• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Venom Teaser trailer

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Not impressed, honestly. I mean, asides from not being sure why this movie should exist other than to scratch Avi Arad's itch, the trailer looked fanmade. I swear to God, I saw a Venom fanmade trailer a couple of months earlier that hit the same beats as this one and had the same eerie tone. There was not even a silhouette of Venom or Carnage for that matter which is probably due to Sony not being able to finish their VFX in time. When it comes to Sony's properties, I'm putting all my hopes in "Into The Spiderverse" for the moment. Maybe this movie will be able to reel me in once we get a proper trailer, but for now color me a skeptic.

Also, what is with this "teaser within a teaser trailer" thing that film studios are doing nowadays? It's annoying.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
NGL, if I didn't know it was Venom, I would've assumed it was some generic action flick.

Disappointing trailer.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tom Hardy fan so looking forward to his take on the role but as it was just a teaser rather than a proper trailer I couldn’t really get a feel for how the tone of the film would be just yet but I’m hoping for good things.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Tom Hardy is a great actor but he's kind of everywhere now. I'm not convinced that he's a good choice for Eddie Brock, either, but we'll have to see. I just hope that Sony Pictures don't drop the ball on this one as Venom is a Marvel favourite in the Powell household. Then again, I thought that the Amazing Spider-Man films were fantastic -- loved both of them -- so maybe Sony can do the character justice.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Okay guys I'm gonna come clean, I'm a huge Venom fan. So just the sheer fact we finally got a trailer, maybe I got a bit too excited. Honestly, I'm just really excited that "Ohh, here's footage" "OMG, maybe I won't wake to find out it's been cancelled" I AM still excited though, Tom Hardy's great, gonna be R-Rated. Frankly imo Venom after Topher Grace is in the same position as Godzilla after the 1998....... There's no possible way it could be worse.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
So just the sheer fact we finally got a trailer, maybe I got a bit too excited
I know exactly what you mean; I dropped everything to check it out. Although, the more I think about the teaser the more I'm getting bad vibes about the movie, but that's probably because I'm a bit of a retro Venom fanboy and the crème de la crème '90s cartoon version of the character isn't something that I can foresee Sony Pictures beating.

I actually kind of liked Topher Grace's performance, sort of, but he would have been much better suited to playing Carnage if he really had to be involved. I think Tom Hardy is a closer fit as a 'tough guy', but he just doesn't have the hulking stature of the Venom that I'm familiar with, but obviously neither did Grace.

And the parent in me would be quite disappointed if it was R-rated. My sons love Venom and I'd be really disappointed for them to have to miss out on this flick as they've been following the Marvel Cinematic Universe quite closely, but I do realise that Sony Pictures are going their own direction.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
A Venom teaser trailer that failed both at teasing me and having Venom in it. I'm not interested in seeing Tom Hardy as the human guy under the suit, as it was said before, it looks like a generic action movie that way. Only the logo at the end makes you know it's Venom. I wonder what the producers' concept of "teasing" people is.

Disappointed.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Man, I sure hope this delivers...
Been waiting on a proper movie with Venom in it for god knows how long now (SP3 was a major letdown).
I would've preferred Flash Venom though, against popular opinions I think he is a better Venom than Eddie (you'd still need to build that character up so you can have Carnage or Toxin as an Antagonist though).

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Man, I sure hope this delivers...
Been waiting on a proper movie with Venom in it for god knows how long now (SP3 was a major letdown).
I would've preferred Flash Venom though, against popular opinions I think he is a better Venom than Eddie (you'd still need to build that character up so you can have Carnage or Toxin as an Antagonist though).
Hey man, I love Agent Venom, main reason I didn't like Flash in Homecoming, I can't see that scrawny rich kid becoming a soldier

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I have to ask, if it weren't for the video being called a teaser for Venom, the Marvel logo, and the effects at the end with "webbing" forming the Venom eyes and fangs .... would anyone know what this is about? Don't get me wrong, this teaser is objectively better at being a teaser trailer than Titan's trailer-- which spoiled the entire plot of the movie in just two and a half minutes-- but if it weren't for the obvious cues, this would pass as a medical horror movie like Flatliners.

Guy gets into crash, taken to hospital, revived by weird means and monitored until he regains consciousness, is on the run from shadowy FBI, and weird psychic/telekinetic stuff is happening around him, and his girlfriend is vaguely involved. That could be anything. Even the symbiote seen in the teaser could be anything. People who are already fans of the source material or even passingly familiar with Venom via video games would already know it's a symbiote, but if this were a completely original work, that could be the typical "virus with a mind of its own" that was dormant for years in some permafrost, and unearthed by some scientist(s) lacking in scruples and/or common sense who thought they could "repurpose the virus for good" while the story carries some hamfisted moral about "mortals toying with things they don't understand" and "scientists playing god".

But thankfully this is only Teaser Trailer #1. When they get to the next ones, hopefully they include something more iconic and unmistakable. As it is right now it's the bad version of "The Dark Knight trilogy wasn't a series of great Batman movies so much as great films that happened to have Batman in it".

Also Tom Hardy sounds like Terrence Howard in that narration and I still have a hard time convincing myself it's not Terrence Howard doing that voice-over. How much range does Tom have? He should get into voice acting if this doesn't work out.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
This trailer... First time I've ever disliked Tom Hardy's acting.

Aside from that, the only really cool scene is the last one, imo. I'm still not sold on this movie.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I... actually do like this concept of a Spider-Man less Symbiote origin, didn't think I'd actually say that. This has a lot of potential. Probably the only Marvel related thing I'll watch in cinemas after infinity war and Deadpool, after that I'm most likely done with these movies.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
It was better than the last trailer we got, that is for sure. I'm gonna see what happens with this one. Now, watch Sony give out important plot points to the movie in the subsequent trailers they'll release after this one.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Not gonna lie, the Eddie w/ Venom scenes are intriguing...but everything other than that looks kinda generic.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Thought trailer was decent & looked interesting, I like that they have Tom doing both voices (I was getting Mike Patton doing the voice in The Darkness vibes). Looks like they have managed to get the look and sound of Venom quite accurate. Though not totally sold on character they are teasing to be the “villain” yet.

Top Bottom