• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Metal gear Rising can't possibly be DMC5 (Or in place for DmC)

ZeroLove

It's just fanboys looking for more sh!t to b!tch about. Simple as that. The game has always been called Devil May Cry and with a title like that it has every right not to be some lighthearted, kid friendly, title. It's almost like playing Grand Theft Auto and being shocked you are able to commit the felony that is in the title. Devil pretty much is the the ultimate perception of pure evil to people. Do they have to take a game who's entire concept revolves around demons from hell and turn it into a saturday morning cartoon you might see on nickelodeon or something? No. I expect a world completely ruled by demons to be full of sin. It all seems pretty much in context to the tale being told. Besides, I'm an adult who sure as seen worse than this even by my own free will. I knew what I bought when I bought DmC. I've seen far worse than this and DmC is a cute little puppy dog compared to other things that exist out there.

Plus they can't act like DMC was some mature masterpiece. Just look at this bs. DMC had such class didn't it? -_-

Hey, that's one of my favourite scenes in DMC4. :p

I said the series in overall.

Except that DmC is not part of the original series. DmC is very much a game of its own, due to it being a reboot. That's what a reboot is, starting all over, not being canon to the former series.

Blazer-X

Going back to the original topic: having recently purchased Metal Gear Rising and played both games, I have to say that both of them are very fun in their own ways. But there is no way MGR could be more "Devil May Cry" than DmC.

Devil May Cry is about freely stringing attacks to form combos. That is why there are one button pause combos and only one button combination for every special attack. Even with the removal of lock-on in DmC, every attack is still part of one command. With MGR, they bring in "dial-a-combo" which takes away the free stringing because some moves are part of a special combo dial. For instance, the launcher you start out with is part of the light pause combo. Due to having to dial combos, you cannot freely and precisely string together attacks, at least not as much as DMC or DmC.

The lack of movement to break away from combat is also another department. DMC and DmC gave you a lot of options to avoid attacks through i-frame jumps, rolls, dodge moves, dashes, and teleports. In MGR, we get... Offensive Defense and Parry. Now, I was never big on royal guard on DMC and I am not good at timing. As someone who prefer having movement as my countering technique, relying on parry for majority of the problems feels forced. DMC and DmC gave you the choice of guard or parry alongside dodging, whereas MGR restricted your defense to mostly just parrying.

Different games, different mechanics. In the end, they're both still very fun and I have no problem calling both of them very good hack and slash games. But it still urks me to no end when people try to compare them as if they share the same combat mechanics or worse, try to claim MGR is a better successor to DMC. MGR has mechanics that would only work for MGR. If they start using MGR mechanics for a DMC game and start using dial-a-combo, enhanced QTE sequences (essentially what blade mode is), and removing dodge, fans will have an uproar. Likewise, if we apply DMC mechanics that only works on DMC to MGR, we would create an abomination.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
The antagonists' use of vulgarity accentuates different aspects of their character as well. Poison is vulgarity personified, and speaks as such. Barbas is a lot of bluster and hot air, and what little vulgarity he spews is from a standpoint of trying to sound superior (much like O'Reilly, whom he parodies, belittling people he disagrees with). Lilith's bit of vulgarity comes from a similar place of condescension, as does Mundus', where they literally think that everyone is beneath them, and it's incredibly foolish to challenge them and their 9000 year reign.

Dante responds to their behavior in kind, in his own way. It's that whole idea that while classic Dante responds to things with dry wit and horrible jokes, DmC Dante does so while seeped in anger. Dante's tiny "F#ck you" exchange with Poison is often blown out of proportion, and was both started and ended by Poison. Dante's one response there was really just a "Well, f#ck you too!"

But, this is all it is. It's something that's used in the real world quite a bit, usually out of exasperation or anger. To think it was all done just to sound edgy is really dumb. It's an imposing an idea onto something that isn't there, just to be mad at it. I can only imagine that people who complain about it a) lived or still live very sheltered lives, or b) are just complaining to complain.

Poison-you get it.
Barbas-yeah, he's a demon reporter yet he says 'you little sh*t!'
Lilith-not much
Mundus- "Just like your father, too big for your f*cking boots. Me, a god. Versus you, a piece of sh*t."

I'm sure you guys are familiar with Black Lagoon. It's more than just an manga/anime series since you can see little to no anime stereotypes in this. And has vulgarity in it since according to Rei Hiroe, it's more like "What if Quentin Tarantino made a manga?" And it delivers. That's why the English dun of the said show was one of the best ever since it captures Black Lagoon's setting; it's like you're watching a Western film.

So what I don't really get on why everybody complains on DmC Dante's swearing. TBH, that's fine because DmC's setting is more dark, gritty, and a Dante that was realistic and believable in terms of personality.

HatredIsJoy

The dodge move gives plenty of mobility, IMO. You can actually ignore parrying and just Defensive Offense your way through or around any attack in the game apart from bullets and flamethrowers, but those can't be parried and are dealt with by using Ninja Run to block the shots or get the **** out of the way. And RPGs and cannon shots from GRADs can be dodged but not parried. With the Dodge Offset mechanic, a skillful player can dish out huge damage while avoiding any retribution.

I agree that saying that MGR is the true new DMC game is hella dumb.

Blazer-X

Yes, I'm sure parrying and dodge offset is just as good as demon evade at the hands of a skilled player. That's the thing though. I'm not a skilled player. I know I'm bad at precise timing. That's why I dodge/run the hell away whenever I get surrounded.

Another thing I forgot to mention: MGR has very limited range options. The sub-weapons are limited in ammo and the only other thing available is the tonfa. In DMC/DmC, you not only have guns, but also shockwave and roundtrips from your swords and devil arms.

HatredIsJoy

Oh alright then. Missed that part of your previous post, sorry.

ANd yeah, MGR doesn't really have any true range options at all. The sub weapons can't be used as a main form of offense without the Infinite Wig, and the main weapons are all meelee. Monsoon's sai is more of a gap closer because it moves you to the enemy unless you cancel out of it every time.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
See this is a larger problem - people get ***** about the swearing in DmC because they think the intention was to be "edgy" and some other bullshit.

It wasn't, it was an unabridged look at the exact cultures being portrayed and parodied in DmC. The punk movement was all about saying and doing whatever you felt, regardless of being "nice," if you wanted to swear, you swore, because it was usually an emphasis on contention or overall anger, and an off-handed refusal to bow to political correctness. Dante's use of vulgarity is based on that exact element - he absolutely hates demons for how they've ruined his life, and he finds no redeeming qualities. Dante literally has a contentious relationship with the demons (sans father), and that anger shows itself in raw violence, which he revels in, and how he speaks to them. He speaks less vulgar to other people, and actually cleans up his mouth a little bit around others, like Kat, out of respect it would seem. I actually knew a few people who could be considered actual "punks," and their behavior was easy to discern. It's just about saying and doing what you feel, regardless of how someone might be offended.

The antagonists' use of vulgarity accentuates different aspects of their character as well. Poison is vulgarity personified, and speaks as such. Barbas is a lot of bluster and hot air, and what little vulgarity he spews is from a standpoint of trying to sound superior (much like O'Reilly, whom he parodies, belittling people he disagrees with). Lilith's bit of vulgarity comes from a similar place of condescension, as does Mundus', where they literally think that everyone is beneath them, and it's incredibly foolish to challenge them and their 9000 year reign.

Dante responds to their behavior in kind, in his own way. It's that whole idea that while classic Dante responds to things with dry wit and horrible jokes, DmC Dante does so while seeped in anger. Dante's tiny "F#ck you" exchange with Poison is often blown out of proportion, and was both started and ended by Poison. Dante's one response there was really just a "Well, f#ck you too!"

Best post.

DmC is all about the punk, and punk is all about being offensive. Dante's swearing never really feels out of place in DmC, because is inside of a context of critique, acidness and overall agressiveness (don't even know if that's the right word).
That's why you rarely will see him doing it when being close to Kat, or even Vergil.

One note, to this kind of view DmC tries to have, the original trailer design for Dante would be way more fitting.

Top Bottom