• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

why all this pessimism about Dmc ??

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
The stances allow for the on-the-fly weapon changes, as well as literally limitless combos. And changing player experiences is really down to the players themselves to be honest. I for one am very welcoming to the stance idea as it does seem very refined, having only 2 alter forms as opposed to 4, and without the need to adjust My thumb position on the controller to hit a certain direction on the D-pad.

I like how simply holding a certain trigger changes My abilities then and there and once I've done all I want to, I can let go and I'm back to normal Rebellion combos, or I can switch over to the other form. Plus, we haven't seen all the available arsenal and what can be done with it.

The stances also go beyond just combat, they're also required for certain platforming segments throughout the game.

But getting out of just combat alone here, the whole concept of the World being alive and aware of Your presence, and without warning dragging you into an alternate state of reality, albeit a much more dangerous and threatening one, is quite impressive.
Except changing weapons on the fly was added in DMC3, and in this it is the same weapon in a different form.
To change weapons in this game, you must use the d-pad which you just criticized.

TBH I WANT THIS GAME TO BE GOOD. But Capcom and NT have failed to impress me. And honestly Me and Capcom aren't on good terms after the DR3 announcement revealed That it would not be connected to Case West. That really turned me away even though the game sounded fun And Rick sounded like an interesting character.

Plus ( and yes even after all we have seen I am still going to bring this up) New Dante isn't Dante. I hear all this criticism about old Dante spewing out one liners, when all New Dante does is spew out curse words. He has some great comebacks, but IMHO he is worse than DMC4 Dante

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
About the curse words Dante uses in the new DmC: I didn't mind that, really. But would I like to see Dante and his enemies have a repartee? Yes, I would, but it's not easy to think of something like that. Even the old DMCs didn't have that - just a lot of gibing, which isn't better than what you see in DmC, I think.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
He meant changing styles with d-pad vs changing styles with shoulder buttons, and yes DMC3 did invent the changing of weapons on the fly, but only between two of them except Vergil who had three weapons, the point was changing stances with shoulder buttons and d-pad is used to swap normal, angel and demon weapons to assign those three types of weapons into three different stances... ;)

mrrandomlulz

About the curse words Dante uses in the new DmC: I didn't mind that, really. But would I like to see Dante and his enemies have a repartee? Yes, I would, but it's not easy to think of something like that. Even the old DMCs didn't have that - just a lot of gibing, which isn't better than what you see in DmC, I think.
I don't mind when characters curse either , the "anti son of a bitch machine" speech from halo is pretty damn cool. But this new Dante cursing is forced
He meant changing styles with d-pad vs changing styles with shoulder buttons, and yes DMC3 did invent the changing of weapons on the fly, but only between two of them except Vergil who had three weapons, the point was changing stances with shoulder buttons and d-pad is used to swap normal, angel and demon weapons to assign those three types of weapons into three different stances... ;)
Yes but

If you are trying to be stylish then the demon stance is goddamn useless.

In DMC3 I could easily change from rebellion to Agni and Rudra without having to hold the damn button.

I saw the button layout and it looks like they were banging their heads against something heavy. I mean really, The dpad should just remain what it had been in previous dmc's, useless

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I don't mind when characters curse either , the "anti son of a bitch machine" speech from halo is pretty damn cool. But this new Dante cursing is forced

not from what i can tell. i dont think the insults are forced at all. hell you dont know how damn infuriating it is when a bouncer stops you cause youre "not on the list" when you clearly are. so i love Dantes reaction. and remember in the scene with poison it isnt Dante whose foul mouthed its poison. Dante actually remains surprisingly calm and insults her back a lot less than youd expect.

Yes but
If you are trying to be stylish then the demon stance is goddamn useless.
In DMC3 I could easily change from rebellion to Agni and Rudra without having to hold the damn button.
I saw the button layout and it looks like they were banging their heads against something heavy. I mean really, The dpad should just remain what it had been in previous dmc's, useless

aaah but here you can switch mid combo so you can maintain your perfect SSS style without slowing down. its a lot easier to stop holding a button than to press it twice to get the weapon you want while trying to maintain a perfect chain of attacks. as for D-pads i have the opposite opinion. i hate it when a game ignores the d-pads. there there one way or another so a game should use them to improve the gameplay. further more i dont mind their button lay out. it looks practical and practised im using the dodge buttons as my proof.

mrrandomlulz

aaah but here you can switch mid combo so you can maintain your perfect SSS style without slowing down. its a lot easier to stop holding a button than to press it twice to get the weapon you want while trying to maintain a perfect chain of attacks. as for D-pads i have the opposite opinion. i hate it when a game ignores the d-pads. there there one way or another so a game should use them to improve the gameplay. further more i dont mind their button lay out. it looks practical and practised im using the dodge buttons as my proof.
Yeah but I could switch weapons mid combo in Dmc3

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
It seems to me, that folks really want to know the story behind this game more than anything else. We saw the game play and while many people have mixed feelings about it, the story line is what we all really want to see. The worrying is about story I think.

mrrandomlulz

True, but it is a lot harder to push a button twice than it is to let go of a button, or use the d-pad.
That's what he was trying to say.
yeah but that's another stupid thing.

They are trying to make the game playable to casual gamers. DMC was never supposed to be easy

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014

They are trying to make the game playable to casual gamers. DMC was never supposed to be easy

I think Easy Mode wants a word with you. :troll:
True, however from a marketing point of view making games accessible for newbies is how these guys make money. My cousin stopped playing DMC3 because he couldn't beat Jester (first time in SE) because it was hard for him. (He was 18 at the time) Plus they say they had "hardcore DMC players" play the game and he had no negative feedback from them.

McdD

Ignorant and closeminded - That's me :D
I think Easy Mode wants a word with you. :troll:
True, however from a marketing point of view making games accessible for newbies is how these guys make money. My cousin stopped playing DMC3 because he couldn't beat Jester (first time in SE) because it was hard for him. (He was 18 at the time) Plus they say they had "hardcore DMC players" play the game and heThey had no negative feedback from them.
Indeed.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Except changing weapons on the fly was added in DMC3, and in this it is the same weapon in a different form.
To change weapons in this game, you must use the d-pad which you just criticized.

I wasn't talking about the changing of weapons, I was talking about the changes of stances/styles. In DMC 4 changing the style changes what can be done with that one weapon you currently have equipped, or what Dante himself can do (Block, Dash), in DmC changing your stance literally changes the currently equipped weapon's form and also what can be done with it, as well as changing what Dante himself can do (Angel teleport/Demon Slow-Mo evade).

And yes, You are correct, DMC 3 certainly introduced on-the-fly weapon swaps, but You could only ever choose from 2, and to change them either required visiting a Statue or restarting/finishing the mission, in DmC, You have every weapon, all the time.

And I wasn't necessarily criticising the usage of the D-pad, all I meant was that without the need to constantly change styles, Your hand can remain relatively in the same comfortable spot for longer. Currently we've seen a handful of SSS combat rankings from only the Rebellion/Osiris/Arbiter combo, so it isn't likely that it will be an absolute necessity to keep constantly switching weapons using the D-pad if you're going for massive scores. For example, in DMC 3 I played through the entire game using only the Trickster style, Rebellion and Beowulf, along with Ebony & Ivory and Spiral. I very seldom needed anything else except for a few key fights where another weapon/style was more effective, and I have an S rank on every mission on every difficulty.

TBH I WANT THIS GAME TO BE GOOD. But Capcom and NT have failed to impress me. And honestly Me and Capcom aren't on good terms after the DR3 announcement revealed That it would not be connected to Case West. That really turned me away even though the game sounded fun And Rick sounded like an interesting character.

Plus ( and yes even after all we have seen I am still going to bring this up) New Dante isn't Dante. I hear all this criticism about old Dante spewing out one liners, when all New Dante does is spew out curse words. He has some great comebacks, but IMHO he is worse than DMC4 Dante

McdD

Orihime agrees with me. Extra Size BooYaaah!!
Well look at it from this view:

Give a easy controll layout to a novice (casual gamers), and they will do well.

Give a easy controll layout to a hardcore player and they will break the screen with combos.

P.S hope you noticed the grammar correction. Pointed it out to help you improve your english :)

EDIT:
Does gamers who stop playing DMC because it's to hard know that it has automatic mode? (or is that only in DMC 4?) Automatic mode is just you pressing a button, and character does combos by itself.

Razyel

Soul Reaver

Easy and responsive are two different things, it's like there would be two cars: one with top speed of let's say 100 mph/160 kmh and the other with top speed of 200 mph/ 320 kmh, now regardless of their speed if you're a bad driver, you will crash no matter how fine your car is.
Same goes with the controls, if you're a bad gamer regardless of the controls you will fail on the harder difficulty settings, unless the game itself is badly balanced...:cool:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well look at it from this view:

Give a easy controll layout to a novice (casual gamers), and they will do well.

Give a easy controll layout to a hardcore player and they will break the screen with combos.

P.S hope you noticed the grammar correction. Pointed it out to help you improve your english :)

Good point. And what was wrong with my English huh, huh? I have you know I was in Honor English classes when I was in school. :troll::p

McdD

Good point. And what was wrong with my English huh, huh? I have you know I was in Honor English classes when I was in school. :troll::p
I am pretty good writing english, but i am always grateful if someone points out my mistakes without a mocking intent. Look above in my post to see what i THINK you used wrong.

Should be a standard of grammar use despite we're pretty much "chatting" (internet).

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I am pretty good writing english, but i am always grateful if someone points out my mistakes without a mocking intent. Look above in my post to see what i THINK you used wrong.

Should be a standard of grammar use despite we're pretty much "chatting" (internet).

You had grammar mistake4s in your post friend lol.
I'm teasing you about all this, I'm just having fun. No worries. :)

Easy controls for the win! LOL

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Easy and responsive are two different things, it's like there would be two cars: one with top speed of let's say 100 mph/160 kmh and the other with top speed of 200 mph/ 320 kmh, now regardless of their speed if you're a bad driver, you will crash no matter how fine your car is.
Same goes with the controls, if you're a bad gamer regardless of the controls you will fail on the harder difficulty settings, unless the game itself is badly balanced...:cool:

thats actually a pretty decent comparison. not to mention that now they have "automatic" in both cars and DMC so you can acheive combos with but a push of a button.tbh i hate it when a game has an insane difficulty spike. i swear games are the only art form that punish you if you arent good at them. never have i read a book and it asks me "what are the main themes so far?" my silence and confusion then causing it to shut and lock itself so i cant access the rest of it . but im just ranting. my point is a game should have simple controls that anyone can use but allow pros to be creative and gameplay that compliments a players talent and skills

Top Bottom