• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was The Reboot Really Necessary?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I remember Ninja Theory saying something about wanting to make "Devil May Cry 5 with 5% more improvements", or something like that. I don't know which interview, though...so don't quote me on that.

I do know that Keiji Inafune was the Capcom Dev who greenlit the idea of a more "western" DMC game in its early incubation period.
Ninja Theory thought they were making DMC 5 when Capcom approached them so that's why it went through so many changes because they were trying to meet whatever vision Capcom wanted them to get to.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Totally unrelated note.

DmC may not have seemed necessary for some fans of the original series, but it was very necessary for me in many ways.

-Because of DmC, I was able to be able to listen to heavy metal music without worry.
-DmC helped me get over my larger obsession with shonen anime and look for more quality anime.
-DmC introduced me to edgy genres of movies, games, anime, and even how to dress.
-DmC taught me that your character doesn't need to be a god dressed in super fashionable clothes to be badass or a hero.
-DmC introduced me to Hellblazer.
-DmC inspired a novel series I'm working on.
-DmC helped me to try writing with less anime in mind and more western cinema.
-DmC helped me realize that a simple story told right is better then a complicated story told badly.

DmC helped me realize a lot of things and helped shape who I am now.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I just find it odd that Capcom wanted so much change. I just can't wrap my mind around why.

Because they wanted change. If they were going to try a bunch of new stuff, they might as well have made the new product starkly different from the original so it could stand out and actually allowed for new and different ideas without strict guidelines preventing creative freedom.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Totally unrelated note.

DmC may not have seemed necessary for some fans of the original series, but it was very necessary for me in many ways.

-Because of DmC, I was able to be able to listen to heavy metal music without worry.
-DmC helped me get over my larger obsession with shonen anime and look for more quality anime.
-DmC introduced me to edgy genres of movies, games, anime, and even how to dress.
-DmC taught me that your character doesn't need to be a god dressed in super fashionable clothes to be badass or a hero.
-DmC introduced me to Hellblazer.
-DmC inspired a novel series I'm working on.
-DmC helped me to try writing with less anime in mind and more western cinema.
-DmC helped me realize that a simple story told right is better then a complicated story told badly.

DmC helped me realize a lot of things and helped shape who I am now.
Damn. It looks like you benefited from the reboot more than anyone else, Capcom very much included. I'm actually rather envious.

WolfOD64

Once you find something that really interest you, it can do wonders to your world view.
My favorite manga did that for me years ago. And that's weird enough considering I stay away from manga as a whole. But to my oblivious surprise, in its pages I found depth, moral reflection, insight on human will and the extent of a person's ambition. These were things that made me sit back and contemplate decisions I had made up till that point, and ponder just how much I wanted to achieve my personal desires...as well as whether or not they were worth pursuing in the end. Most conversations I've had with real people haven't given me that much to learn or contemplate...and finding it in a manga of all things was beyond my farthest perceptions.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I do know that Keiji Inafune was the Capcom Dev who greenlit the idea of a more "western" DMC game in its early incubation period.
Western pull on all Capcom games, actually. Outsourcing was his idea, as well. His stance was that the Japanese industry needed to stay with the times and western developers were doing far more interesting and inventive things than the Japanese side of gaming. With that he pushed for more western input in the games and added DmC to be made as his last project before he departed Capcom.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Ironically Inafune never implemented completely western approach in his games. And his latest game (MN9) doesn't looks western at all. Neither is his last project at capcom (ASura's wrath)

Frazz

General gamer
Wait. Why is selling to NT an option at all?
First, there are wealthier people you could sell DMC to. Then, if Capcom was in the market to sell, which they weren't at the time, why would they start with an active franchise as opposed to a dormant but still popular one like MegaMan or OniMusha?

If Capcom wanted to sell DMC it wouldn't be to NT, it be to the highest bidder.

Edit: 2001 Likes, b!tches. A Mexican Odyssey for the 21st century!
That's a fair point, however considering that NT has actually made a Devil May Cry game which could be continued I would assume that Capcom would at least give them the chance to take the reigns of the series. Although Capcom aren't doing too well financially so it wouldn't surprise me if the series went ti the highest bidder. The question is who would that be?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
That's a fair point, however considering that NT has actually made a Devil May Cry game which could be continued I would assume that Capcom would at least give them the chance to take the reigns of the series. Although Capcom aren't doing too well financially so it wouldn't surprise me if the series went ti the highest bidder. The question is who would that be?
Well it can as well be platinum games, because Kamiya created series in the first place. But most likely it will be bought by studios that have much more money than NT or P*. Though Capcom most likely get rid of other franchises as Dino Crisis and Onimusha first

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Actually DMC3 WAS a reboot. And like DmC, it was met with backlash, insults to Reuben, and death threats
Not a reboot, a retcon. ''Adding or altering information regarding the back story of a fictional character or world, regardless of whether the change contradicts what was said before''. - Urban Dictionary

The overall story of DMC had not been changed in DMC3. The only thing that had changed story-wise was that Dante fought Vergil on the Temen-Ni-Gru when he was nineteen, while in DMC1 he (according to one flashback in a cutscene after beating Nelo Angelo) hadn't seen Vergil since he was a child. Also, keep in mind that Dante was 28 in DMC1, so it takes place after DMC3.
I suppose Dante was a little different from his DMC1 self, but not that much. He was young back then, so it would make sense for him to be a bit more hyperactive. He also looked pretty much the same, only younger.

Sorry, DMC3 being a reboot is nonsense.

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
709560.gif
This is what happened to the last person who tried something like that to me
757997ba722e55191265d1fc4ce0b6b9.gif

Actually, speaking of Saints Row ( @VampireWicked convinced me to play them in the GOTY 2011 thread, despite my GTA fanboyism)
Is that Saints Row is kind of a shining example of why there is no such thing as a peak in a game series.
Just because innovation is hard,, doesn't mean that it isn't there. For instance, on the note the 4th game ends, it seems as though the Saints AND the gameplay have no where to go except for new minor features, As for story
Saints Row 4 ends with the player character and his team becoming a universal power, In any other case, this would be the end of the line. But both this AND the third game show one thing. The player character is terrible when it comes to being a
1.role model
2.strategist
3. leader of anything organized.
Not to mention that he is great at making powerful enemies. The entire 4th game showed that he still was willing to do stuff on his own. And, judging by the note that the third game ends on, Killbane is more than likely to have survived the demolition of Earth)
However, the super powers feature could add more than just grenade replacements ( more Melee combat would be nice, also nerfing the sprint a small amount)
and the setting of the game is freaking space.
Saints Row, a game that relies on crazy enemies and being meta as all hell, just went into SPACE.
Another thing to understand is that gameplay is more than just features, it's also level design and physics.

That's where movies differentiate from games in my opinion, with movie series, you can only go so far before you stop innovating, and start straying from the concept (Jason X, anyone?), eventually, you just have to look at the legacy you've created, and say "I did good", before you end up turning it to crap (Star Wars original trilogy vs prequel trilogy)

With video games, story and gameplay go hand in hand, certain elements of story allow the developers to add various things to the gameplay. As many fans of the reboot have also pointed out, as long as you stay true to the core gameplay, it's okay to remove a few features in order to replace them with different mechanics, as the series can always switch back. That's PART of innovation

Last edited:

GF9000000Returns

To me, yes and no. Like I said many times, I was part of the hate camp, but after playing DMC4 during the DmC announcements, I see why they did it, however, like some said, they could've easily fixed all of the major problems in a DMC5, or they could've just make it the same nonsense like how they do it in Sengoku Basara and Mario. The sales would've been the same or drop. They could've done all that, but...nope, they chose not to go that route, and to me, that's a good thing, cuz I'm one of the fans out there who don't WANT a DMC5 unless they're really into the project and not doing it for the Gs. Now I don't care about the story, but I at least find DmC's story, characters, and universe more better and interesting than DMC4. I mean, "Donte" only acted like a child and scream fvck you in one scene while Nero on the other hand cries Kyrie and swore to protect her every 3 to 4 missions. It ain't a hyperbole.

In fact....

i don't know. i enjoy it. but to be honest, i don't believe anything after DMC3 was necessary. that wrapped up the story. it was full circle. if anything, DMC4 is just as superfluous as DmC. both are things that are experimenting with new concepts. is that bad? no. were they well received? no...and yes. both have their own fan bases. and both exposed people to devil may cry in some way. so...i guess my final answer is yes. DmC was necessary.

Exactly. Took the words outta my mouth. At this point, I'm gonna pretend DMC4 didn't exist because of how dumb the game was(aside from gameplay of course). IMO, the DmC series could've been the current gen, at least DmC1&2 and then go out with a bang with DmC3 for the next gen consoles.

Last edited:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Not a reboot, a retcon. ''Adding or altering information regarding the back story of a fictional character or world, regardless of whether the change contradicts what was said before''. - Urban Dictionary

The overall story of DMC had not been changed in DMC3. The only thing that had changed story-wise was that Dante fought Vergil on the Temen-Ni-Gru when he was nineteen, while in DMC1 he (according to one flashback in a cutscene after beating Nelo Angelo) hadn't seen Vergil since he was a child. Also, keep in mind that Dante was 28 in DMC1, so it takes place after DMC3.
I suppose Dante was a little different from his DMC1 self, but not that much. He was young back then, so it would make sense for him to be a bit more hyperactive. He also looked pretty much the same, only younger.

Sorry, DMC3 being a reboot is nonsense.
DMC3 was originally supposed to be a reboot and the start of a new series, but when the fans basically fired off shotguns and threatened capcom, they all backed into a corner, with their tails between their legs, called DMC3 a prequel, rewriting and tweeking small details so that it could fit into the already established world of DMC, making the best devil may cry game to date

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's not the only thing that goes into it. There is also the fact that NT has sworn off council games so if one party not having the cash to give away the game rights to whom they might want, the other party isn't that interested anymore.

WolfOD64

Well it can as well be platinum games, because Kamiya created series in the first place. But most likely it will be bought by studios that have much more money than NT or P*. Though Capcom most likely get rid of other franchises as Dino Crisis and Onimusha first
Hideki Kamiya helmed the first Devil May Cry, but he didn't do it alone. He was assisted by Shinji Mikami and the original Team Little Devils. He himself has proven his mettle with the DMC series, but the rest of Platinum Games hasn't. It's the same reason RE probably won't be handed to Shinji Mikami, or Mega Man being handed over to Keiji Inafune. There were still entire Capcom Dev Teams that aided them in each project they've successfully done, Teams that aren't with them anymore. Logically speaking, it would make sense to give it to the group of people who have successfully handled previous entries in each respective series, not just the Lead Developer alone.

That's the only reason Hideaki Itsuno and Hiroyuki Kobayashi haven't been yanked back to singularly handle a new DMC. Other people helped and implemented ideas to each game they helped make, and now they're scattered across Capcom, handling different projects.

Top Bottom