• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why I Avoid Platinum

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Platinum can make some fun games, but like I said before, they're all style and no substance. That works for some things, but I can't subject myself to that all the time. Games have a lot more potential as an artistic medium.

Let me put it this way, they're the "Popcorn" game company.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
True. They really are.

I was especially dismayed to learn that they had won out against Monolith Soft when it came to developing the new Star F0x.

After seeing the new Xenoblade Chronicles game, I can only imagine what MS would've brought to the table...

-------------

Edit: You know what else I'm afraid of?

That they'll somehow obtain the rights to Kingdoms of Amalur. Sure, the game might end up being above-average, but there'd also be a lot lost in the process, in my honest opinion.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I actually like Platinum's sense of just making fun games that don't have to always have substance. Like sometimes I just wanna play a game where I can hack away at stuff without having to think too deeply about the combat, and just have a ball killing evil things. Thus, Bayonetta (Bayonetta 2 technically)

The only thing I don't like is that their games lately have been very short. Transformers Devastation, looking at you.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Who could have guessed. So this thread is to spill poisonous baseless opinions because they objectively one of the best action games makers out there. What a surprise.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Didn't we already have this thread from you a while back?

This one?
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/im-boycotting-platinum-games.17311/

Who could have guessed. So this thread is to spill poisonous baseless opinions because they objectively one of the best action games makers out there. What a surprise.

Well, there's nothing wrong in disliking a company (when there's a good reason to), but this thread just came out of the blue because another one was going off topic, and instead of dropping it altogether...

Yeah this is kinda pointless indeed. So let's try to make a point out of it.

Platinum Games all style and no substance? Well **** yeah I say. With soooo many games nowadays trying sooooo hard to elevate themselves to some sort of art (and not all managing...), I welcome with open arms games that do what they are meant for: having fun.

There's nothing wrong in trying to be a piece of art. But you know, "il troppo stroppia" (excess is bad). Games need to be diverse. If a game is "all style no substance", that doesn't make it a subclass game. As long as it is well thought out and developed, it's no less of a good game than an "all substance" one.

Not all games need to be committed. There's nothing wrong in celebrating gaming in its primordial purpose of just having a good time, hacking and slashing like no tomorrow in gameplay, and/or watching crazy over the top scenes in cinematics.

Platinum does that. A popcorn company? Maybe. But as long as it's tasty popcorn, gimme two, please.

That said, the concept of "il troppo stroppia" applies the other way too. It's good to have this kind of games in the market, but I feel for those worried about Platinum getting too many licenses in their hands as well. They could execute them well, but sometimes you just wanna see a different style for a game.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Fair warning: Make sure you keep to your points as to why you're for or against Platinum Games as a company. Remember that it's your opinion, but at the end of the day, not everyone is going to think the same as you. So keep arguments away, please. I will be keeping an eye out here, and won't tolerate bickering - not since I gave the other thread a quick check and saw nothing but arguments - you all know the possible consequences here, just keep that in mind. Thanks.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with making games the way Platinum makes games, I actually like Platinum, but I don't think they're some godsend. And excuse me if I just don't mind games that also try to provide different and more worthwhile experiences.

Even if they make fun games, those games still have problems from a development perspective. I can't say I've played a game from Platinum that absolutely blew me away even if I still enjoyed them (MGR/ Bayonetta 1 & 2)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And excuse me if I just don't mind games that also try to provide different and more worthwhile experiences.

Excused. Also because I too don't. I just said that games don't NEED to necessarily be like that to be good or even worthwhile for that matter.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Fair warning: I will be keeping an eye out here, and won't tolerate bickering - not since I gave the other thread a quick check and saw nothing but arguments - you all know the possible consequences here, just keep that in mind. Thanks.
Thank you.

It seems some people out here have a vendetta against me and have overlooked the fact that the mods would've just told me to create a new thread instead of renewing one that was out-of-date anyway.

By all means, keep a close watch on this thread. I suspect nothing but trouble from those who mean to smear my character.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Vergilius: Let's not worry all too much about that (not unless it becomes an apparent issue here). I did also notice that thread was a long time ago, so there wouldn't have been any point in bringing it back.

And not that I'm choosing sides here or anything, I just don't see the issue for someone to be against something. Obviously if you discuss something and aren't talking positive about it, other people will class that as hatred. However, it's no different to talking about something in a positive manner. Both sides have just got to be mature enough to listen to each other's points, that's all really.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
That's right.

All I said is that I would be avoiding Platinum, nothing more.

Their games may be fun for some individuals, but their tone and over-the-top style just isn't suited to my tastes.

---------------

Edit:

I also don't think that there's anything wrong with asking your favorite (or even least-favorite) developers to do more with their games.

This is why I wanted Ninja Theory to be more like Warhorse; their objectives run parallel to each other.

---------------

Back on topic:

I guess the tipping point for me was when Platinum gained the rights to TMNT.

Everyone bad-mouthed the latest Turtles game that had come out a while ago -- however, they'll definitely shower praise for this entry once Platinum releases it -- even if it ends up getting 6's and 7's like Legend of Korra did.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@Foxtrot94 Sorry its just another "bashing" topic. If I make topic "I think Ninja Theory sucks", it would be closed in under the day. And sorry @LordOfDarkness its not "discussion" topics. Basically when topic summarised as "they suck" is simply meaningless. If you ask question or want to discuss something you wont say "they are bad. period".

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I remember there being a thread for unpopular opinions. Mostly everyone was able to express their thoughts there, and hardly anyone really had a problem with it. I don't see why the same thing can't be applied here. In my opinion, just because a particular view doesn't coincide with your own, that does not make it baseless 'bashing'. I've already said what I wanted to on the matter in my other posts. Vergilius is aware that I'll be carefully monitoring this thread. And should things get worse, I'll take the appropriate action.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I remember there being a thread for unpopular opinions. Mostly everyone was able to express their thoughts there, and hardly anyone really had a problem with it. I don't see why the same thing can't be applied here. In my opinion, just because a particular view doesn't coincide with your own, that does not make it baseless 'bashing'. I've already said what I wanted to on the matter in my other posts. Vergilius is aware that I'll be carefully monitoring this thread. And should things get worse, I'll take the appropriate action.
If I remember right, unpopular opinion or ranting thread exists specifically to not to flood forum with bashing topics. And it makes it bashing when topic creator makes thread with only intention to say "huh they suck, who's with me?" I kinda thought we're still on DMC forum and not on 4chan.

Top Bottom