• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was The Reboot Really Necessary?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
How Tomb Raider was that different from original? Yes it was new setting (every TR had new setting), Yes Lara had new look (which she deed many times before), yes mechanics were twitched and made a new and it has stronger emphasis on shooting and not on platforming. (than again TR doen it before.). So how is that different? It's still very recognizable as TR.
It was Uncharted, not Tomb Raider. It was less about raiding tombs and more about seeing Lara getting the sh!t beat out of her every five minutes and calling that "character development".

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah, Tomb Raider and Thief were so drastically different from their sources, they were almost unrecognizable. I think DmC resembled a Devil May Cry more than people give it credit for.
Don't even get me started on Thief. Being a big fan of the original games, I was ready to punch someone in the face for what they did in that reboot to the game and Garret himself.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It was Uncharted, not Tomb Raider. It was less about raiding tombs and more about seeing Lara getting the sh!t beat out of her every five minutes and calling that "character development".
Considering Uncharted was based on TR + it was much more open for exploration and riddle solving than any Uncharted

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Considering Uncharted was based on TR + it was much more open for exploration and riddle solving than any Uncharted

The Tomb Raider reboot took away a lot of the platforming and puzzle solving in favor of generic run and gun shooting (sorry, bow and arrow too) with Uncharted's scripted "gameplay" that just has you obeying instead of playing.

And Lara herself isn't anything like her previous self. Lara isn't some whiny annoying workaholic female and just putting her through loads and loads of gratuitous violence won't get her to become the headstrong self empowering badass treasure hunter she becomes. She would probably be just seeking some f#cking therapy.

She was just a victim of circumstance in the new game.

Lara has an origin you know. She was stranded in the Himalayas and found herself struggling for survival discovering an ancient sword in which the experience spurred her to seek other adventures around the world where she spent years traveling and picking up many different types of skills as a thief, mercenary, etc.

Dante was never that much of a character to begin with and what makes Dante Dante is how he's basically a superhero who slashes and shoots demons all while being cocky and spouting some one liners. DmC has that when you get right down to it.

Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot is like almost the polar opposite of what the actual Lara is. She fears danger and feels helpless with confronted with this sh!tty situation. Sure she starts blowing brains out later but, it's all because she's got no choice but to proceed or die. Not like the original who on her own free will became a relentless thrill seeker and badass.

I'm all for making Lara more than the video game sex symbol but, beating her up is not doing any better. In fact, for about as much as she is effed up in the reboot you'd think it was the developer's fetish or something.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
The Tomb Raider reboot took away a lot of the platforming and puzzle solving in favor of generic run and gun shooting (sorry, bow and arrow too) with Uncharted's scripted "gameplay" that just has you obeying instead of playing.

And Lara herself isn't anything like her previous self. Lara isn't some whiny annoying workaholic female and just putting her through loads and loads of gratuitous violence won't get her to become the headstrong self empowering badass treasure hunter she becomes. She would probably be just seeking some f#cking therapy.

She was just a victim of circumstance in the new game.

Lara has an origin you know. She was stranded in the Himalayas and found herself struggling for survival discovering an ancient sword in which the experience spurred her to seek other adventures around the world where she spent years traveling and picking up many different types of skills as a thief, mercenary, etc.

Dante was never that much of a character to begin with and what makes Dante Dante is how he's basically a superhero who slashes and shoots demons all while being cocky and spouting some one liners. DmC has that when you get right down to it.

Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider reboot is like almost the polar opposite of what the actual Lara is. She fears danger and feels helpless with confronted with this sh!tty situation. Sure she starts blowing brains out later but, it's all because she's got no choice but to proceed or die. Not like the original who on her own free will became a relentless thrill seeker and badass.

I'm all for making Lara more than the video game sex symbol but, beating her up is not doing any better. In fact, for about as much as she is effed up in the reboot you'd think it was the developer's fetish or something.
1. She wasn't victim of cirsumstances. She was bend out on finding and discovering Himiko's tomb so she ended up in dire situation which she managed to survive.
2. I played early TR games in Ps2 collection, and all I can say about Lara that she was basically walking breasts with guns without much personality.
3. In the end it all depends on which series we think were best in old age. Because we always welcome changes to series, we liked but thought were flawed, like me with TR and you with DmC. But we always gonna bash if somebody changed tone of out most favorite franchises.
TR reboot is essentially same as DmC one, with only exception that developer of TR had better marketing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
3448236-0288360671-Cilli.gif

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
It is been a year and a half, and the answer
to this question still depends from people
to people.

Personally speaking, NO, the reboot wasn't
necessary but if look at Capcom, that company
is (in)famous for making not so good decisions.
Also, if you think about it, most of the writers here on
this forum came with pretty good ideas for DMC 5; if they can do it, I am sure that writers at Capcom could have done it too. The main motto of Capcom behind the reboot wasn't to fix the story and characters, but to "westernize" that "cheesy, over-the-top japanese anime style" and make the combat more accessible. And they fixed it.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
And honestly, Dante isn't a good character. He's a shallow jumble of 80s and 90s action hero cliches that serve as a power fantasy for the player, and that's why everyone finds him charming. Much like Vergil's "honor", much of Dante's finer points are mostly exaggerated headcanon.

So my belief that he's not as one-dimensional as he appears is a falsehood? You wound me, Two...you wound me...:'(

He's a shallow and fun character, and unsurprisingly when you set out to make characters deeper for a stronger narrative like DmC did, you lose some of that...

...Never mind, I forgive you.

@Pale Rider I'm of the same opinion; it wasn't necessary for everyone, but for the people who needed it done (Capcom) and wanted something different (some of the fans), it served its purpose--nothing more, nothing less.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
How Tomb Raider was that different from original? Yes it was new setting (every TR had new setting), Yes Lara had new look (which she deed many times before), yes mechanics were twitched and made a new and it has stronger emphasis on shooting and not on platforming. (than again TR done it before.). So how is that different? It's still very recognizable as TR.
its not a reboot. it does the same thing DMC3 did. the official title is a reboot (for now) but really, it can fit into the cannon of the previous games

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
its not a reboot. it does the same thing DMC3 did. the official title is a reboot (for now) but really, it can fit into the cannon of the previous games
Hmm...I played with my buddy, and he knows TR better than me. He said there was something about Lara's parents that was definitely different compared to original. I can't say 100% what it was though.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Hmm...I played with my buddy, and he knows TR better than me. He said there was something about Lara's parents that was definitely different compared to original. I can't say 100% what it was though.
it looks, and feels so much like a tomb raider game, it doesn't deserve the title "reboot".

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
it looks, and feels so much like a tomb raider game, it doesn't deserve the title "reboot".
Reboot doesn't necessary means it will look and feel different. MK9 was also reboot, despite it played like older games and had same characters as games before it. It just matter of how you define reboot. Though you probably call TR prequel, i think it's creators think it's reboot.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Reboot doesn't necessary means it will look and feel different. MK9 was also reboot, despite it played like older games and had same characters as games before it. It just matter of how you define reboot. Though you probably call TR prequel, i think it's creators think it's reboot.
mk9 is...i don't know what to call mk9. its pseudo-sequel. it takes place in a universe that is tweeked a bit but for the most part is in the same universe

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So my belief that he's not as one-dimensional as he appears is a falsehood? You wound me, Two...you wound me...:'(

I think the best way to describe it really is that Dante isn't "good", but he's entertaining, and something doesn't need to be good to be entertaining :p

No, even among fans of DmC the general consensus seems to be that it was not necessary.

I still say that while DmC was unnecessary, there wasn't a necessity for anything to begin with. DMC was pretty much dead to Capcom until the idea of DmC. Plus - being unnecessary isn't a bad thing anyway.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
mk9 is...i don't know what to call mk9. its pseudo-sequel. it takes place in a universe that is tweeked a bit but for the most part is in the same universe
Well as far as i know reboot definition it's just restart of the universe, so MK9 fits in it, since it's not sequel (it's basically retells MK1,2,3 and 4 from scratch.) Though definition of reboot is very vague, so maybe it's just depends on personal point of view.

Top Bottom