• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
So I re-read the first volume of "Golden Kamuy" in preparation for the anime adaptation coming in April.

I see people jokingly describe the series as "Snow Country for Old Men" as it's set in the harsh snowy climate of Hokkaido, an ex-soldier from the Russo-Japanese war stumbles upon clues to a hidden stash of stolen gold and now has battle against not only criminals and the military who want the gold, but also mother nature itself.

So yeah, a real good mixture of historical drama + intense action. Like the first chapter is the main character having to survive against a bear in the wilderness that's carrying off his map to the gold.
I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes this sort of drama. :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Been reading this the past three or four days, and just finished it:
51RGL6mQ4yL._SY346_.jpg

This one wrecked me as much (if not more so) than the last one, Draekora. I still find some of the overly-gushy friendship stuff a bit cheesy, but I'm pretty sure that's just something to do with me personally. The storytelling is otherwise fantastic, and I have developed a pretty big soft spot for certain characters. Typical that one I was most fond of died. Because what the hell else would happen, after the author went through the effort to make said character so effing lovable? T_T

Aisen66

he died because he was not strong enough to go to jail it would had killed him ,yeah i know your taste in characters vergil for example he was not strong enough to defeat dante it would have killed him hahaha

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Recently been catching up with some comics on Webtoons that I used to read a few years back but have since been completed. The Star Wars comic was good (of course). Faust (college student makes a deal with a demon possessing the body of a boy he has a crush on) and Orange Marmalade (which is about vampires living amongst humans, not...jam) both started out rocky but ended pretty nice, imo; I appreciated that the endings weren't totally clean and perfectly wrapped up. Especially for OM, since the biggest theme was dealing with racism and that's...not something you can neatly wrap up. Especially with the cast being students. Untouchable (also about vampires) was...I'm not sure what to think. I didn't like the MC til about 100 chapters in--she was actually really pushy and selfish and that made it really hard to like her. But the characters' growth was very nice. I think the person who wrote it wrapped it up too nicely though--spoilers, but everyone got a happy ending...and I do mean everyone. I'm contemplating attempting to finish Girls of the Wild's (fighting comic) while waiting for the fantasy comic I've been reading to update, but I seem to recall that comic taking an express trip to what-the-f***-is-going-on-ville...and I don't know if I wanna sit through 264 chapters of nonsense....

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dragons, gods & spirits from Chinese Mythology.

Because I've got a 50k word count to churn out so why the heck not read something completely irrelevant?

-
Also finished Buffy The Vampire Slayer, the High School Years, the graphic novel.
It was just a rehash of the very first episode. Not impressed. Don't read Buffy graphic novels anymore, DS.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
51QQV5hauCL.jpg

This is going to make me sound petty, but honestly, all you'd have to do is read a page--any page--and you would see pretty much the long and the short of this book's problems.

I kind of hate that I was right. I called it--she wasn't ready to launch this. It reads exactly like the first draft does, which tells me one of two things: 1) All her talk of editing was B.S. or 2) She ignored the advice of whoever she had as an editor--assuming said person was even providing editing services to begin with. Given the "finished product", I have my doubts.

Chances are, despite all her talk of wanting honest ratings and reviews, I'm probably going to lose her as a friend when I finish this. At this point, I don't think I even care. I'd rather be honest, than be just another one of her friends or family members kissing her ass.

Thunderkrat

Naomi Alderman The Power Peter Cook Tragically I was the only Twin Stephen King Clive Barker Bernard Cornwell John Updike and inferno by Dante Aligheri

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
By chance, a copy of this newly published book - "A Normal Family: Everyday adventures with our autistic son" ended up on my desk and I read it in my lunch break. It was a fascinating, if sad read of a family's trials and tribulations to get through life and make the most of it despite the son's disability. :unsure:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Sequel to Wintersong (which is a sort of reimagining of the Erlking/Goblin King story).
30694168.jpg

Enjoying it so far. It's a fair bit darker than the first, dealing with mental illness in a very realistic way--none of this romanticizing it garbage. The writing can be a little purple at times, but I think that's owed to the first-person narrative (the chapters dealing in third-person don't have the same issue, and given what time period the main character comes from, I figure it makes storytelling all the more authentic).

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
So I, about two seconds ago, finished reading Vicious by V.E. Schwab. I've been putting off reading it in case I didn't like it and...well...that was an unnecessary concern. I really enjoyed it (evidence by the fact that I read almost 400 pages in something like 4 hours LOL). I thought it was a really interesting idea that was handled really well and really intelligently. However, I did have a bit of a problem with the layout of the book--it has the same problem I have with a lot of fanfic writers where the chapters are kinda awkward and unreliable in length and it was hard to know whos POV it was in at times given how much it jumped around which, imo, made it hard to focus on the story (I got up to pace around the room quite a few times just to clear my head to be able to keep reading, which I don't do often). But the story itself made up for it when the confusion faded. As did the characters. I really liked them, especially Victor. I think he was handled well, balancing enjoyable anti-hero and complete a-hole better than...90% of books I've seen with anti-heroes recently. Eli, though, I hated. Then again, I loathe when people try to hide their atrocities and poor character behind religion and such, so screw you, Eli. Sooooo...yeah, that's it. It was nice. I might see if mum wants to read it.

I desperately need new books. -sobs-

Last edited:
Top Bottom