• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Forgot to update my reads. Since reading Aerie, I've read:

-Ragged Heroes: An Epic Fantasy Collection

-Ranger's Folly by J.T. Williams

-Spider-Gwen, Vol. 4: Predators

And just finished:

30042726.jpg

Edit to avoid double-posting:

-Finished read-through of MoI
-Finished Doctor Strange, Vol. 2: The Last Days of Magic.

Now to start the read-through of DoV.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Bit of a mix - still working through Job commentary, plus the Ten Commandments thingy previously mentioned...but also some supernatural thrillers by Ted Dekker and about to dip back into Wheel of Time.

Because I like to give my brain a hard time.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
jp0064.gif

Despite having read all of Ranpo's collected works a long time ago, I ended up with a copy of this on my desk and out of nostalgia, I ended up reading it. Man, unlike Ranpo's horror stories, the Akechi series had a much rougher beginning as these four short stories in the anthology are all over the place in terms of narrative style. Without going into spoilers, the first two stories are told in first person perspective from a nameless character who serves as the typical Watson character. The latter two are in third person either from an omniscient narrator or by just jumping from various character perspectives. The first two stories are also more traditional Golden Age detective stories (locked room murder and phantom thevies), whilst the latter have horror/supernatural elements infused which Akechi must debunk using his powers of reasoning.
Anyways, what interested me more was the translation itself. As I read it, I couldn't help but feel I was reading a Sherlock Holmes novel or something. And by the end I realised why - despite being translated in 2014, for some reason the translator really tried to capture the time period feel of Japan by using a Victorian-esque style of writing. Things like "gay" appears a lot throughout the book in its original meaning as well as other... not anachronisms, but I can't think of the right word. It was really weird, but once you got used to it then it wasn't too bad.
But whatever, it was a decent time waster for a few hours and while I would recommend other works by Ranpo more, sadly a lot of his work simply isn't available in English. Also Seishi Yokomizo is the best writer of JPN detective fiction and you can fite me on that. :tongue:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
finished reading Uncanny inhumans volume 3/4 and Inhuman versus x-men. Decent end to Charles Soule'e run on Uncanny Inhumans but Inhuman versus x-men is an acquired taste (albeit with good art)

started reading Titan comics's Tenth doctor year one volume 1. Great art and nice followup to the Tenth doctor's tenure on tv.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I finished The 11th doctor volume 1. Its a fun book with some new adventures for 11. The art is an acquired taste. The 3 new companions are companions i wish the show had, even if one of them would be super expensive to pull off.

I finished Ms.Marvel vol 7 and 8. Volume 8 is probably my favorite story for her so far.

I started reading X-factor volume 1 by peter david. Its about a mutant detective agency run by Multiple man. An oldie but a goodie.

Aisen66

im about to start reading a christian book mother gave me and this book named beautiful lies :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
33309047.jpg

I actually read part of this on Wattpad...I dunno, 2 years ago, maybe? Anyway, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the writing is fairly well done, if a bit Tolkienesque in its descriptive meandering. On the other, there are a number of errors, like tense shifts, dialogue that's repeated (like right after it was said--so an editing malfunction), and scene changes that are abrupt (because they aren't marked in any way. So we suddenly go from this character doing this thing, to another character doing something else--when the characters are nowhere near each other.)

It's playing havoc with how I'm going to rate and review it, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :unsure:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Tokyo Ghoul. It's one of those things I avoided for so long because everybody kept telling me how great it was, and I'm one of those people who will keep putting it off if you hype something up a lot. But I'm finally reading it now, and it's amazing. I can't believe I waited so long to give it a shot.

Aisen66

rebel what is it about your boyfriend ,s secret haha i can tell you what the house of the scorpion is about nancy farmer is the boss i love her muuuaaah

Last edited:

Aisen66

rebel send me some books if they send me back to my country because is extremely boring over there i didnt even had a vcr so i see you got good taste in books i want to read what you read and we can talk about it in letters after in spanish of course because they would have had erased my mind when i get there ,they,ll say in havana how bout them cuban yankees uh and then i,ll be free but if they take me back i wont come back i have tried to go back but no such luck now i want to stay but if i dont get a job soon i might just leave forever i,ll miss your movies and video games :(

Top Bottom