• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was anyone else disappointed with how the story went for DMC5?

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
I think that Capcom by saying the end of the sons of sparda story meant the end of dante and vergil rivalry, but probably they will continue to happear in future game as protagonist, Capcom will not waist the opportunity to have vergil playable in a main game...

Also i think that the sons of sparda arc begin since dmc 1 since we play as dante a son of sparda and vergil is present as nelo Angelo, chronologically it started in 3

Edit: one think I can't forgive dmc 5 for omitting is the devil never cry soundtrack, in dmc 3 it was usen often and it was vergil and Dante theme, they should have put it during dante and vergil confrontation in dmc 5 or at least in the ending

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Sorry, haven't read whole thread, but I don't mind whole fanservice aspect, what I do mind that it didn't felt like proper closure, which was promised. Dante stuck in hell (Again) and Vergil to (again) and nothing changed aside from that they brought Vergil back and Nero got tougher.

Vergil95

Sorry, haven't read whole thread, but I don't mind whole fanservice aspect, what I do mind that it didn't felt like proper closure, which was promised. Dante stuck in hell (Again) and Vergil to (again) and nothing changed aside from that they brought Vergil back and Nero got tougher.
Well actually many things changed, since there was a lot of character development for Nero dante and vergil

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well actually many things changed, since there was a lot of character development for Nero dante and vergil
Haven't noticed much for Dante, Nero sort of grew up and Veril learned something in the end (maybe?). Still not enough to call it "closure"

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I saw it as a "resolution" more than "closure".

DMCV resolved the whole Vergil/Dante baggage that lingered in the series and shifts it to something new.

They also pass the torch to Nero.

There still stories you could tell but its a decent place to leave off.

PS. I might be biased because my interest in classic DMC waned considerably.

Last edited:

Vergil95

Haven't noticed much for Dante, Nero sort of grew up and Veril learned something in the end (maybe?). Still not enough to call it "closure"
Infact is not a closure.... Why everyone things its a closure? They bring the series back after eleven years, it's so obvious they wanna continue it whit more dmc game

Like v s patron say it was more of a resolution between dante and vergil, because it was also time for this situation to end... I don't know for how many game it could have stand before this rivarly would have become ridicolous

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Infact is not a closure.... Why everyone things its a closure?

I think it's because of that pre-release rumor/leak that it was gonna be the end of the sons of Sparda saga, and that idea stuck with the fanbase so everyone is throwing that argument around... But, if I recall correctly, it was never actually said officially by Capcom itself and remained an unconfirmed leak.

But anyway, even if it was officially said and I missed it, I agree with this:

I saw it as a "resolution" more than "closure".

The fratricidal fight between Dante and Vergil has ended and now they're having the time of their lives sparring and fighting demons in Hell, and it doesn't get any more torch-passing than "I'm trusting you with things on this side".

Capisce?

Vergil95

I think it's because of that pre-release rumor/leak that it was gonna be the end of the sons of Sparda saga, and that idea stuck with the fanbase so everyone is throwing that argument around... But, if I recall correctly, it was never actually said officially by Capcom itself and remained an unconfirmed leak.

The fratricidal fight between Dante and Vergil has ended and now they're having the time of their lives sparring and fighting demons in Hell, and it doesn't get any more torch-passing than "I'm trusting you with things on this side".

Capisce?
I remember that Capcom say that it was the end of the sons of sparda saga but I also remember that they say in a way to let us understand that it wasn't the end of the series but just the end of dante and vergil unfinished business... I ll try find the video if I can... Also even if Capcom say it was the end of the series by simply playing the game you can understand that it isn't so I don't know why everyone things it the end... Probably they played a different game than the one I played I dont know

meg5493

Praise the Sun!

Capisce?

Gonna jump in here "The end of the Sons of Sparda" idea was floated around by several journalist sites but never discounted by Capcom, while the Capcom Unity page states "the stage is now set for the latest chapter of the “Sons of Sparda” saga" which while very vague on whether this is Dantes last main role or not, still sets this up as like Vergil has been an intergral player in the series which he has not been. (He may have been retroactively added into the overall series but it was an after thought)

The fight between Vergil and Dante in 5 is probably the most luke warm iteration in the series, the build-up is half cocked and the resolution doesn't feel earned. Whats stopping Vergil from doing something like this again? Certainly not Dante. And I would argue Dante giving Nero the DMC brand is more a torch passing moment (and more heart warming) than Dante just peacing out with Vergil into the Underworld, especially since they can leave at any time but the game acts like this whole thing is a big deal lol.

Vergil95

Gonna jump in here "The end of the Sons of Sparda" idea was floated around by several journalist sites but never discounted by Capcom, while the Capcom Unity page states "the stage is now set for the latest chapter of the “Sons of Sparda” saga" which while very vague on whether this is Dantes last main role or not, still sets this up as like Vergil has been an intergral player in the series which he has not been. (He may have been retroactively added into the overall series but it was an after thought)

The fight between Vergil and Dante in 5 is probably the most luke warm iteration in the series, the build-up is half cocked and the resolution doesn't feel earned. Whats stopping Vergil from doing something like this again? Certainly not Dante. And I would argue Dante giving Nero the DMC brand is more a torch passing moment (and more heart warming) than Dante just peacing out with Vergil into the Underworld, especially since they can leave at any time but the game acts like this whole thing is a big deal lol.
It was very clear to me that the ending of the sons of sparda simply mean the ending of dante and vergil rivalry...
The saga was originally going to end in dmc 1 since it was pretty conclusive, Capcom did not have a plan in mind so they simply add more content while making game but I think that dante and vergil rivalry and story was always present, we have it in dmc 1, it is the main theme in dmc 1 novel, in dmc 3, it continues in dmc 4 and than in dmc 5, a part of dmc story was always about dante and vergil...
I agree that the third part of the game should have been longer and should have been better to let us understand more about vergil heart changing ecc...

Whats stopping vergil from doing something like this again? Well certainly dante himself since he followed vergil in the underworld for this reason, also I don't think vergil will want to do something like this again since as V he understands the atrocity he made and how bad the crime he committed were

Probably you didn't understand that dante and vergil sealed the door to the demon world and Nero say that if they sealed it the can't come back...

They destroyed the qliphot tree than they sealed the demon world for good, re-watch the cutscene
They say this:
Nero: wait where are you going?
Vergil: we need to separate the qliphot root from the underworld itself, then we ll seal the portal whit the Yamato...
Nero: wait if you do that you can't come back

In my opinion This dialogue let you understand that if they close the demon world portal they can't simply open another portal to escape because it look like they seveared the underworld from the human world for good, it's like you entiring into a room (demon world) using a key (Yamato) but after you entered it you closed the door (the gate to demon world) whit the key ( Yamato) and than you destroy the door lock (demon world door) whit the key (yamato), this mean that you ares stack in the room for iternity... Or simply just ask capcom itself why they can't come back but for me they were clear enough

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
It was very clear to me that the ending of the sons of sparda simply mean the ending of dante and vergil rivalry...
The saga was originally going to end in dmc 1 since it was pretty conclusive, Capcom did not have a plan in mind so they simply add more content while making game but I think that dante and vergil rivalry and story was always present, we have it in dmc 1, it is the main theme in dmc 1 novel, in dmc 3, it continues in dmc 4 and than in dmc 5, a part of dmc story was always about dante and vergil...
I agree that the third part of the game should have been longer and should have been better to let us understand more about vergil heart changing ecc...

Whats stopping vergil from doing something like this again? Well certainly dante himself since he followed vergil in the underworld for this reason, also I don't think vergil will want to do something like this again since as V he understands the atrocity he made and how bad the crime he committed were

Probably you didn't understand that dante and vergil sealed the door to the demon world and Nero say that if they sealed it the can't come back...

They destroyed the qliphot tree than they sealed the demon world for good, re-watch the cutscene
They say this:
Nero: wait where are you going?
Vergil: we need to separate the qliphot root from the underworld itself, then we ll seal the portal whit the Yamato...
Nero: wait if you do that you can't come back

In my opinion This dialogue let you understand that if they close the demon world portal they can't simply open another portal to escape because it look like they seveared the underworld from the human world for good, it's like you entiring into a room (demon world) using a key (Yamato) but after you entered it you closed the door (the gate to demon world) whit the key ( Yamato) and than you destroy the door lock (demon world door) whit the key (yamato), this mean that you ares stack in the room for iternity... Or simply just ask capcom itself why they can't come back but for me they were clear enough

DMC5 shares the same fate as any long running series that didn't intend to last as long as it did. DMC1's story with Vergil was open and closed and while 3 wasn't needed (and also a retcon) it added an extra layer to a cool but otherwise one dimensional Nelo Angelo while also making subsequent replays of DMC1 more impactful. 4 was ambigious with the fact that Nero may or may not be Vergils son (IN GAME SPECULATION ONLY!) considering how whish washy Capcom was with confirming wether or not Bingo's statements on his heritage were canon or not (until around 2017 anyway). 2 has absolutely no mention of Vergil, the anime barely references his brother in a one off episode, and 5 doesn't even try to explain what the deal was with Vergil surviving after 1 or the fact that Vergil was clearly around somewhere during the events of 4.

But 4, like any media before 5, always framed references around Vergil as a character who died or took place in the past while he was still alive. It makes me feel the same way RE5 did when Jun Takeuchi talked about 5 being the finale for Chris and Weskers rivalry when there were other people (Jill) that had the same bone to pick with Wesker and were sidelined for this vision, but at least RE5's portrayal was believable for me.

V accepting his past sins means nothing when instead of finishing off Urizen he merges with him instead (still don't understand what this whole scene was going for), then proceeding to try and kill Dante, like that was the whole reason he even summoned the tree in the first place, we've seen that if anything Vergil is more Urizen than V.

(On a side note I feel like I'm going crazy because I distinctly remember a cutscene were someone is telling Nero, Dante and Vergil won't stop fighting until one of them dies they've been fighting for so long)

The whole Vergil section felt like they dropped the ball because it absolutely tries to paint Vergil as a more sympathetic character but like Vergil still acts like he did in 3 but as a grown as 40 yr old man it doesn't have the charm DMC3 had or the fact that Dante doesn't care about the millions of lives Vergil has killed , only that the underworld is taking over I guess. This game has probably the most brutal (/implied) imagery and does nothing with it. Like the game is 70% humor and the narrative suffers for it.

Also Dante and Vergil are definitely not trapped seeing as how Before the Nightmare tells us Dante was trapped in hell before in 2 and was able to just hop through a portal and get back since they open all the time in the underworld you just don't know where you're going to land. But that doesn't matter since they also have the Yamato a weapon able to open portals and hellgates, not to mention how nonchalant Lady and Trish are about Dante being stuck in hell..again.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think Lady said it but I could be wrong.

During the DmC PR debacle, Alex Jones of Capcom USA said that fans secretly want to like DmC. Fans overreacted as they thought he was saying they were sheep or something but I had a different view. I don't think people wake up one day automatically hating on something they used to love.

It's not politics y'all :)

I'm definitely like that as even though I dunk on Nero and the anime regularly I was pretty excited for them upon their debut. In fact I was pretty hopeful for the reboot/4/anime/5 before they came out. They each did something I was interested in but botched the execution. Dante's day to day life was pretty dull, Nero felt more like an imitation than someone new, DmC was a poor compromise that didn't give anyone what they wanted, and 5 had a Vergil/Dante resolution that it didn't really earn.

So I guess we just have to hope the next DMC is better- whatever form it may take.

PS. Or we could just fix it in fanfic rewrites ;).

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Most of you guys know that I tend to like the novels of the series, however, with 5's prequel novel, I didn't like some of the nonsense that they just threw in an example being

When Mundus was told of the fighting, he decided to sit back and watch - the
brothers’ in-fighting would only benefit him. Vergil’s defeated and wounded state
was indeed a benefit to Mundus. As Mundus had not been fully revived yet, he
felt that Vergil in perfect condition would have been able to beat him.
However,
Mundus was able to overpower Vergil in his weakened state.

This makes zero sense, in 1, he pushed a perfect conditioned Dante to his limits as a crumbling mass.

Vergil95

Most of you guys know that I tend to like the novels of the series, however, with 5's prequel novel, I didn't like some of the nonsense that they just threw in an example being

This makes zero sense, in 1, he pushed a perfect conditioned Dante to his limits as a crumbling mass.
In dmc 3 mundus was not yet fully revived, he only have less than half of his full power, he was still weak that a why he say that if vergil was at is peak couldn't have been able to defeat him and that's why he seat and watch....

It is written in the novel that mundus was restoring his power and that took him 20 years to fully restore them completely

In dmc 1 mundus its at full power that s why he defeat dante easy but in dmc 3 he is still weak and that's why he is waiting an opportunity

The novel say this:
As mundus had not been fully revived yet, he felt that Vergil in perfect condition would have been able to beat him. However, Mundus was able to overpower Vergil in his weakened state.

You write this yourself earlyer it is written clears as day that mundus was not at full power in dmc 3

Last edited:

Vergil95

It doesn't matter, Mundus is a demon emperor and it turns out that he's worried about a dude who has a speck of Sparda's power.
It doesn't matter? It matters because that are fact and you are saying something else when the true is well written in the novel...

Mundus was not at full power in dmc 3 he was very weak.... Dante and vergil are the son of sparda and manage to defeat every demon mundus send at them, he is right to be worried about the twins. .. Vergil is not a dude, he is vergil the son of the legendary dark knight sparda he is one of the most powerful character in the dmc universe alongside his brother dante...

Who care about the fact that mundus is a demon king? Those this mean that because he is a demon king he is invulnerable or can't feel treath? Also After Dante matured and become more powerful demon king were not a problem to him, Infact he killed Abigail and argosax the chaos whit little effort and they were demon kings...

Munduse knew the sons of sparda are very powerful obviously he is worried about the fact that they can defeat him especially if they joyned togheter, but mundus was lucky and dante and vergil were fighting each other in dmc 3...

Also, where was mentioned that vergil had a speck of sparda s power? Completely untrue

What you are saying had no sense dude sorry

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, I pointed out a whole bunch that bugged the hell out of me. Namely the attempt to incorporate 1's while excluding Gilver but not explaining how it all went down the same, anyway, and how these and other events all have zero chronological sense.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the purpose of this was. It changes nothing. To say that Mundus only beat Vergil because he was weak from fighting Dante? Yeah, that was always the obvious assumption but to weaken Mundus, too, just seems like an unnecessary extra point of irrelevance and needless concept. Why bother doing that at all? Even at full strength Mundus was trapped on the other side so weakening him and saying that Vegil was stronger at that point just diminishes him.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Yeah, I pointed out a whole bunch that bugged the hell out of me. Namely the attempt to incorporate 1's while excluding Gilver but not explaining how it all went down the same, anyway, and how these and other events all have zero chronological sense.

They could've easily fixed the Gilver stuff by saying that he was an imperfect clone or something.

Another one is where it says Mundus didn't have complete control over Vergil when he converted him until he gave him his amulet back then he completely obeyed. Makes no sense because upon seeing Dante's amulet, he freaks out and would later painfully remove his mask/helmet thing.

Top Bottom