a lot cooler in actual design. I'll take Jeager's Null design over his Cyborg design any day.

And making Otacon **** himself isn't something to write home about - the dude's a pantywaist :/

I don't see why people make fun of him for those heels either...they weren't for fashion, they literally helped him kill things better. It's just part of his fighting style.

I do think you should really calm down though...you honestly look like one of those extremists fans we always talk about here regarding DmC >.>
I will make fun of those heels because he is wearing high heels regardless. Raiden evidently wasn't feminine enough already. I don't think Raiden looks that cool. He is really that anime/final fantasy looking girly man in Metal Gear that just doesn't strike me badass or cool. F*ck the anime hair, we'd rather rock the mullets with a bandana and an eye patch. Or Gray Fox's mask. That mask alone is really cool. I need to get one.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It really is a spinoff, since it carries a different title. We have Metal Gear (MSX series), then the Solid series, AC!D, and now Rising.

Also - I loved Raiden. You are not alone, brother. Or should I say "Brrruuuthaaaaaaaaaaaaah~"

Even the Twin Snakes hallway sequence was better than the PSX version >_<
Metal Gear Solid is not a spinoff of Metal Gear, it's a direct sequel.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Metal Gear Solid is not a spinoff of Metal Gear, it's a direct sequel.

If it was a direct sequel, wouldn't Metal Gear Solid be called Metal Gear 3...? It's a continuation of the Metal Gear universe, but it's its own series spun from the MSX titles. It's a spin-off series, just as the others are.

Ghost Babel is the same way - it's a spin-off sequel from the original MSX titles too. The original Metal Gear series ended, and literally two different continuations were made; Solid, and Ghost Babel. Solid just kept going, and unfortunately nothing else was to be done with Ghost Babel :(

Zato-OW

King
Did this really need a thread? If anything Bayonetta was DMC5 because that game plays a lot more similar to DMC then MGR does. MGR plays nothing like DMC. Its just in the same genre as Hack N Slash buts its a sub genre if even that.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If it was a direct sequel, wouldn't Metal Gear Solid be called Metal Gear 3...? It's a continuation of the Metal Gear universe, but it's its own series spun from the MSX titles. It's a spin-off series, just as the others are.

Ghost Babel is the same way - it's a spin-off sequel from the original MSX titles too. The original Metal Gear series ended, and literally two different continuations were made; Solid, and Ghost Babel. Solid just kept going, and unfortunately nothing else was to be done with Ghost Babel :(
Would you say The Dark Knight is a spinoff to Batman Begins? No, because it was still a direct sequel to Batman Begins. It is the same exact thing with Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid is a sequel to Metal Gear because it does pick up after the events in those older games. Solid was a way to not only say that it's a sequel to Metal Gear but also Metal Gear brought to the new generation. I've played every single Metal Gear and while you kind of don't need to play the originals to get Metal Gear Solid it does tie directly with the events of those older titles for the NES.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Would you say The Dark Knight is a spinoff to Batman Begins? No, because it was still a direct sequel to Batman Begins. It is the same exact thing with Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid is a sequel to Metal Gear because it does pick up after the events in those older games. Solid was a way to not only say that it's a sequel to Metal Gear but also Metal Gear brought to the new generation. I've played every single Metal Gear and while you kind of don't need to play the originals to get Metal Gear Solid it does tie directly with the events of those older titles for the NES.

You've pretty much just described what spin-offs are :/ A starting point that also acts as a continuation of something that preceded it. Metal Gear Solid is definitely a series, and it plays into a much larger Metal Gear Series, but it's still a spin-off of the original.

A comparison with Nolan's Batman trilogy doesn't quite work since Metal Gear established a use of regular sequential naming conventions (with numbers and all). A spin-off takes a point from a series and literally spins off into its own tangent. Whether or not that tangent is a one-off or creates its own is just up to them - I again point you to Ghost Babel, which jumps off from the exact same point as Metal Gear Solid does. Ghost Babel is a direct sequel, too, by your definition, but then now we have a discrepancy - two sequels to the MSX series. It's actually a little silly to just state that the Metal Gear series as a whole is Metal Gear (MSX) to Metal Gear Solid 4 when we have Ghost Babel sitting there right alongside the Solid series.

Ghost Babel and Solid suppose two different divergences from MSX series. One is just infinitely more popular and did more to help the franchise skyrocket into fame.

Also - the originals Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake were on the MSX computer system, not the NES. The NES version of Metal Gear was a butchered abomination :p

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I hate QTEs, but they were kept to a minimum in MGR which I liked, I loathe the QTEs in God of War and RE6, but MGRs QTEs didn't anger me at all. I didn't mind the instant move refill health move cause I hardly every used it.

While I hate QTEs I only hate them when they are over done, like in God of War where like 70% of the game is QTEs. In MGR, it's mostly just the finishers and they aren't over done, plus they're meet with the blade mode at the end which I like.
You're giving MGR way too much credit. The amount of forced QTEs in MGR is hardly minimal and you're over-exaggerating the amount of QTEs in God of War.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
You're giving MGR way too much credit. The amount of forced QTEs in MGR is hardly minimal and you're over-exaggerating the amount of QTEs in God of War.
I said to a minimum that I liked for gods sake! This is all my opinion!
I hate the amount of QTEs in God of War which you have to use QTEs basically every mini boss and every main boss.
Plus MGR's QTEs are combined with blade mode moments which I actually liked, so the QTE moments in MGR did not annoy me as much as GOWs QTEs do.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You've pretty much just described what spin-offs are :/ A starting point that also acts as a continuation of something that preceded it. Metal Gear Solid is definitely a series, and it plays into a much larger Metal Gear Series, but it's still a spin-off of the original.

A comparison with Nolan's Batman trilogy doesn't quite work since Metal Gear established a use of regular sequential naming conventions (with numbers and all). A spin-off takes a point from a series and literally spins off into its own tangent. Whether or not that tangent is a one-off or creates its own is just up to them - I again point you to Ghost Babel, which jumps off from the exact same point as Metal Gear Solid does. Ghost Babel is a direct sequel, too, by your definition, but then now we have a discrepancy - two sequels to the MSX series. It's actually a little silly to just state that the Metal Gear series as a whole is Metal Gear (MSX) to Metal Gear Solid 4 when we have Ghost Babel sitting there right alongside the Solid series.

Ghost Babel and Solid suppose two different divergences from MSX series. One is just infinitely more popular and did more to help the franchise skyrocket into fame.

Also - the originals Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake were on the MSX computer system, not the NES. The NES version of Metal Gear was a butchered abomination :p
It is Metal Gear 3 making it a sequel. Look it up if you have to but Metal Gear Solid the third canonical release in the series. It is NOT a spinoff.

Top Bottom