• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Sorry for the double post, but finished Everless by Sara Holland. Given it was shorter than Vicious and took about 3x as long to finish it, it's safe to say I didn't really dive into this book. That's not to say it wasn't interesting, it just didn't really hook me. It's really slow moving story, which I usually love, but after 360 pages I still feel like I know absolutely nothing about this world or what's going on in it. (It would have really benefitted from the expansiveness of third person POV instead of first.) I feel like the plot was supposed to be character driven, but the cast was just too large for that. The ending felt a little rushed (it ended right in the middle of the story from the feel of it) and there wasn't really a climax. Still, there were some bits that were really good, even though a lot of it was just...okay. The cast was also a mixed bag, though I really liked Liam--he went from being unnerving and mildly scary to a pretty cool guy, which I appreciated (he also reminds me a lot of both Vergil and Mr. Darcy, so yeah...just hit my brooding jerk button). I'll probably get the sequel just to see if anything ever gets explained. I think it would have been brilliant if Holland had just taken the time to expand on things and tighten up her plot (though I will applaud her for accurately describing what it's like to be a maid) but, overall, just an okay book.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Just finished The Foxhole Court by Nora Sakavic. Onto the sequels.

Edit: Ended up reading this first.
51Pbull5pNL.jpg

Now onto this:

41hs6ejOCsL.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
A little late, but I finished Caraval by Stephanie Garber yesterday and I still don't really know what to say. Some of it was really good, some of it was...meh. But, mostly, it was just really confusing. The ending felt cheap, as well--it also felt like the writing deteriorated as the story went on. But the overall premise of the story was good and most of it was enjoyable, also the setting was gorgeous. I liked the whole "remember it's just a game" thing and the truth behind it.

There's one problem this book really made me aware of with YA in general and it's that it seems like authors are scared of making characters that are normal or plain-looking. Especially male characters. In Caraval, Julian, Dante, and "Legend" are the only male characters with focus on them and they're all ridiculously pretty. In Everless, Roan and Liam were the only male characters Jules' age that got focus and they were both ridiculously pretty. It's not like it's a new trend or something, but it's hard to focus on a story when everyone in it is a 12 and the author is constantly reminding you of that. If you're gonna make them pretty, you don't have to constantly shove it down our throats. But why not go for the realism of having people be totally average? Or, better yet, don't tell us if they're pretty or not. Let us decide on our own. Idk, it's just getting annoying when serious scenes are being interrupted to promote how pretty some dude is.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Now that I'm done with the All in the Game series (Foxhole Court, The Raven King, and The King's Men) I'm reading:

51s4DPCu62L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I swear, the old comics are comedy gold. :laugh: So much over-the-top dialogue and blatant good vs. evil going on. Interesting to see how different Strange is here when compared to Strange Origin and the MCU. If he was an egocentric a-hole before this issue, it doesn't show here.

Edit: Okay, some mention of his past arrogance, but no actual sign of it thus far...and I'm about halfway through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom