• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was The Reboot Really Necessary?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Everyone know DMC2 is the best. :wink:
tumblr_lzel8uqzha1qdsjb2.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Let's get something straight here - NO ONE EVER WANTS A REBOOT

For f#ck sake, that is the dumbest thing that is ever said against DmC or anything else considered a "reboot". There is never any great interest in such a thing, there isn't some loud, vocal majority going "Man, y'know what would be awesome? If they completely restarted this series and changed up everything I know about it".

Reboots happen because the IP holders want to invigorate a series again, and in this no-attention-span, gimme-it-all-now society, there are two very concrete things, 1) consumers are less inclined to get into an on-going series having not played the previous entries (especially if the series did only marginally well to begin with), and 2) the perception of age is no longer like what it used to be.

DMC having come around thirteen years ago is a very long amount of time in the industry these days. In this era, a series with that age should be on ten or thirteen different entries by now - or, it'd just be milked dead by then. Hell, computer technology is rapidly increasing, and obsolescence sets in mere months after release. We've been approaching the singularity for a while now, and it's messing with societal perception of how young or old something is.

DmC was seen as Capcom's last go at the franchise. They said it themselves that if not for DmC, there would have been nothing. They figured they might as well try more of a "mass appeal" direction, instead of letting DMC sit in a niche that's overshadowed by an angry bald man swinging chains around. DmC wasn't necessary, but there wasn't a necessity to begin with, either.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
They put this in a T.V. show!? Now I really felt like a caveman.

It's okay. ^^ If it makes you feel any better, I don't watch a lot of actual t.v. myself, so I have no idea what many of the current shows are. I also watch a ridiculous amount of anime in comparison. :p

If you're interested, I can hook you up with a link to the site where I watched it (because I don't have Netflix, lol).

Top Bottom