• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I asked my husband and he didn't approve this.
Pfff. Spoilsport.
:cautious:
:ROFL:

By the way, a question to native English speakers: how do you... perceive my nickname? I don't know how to even ask this in any understandable way. Just that "therogis" is pure nonsense to me and I've been wondering if it resembles anything with meaning for native English speakers. Such as "the rogis" or... something.
That's a good question! I've been reading your screen name as "the rogis". As far as I know, "rogis" doesn't have meaning as an English word but could easily pass as a surname, a company name, or the plural term for a LOTR-inspired fantasy creature (there are orcs and elves, and then there are rogis, etc...). It does have meaning in Latin as an ablative and dative plural of "rogus" which means... a funeral pyre, or a grave.

:D

Fun stuff!

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Pfff. Spoilsport.
:cautious:
:ROFL:

That's a good question! I've been reading your screen name as "the rogis". As far as I know, "rogis" doesn't have meaning as an English word but could easily pass as a surname, a company name, or the plural term for a LOTR-inspired fantasy creature (there are orcs and elves, and then there are rogis, etc...). It does have meaning in Latin as an ablative and dative plural of "rogus" which means... a funeral pyre, or a grave.

Fun stuff!
Learning new words here again...

Wow, I feel entitled being a "The". :ROFL: "The Rogue" would also be great. Goes well with my business plan:"Rogue Legal Counseling, solicitor services from both sides of the table"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
A couple years ago, before the pandemic, I applied for a job at a school way up north. Got no answer for two years and NOW they're contacting me, in the middle of Covid mayhem, and with the impossibility by law to leave my region.

Excellent timing, boys. Not that I'd go up there even if I was free to move, it's one of the more dangerous zones contagion wise.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Learning new words here again...

Wow, I feel entitled being a "The". :ROFL: "The Rogue" would also be great. Goes well with my business plan: "Rogue Legal Counseling, solicitor services from both sides of the table"
If "The Roguish" weren't grammatically confounding, it'd work too. "Rogue" works because it's a noun, "Roguish" is an adjective and needs something to describe following it.
Hmm...
Hey, maybe you could be The Rogue, working in Roguish Legal Counseling.
Best of both worlds!

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
If "The Roguish" weren't grammatically confounding, it'd work too. "Rogue" works because it's a noun, "Roguish" is an adjective and needs something to describe following it.
Hmm...
Hey, maybe you could be The Rogue, working in Roguish Legal Counseling.
Best of both worlds!
Considering that I'm really NOT a native speaker, "The Roguish" is not a problem for me :D

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@therogis your nickname sounds cool.

Been thinking about BLEACH lately and what would happen if Ichigo was a Fullbringer from the start?

Someone mentioned Young Sherlock Holmes reminded them of Artemis Fowl. So would we call Young Sherlock Adult Artemis now ;)?

Artemis Fowl Chapter Two?

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
In case you've always thought that a lawyer's work mostly involves tricky murder cases and accounting frauds, I'm here to inform you that one of my tasks today required browsing through sofa catalogues, and finding evidence for my argument, that in the relevant retailing business it is very common to offer several available colors for a piece of furniture at once.

Somehow this reminds me of the Union Court landmark case, where the major topic of the 25-page judgment reasoning was careful deliberation of how bananas are different from any other fruits in the world. (Not kidding, I can search that in English for you if anyone is really that interested.)

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
In case you've always thought that a lawyer's work mostly involves tricky murder cases and accounting frauds, I'm here to inform you that one of my tasks today required browsing through sofa catalogues, and finding evidence for my argument, that in the relevant retailing business it is very common to offer several available colors for a piece of furniture at once.

Somehow this reminds me of the Union Court landmark case, where the major topic of the 25-page judgment reasoning was careful deliberation of how bananas are different from any other fruits in the world. (Not kidding, I can search that in English for you if anyone is really that interested.)
Aha! I just knew occupations that wind up dramatized in crime procedurals are vastly more mundane in real life! Next thing we know, a marine biologist will come and confirm that their work has enough downtime to mess around and make porpoise puns.

Sign me up for banana facts. All I know about them is that the modern ones we eat are vastly different from what actual "wild" bananas look like, and are an oft-ignored example of genetic modification because very few people know what wild bananas look like.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Aha! I just knew occupations that wind up dramatized in crime procedurals are vastly more mundane in real life! Next thing we know, a marine biologist will come and confirm that their work has enough downtime to mess around and make porpoise puns.

Sign me up for banana facts. All I know about them is that the modern ones we eat are vastly different from what actual "wild" bananas look like, and are an oft-ignored example of genetic modification because very few people know what wild bananas look like.
Studying law is not really as fancy as some people think. For example, when we had our course of Environmental Law, we all had to learn by heart what is the legal difference between a river and a brook. I can tell you that no one actually needs that information in their profession...

Also, as I'm a lab assistant by my earlier profession, I can tell you that those fancy liquids in a laboratory are usually transparent. In popular culture they tend to be bright blue/green/red etc. Really, they're not. And usually the rule is "The less colour, the more dangerous".

For the banana facts, let me present you: United Brands versus Commission from 1978.
In case you are not familiar with legal texts and have no interest in analyzing the structure, I'll just show you a screenshot from page 272:

bananas.png

... And this, dear ladies and gentlemen, was the Most Important Case to learn for the Competition Law exam. (Not by heart, of course, but we had to be able to nominate it and tell about its judicial effects in Competition Law.)

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
To be fair to these banana facts, if you ever have to consult for a criminal trial where someone poisoned their victim by spiking a non-banana fruit smoothie (to hide the taste), they would never, ever be able to cite that "there were no bananas in the store" or "the bananas in the house were too ripe" as a reason for why they used another fruit, because of the specific fact about production exceeding demand. When has a store ever run out of bananas?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
To be fair to these banana facts, if you ever have to consult for a criminal trial where someone poisoned their victim by spiking a non-banana fruit smoothie (to hide the taste), they would never, ever be able to cite that "there were no bananas in the store" or "the bananas in the house were too ripe" as a reason for why they used another fruit, because of the specific fact about production exceeding demand. When has a store ever run out of bananas?
I have to admit that I've never thought of it from THIS viewpoint... :'D

--

I bought Civ6.

Me when beginning multiplayer with my husband: "My play style is diplomatic, not warfaring"
Me after 45 minutes:
"Wanna threaten me, eh? Take this, Roosevelt *takes over New York* Oh, Gandhi didn't like it... *starts moving catapult towards his capital*"

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Currently thinking:

The argument around tone indicators on social media would mostly disappear if people got it into their heads that

1. They are not entitled to immediately respond to something that they don't understand and isn't towards them, especially not to the point of aggressively reading it in bad faith as opposed to asking for clarification first.
1b. If a "retweet" of the thing didn't clarify what it was, it's a 50/50 on "the retweeter understands the tone" or "the retweeter is taking advantage of the divorced context to elicit a reaction". People are still not entitled to fly off the handle and read the text in bad faith. They do not know the OP, and that's called being an asshole. It's the equivalent of overhearing a comment in passing while walking by someone. Let it go.
2. As a corollary, the OP does not need to say absolutely everything they think and blast it on the internet if they know it's going to be misconstrued and perceived as inflammatory because they're not among good company. The "/nbh" tag is useless because maybe, you really should just keep the vent to yourself. You're on the internet. The thing you're using the internet on has its own offline "Notepad" function. Act like it. Type that thing out, offline, give it an hour+ to sit there, and then delete it.
3. If there's already a level of mistrust between the reader and the writer, a tone indicator really isn't going to fix that. A troll won't tell you they're a troll. A question posed entirely to concern troll someone over the internet can be deflected with the "/gen" tag. You are literally trusting some person over the internet with how you read something and letting them tell you what to think.
4. Not everyone needs to be included in everything when it comes to in-jokes, double entendres, etc. It's not at or about you. Go away.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Disappointed with the standard of spelling in local journalism.

The Staffordshire Live online news site reported about a supermarket promoting Fair trade chocolate items...

...apparently they contain over 75% pure coca.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Ever since I was accepted to the law school, I've had a dream of working in the field of social law and child welfare, especially in foster custody issues. If I am able to use my skills in anything good in my life, I'd really like to help those kids who are fighting through the same situations I had to face in my childhood. For me, it is a calling like no other in this profession.
I've never thought that dream would have any chances to become reality, because I thought I'm too traumatized and never strong enough to help anyone else.

Well, by accident I got involved in a rough case related to custody and child welfare. Ofc not giving out any further info, I know my ethics. The thing is... I'm not feeling anxious at all. I had to recuse myself from some aspects of it, but it was not because I felt in any way biased or unable to take part in it, I had to do that simply because that is the law.

So... I think I'm ready to work towards my calling. Not making any long-term decisions though because it was just one case, but I had a nice conversation about it with a senior lawyer and I think it's worth a try.

Probably aiming at least for research and doctoral study possibilities here.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I am losing so much faith in PlayStation and Sony as a gaming entity.
Sony Studio Japan gets shut down and everyone of those people that made those games is leaving. Not only have they made some of my favorite games but they've made my favorite Playstation games and sony ran them out. Not profitable enough. I get that. I get that your average wanker only cares about the trends, what everyone else is playing and brand recognition. The thing is, and I've said this before, Sony has thrown away some outstanding gaming experiences to the curve in order to make the same game with a different skin time and time again. Take any of the games in their new logo, replace the characters in each with one another and you'll only be able to tell them apart when you put enemies in the background, and even then, it's not going to be much of an alteration to incorporate them to their new setting.
Gravity Rush 2 managed to become a personal favorite of mine even before I finished it and with this the promise of a 3rd game is dead and buried. Sony and Playstation keep distancing themselves from all forms of Japanese gaming while, ironically, trying to monopolize on anime because, let's face it, it's profitable. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, your employees all have to eat and live, but it's not as passable when you think about it and realize that they would not hesitate to discard it all the moment they got no money from it anymore. Hell, if they saw enough crying from social media they'd weight the benefit of kicking it overboard to profit margin and go with whichever one they can bleed more.
Not only that but now they are shutting down the store for anything that's not current gen. Playstation did this on purpose. I wouldn't have thought so before but with Microsoft putting a backwards compatible machine with notably less effort than Playstation is doing you know that this is their shortsightedness coming back to bite them. The PS3 is a perfect example of poor decision making when they went for complicated engineering over continuing the infrastructure they had before. Closing those stores shows me, once again, that they are only interested in chasing the cash flow, not in maintaining, preserving or even progressing the industry, the artform, they are working on, just the money that it makes them.
Why would anyone give brand loyalty to a brand that shows no loyalty? Well, I know why. I've done it. I've been there. Not so much anymore. So much of what drew me in to it they are discarding. Make no mistake, right now they are trying to distance themselves from the Japanese gaming market as much as they can, to not be thought of as a Japanese brand but if, for whatever reason, there was a surge in popularity for Japanese games again they would try to move their headquarters back to Osaka and try to play it off as some 'we were here all along' BS before you knew it.
Like the film industry, you have to make money. That's what those big blockbusters are for. That's what most people will see and how you sustain your company but you also make things that are long lasting. For every 10 garbage horror movies there was an Exorcist or Psycho, for every Transformers film catalog you got a Mad Max. For every stupid Twilight type movie you got A Letter to 3 Wives or a Casablanca. They might not be the ones that bring in the cash but they are the ones that lasted. To me, that's what playstation threw away. The things that lasted and the only reason I never switched, no pun intended, was because I had a huge collection of digital games dating back to the PSP. Well, bollocks to that, ey.

Top Bottom