• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
9780747532699_l.jpg

I've probably read these books about a dozen times or more, but it's been at least a few years since the last time, and I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, so... Hopefully I'll marathon all seven (since last time I think I wound up getting sidetracked after book 3 or 4.)

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Having renovations done on the house so when I got home from work the entire first floor was out of bounds. Luckily a package arrived containing a Volume of manga so I sat in the backyard under a tree and read it whilst I waited.

TAqSQxNl.jpg

Read the first Volume of "Getter Robo: Devolution". It's basically a grittier 21st century reboot of a classic series, in the same vein as the recent "Devilman Crybaby" anime. The rough premise is extra-dimensional beings are coming to Earth and the only way to stop them is with the Getter Robo - a mech that needs three pilots channelling the mysterious "Getter Rays" in order to power the mech. Of course it would be the only three people who survived being touched by the radiation are three extremely dysfunctional young men. But together they might overcome their differences yada yada yada, you get the drill. Think Evangelion but darker and much less philosophical wank.

VengeanceSavage

All that you were programmed to be afraid of
I'm ironically reading awful 90's rob leifeld comics, they are hilarious in all the wrong ways. I mean, just look AT THIS. AHAHAHAHAH What a character design XD HAHA If anyone tells you 90's were awesome, show them 90's comics.

I'll admit that's a pretty kickass character design, just out of personal preference, but the artist's over-emphasis on swole, steroid junkie characters is just ridiculous.

whats the blood meridian about sounds intersting lets put a star on that book

Blood Meridian is an incredibly bloody (as you might expect) Western novel. It follows the journey of a teenage runaway (referred to only as "the Kid") as he joins up wtih a gang of professional scalp hunters on the US-Mexico frontier. I won't spoil anything, but it's probably the goriest novel I've ever read, and the character of Judge Holden is so intimidating that he might as well be embodiment of Lucifer himself. Blood Meridian is based off the confessions of a real-life 19th century scalp hunter (although scholars believe this source to be not all that accurate).

One thing to be aware of is that Cormac McCarthy's writing style doesn't include a lot of punctuation. There are no quotation marks for dialogue, no exclamation marks, nor even apostrophes for most contractions. It's very stripped-down and hard to get used to at first, and it doesn't exactly help that Cormac looooooves him some run-on sentences. BUT - his imagery is ridiculously vivid and there are a lot of really standout lines of dialogue and metaphors that really stick with you after reading. Judge Holden's "war is God" monologue is definitely up there with the most badass villain speeches (and most philosophically terrifying).

What I'd really recommend is The Road, also by Cormac McCarthy. This book my favorite book of all time, bar none. It's post-apocalyptic fiction at just about the grimmest and most realistic it can possibly get. There are truly disturbing scenes in that book, but also heartwarming and sad ones. You feel really invested in the two main characters, and you don't even get to know their names! The Road also got a movie adaptation in 2009 which was excellent.

Last edited:

Aisen66

thanks for writing an awnser i like the wild west i saw a movie about it the other day staring scott eastwood
i liked the tittle of your book because it reminded me of a word from the matrix the movie i thought it was sci fiction at first they used to play these american cartoons in cuba and there was a song about how some inidians puting on make up took a rain of bullets from this famous cowboy and thats how the desert got painted with its colors very cool im currently looking for the first book in english i ever read named red angel haha i know is a dark book but i want to find it theres like 2 sequels now and i,ll be able to understand it better .thanks again

Aisen66

rebel make us a poem from one of your books that you write i want to see if you can win a million dollars one day with one of your books or just by keeping on reading books like that one harry potter you can do it read everyday books to kids on prekinder

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
What's this? A book that I've read that isn't from Japan? Say it ain't so! :laugh:

"The Good Assassin" by Paul Vidich.
51MvYKi03jL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Set in sunny Havana during the late '50s, ex-CIA agent George Mueller has been roped into one last job to investigate the Agency's suspicion that one of their men has gone rogue and is supplying Castro's insurrection with weapons. Whilst staying with a old friend who has become a rancher on the outskirts of Havana, Mueller becomes involved in more than he bargained for - a family breaking apart under the weight of lies and corruption in a country burning from the flames of passion and sin. Can Mueller do anything to help the suffering? Can he even make it back home alive?
So yeah, a pretty solid spy drama - especially for being only the second book written by Vidich. It's a little rough around the edges, the beginning in particular is a slow burner that might turn people off but it was worth sticking through. And though I have seen the same concept done even better by veteran writers, I would still recommend this to anyone looking to get into spy drama literature and I will keep an eye out from now on for any future works by Mr.Vidich.

Top Bottom