• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was DmC Devil May Cry all that bad?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
For me, the question I've always wanted to ask is:

Is DMC2 that hard to continue from?

After DMC2, we got two prequels in a row.
It felt like no matter what they did, the staff seems to be unsure how to follow up with the whole "Dante goes to the demon world" bit.

It feels like the game is so hard to follow-up that they decided to just reboot everything from the ground up into something more manageable, aka DmC.

I am really interested in reading more in-depth development history of how DMC2 came to be.

You know, seeing how Itsuno refuses to acknowledge DMC2, for how bad it turned out, I'd say that's probably the main reason why the game hasn't gotten a sequel so far.
But yeah, a sequel to that would be welcomed with a red carpet by me, actually.

As for DmC, I feel the game is "playing victim" a bit. I mean, as Chancey said, imo it's far from bad but often, because of the major backlash it had, its "defenders" tend to give it merits it doesn't have, as far as I'm concerned. As some kind of "counter".
I am in the middle position between massive hate and utter praise when it comes to judge it.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DMC 2 really isn't even something that's that bad as it is a fairly functioning hack n slash video game. It's was just incredibly underwhelming considering the game that came before it at the time.

Is DMC 2 and underrated gem of the series? Nah, not at all. It's still not a Devil May Cry I revisit for a reason. But people have really exaggerated when talking about it because you'd think it's an absolute unplayable mess if you took their word for it.

Guess that also speaks about the ridiculous exaggerating nature of a big chunk in the fandom.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
What do you mean by "advanced JCing," actually? I mean, you can totally jump cancel to great effect in the game. Do you mean something like just the amount of stuff that cancels into other stuff well or something?

i mean the cancel amount yes , i like to guard fly and star rave and a lot of other things that DMC4 had and DmC doesn't , i am not putting it down saying that i simply mean that you can do a lot more in DMC4 , DmC has some stuff that imitates it but it isn't the same

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
There's probably SOMETHING "misogynistic" about the game that prevents her from playing it. Or rather, something her puppet-master, Macintosh, deems as too "misogynistic." God knows she can't deem games worthy or unworthy by herself.

I remember I was watching her video about the damsel in distress trope and Devil May Cry 4 was mentioned.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I remember she ripped into Bayonetta which, let's face it, was an easy target if you haven't played the actual game.
She ripped Windwaker for changing Zelda appearance midgame. "OMG, she wears dress, they should BURN for it". Now she makes Mirror's Edge 2. Because controls were to hard for her raging sisters :banghead:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
umm..she acts as advisor to ensure lack of misogyny and 2hard2handle controls

I wonder if she'll do the thing where the main heroine will just be punching guys in the face and being legit rude to every single male and depicting every male in the game as an asshole or every male in the game seeing the main female lead as just a hot body?
If it was a real feminist looking over this game, I wouldn't mind. But because it's her, I have my doubts.

GF9000000Returns

As for DmC, I feel the game is "playing victim" a bit. I mean, as Chancey said, imo it's far from bad but often, because of the major backlash it had, its "defenders" tend to give it merits it doesn't have, as far as I'm concerned. As some kind of "counter".

I think the reason why many "defenders" including myself defended it to the max, because the answer's simple, it was getting a bit over-hated. There's a difference between criticizing the flaws DmC had(which I'm sure most DmC fans here did) and just hating for the sake of hating, and that includes making stupid lies like that "story ending" 4chan made and making a petition to remove it from the stores for a stupid reason.

GF9000000Returns

Exactly. One shouldn't give it either flaws and merits it doesn't have. Of course this applies to every game, not only DmC.

Of course, two wrongs don't make a right. But I'm sure as hell most of us didn't pretend DmC was the best DMC game ever. We acknowledged the flaws. We just defend it because the hatred was getting outta hand. And from what I remember, most of us defended it without being biased. Tell me, if DMC4 was getting the same treatment, would you defend it without being biased? Just asking, not causing a "this vs that" again.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Of course, two wrongs don't make a right. But I'm sure as hell most of us didn't pretend DmC was the best DMC game ever. We acknowledged the flaws. We just defend it because the hatred was getting outta hand. And from what I remember, most of us defended it without being biased. Tell me, if DMC4 was getting the same treatment, would you defend it without being biased? Just asking, not causing a "this vs that" again.
Actually it almost impossible to be unbiased, because we're humans not machines, and while I understand the need of people to protect things they love it doesn't justify pathological need of some users to bash older games to prove that DmC was better, neither conscious misinormation and speculations dressed as facts.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Well, I can tell you that I've seen some posts of DmC fans refusing to acknowledge a flaw when pointed out. Same for DMC. And not only in this forum.

As for answering your question, yes, I would judge DMC4 unbiased, if I had to. The DMC4 section of the forum has a thread like this, and there I made a post listing the things I liked and disliked about the game.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I remember she ripped into Bayonetta which, let's face it, was an easy target if you haven't played the actual game.
Easy target if you still played the game. Funny thing about Bayonetta, she'a a character on both ends of the spectrum. On one hand, she's a headstrong female lead who sports her kind of attitude on her sleeve. On the other hand, she is pretty much everything things that are wrong with female protagonist in games. Neither side is wrong really.

When she called out Bayonetta though, she complained about it being just an absolute objectification of women made specifically by men, for men. Fun fact, Bayonetta was designed by a woman.

The Final Offer

Going off of GF9's idea, in my case, its the fact that I am very thorough with games that I highly enjoy. Only reason being is through my experiencing it constantly. Even proceeding with praise outside of the internet.

I dont play these titles alone or should I say, alone in a room I have friends that have gamed with me for years. Not all of them enjoyed it until she realized how much differently we all played. That meant, our direction in challenging one another expanded. Increasing the game's value.

Alot of us have witnessed the combo videos and how expansive some minds are. It's simply making your Dante distinguishable from others. Which is why I cant wait to share my combo videos with my friends.

I see the flaws in the game and they seem nitpicking to me, because those flaws arent hindering me from enjoying the game nor hindering me from what I came here for in the first place; stylish demon slaying. If Capcom went over DMC4 to add exactly whats new in DmC, I'd love that game too. It benefits my enjoyment of the series.

I just dont say what I say because of hate. I say what I say because its true.

Top Bottom