• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was anyone else disappointed with how the story went for DMC5?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
The story's not exactly Witcher 3 or God of War (2018), but imo, it is one of the better ones as far as the DMC series goes. I'd even say it's the second best one (Next to DMC3) .

Honestly the only thing that disappointed me was the length. It's maybe a little bit longer then DMC3, DMC4, and DmC. But I'm just use to so many games these days taking like 20+ hours to complete. It didn't need to be that long, but I would have liked maybe 14-16 hours.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Dino Crisis.

Didn't notice? I pointed out that those are things that you get from RE games and Dino Crisis. I pointed out the similarities and their origin. The castle/island/laboratory is about to explode, get to the helicopter/jet ski/hovercraft before the clock runs out. DMC is not the first instance of this formula. Not even the second.

The mansion in RE/make and RE2 has more in common with the castle in DMC than the one in RE4, in tone, design and architecture. In fact, the castle in 4 doesn't anything in common with the one in DMC. Play them recently? Give them a go and see. And I don't mean the remake of 2, either. I mean the original. Even the music sounds like a DMC1 stage BGM.

That's a faulty argument. If DMC1 came first? So, this game was made it originates all, doesn't matter that others did it even before it. It came first of the two games in question but, like I said, herbs of different colors didn't show up in 4 first, they've been there since one.

Yeah, as in that entire project was made in to DMC, after that Kamiya wasn't involved in any of the the ensuing builds of RE4. He had no say or advice because he wasn't involved anymore.

Tyrant's arms? I didn't say tyrant's arms, I said if you stick Krauser and the Sparda between other RE enemy designs, such as the tyrants, they wouldn't stick out in the least. They're very common RE designs from back then.

I still think it's a bit of a stretch. Not because it's inconceivable but because they both work so differently from the other. There is no start stage in RE4 like in DMC, nor the access to the store. Just save and next. DMC's has a completely different layout and format and when you take elements from other thing they tend to have a lot in common.

Never heard of this before. Don't suppose you have a link?
I say previous re game not Dino crisis or other, I know that there are other games that have some sort of ending...

I don't se how a mansion can look like a castle while the re 4 castle is esthetically the same as dmc... Yeah the atmosphere look like mansion ecc

Dmc was previously re 4, if we have a castle an island and other similitary I'm not going to say: yeah we have and island and a castle in other game... I will Compare the two game and see that some minor concept went too re4 and some re concept are in dmc, I will not say: yeah we have a castle in castlevania too and an island in metal gear, so re 4 didn't take ispriation from dmc because there are other game that did it before ... I mean dmc was the first concept of Re 4 its obvious that if we saw something similar is because the continue to take the concept in later built, Infact the castle was in all the re 4 version and went on until the last one... Like re 5 many of the original concept from the first build went to the final game, if they maked a game from the first buil I would have obviously compare the two and see the similarity because developer tend to not discharge everything

I notice the similarity between re 4 and dmc, if you don't well ok...

I can't find the link since it was something Capcom say over 10 years ago, I remember that before re 5 was out Capcom say that Re 5 would have had a chapter selection taking inspiration from dmc

Last edited:

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
The story's not exactly Witcher 3 or God of War (2018), but imo, it is one of the better ones as far as the DMC series goes. I'd even say it's the second best one (Next to DMC3) .

Honestly the only thing that disappointed me was the length. It's maybe a little bit longer then DMC3, DMC4, and DmC. But I'm just use to so many games these days taking like 20+ hours to complete. It didn't need to be that long, but I would have liked maybe 14-16 hours.

I think it's definitely the one that tries its hardest to be very thematic and story heavy. The voice actors give it there all for some very emotional scenes and the cutscenes are way longer than past game to accomadate this. I think if the game didn't try so hard to rely on past games it would have been the best in the series, but it'll imo never top DMC3 that, intentionally or not was both thematic in story and gameplay.

Vergil95

I think it's definitely the one that tries its hardest to be very thematic and story heavy. The voice actors give it there all for some very emotional scenes and the cutscenes are way longer than past game to accomadate this. I think if the game didn't try so hard to rely on past games it would have been the best in the series, but it'll imo never top DMC3 that, intentionally or not was both thematic in story and gameplay.
I think dmc 3 had the best story, than we have dmc 1, even if it has a simple story it's really well made and emotional, than we have dmc 5, than dmc, than dmc 4 and in the end dmc 2

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I think dmc 3 had the best story, than we have dmc 1, even if it has a simple story it's really well made and emotional, than we have dmc 5, than dmc, than dmc 4 and in the end dmc 2
DMC1 is definitely the second best it's very touching even if it's aged a little cheesy, 2 I think is better than 4 but do to the fact that most people remember the 1st half more then the 2nd (which is where the actual story is) it gets the bad end of the stick, 4 is fun but its probably the messiest due to the budget restraints and last minute changes to the story like Gloria and Trish being the same character thats used for like 2 1/2 scenes. But 2 and 4 are definitely at the bottom, but are still pretty good none the less.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
than we have dmc 1, even if it has a simple story it's really well made and emotional

I just wish that emotion wasn't massively held back and squandered by the horrible voice acting. Otherwise I would have rated it number 2 as well (story telling wise that is).

Vergil95

I just wish that emotion wasn't massively held back and squandered by the horrible voice acting. Otherwise I would have rated it number 2 as well (story telling wise that is).
If only we had Ruben Langdon in dmc 1.. I don't think that the dmc 1 dante voice actor isn't good but sometimes didn't sound very well, like when Trish die and he cry on her corps saying that quotes

berto

I Saw the Devil
I say previous re game not Dino crisis or other,
And what do you think Dino Crisis is? Onimusha, DMC and Dino Crisis were all made with the RE formula. Onimusha was going to be a Samurai era RE, DMC was going to be RE, and Dino Crisis was very much pitched as RE with dinosaurs.

I don't se how a mansion can look like a castle while the re 4 castle is esthetically the same as dmc... Yeah the atmosphere look like mansion ecc
Are you saying that all castles look alike? Because these 2 don't. I can't even think of a single room that looks a bit a like. Look at the layout of the the first room of the DMC castle and the mansion. Have you played RE1?

if we have a castle an island and other similitary I'm not going to say: yeah we have and island and a castle in other game...
Not sure you're understanding me. RE4 didn't get these things from DMC because these things existed in Capcom long before DMC was ever anything. The recurring elements in both appear all over games involving Shinji Mikami. Final boss showing up again as you try to escape, having to escape the place with a clock ticking, someone showing up and throwing the player something to finish them off, be it a bazooka, an RPG or power, the whole place exploding as they make their last minute escape. All of these appear in some variation or another in almost every game Shinji Mikami was involved in to some extent after RE1 and before God Hand. None of these were things that DMC invented so if RE4 has them it's not because of DMC but rather both got them from the same place.

I notice the similarity between re 4 and dmc, if you don't well ok...
Not only did I notice them I pointed them out.

If only we had Ruben Langdon in dmc 1
You make it sound like Reuben never delivered a cheesy line or had any cringe moments. DMC3 is littered with them. For all the good things the game has it's also got some of the lowest points in the series for cringe.

No, Drew stays and if anything he deserved a second outing. One bad delivery does not ruin a whole performance. Otherwise Reuben would be out, too. He's got the voice, he's got the right attitude and he's who made the character so memorable they made 3 even after 2 happened. Why does anyone want to replace Drew in one to begin with? Why not replace the man from 2 instead? Everyone wants to ruin the good one instead of fixing the bad one.

Last edited:

Vergil95

And what do you think Dino Crisis is? Onimusha, DMC and Dino Crisis were all made with the RE formula. Onimusha was going to be a Samurai era RE, DMC was going to be RE, and Dino Crisis was very much pitched as RE with dinosaurs.

Are you saying that all castles look alike? Because these 2 don't. I can't even think of a single room that looks a bit a like. Look at the layout of the the first room of the DMC castle and the mansion. Have you played RE1?

Not sure you're understanding me. RE4 didn't get these things from DMC because these things existed in Capcom long before DMC was ever anything. The recurring elements in both appear all over games involving Shinji Mikami. Final boss showing up again as you try to escape, having to escape the place with a clock ticking, someone showing up and throwing the player something to finish them off, be it a bazooka, an RPG or power, the whole place exploding as they make their last minute escape. All of these appear in some variation or another in almost every game Shinji Mikami was involved in to some extent after RE1 and before God Hand. None of these were things that DMC invented so if RE4 has them it's not because of DMC but rather both got them from the same place.

Not only did I notice them I pointed them out.

You make it sound like Reuben never delivered a cheesy line or had any cringe moments. DMC3 is littered with them. For all the good things the game has it's also got some of the lowest points in the series for cringe.

No, Drew stays and if anything he deserved a second outing. One bad delivery does not ruin a whole performance. Otherwise Reuben would be out, too. He's got the voice, he's got the right attitude and he's who made the character so memorable they made 3 even after 2 happened. Why does anyone want to replace Drew in one to begin with? Why not replace the man from 2 instead? Everyone wants to ruin the good one instead of fixing the bad one.
I say that I like the dmc 1 voice actor of dante but that he did a terrible performance during the Trish death, but there are memorable moment like when he get enraged at this after she betrayed him or when he went mad a t modus... But I prefer Ruben Langdon, I don't remember Ruben geving woman scream and bad voice performance in Any of the dmc I played, he always give good performance and voice even when some dialogue weren't that grate...

That's difference between bad dialogue and bad voice acting, the thris moment isn't bad dialogue (isn't that great either) is bad voice acted, if Ruben was there he would have probably shouted a more pronounced masculine voice engulfed whit despair

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm ok with replacing Coombs/Kaminski with Langdon in a possible remake. I feel like that's gonna happen anyway. Granted i don't mind them coming back in different roles but thats not essential.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
To get this thread back on topic: aside from the Vergil obsession the creators seem to have, I was also not a fan of retcons like Mundus gaining his power through eating the Qliphoth fruit.

Something else that bothered me was the inward nature of the story. Rather than breathing new life into the franchise, 5 felt like it was trying to be the grand finale. I doesn't feel like there's anywhere for the story to go now. :bored:

Vergil95

To get this thread back on topic: aside from the Vergil obsession the creators seem to have, I was also not a fan of retcons like Mundus gaining his power through eating the Qliphoth fruit.

Something else that bothered me was the inward nature of the story. Rather than breathing new life into the franchise, 5 felt like it was trying to be the grand finale. I doesn't feel like there's anywhere for the story to go now. :bored:
I think there so much to tell now instead, Nero can have many story to tell, as well as dante and vergil together....

meg5493

Praise the Sun!

I agree and anything that could've been interesting was either not used the way it should have or just not used at all
- V and Trish interacting? Used for 5 secs to hammer in Vergil having mommy issues. (which is really funny to me because this was the #1 thing people bashed DmC Vergil for outside of his design)
- V's familiars representing his past trauma's but it's really only mentioned in the manga and the people/demons who should represent his past trauma aren't even present or written off. Like I still don't understand the weird callback with the Proto-Angelo's since they just "appear".
- Dante's Sin DT as a opposed to his Majin DT which was completely written out of the series at this point but whatever its from 2 so no one really cares.
- Lady and Trish having actual relevance again outside of their respective break out games? Naw lets just demote them to sexy naked batteries for 10 secs and have them act all catty in the ending that'll get the fans going.
- The weird conversation Cavalier and Malphas had which infers they serve under Urizen or some unknown force but Urizen just showed up like a month ago. So it's like a weird DMC1 situiation but not?

Nothing in this game makes sense and every major plot point is a retcon that retroactively ruins the story of the previous games if you think about it. Like 5 twists the franchise inwards around its self to make it seem like the series was leading up to "this" when really all it does is if you cared about the story you really shouldn't have.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

They did say it was the end of the son's of sparda saga. So wrapping things up felt appropriate.

Granted I'm not sure I wanted Mundus to gain his powers by eating a fruit.

By the way, when was the start? 3?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Well they did say it was meant to be the final chapter of the Sons of Sparda story. Which some people interpret as, it's meant to be the last game. I personally just interpret that as Dante and Vergil's final chapter.
Hence why I think if DMC6 is ever made, Nero should be the sole protagonist, with maybe some new characters for the support cast. I know some still don't agree, and even I would have thought so before. But I really feel like Nero came into his own in DMC5, and deserves at-least one more game (That way, 4.5, and 6 could be Nero's trilogy. Plus we still need to know who his mother is).

Also, to be honest, I find Dante and Vergil trapped in hell fighting demons together ( while on good terms with eachother, and having a more friendly rivalry), a bittersweet......yet oddly satisfying conclusion to their arcs. Maybe that's just me though

By the way, when was the start? 3?
You mean the series chronologically? Yeah, 3's the first in the timeline.

Top Bottom