• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
f8a3380295b19eeda7578641be782cbe.jpg

Considering I haven't read any of the others books in the series and this one is apparently the last one, it was pretty darn good. Good to get the writing mind ticking (funny that some of it reminded me of my own work), good for motivation, good enough that I didn't want to put it down for two days until it was finished.
There's some tips in there to learn, for me anyway.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Just finished The Architect of Song by AG Howard. Uuuuuhhhh...I don't know where to begin with my thoughts on this book. I guess I should say I generally like this author and the worlds she creates. But this one...idk, I just felt like it was lacking heart? None of the characters were particularly gripping, especially not Juliet or Nicolae...which is odd for the main couple in a NA book to feel like. Chaine was the only one I ever really connected with and it was still...not so much. I guess it just felt flat. (And I saw the twist coming so long before the reveal, with nothing to contradict it, so that didn't really help.) It was okay, though...I might pick up the next book, since it apparently has an entirely new cast, but I don't have super high hopes.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Been reading about the kings and queens of Great Britain from the beginnings of recorded British history.

Our royal family is so messed up.
The (real life) Game of Thrones is indeed a crazy thing. Power drives people to do weird things. o_O

CT: Man, I'm addicted to this Shogi app right now. Can't. Stop Playing... quick, send halp!
--EDIT-- Gah, put that thought in the wrong thread. You saw nothing! :eek:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/3...ing-at-state-dept-involvement-in-russia-probe

"We are in the middle of what I call phase two of our investigation, which involves other departments, specifically the State Department and some of the involvement that they had in this," Nunes said.

"That investigation is ongoing and we continue work towards finding answers and asking the right questions to try to get to the bottom of what exactly the State Department was up to in terms of this Russia investigation."

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The House of Hades by Rick Riordan (fourth book in the Heroes of Olympus series). I'm about a fifth of the way in, and so far (emphasis on so far), I'm liking it better than the previous book. It feels like Rick Riordan is making more of an attempt to take the characters' trials seriously in this installment (whereas a lot of the time, it felt like he backpedalled with some of his other works by throwing in too much levity when the situation otherwise would have benefitted from the tension). But that's just my opinion; I can't really cast dispersions, considering his work seems to dance on the line between middle-grade and YA, and he was probably trying to prevent things from getting too dark as a result. :unsure:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
CfWimOeUsAEytHs.jpg

On a whim I bought "Infini-T Force" manga Volume 1 and it turned out to be a really good read. The basic surmise is that a young high school girl named Emi one day gets a "Possibility Pencil" from a mysterious stranger that can bend space-time depending on what she draws. Some time later she gets involved in a store robbery and is about to be killed when she wishes upon the pencil for a hero. From across dimensions, four legendary heroes were summoned to fight the evil that threatens the world. Those heroes are - Gatchaman (pictured above), Tekkaman, Hurricane Polymar and Neoroider Casshan. Basically, all an excuse to have a crossover of Tatsunoko's four most iconic franchises and surprisingly it works.

I guess I just have a soft spot for old-fashioned superheroes. :tongue:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finished Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (final book in the House of Hades series). I actually really liked it, for the most part (I still am not a big fan of Riordan's versions of the gods, but that might just be because I'm very set in my own interpretations, lol).

Now I'm reading:
510l71wssdL.jpg

This version of Apollo is equal parts amusing and irritating (depending on how I hear his voice), but I think overall, I'm probably going to enjoy the rest of this book and the series.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
latest
Due to a number of conflicting, real-world setbacks, I haven't had a lot of time for reading as of late. But now that things have simmered down, I've had a chance to sit down and read through the first of the Del Ray era of Star Wars novels, as well as the first of the longest and most ambitious story arc in the history of the EU: The New Jedi Order, with its first entry, Vector Prime. I'll be honest, I heard a lot of polarizing opinions regarding this arc, but after clearing the book, all I can say is this: THIS is the next generation of Star Wars adventures we SHOULD'VE gotten.

This arc has it all: the new, non-Empire, non-Force threat that is the Yuzhaan Vong are the complete opposite of the new canon's Worst Order and their soyboys Crylo Ren and Genral Husk: menacing, competent, calculating, and most importantly, ENTIRELY original to the point where they're completely foreign to everything in the SW universe. Their culture and design is so Giger-esque and estranging that I'm desperate to see more of them. The new protagonists in the form of the Solo children are all likable and unique, and steal the best moments in the story. The duel of philosophies between Jacen and Anakin, Jaina's waning bond with her mom, the trio's Force Telepathic starfighter battle, and that shocking scene with Anakin that simultaneously proves the benefit of a well-wrtten subversion (one that Rian Johnson should take note of before he pinches out another cinematic turd) AND the fact that you can have a dooming, apocalyptic threat without it being another tiresome Imperial Superweapon.

But the best scene by far is the duel between Mara Jade and Yomin Karr, as the first proper duel between the Jedi Order and the Vong. My favorite EU belle steals the show, yet again.
latest
Tied with Vision of the Future as my favorite EU novel. If the rest of the New Jedi Order Arc is as good as this, then I'm in for literary bliss.

31140332.jpg

I am fangirling so, so bad right now. <3 I feel like I've been waiting for this book for an eternity. :inlove:

@WolfOD64 Have you had the opportunity to get your hands on this yet?
As much as a Thrawn fanatic as I am, my milage for the Disney Canon's Star Wars books is quite short. Even with top-tier writers like Timothy Zahn and James Luceno, the New Canon is constrained by the suffocating grip of the Lucasfilm Story Group, essentially relegating anything that isn't in the movies as uneventful one-offs that don't offer a whole lot in the way of impactful storylines or interesting revelations.

So I think I'll pass. I'm sure it'll be a fine read since Zahn is penning it, even if it won't be an eventful one, thanks to his creative constraints.

Moving on to the Thrawn Trilogy, now. I've read these books at least 4 times before, the last time being...gods, probably 7 years ago, or so?

Returning to them gives me the warm fuzzies. :inlove:

thrawn-trilogy.jpg
I made a massive mistake putting off reading this trilogy for so long. It took The Farce Awakens' outright dismantling of my investment in Disney's canon to properly give them a chance, and I'm so happy I did. Thrawn is one of the best Star Wars villains hands down, and Mara Jade may be my favorite character in the Expanded Universe period.

I still have to get hardcovers for each of these. I see them every now and then at my local Half-Price Books, but never scoop them up for whatever reason.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@WolfOD64 Aww. My feelings regarding the new canon are pretty mixed too, so I can understand and respect your reasons. The trilogy I posted weren't my copies, but the same versions I have (my dust jackets are pretty beat up, and the pages are somewhat yellowed with age). I hope you can get your hands on them. ^^

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Rise by ShrewdStrawberry on Ao3. It's one of the few, if only, fanfics for the first Fable game that I really, really like. It spins everything quite nicely and it's received nowhere near the attention it should have. I actually have no idea where the plot's going, but it's a good thing because...honestly, I kinda expected it to follow the original plot, but it's deviating in ways that are quite nice. The only problem I have with it is that the author has made every single chapter 12k+ words. And there's so much happening (99% of it serious) that it's kinda exhausting to read much in one go. Otherwise, it's really nice and I hope the write updates one day....

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Robert McKee's Story.

My screenwriting mentor got me a copy for my birthday. I encourage everyone whose a writer or interested in being one to check it out.

I also reread Taking Orders for Nobody by Cheddarbiscuit. Its a Jak and Daxter and Kingdom Hearts crossover. Its probably the best KH/Jak and daxter fanfic but that niche is pretty slim.

The writer does a great job integrating the two casts/setting. Jak and Sora weren't so different from each other in their respective first games so that colors how Jak post Jak 2 interacts with Sora in the midst of KH2.

Shame its a dead fic of 26 chapters.

Top Bottom