• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I took part in a kind of big (in this country's scale) writing contest lately, and a while ago I got to hear that I'm among the finalists!! The top 25 out of nearly 200 :jawdrop:

I'll let you know when I'm informed about whether I got on the award list or not :) Exciting times! I might raise a glass tonight.

Just received an invitation to the award ceremony. I'm among the top 10 O____O

I'd like to scream atm but it's soon midnight here and my cohabitants wouldn't like it, so I'm keeping it in. Just that... Wow. No words. Top-fcking-ten. It's going to be published as well.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
It seems that something that I already gave up on ever happening is now coming true.

I'm just wondering whether I can trust this feeling or not. I'd like to celebrate a bit, smile and let it all out, but I don't know... I already had to go through the disappointment in this thing during this year and it was a bit too devastating for me in person.

I'm trying to think that it's really happening now, I've got this and I can celebrate, and if this thing comes back flaming to my face, then it's just meant to be that way and I've got a plan B anyway, so I'm not gonna burn my fingers in this.

Easier said than done.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It pains me to see how id Software put so much attention and care towards Doom while disregarding and neglecting Quake this much. A stark contrast to the late 90s, when both franchises were healthy and successful.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
It pains me to see how id Software put so much attention and care towards Doom while disregarding and neglecting Quake this much. A stark contrast to the late 90s, when both franchises were healthy and successful.
I think this is more to do with the changing gaming landscape. Doom survived this landscape because it is easier to market and sell. Quake and Unreal can't survive the Call of Duty juggernaut, unless they have enough money to combat Fortnite and Call of Duty.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
unless they have enough money to combat Fortnite and Call of Duty

Which Bethesda and id absolutely do. But for some reason they decided to develop Quake Champions as a partially outsourced project (they did the same thing with Quake 4, and its reception wasn't the best, I guess they learned nothing from that), not using the id Tech engine, which led to the game having subpar support, technical issues and non-existant user customization and creation tools, something that's been a core part of the Quake experience for like, 20+ years now, and that they gave to Doom for some misguided reason, a franchise that maybe about 5 people in the world have any interest in playing mutiplayer.

They let Saber Interactive basically guide the direction of the game when id and their tech was the one that was needed to make it flourish. It didn't need to make COD or Fortnite numbers, it just needed a strong leadrship. It's not like the game didn't have potential to reach a considerable amount of players, when it went F2P it reached 17k concurrent players on Steam. Not all of them would have stuck around, for sure, but a better managed game would have kept a decent playerbase, gone out of Early Access and lived on alongside Doom. They could have even kept their precious lootboxes for cosmetics if they were so worried about profits.

The whole thing was miguided from the start. They went on record saying that they planned on having Doom as their singleplayer FPS flagship franchise, and Quake as their MP one, yet they developed Doom with the engine and tools to have a multiplayer experience that's rich in content and user-centric (a defining and beloved characteristic of old Quake) while outsourcing Quake Champions. It doesn't make any sense by their own intents and purposes. It should have been the other way around, like in the Q3 days. I betcha if John Carmack had been still around, this wouldn't have happened.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The writing gods have been good to me the last few days. I shall have to offer them something up as thanks (and also in the hopes that I can keep this fire lit).

+Why is it I'm either not hungry until almost dinner time (in which I become ravenous) or I want to eat all the food around the clock? Why is there no middle ground, body? :cautious:

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
Something to think about:

For anyone whos ever played the first Halo. In the beginning of the game, when everyone is escaping the Pillar of Autumn, have you ever wondered why the passengers of every other escape pod that crash landed survived, and those aboard the one Master Chief's didn't?

It was because Master Chief was on board. Every seat was filled, but it was the last available pod, so he stood in the isle. The weight of his armor exceeded the maximum capacity of the pod, which caused the parachute mechanism to fail, killing everyone in the impact.

Yet, if Master Chief hadn't taken this pod, he wouldn't have been around to turn around a losing war, freeing earth from the clutches of a genocidal alien ececclesiarchy. The sacrifices of those men and women aboard that pod saved humanity, and it was almost completely glazed over.

The point of this is that history is built on unknown and unremembered sacrifices, and we never can know who all to thank for what we have today. Remember the unremembered.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Little PSA on a topic simple buy often misunderstood.

If you've been working out to lose weight, DO NOT stop during summer. It is the time of the year that facilitates fat burning the most. The heat is your friend in the pursuit of this goal, use it.

Top Bottom