• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
"Occultic;Nine" Volume 2 came out recently so I snapped it up as well and read it. :thumbsup:

485f98876963e83468b4046e_1476145569.jpg

The tragedy alluded to at the beginning of Volume 1 has finally happened. 257 people were found dead in the lake in the middle of a park. They weren't there yesterday so what's going on? Meanwhile our protagonist Yuta is slowly losing his grip on reality, hearing voices outta nowhere, being assaulted by a demon and finally being framed for a crime he didn't commit. The Nine weirdoes are slowly coming together as they discover a dark conspiracy surrounding them.

So now begins the wait for Volume 3. I'm sure it'll come out soon - "May 2018" ... uh, maybe not. :'(

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
latest
Just finished tearing through the second half of the Hand of Thrawn saga, Vision of the Future. I have to say, even within the short distance I've covered into the Expanded Universe in regards to novels, this one is undoubtedly my favorite by far. The pacing and dialogue is the best of Timothy Zahn's work, and he unravels the mystery of both Thrawn's survival and the conspiracy of the Unknown Regions flawlessly. Seeing the Empire divide into factions of those who were war-weary and desperate to surrender versus the vitriolic angry side hell-bent on extracting revenge on the Rebel Alliance really adds a sense of believably to the Imperial side, and legitimacy to their ultimate downfall and conclusion of the Galactic Civil War...WAY better than how it's sloppily handled in the Disney Canon. The Empire doesn't lose one final battle and organize a truce with its tails between its legs...it crumbles from within, with the last surviving faction departing the New Republic with dignity and honor, much like Lee and the Confederates at the end of the Civil War.

But by far, the best thing about this book is the long, intricate, and unfathomably-satisfying journey of Luke and Mara Jade bonding over the course of the story. I'd heard for years that their romance was a big highlight of the EU, and this novel didn't disappoint...such a brilliant deconstruction of their characters, and organic chemistry that makes the bloom of their feelings such a rich experience. I screamed like a fangirl when the eventual "confession scene" happened. Quite possibly my favorite romance in Star Wars, period.

A magnificent closing chapter to the Bantam era of published Star Wars novels, a triumphant conclusion to a decade of Galactic Civil War, and a salivating showcase of the new story era that's to come. What a fantastic read...I cannot wait to see what comes next.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium

Reading "Ajin: Demi-human". Basically it's about these abnormal humans who discover they have immortality. The series explores what would happen in a society that suddenly had to adjust to these supernatural beings appearing. It reminds me a lot of both Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul if anyone's read either of them. I'd definitely recommend this series. :thumbsup:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Rereading The Forbidden Game series. Haven't touched it in about 5 years and now I've gone through it in two days. For the first time in a long time before I stopped reading it, I actually am really into this series again? Not just nostalgically, but actually invested in it. The only thing is, my opinions on the characters and the plot has drastically changed and it's leaving me...unsatisfied? I think that's the word I'm looking for. Hmm.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finished The Mark of Athena and honestly, I'm kind of disappointed with it; way too much filler. Also noticing some "lather, rinse, repeat" tendencies Rick Riordan has between this series and the Percy Jackson one that are kind of making it difficult to feel fully invested in...well, pretty much anything. That said, I will continue on with it a bit later, since the build up for Book Four (The House of Hades) seemed promising.

In the meantime, I'm reading:

I originally read it on Inkitt...was it 2 or 3 years ago? Anyway, not much has really changed between then and now. It definitely seems to have improved a bit, but I'm reserving judgment until I'm done, since I am noticing some things that bug me about it.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

So far it's okay, but not great. I mean, I get that it's aimed at children--but plenty of books aimed at kids are well-written and have more interesting storylines than a lot of adult fiction. The pacing has been a bit jarring, but maybe once I pick up the reading pace (I've been slow; coming off holidays does that) I'll find it more enjoyable (if not particularly well-written. "Testing metal" instead of "mettle"--I mean, come on, really? This is why so many people can't distinguish between the two; because of sloppy work on the writer's part).

Maybe I'll sneak it onto kiddo's bookshelf when I'm done...:whistle:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
These arrived in the mail today:

DSj-5iWWAAgTuCA.jpg:large

So far I've been reading for over two hours, uninterrupted, and I'm a quarter of the way through The Keeper's Vow. If anything's going to pull me out of my current slump, this'll be it. Warts and all, I'm really enjoying it. So glad Francina Simone doesn't disappoint. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom