• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Metal gear Rising can't possibly be DMC5 (Or in place for DmC)

crush

There has been a lot of debate about this. Also in this forum...About MGR.
Allright it's not about DmC much but...We've been talking about this about 1.5 years. It's about time we should make a end of this. This can't be DMC and wasn't meant to.

"Platinum games-The makers of DMC- is making a new action game with guns and swords again! But this time with silver hair!"
All right I was kidding about the hair...Well anyway I just bought it and played the whole game. And will post my thoughts. And opinions.
Because of the fuss, I thought this game will be like DMC (Or DmC). It has lock-on, your delay combo...even stinger. After playing it a while, it is indeed a inovative fun game....but I began to realise it can't be in the position of DMC. Here is a short list of "differences" you would experience if you thought this will be DMC5.

1. The camera is chaotic more than the DMC series.
Yes, it's terrible. Not only the enemies off screen shoots you with hailstorms of RPG's,if you lock on a enemy and it happens to go off screen it continues to follow the enemy you are locking...and suddenly it shudders or shows a queer angle that I can't possibly see my foes. The flying enemies and gorrila type enemies always manage to pull this trick. I'm begining to think if their AI knows this.

2.It's quite much dynasty warriors
There is a elaborate combo list...but because of the camera it's quite common to fail to do stinger or hightime in MGR. You'll find youself resorting to flail upon your enemies quite blindly.
This game is not meant to make combo's from the start. It's near impossible to get no damage and the game system is designed for it. You can hold 5 auto-gold orbs and one of the bosses even drops loads of these.

3. No, It's Asura's wrath.
I like the cutting sequence, but after about 4hours playing it...I was very getting tired about it.
And I realised "This is basically a QTE." The ZAN-DATSU system happens VERY often nearly automatically and if you manage to make your battery bar full, one sliding dash would make you enter this mode. Which basically means a one-hit kill. Okay, now this is a totally different game allright. DMC never had QTE's and everyone knows that. No?

4. =A very new game. Metal gear revengence.
I just said these are like ""cons" but this is if you compare to the DMC series and try to squeeze MGR into the series. The ZAN-DATSU is wearing but is satisfying. And I like it. (Maybe in the future you can stroke your hands in the air to do this or something.) Raiden is a entertaining character and even has his Devil trigger! That he turn red and...umm...
But anyway, This game is in no way a successor or anything! It's even in the title! And has nothing similar combat-wise. It's actually not even like Bayonetta. (More like Asura's wrath if you tell me.)
I suggest that these meaningless competetions should end.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I don't agree with the Asura's Wrath comparision at all. MGR combat system may not be DMC3/4 deep but it can hold on its own. It's more like Ninja Gaiden if anything.

And if you are flailing on your enemies, I think you are doing something wrong. Parry and dodge is quite essential to the game later on when you meet tougher enemies.

I do agree that the camera needs to be fixed.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
I think the ones who are actually reasonable in their comparisson between the two games mean that "rising is a better hack n' slash game than DmC will ever hope to be" or something like that.

But that's still a bit dumb, since they are so far apart from each other, so it's a matter of opinion in the end.

I don't agree with the Asura's Wrath comparision at all. MGR combat system may not be DMC3/4 deep but it can hold on its own. It's more like Ninja Gaiden if anything.
And this.
Also, anything Rising and DMC have in similar is because it's just the way Platinum makes their games. The same goes for bayonetta by the way. It's Platinum style of making games.
They created it, they keep trying to refine it.
Kinda like, hm, Ninja Theory and their "cinematic game" style. Except they did not created it, but it is a trend in their games.

crush

And if you are flailing on your enemies, I think you are doing something wrong. Parry and dodge is quite essential to the game later on when you meet tougher enemies.
I do agree that the camera needs to be fixed.

I find it very weird that flailing upon enemies is actually...quite effective though.
When you see the enemy flash red you can parry that in almost any timing. I know it's best to just-block. But the game will be more QTE-ish than ever if you do it.
I've never played Ninja Gaiden, but is it truely like this?

I think the ones who are actually reasonable in their comparisson between the two games mean that "rising is a better hack n' slash game than DmC will ever hope to be" or something like that.

But that's still a bit dumb, since they are so far apart from each other, so it's a matter of opinion in the end.

I can't say which is "good" because I'm now quite purplexed if MGR is even a hack-and-slash or meant to.
It's a entirely new game. But in the hack-and-slash competition. I think DmC is more simpler and accesible without stress in combat.

crush

I agree with MultiBro, it reminds me more Ninja Gaiden.

Just looked at Ninja gaiden 3...Erm, mates I think you're right. It seems these gamestyles were already made.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. (Damn the Japanese gaming community! I never even touched this cool game!)
But anyway...This game is no way comparerable.

ZeroLove

MGR is pretty much it's own game. It's not alike DMC enough to be called "the next DMC" at all.
If MGR was supposed to be the next DMC, they f*cked up even harder than Ninja Theory did with DmC.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Just looked at Ninja gaiden 3...Erm, mates I think you're right. It seems these gamestyles were already made.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. (Damn the Japanese gaming community! I never even touched this cool game!)
>Ninja Gaiden 3

5QOg5q3.gif

Why would you do that!? Ninja Gaiden 3 is the worst Ninja Gaiden ever. I recommend watching videos of the first and second game.

Fun info: Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 exist only on Xbox but then they got ported to PS3 with the new name Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2. Some differences, mostly costumes and playable characters.

Ruisu

Razor's Edge it's actually very good. Too bad it's only for the wii-u

Martius

SSSmokin!
I said it reminds my series, not failure which was 3. I had a lot of fun with hard Ninja Gaiden 2. From what i know reminds does not mean it is identical...
On other side Ninja Gaiden 3 reminds me DmC.

Ruisu

I said it reminds my series, not failure which was 3. I had a lot of fun with hard Ninja Gaiden 2. From what i know reminds does not mean it is identical...
On other side Ninja Gaiden 3 reminds me DmC.
Now you're just being nasty.

Soupie

Why are we bringing this up again? Why lump a hack and slash game with a different sort of hack and slash game?

You don't see people throwing Far Cry 3 and Bioshock 2 in the same list, because their mechanics were designed in a totally different way.

Ruisu

But Ninja Gaiden 3 had like one combo, one sword, and most of the game played by itself, not to mention how much of the game was absurdly repetitive.

DmC lowers the difficulty and loses some advanced combat potential in the process, NG3 makes almost the entire game a QTE and loses even casual fun potential.

scionicspectre

Yeah, the whole concept of putting MGR in DMC's place is malarkey. I don't see how you can justify it- there are so many logical fallacies flying around because some people just don't want to accept the basic reality that DMC is living on through DmC. I really will never understand why people indulge in this.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Yeah, the whole concept of putting MGR in DMC's place is malarkey. I don't see how you can justify it- there are so many logical fallacies flying around because some people just don't want to accept the basic reality that DMC is living on through DmC. I really will never understand why people indulge in this.
I will compare MGRR and DmC only because they are in same genre. I was disappointed with DmC demo, on other hand MGRR demo was positive surprise for me so choosing which game i will buy was obvious.

Top Bottom