• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Metal gear Rising can't possibly be DMC5 (Or in place for DmC)

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
It takes place 4 years after MGS 4. That's straight up canon. But it's not even the issue of the story. It's how such a game which totally doesn't seem to capture the Metal Gear charm and is pretty much almost entirely alien. That's not just talking about the genre switch. I expected the Cyborg Ninja game to be amazing and all that was given was something that sure as hell shames the Metal Gear name by not being the original and innovative game every other Metal Gear game is. It's nothing special at all and even though I HATE Raiden, this game should have been better and sure as hell doesn't live up to any standard Metal Gear games are expected to meet.

The fanatical Devil May Cry fans don't get it because they already share a ridiculous love for very shallow games with no substance and lack of originality (Devil May Cry) while even though I love it too, Metal Gear is something I love more and stuff like this is totally not cool at all. I have every right to be upset with Rising.

I've made, nor will i make a statement regarding MGR's story because i sure as hell didn't expect the story to be good. I knew that the second i started making comparisons to the game being like Metal Wolf Chaos (With Cyborgs instead of mechs) and while the story may not be on the scale of a MGS title, it sure as hell isn't any less silly.

I dare you to tell me that the storylines of Metal Gear Solid are not full of asspulls and mountain-esque leaps of scientific faith because there's no way nanomachines can do all the things that the MGS series claims they can, let alone what Rising claims they can do.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I like both games, but I do agree that Revengeance is nowhere near a DMC game. For one, it doesn't have nearly the amount of missions that DMC always has. DmC was also a much longer game for me despite not having nearly as many cutscenes as Revengeance.

ZeroLove

Is it childish of Me that I still can't get over Raiden having high heels?

Hehe, I like the idea of him having those so he can grab onto his sword with his feet, but yeah, it is rather comical. XD

I hate QTEs, but they were kept to a minimum in MGR which I liked, I loathe the QTEs in God of War and RE6, but MGRs QTEs didn't anger me at all. I didn't mind the instant move refill health move cause I hardly every used it.

What made MGR what DMC was supposed to be for me is it had everything that made me a fan of DMC, a cool, fun likable character, fun dialog, fast paced 60fps gameplay, epic & addicting music, good challenges, amazing boss battles and innovation. DmC didn't deliver any of that for me.

Oh, I thought you meant that it was specific features that was in DMC that MGR had and not DmC, but most of the things you mention are more or less based on personal opinions...

- A cool, fun likeable character... I think DmC Dante is that.
- Fun dialog... I think the dialog in DmC is fun.
- Fast-paced 60fps gameplay... That's a certain feature, though DmC had fast-paced 30fps gameplay.
- Epic and addicting music... I think DmC's music is epic and addicting. I quite enjoy Combochrist and Noisa.
- Good challenges... I liked DmC's challenges.
- Amazing boss battles... I think DmC's boss battles are quite amazing, however too few. But then again, MGR has less boss battles, I believe.
- Innovation... Quite a wide term, but indeed MGR's slash-everything-to-pieces is indeed innovative, and DmC doesn't really have anything that is new and innovative as such.

Another worthy mention... DmC doesn't have any QTE's.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Irrelevant. It still bears the Metal Gear name and is considered canon to the series.

But i'm a good sport so i went and looked it up and i found this:

"The game is a spin-off that is "not part of the Metal Gear Solid series", although it is considered part of the same universe, and thus canon." Which stands exactly by what i said, it's a Metal Gear game, i didn't say Metal Gear Solid
learn.gif

Now this is a bit sketchy, because Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the Game Boy Color is said to take place in the same universe, but it technically isn't canon to the Solid series, because it actually takes place instead of Metal Gear Solid for the PSX. Metal Gear Rising takes place in the same universe, but is very much a "What If" game in the same way Ghost Babel is. Neither are actually canon at all, even if they're acknowledged in small bits - like the Five-seveN's description in MGS4.

It takes place 4 years after MGS 4. That's straight up canon. But it's not even the issue of the story. It's how such a game which totally doesn't seem to capture the Metal Gear charm and is pretty much almost entirely alien. That's not just talking about the genre switch. I expected the Cyborg Ninja game to be amazing and all that was given was something that sure as hell shames the Metal Gear name by not being the original and innovative game every other Metal Gear game is. It's nothing special at all and even though I HATE Raiden, this game should have been better and sure as hell doesn't live up to any standard Metal Gear games are expected to meet.

The fanatical Devil May Cry fans don't get it because they already share a ridiculous love for very shallow games with no substance and lack of originality (Devil May Cry) while even though I love it too, Metal Gear is something I love more and stuff like this is totally not cool at all. I have every right to be upset with Rising.

I dunno about you, but I think you either didn't play the game yourself, or went into it expecting to hate it, which greatly skews your opinion. As die-hard Metal Gear fan, I can say that Rising does, in fact, have all the charm of a Metal Gear game. It brought back my love of Codec calls that explain the world and give me cute little tidbits about the characters and their relationships, it had some quirky elements that always just seem to fit in well with the greater narrative. A political and conspiratorial story that touches on ideologies

Metal Gear Rising is definitely the Cyborg Ninja version of a Metal Gear title, and having played the VR Missions as Grey Fox and HF Blade Raiden, Rising was the logical next step in gameplay, much like how Metal Gear evolved its stealth action with each entry. The Zandatsu mechanic was really innovative and is the greatest way of making the player really feel in control of the Ninja's precise blade, just in the same way that MGS' evolving shooting and stealth mechanics let us really feel like we were Solid Snake outsmarting soldiers.

Chancey, I can tell you're passionate about Metal Gear, but I honestly feel you're letting whatever this anger is you have completely blind you. To say it "shames the Metal Gear name" is extremely hyperbolic, and it really sounds like you hate the Rising simply because it's not stealth, even though you can literally go through 90% of the game's encounters using stealth skills. Kojima wanted to make a game where we got to feel like the Cyborg Ninja, which is perfectly reasonable given the multitude of Espionage Action games we have that Metal Gear is founded on.

What exactly is this standard you say Rising is expected to meet that it didn't? What standard is there for a Metal Gear game where you play as the Cyborg Ninja and not the Legendary Mercenary?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Oh, I thought you meant that it was specific features that was in DMC that MGR had and not DmC, but most of the things you mention are more or less based on personal opinions...

- A cool, fun likeable character... I think DmC Dante is that.
- Fun dialog... I think the dialog in DmC is fun.
- Fast-paced 60fps gameplay... That's a certain feature, though DmC had fast-paced 30fps gameplay.
- Epic and addicting music... I think DmC's music is epic and addicting. I quite enjoy Combochrist and Noisa.
- Good challenges... I liked DmC's challenges.
- Amazing boss battles... I think DmC's boss battles are quite amazing, however too few. But then again, MGR has less boss battles, I believe.
- Innovation... Quite a wide term, but indeed MGR's slash-everything-to-pieces is indeed innovative, and DmC doesn't really have anything that is new and innovative as such.

Another worthy mention... DmC doesn't have any QTE's.

Yes as I said, MGR is the new DMC for me. Don't care what other people think.

Those are your opinions too, my opinion on DmC and new Dante is they suck.

While I hate QTEs I only hate them when they are over done, like in God of War where like 70% of the game is QTEs. In MGR, it's mostly just the finishers and they aren't over done, plus they're meet with the blade mode at the end which I like.

Speak for yourself. Rising is not a Devil May Cry because it's part of the Metal Gear series unfortunately. Metal Gear is my favorite video game series of all time so I don't expect you to understand why Rising sure as hell shames the Metal Gear legacy and I'm not just talking from my hatred for Raiden that pretty much every Metal Gear fan shares regardless of what you think. The Cyborg Ninja game deserved better than this crap.

Preferably with Gray Fox which is what EVERY FAN REALLY wants but even, hate to say it, Raiden deserved better. Now I'm going to go throw up because I said that. I'll throw Raiden a bone a say that he's a well developed character (every Metal Gear character pretty much is) but he is still not likable and ask any Metal Gear fan the game they would want to see, Gray Fox would win, no contest. P* obviously doesn't get Metal Gear because it doesn't have the charm which made Metal Gear so special. Kojima knows Metal Gear more than anyone and I can see the lack of Kojima's involvement. That's not a good thing at all.

DUH! I was speaking for myself! I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks, I loved Metal Gear Rising and I like Raiden, plus I played MGS1 and I have no idea why people like Gray Fox.
V
V
V
MGR is DMC's successor to me because MGR had everything I wanted from DMC that DmC failed to deliver.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I've made, nor will i make a statement regarding MGR's story because i sure as hell didn't expect the story to be good. I knew that the second i started making comparisons to the game being like Metal Wolf Chaos (With Cyborgs instead of mechs) and while the story may not be on the scale of a MGS title, it sure as hell isn't any less silly.

I dare you to tell me that the storylines of Metal Gear Solid are not full of asspulls and mountain-esque leaps of scientific faith because there's no way nanomachines can do all the things that the MGS series claims they can, let alone what Rising claims they can do.
I never said it wasn't silly. I'm a massive Metal Gear fan so I think I figured out a long time ago that Metal Gear is f*cking strange and flat out bat sh!t insane that really for the most part you shouldn't try to even question half the time. It would only make your brain implode. Hideo Kojima is a crazy motherfucker but he is a mad genius and crazy motherfucker in a good way. Even MGS 2, which is regarded as one of the worst in the series, was still memorable as all hell. Rising doesn't seem to approach the crazy Metal Gear stuff in the same manner where everything just feels so bland and ehh with absolute dreadful dialogue at times. I cringed when I heard Raiden talk to that cybernetic wolf about the meaning of life and sh!t.

It's why I say P* doesn't get Metal Gear. Their mediocre influence inspired entirely by generic anime trends are very evident which makes for one of the most uninteresting games in the series in execution. Every character from the annoying stereotypical black guy to the stereotypical russian are just so.... boring. Listening on the codec becomes a freaking annoying chore because I don't give a sh!t what any of them have to say. Even Octacon who can get annoying is fun to just listen to because he is still such a likable and fleshed out character. It doesn't create a colorful cast of characters and Raiden is basically talking to robots with the sole purpose of just blabbering and telling him where to go.

Even the villains in this game are nothing to get excited about because they feel just there. It would have been awesome if Vamp was still alive and showed up as a boss fight and don't get me started on the boss fights, Metal Gear Solid had the most amazing boss fights I've every played. (Psycho Mantis, The End, etc.) Rising sure as hell doesn't do anything too special. They don't get Metal Gear and even the overall combat in the game actually has less depth than P*'s Bayonetta which even thought I've expressed my dislike of that game, still had pretty solid gameplay and I had more fun with that game. Sometimes you feel as if you're cheating because Raiden feels a little OP at times.

I love Metal Gear for doing it's absolutely bat sh!t insane antics that is part of the Metal Gear charm. Just the lack of Kojima is VERY evident and that's just something than any Metal Gear fanatic notices off the bat. The overall gameplay still is hardly anything groundbreaking. I've played massively superior hack n slashers. Hell, I started up Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden again recently and I'm having another fun blast from the past that is no doubt better than Rising and more fun.

It's not even my hatred for Raiden, it's how the Cyborg Ninja game could have been flat out amazing and unlike any other hack n slasher to date if it really knew how to adapt the Metal Gear name to it's fullest and insane potential. MGS has introduced things to video games that are unlike any other gaming franchise ever. A game like Rising failing to achieve such massive potential is a very huge let down for me. My massive hatred for Raiden runs very very deep but as you see, I wasn't so narrow minded that I actually gave it a fair shot unlike many of the DMC fans with the reboot. Raiden or Gray Fox, this should have been so much better and representing the Metal Gear name with this is a goddamn shame.

Rayl

Now this is a bit sketchy, because Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel for the Game Boy Color is said to take place in the same universe, but it technically isn't canon to the Solid series, because it actually takes place instead of Metal Gear Solid for the PSX. Metal Gear Rising takes place in the same universe, but is very much a "What If" game in the same way Ghost Babel is. Neither are actually canon at all, even if they're acknowledged in small bits - like the Five-seveN's description in MGS4.

Touche' but has it been said anywhere that Rising is like Ghost Babel in that regard? I can't find any reference for that but then i'm not really bothered either way.

Blacknerd

Irrelevant. It still bears the Metal Gear name and is considered canon to the series.

But i'm a good sport so i went and looked it up and i found this:

"The game is a spin-off that is "not part of the Metal Gear Solid series", although it is considered part of the same universe, and thus canon." Which stands exactly by what i said, it's a Metal Gear game, i didn't say Metal Gear Solid
learn.gif

Apologizes I misread your post
Im only referring to it as it being a spin off of the solid series. It has its own canon yes but has nothing to do with the previous title.

However I stand by me not calling it a metal gear game and just metal gear rising because of how its mechanics are nothing like the previous one which was based soley on stealth and story rather than action. Kinda like Ultimate spider man and amazing spiderman

Same franchise different canon.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Touche' but has it been said anywhere that Rising is like Ghost Babel in that regard? I can't find any reference for that but then i'm not really bothered either way.

I can't even remember where I had heard it, wish I could. I think it may have been in that viddoc that Kojima released that explained the shift in Rising's development. It was said that originally Rising was going to take place before MGS4, but when they shifted the development, they "placed it four years after MGS4 and removed it from the actual timeline, so that whatever becomes of things in Rising has no effect on the greater MGS timeline."

I heard it so long ago >.<

Rayl

It's why I say P* doesn't get Metal Gear. Their mediocre influence inspired entirely by generic anime trends are very evident which makes for one of the most uninteresting games in the series in execution. Every character from the annoying stereotypical black guy to the stereotypical russian are just so.... boring. Listening on the codec becomes a freaking annoying chore because I don't give a sh!t what any of them have to say. Even Octacon who can get annoying is fun to just listen to because he is still such a likable and fleshed out character. It doesn't create a colorful cast of characters and Raiden is basically talking to robots with the sole purpose of just blabbering and telling him where to go.

Even the villains in this game are nothing to get excited about because they feel just there. It would have been awesome if Vamp was still alive and showed up as a boss fight and don't get me started on the boss fights, Metal Gear Solid had the most amazing boss fights I've every played. (Psycho Mantis, The End, etc.) Rising sure as hell doesn't do anything too special. They don't get Metal Gear and even the overall combat in the game actually has less depth than P*'s Bayonetta which even thought I've expressed my dislike of that game, still had pretty solid gameplay and I had more fun with that game. Sometimes you feel as if you're cheating because Raiden feels a little OP at times.

I actually don't disagree with you completely, but to be fair the only person who is going to write a Metal Gear game as it should be written is in fact Kojima himself, you said it best, the man's crazy and it shows in his writing style and Rising doesn't quite have that direction behind it and that does make it a bit of a shame in that regard.

But then on top of that you've got a Metal Gear game that's radically different in style from anything else in the series and i can think of games that have done ALOT worse in that regard, i'm actually glad we got the quality and fun that we got from it.

As i said it could be worse... it could be:

tumblr_lvm2jycoqM1r36gewo1_500.jpg

And let me tell you, the survival horror in that game is all about managing to not ram red hot pokers into your eyes in disgust.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yes as I said, MGR is the new DMC for me. Don't care what other people think.

Those are your opinions too, my opinion on DmC and new Dante is they suck.

While I hate QTEs I only hate them when they are over done, like in God of War where like 70% of the game is QTEs. In MGR, it's mostly just the finishers and they aren't over done, plus they're meet with the blade mode at the end which I like.

DUH! I was speaking for myself! I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks, I loved Metal Gear Rising and I like Raiden, plus I played MGS1 and I have no idea why people like Gray Fox.
V
V
V
You have no clue why people like Gray Fox? Why do you think people hate Raiden? Regardless of what you think Raiden is still one of the most hated characters in Metal Gear. Just think about it but I doubt you'll understand. Don't take this the wrong way because no offense I'm not trying to act like this makes me better than you but, you're not a Metal Gear fan like me. I've been playing these games from the VERY beginning since I was young. Metal Gear Solid was the game that got me back in to video games after I stopped caring. It is one of the few franchises I've become passionate about. I got me to like video games all over again.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
A
I actually don't disagree with you completely, but to be fair the only person who is going to write a Metal Gear game as it should be written is in fact Kojima himself, you said it best, the man's crazy and it shows in his writing style and Rising doesn't quite have that direction behind it and that does make it a bit of a shame in that regard.

But then on top of that you've got a Metal Gear game that's radically different in style from anything else in the series and i can think of games that have done ALOT worse in that regard, i'm actually glad we got the quality and fun that we got from it.

As i said it could be worse... it could be:

tumblr_lvm2jycoqM1r36gewo1_500.jpg

And let me tell you, the survival horror in that game is all about managing to not ram red hot pokers into your eyes in disgust.
As a Resident Evil fan I had sort of a personal fan obligation to complete every single Resident Evil just because they were there. Good or absolute awful it was a weird little tradition I started with myself for some odd reason I don't understand. So I know all about Gaiden and this game is just hilariously off and awkward. I beat it though.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
You have no clue why people like Gray Fox? Why do you think people hate Raiden? Regardless of what you think Raiden is still one of the most hated characters in Metal Gear. Just think about it but I doubt you'll understand. Don't take this the wrong way because no offense I'm not trying to act like this makes me better than you but, you're not a Metal Gear fan like me. I've been playing these games from the VERY beginning since I was young. Metal Gear Solid was the game that got me back in to video games after I stopped caring. It is one of the few franchises I've become passionate about. I got me to like video games all over again.
Your right about me not being a metal gear fan like you, because I never knew much about the MG franchise till I played MGS4 last month. Then I played all the other games and became a huge fan. I often thought people hated Raiden in MGS2 because he was just a pussy then and not a badass like Solid Snake, but I liked Raiden when he showed up in MGS4 and he was even more awesome in MGR. But I have no idea why people think Gray Fox is so awesome, he was crushed by REX almost without a fight.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Y'know...I don't think Raiden is nearly as hated as you like to think he is. I can name quite a few characters that rate pretty high on the hate list. People were ****ed that they got played by Kojima and Raiden took the spotlight in MGS2, but there are a lot of people who like them. I love Raiden as a character, almost as much as I like Solid Snake, mostly because he has a very involved past that makes him a very unique character. "Jack the Ripper" is a very interesting idea that plays well as a contrast to Solid Snake's sordid past. Snake's past was all this covert shenanigans and stuff behind the scenes, while Raiden's past is all laid bare and much more raw and violent, something that the world saw.

Also @Rayl - I believe it's mentioned somewhere in this...

...haven't had a chance to look over it again, and it was over two years ago when I had watched it >.<

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think MGR was ever intended to be some kind of new DMC, so no, it's obviously not a DMC game. It does remind me of Bayonetta in how goofy Japanese it can be, but that's kind of Platinum Games's (original creators of DMC1) staple.

I haven't played the full game, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to perform Zan-Datsu. You get a lot of those moments when you hang upside down or whatever and the game slows down for you to perform Zan-Datsu. Well, just ignore that.

Rising has very fluid and pretty awesome gameplay, from what I've seen. Camera issues, well, not much worse than in DmC or previous DMCs, I guess. The characters may be a bit stereotypical, but so are many other video game characters. What matters most to me is how interesting they are, and 'interesting' comes in many forms. Hope they'll develop an MGR2.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind

Come on, I love Raiden (since his reintroduction in MGS4) but Gray Fox takes the cake even more. I've played Metal Gear Solid for the first time; Gray Fox is indeed awesome. A Cyborg Ninja yet he uses freakin' STEALTH! He has a stealth camouflage unlike Raiden. I dunno if there is a stealth camouflage in MGR.

I think you're basing your hate on Raiden on the way he was introduced in MGS2, especially with Solidus being the second to final boss.

Y'know...I don't think Raiden is nearly as hated as you like to think he is. I can name quite a few characters that rate pretty high on the hate list. People were ****ed that they got played by Kojima and Raiden took the spotlight in MGS2, but there are a lot of people who like them. I love Raiden as a character, almost as much as I like Solid Snake, mostly because he has a very involved past that makes him a very unique character. "Jack the Ripper" is a very interesting idea that plays well as a contrast to Solid Snake's sordid past. Snake's past was all this covert shenanigans and stuff behind the scenes, while Raiden's past is all laid bare and much more raw and violent, something that the world saw.
Solid Snake's past of being an agent/soldier and being a clone of a man known as Big Boss (which he calls Snake 'son') while Raiden is being a child soldier and a pawn of the Patriots.

Seems legit.

Your right about me not being a metal gear fan like you, because I never knew much about the MG franchise till I played MGS4 last month. Then I played all the other games and became a huge fan. I often thought people hated Raiden in MGS2 because he was just a pussy then and not a badass like Solid Snake, but I liked Raiden when he showed up in MGS4 and he was even more awesome in MGR. But I have no idea why people think Gray Fox is so awesome, he was crushed by REX almost without a fight.
Oh yeah, Gray Fox tried to stop REX where the pilot is none other the Liquid. He has a cannon, sooooooo he died fighting.
I hope you're not missing Snake Eater because it's the one that started it all, story-wise (where you played a young Big Boss). Then Portable Ops. Peace Walker is the best PSP Metal Gear Game. Ever.

Top Bottom