• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was The Reboot Really Necessary?

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Well as far as i know reboot definition it's just restart of the universe, so MK9 fits in it, since it's not sequel (it's basically retells MK1,2,3 and 4 from scratch.) Though definition of reboot is very vague, so maybe it's just depends on personal point of view.
i can dig that

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Not exactly. Devil May Cry also talked a lot about being human.
That's just hilarious considering how outlandishly Dante refused to act like a human being. I have yet to run into a single human being who acts or talks the way he does, let alone fixate his man-child motivations around eating pizza and partying.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
The Tomb Raider reboot took away a lot of the platforming and puzzle solving in favor of generic run and gun shooting (sorry, bow and arrow too) with Uncharted's scripted "gameplay" that just has you obeying instead of playing.

And Lara herself isn't anything like her previous self. Lara isn't some whiny annoying workaholic female and just putting her through loads and loads of gratuitous violence won't get her to become the headstrong self empowering badass treasure hunter she becomes. She would probably be just seeking some f#cking therapy.

She was just a victim of circumstance in the new game.

Lara has an origin you know. She was stranded in the Himalayas and found herself struggling for survival discovering an ancient sword in which the experience spurred her to seek other adventures around the world where she spent years traveling and picking up many different types of skills as a thief, mercenary, etc.

Dante was never that much of a character to begin with and what makes Dante Dante is how he's basically a superhero who slashes and shoots demons all while being cocky and spouting some one liners. DmC has that when you get right down to it.

Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot is like almost the polar opposite of what the actual Lara is. She fears danger and feels helpless with confronted with this sh!tty situation. Sure she starts blowing brains out later but, it's all because she's got no choice but to proceed or die. Not like the original who on her own free will became a relentless thrill seeker and badass.

I'm all for making Lara more than the video game sex symbol but, beating her up is not doing any better. In fact, for about as much as she is effed up in the reboot you'd think it was the developer's fetish or something.
I found the new Tomb Raider fun, but I never played the original games or the revival by Crystal Dynamics. Because of that, I probably will never understand the disdain towards the game...but I can definitely see the comparisons to Uncharted, and believe me, I can totally sympathize when it comes to watching one of your favorite franchises devolve into a derived version of another popular mainstream game.

As for Lara not being the thrill-seeking badass she was in the original, I do believe the developers said something about this game being her first adventure, not to mention having no mentor like Werner to guide her this time. Maybe this adventure is what transforms her into the familiar Lara, and layers her with the necessary experience and confidence as a Tomb Raider. In that regard, her development reminds me of Dante's in DmC: an inexperienced (or indifferent/unsympathetic, in his case) character who's set on the path to become the person he was always meant to be.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
That's just hilarious considering how outlandishly Dante refused to act like a human being. I have yet to run into a single human being who acts or talks the way he does, let alone fixate his man-child motivations around eating pizza and partying.
then you're either looking in the wrong places or not at all. there are tons of people who act like dante in the world

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
just going over some of the things in the thread, i'm coming to the conclusion that it's ok for certain reboots' main protagonist to be drastically different from their paternal counterpart but not another? that just blows my mind, but i can deal.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
then you're either looking in the wrong places or not at all. there are tons of people who act like dante in the world

Yeah, most of DMC3 was about Dante ignoring the finer details of his heritage and embracing being a human. It's just silly that the man-child thing is what he exuded 90% of the time >.<

just going over some of the things in the thread, i'm coming to the conclusion that it's ok for certain reboots' main protagonist to be drastically different from their paternal counterpart but not another? that just blows my mind, but i can deal.

Blows my mind too. The thing that always got me was the fact that a reboot is meant to be different, to try new things, and some people get so up in arms about the fact that it is different.

The Final Offer

Flip floppers. Flip floppers everywhere.

Megaman.
Megaman X.
Megaman Legends.
Megaman Zero.
Megaman Star force.
Megaman Battle Network.

Street Fighter.
Street Fighter anime.
Street Fighter 3rd Strike.
Street Fighter EX.
Street Fighter Alpha.

Resident Evil.
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Code Veronica.
Resident Evil Dead Aim.
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon city.

Monster Hunter.
Monster Hunter anime.
Monster Hunter Frontier.
Monster Hunter Diary.
Monster Hunter Online.

Devil May Cry.
Devil May Cry anime.
DmC.

Do you see a trend here? Capcom was doing what they always do with their multi-million dollar franchises. Open. Your. F***ing. Eyes. More Devil May Cry in 2015. It takes how long for 1 Devil May Cry game to be produced? Ninja Theory were the people Capcom chose to make this happen. The original Megaman didn't die when Megaman X came out neither did the other franchises.

It's this fear that was created when one person whined about DmC replacing DMC. Thus, haters were born and swore an oath to bash DmC out of existence because they believe it'd take over DMC's place. All these f***ing cornballs.

Railazel

I think the best way to describe it really is that Dante isn't "good", but he's entertaining, and something doesn't need to be good to be entertaining :p

I still say that while DmC was unnecessary, there wasn't a necessity for anything to begin with. DMC was pretty much dead to Capcom until the idea of DmC. Plus - being unnecessary isn't a bad thing anyway.

I would disagree with that last notion. DMC wasn't dead to Capcom, they just didn't know what to do with the current canon (for some odd reason). Seemingly they tried to do something different but weren't creative enough to really branch out like they wanted to in DmC.

EllDawn

Well, everything has plot holes. You're right when you say that you can't fix all of them, especially when the lore of DMC is so vague. But Devil May Cry was never concerned with plot. The sole purpose of each entry was to replicate an action movie experience. It never tried to be awe inspiring or deep and it laughed at it's own absurdity. It's a series that makes no sense and it relishes in it.

My main problem with DmC was that it almost took itself too seriously, and I was beginning not to have fun with it. Whenever it let loose, it was enjoyable, but whenever it attempted storytelling, it felt a bit pretentious and at times mean spirited. Compare that to Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4, which is choreographed in such a way to make the player feel a whole range of emotions despite how nonsensically that entry fit into the DMC chronology. I'm not asking for a fix to every plot hole in the series. I'm asking for a fun Devil May Cry game.
If I remember right, the first DMC actually did try to have a plot. Dante was more serious, the game was darker and there was supposed to be more emotion. The script just had some terrible lines that ruined the idea. It's the sequels and prequels that really went off-course as far as having a plot that worked. That's when it became more of a joke. It's kind of like the original Evil Dead movies in that way.

I actually never had that problem with DmC. I had fun playing it and felt more for the new Dante than the original.

The first DMC, I agree, did try to make you feel more of a range of emotions. 3 seemed more like they were trying to focus more on the action, just like in 4. And 4 tended to annoy me because of the whole damsel-in-distress thing. I didn't hate Kyrie as much as other characters like her, but I still hated that aspect of the game.

After the reactions to DMC4 and DmC, I wouldn't really bet on getting a new one at all. There's no guarantee of enough people buying them.

Railazel

Capcom had literally said that if DmC had not been made, there wouldn't be anymore. There was never any plans for a DMC5 in the works.

I remember but they said that to further justify DmC's existence when fans were saying that the reboot was unnecessary and thus had no reason to be played. In an interview, they said they were incapable of making DMC different from what it was so they chose Ninja Theory for a fresh perspective. So they've had interest for a long time, they just assumed that they couldn't build the game beyond what it was. This is exemplified by how they've wanted to have a lock- on system that didn't need a button but they couldn't figure out how to do that. NT was the one that came up with the idea of it being analog stick- dependent and whose power and speed modes streamlined the style system, something that Capcom attempted to do with Nero. Besides I don't see the logic in having no interest in an IP just to hire someone to revive it for you and you pressure them to making it as far from its original canon and design as possible instead of just making another franchise. So I'm under the impression that that statement was just to calm the fans.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The logic? "This IP we have doesn't sell well with a large group like we would like - let's get some different minds on this, and make it more broadly appealing."

And your impression doesn't change the fact that it was said. Them deciding to pick up the franchise with a Western take was after Inafune was balls deep in the idea of the occidental style infusion, so they looked at viable IPs.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
1. Saying Capcom never planned to make another DMC is actually not true at all. The only quote connected to it was when NT said that capcom didn't want to make DMC5, which actually meant that they wanted to make reboot instead.
2. Itsuno himself said that they couldn't decide which ideas are suitable for DMC5, which doesn't mean he don't want to do it at all. Than again he was developing DD atm. http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10...ps4-also-rival-schools-3-and-devil-may-cry-5/

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nope, that was truly said. It was in an interview from before DmC came out, which I cannot find because it's buried in the ether and I don't have the time to go rummaging around for it. It was something Capcom had said, not Ninja Theory.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
well Itsuno said something completely different in his interview during the release. He said they couldn't come to an agreement on how to develop DMC5 for long time so they decided to try something new, but i never heard anything about how it supposedly should never been another DMC. Aside from it, shortly after DMC4, Itsuno promised to correct DMC4 mistakes in DMC5.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Don't know what to tell you, man. Other than "couldn't come to an agreement on DMC5" pretty much fits right in with the whole "There wouldn't be a new DMC if DmC wasn't made". Not being able to figure sh!t out is why there wasn't going to be a DMC5. Sooooo...yeah...

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
Nope, that was truly said. It was in an interview from before DmC came out, which I cannot find because it's buried in the ether and I don't have the time to go rummaging around for it. It was something Capcom had said, not Ninja Theory.
I can vouch for you. There was a testimony on the Unreal Engine/Epic Games site that had a similar statement from Capcom. Sadly, it's no longer there since the UE4 site revamp. Times I wished I Ctrl-C'ed. :banghead:
However, one thing I've learned in the industry is that today's statement can be tomorrows contradiction.
That testimony could have been made just the push the game; or it could have been legitimate, only for Capcom devs. to have a change of heart. Only those behind the curtain will ever know.

Top Bottom