• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Three reviewers talk about DmC

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
True but it did have;

-Kyrie's outfit closely resembling Orihime's during the Las Noches arc.
-Nero using a bigass sword like Ichigo
-Nero using a high powered katana
-The order practically being the Arrancar but only with a few members
-Yes the two voice actors
-Nero's attitude with that whole hot head routine. (Though not completely like Ichigo)
ElSuperEmo1.png

I still think it's a bit of a stretch to say a ceremonial dress, sword, katana and enemies that power up make them even remotely similar. There is literally nothing similar about them apart from a few in-direct elements that are so vague you could compare anything to anything.

People could say MGR is a rip-off of RoboCop because it features a man turned into a cyborg to stop a group of villains that work for someone of political stance. People would say that's ridiculous but it still shares more similarities than DMC4 and Bleach.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'll give that explanation.

First;
Romance
This seems a bit general. Cheesy romance doesn't just exist in anime. If anything, it's probably more of a western invention than a fairly modern Japanese one.

The clothes
This probably has more to do with Japanese ideas, not necessarily anime ones. I don't think I've seen a hood under a long coat even once in Naruto, except for maybe with Kabuto after he got all messed up. Long coats also happened to be worn a lot in fifties and sixties movies, I believe. Not to mention every time I see one of those old CSI shows... don't remember which one, though. Or was it even CSI? Not sure. ''Lady's outfit is the total anime trope of dressing less for more.'' Yeah, that has nothing to do with anime. Perhaps it does exist in a lot of anime shows, but then, it also does in a lot of other things, right? Dante, well, I suppose that one's plausible. Still, there might just be as many anime characters who wear normal clothing and have a normal hair color as there are characters who have colorful intricate clothing and wacky, colorful hair.

Music
''I know I shouldn't judge the gender of music and it's not like there were japanese vocals in DMC4, but the music really tuned down from it's loud and in your face power that DMC3 had. It sort of toned itself down to a more anime like vibe with it's battle music and the rest of its music in fact. Though I did like standard daytime. That was chill. Anywho, I like anime ost, but you gotta admit some of DMC4's music was something anime themed.''

Toned itself down? Really? In DMC4 as opposed to DMC3? I thought it was pretty much the same, at least, in battle it seemed to be. Kyrie's singing sounded like a German classical music composer's pieces, I believe. Then there was Shall Never Surrender. Most of it was pretty 'in your face'.

Lines
This one was a no brainier that this game was anime based. Most of the lines were definitely anime based. Most lines in anime take from western movies and every now and then from older movies as well. Here's a few I found.
- "Audios, kid." *Adios
-"So much for a small banter." *so much for friendly banter.
-"Fire's bad for the complexion. I burn easily and get a tan." *I burn easily, never tan.
-"Now that's a solid performance from an old fart like you."
-"Baby yeah!"
-"Nice!"
-"Sweet!"

Fixed some stuff.
I don't know why you think that's typical of anime. Sure, it may be in some anime shows, but I watched Bleach, Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist and never heard any of those one-liners, or any others.

All in All
''People can try to deny it all they want, but in the end, DMC4 is anime styled. If you go to anime sites, DMC4 will be there. If you go to Minitokyo, DMC will be there more then DmC because DMC is more anime based. If you go to zero-chan DMC4 will be there, why? Because it's close to anime styled.''

Maybe it's more because of it being a Japanese thing. DmC was created mostly by Ninja Theory, a British developer. I guess it is anime-styled, but many of your points fall flat. No offense, of course.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I still think it's a bit of a stretch to say a ceremonial dress, sword, katana and enemies that power up make them even remotely similar. There is literally nothing similar about them apart from a few in-direct elements that are so vague you could compare anything to anything.

People could say MGR is a rip-off of RoboCop because it features a man turned into a cyborg to stop a group of villains that work for someone of political stance. People would say that's ridiculous but it still shares more similarities than DMC4 and Bleach.

I totally agree. It's like a discussion I had a while ago, when somebody said DMC was a ripoff of InuYasha. Granted, I haven't watched InuYasha, but from what I can gather, they're similar in that InuYasha and his brother inherit weapons from their father, have white hair, and Sesshomaru (his brother) is similar to Vergil in terms of personality. Well, big whoop. They all seem to be more like general Japanese themes. Doesn't make it a ripoff.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I totally agree. It's like a discussion I had a while ago, when somebody said DMC was a ripoff of InuYasha. Granted, I haven't watched InuYasha, but from what I can gather, they're similar in that InuYasha and his brother inherit weapons from their father, have white hair, and Sesshomaru (his brother) is similar to Vergil in terms of personality. Well, big whoop. They all seem to be more like general Japanese themes. Doesn't make it a ripoff.

Inuyasha's also half demon half human like his brother, their father was a legendary demon, Lady's a more badass Kagome, the ironic mention of Kagome looking like priestess named Kykio and the mention of Sparda sacrificing a priestess to seal the hellgate who turned out to be Lady's ancestor.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Inuyasha's also half demon half human like his brother, their father was a legendary demon, Lady's a more badass Kagome, the ironic mention of Kagome looking like priestess named Kykio and the mention of Sparda sacrificing a priestess to seal the hellgate who turned out to be Lady's ancestor.

Half demon DOG.

Yeah, so? It takes a lot to finally be able to call it a ripoff. There are many more things that were inspired by other things. No doubt this was inspired by InuYasha, but that's it.

DragonMaster2010

Half demon DOG.

Yeah, so? It takes a lot to finally be able to call it a ripoff. There are many more things that were inspired by other things. No doubt this was inspired by InuYasha, but that's it.

I never said it was a rip off, I said it was based off of. And whether demon dog or not, it's still demon.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I never said it was a rip off, I said it was based off of. And whether demon dog or not, it's still demon.

Then what were you and SpawnShooter talking about? He seemed to think you implied it was a ripoff, if I read it correctly.
Anyway, got to get to gaming. Still haven't finished Mass Effect 3 (slow ass, tedious game).

DragonMaster2010

Then what were you and SpawnShooter talking about? He seemed to think you implied it was a ripoff, if I read it correctly.
Anyway, got to get to gaming. Still haven't finished Mass Effect 3 (slow ass, tedious game).

Good luck with the endings.:troll:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Alchemist whining? Check
Skeptics making pointless arguments? Check
Supporters making illogical arguments? Check

Okay, just checking, this is in fact, a DmC thread.

NostalgicRobotX

The problem is you're cherry picking your arguments and examples so they suit your point. Anime in general is extremely varied, if you want I could easily apply pretty much any game(DMC1, and DmC included) to an anime. It certainly follows cliches, many of which are found in anime, as well as literature, movies, and just about any medium you can name.

From a different perspective, by this logic I could just as easily say "DmC made things too much like ****ty movie-writing." I could then go on to justify this by saying the writing and theme shares some similarities with "They Live", and then go on to say that it's typical Hollywood trash. I hope you can understand how inherently flawed this logic is, I am attaching a relationship to "****ty Hollywood trash" by a 2nd party that I cherry picked out of a huge cluster of data. On top of that, I am justifying this relationship with overly vague and minor elements.

DMC is a Video Game series, I don't see any reason why you would ever apply it specifically to Anime, when Games!=Anime. The only exception would be a comparison for the actual DMC Anime, but that's not really the point here
Cliche: Possibly

DragonMaster2010

The problem is you're cherry picking your arguments and examples so they suit your point. Anime in general is extremely varied, if you want I could easily apply pretty much any game(DMC1, and DmC included) to an anime. It certainly follows cliches, many of which are found in anime, as well as literature, movies, and just about any medium you can name.

From a different perspective, by this logic I could just as easily say "DmC made things too much like ****ty movie-writing." I could then go on to justify this by saying the writing and theme shares some similarities with "They Live", and then go on to say that it's typical Hollywood trash. I hope you can understand how inherently flawed this logic is, I am attaching a relationship to "****ty Hollywood trash" by a 2nd party that I cherry picked out of a huge cluster of data. On top of that, I am justifying this relationship with overly vague and minor elements.

DMC is a Video Game series, I don't see any reason why you would ever apply it specifically to Anime, when Games!=Anime. The only exception would be a comparison for the actual DMC Anime, but that's not really the point here
Cliche: Possibly

So you ignore the obviousness that DMC is an anime styled game? Look, I have no problem with anime styled games, it's just DMC did it in a way that doesn't suit my taste.

back to the DMC and anime look a like thing

I may be cherry picking, but it's not like I'm calling DMC bad for doing it, I'm calling it cliched at best, which isn't bad since that's what DMC was going for.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Yea it may seem like a very goofy show but if you put in time you can tell its actually written pretty damn beautifully. It has smart jokes and obvious ones, as well as small odes to past episodes/seasons. Anywayyys are those shows you mentioned available on Netflix? Id love to check them out.
I think arrested development should be idk about community

NostalgicRobotX

So you ignore the obviousness that DMC is an anime styled game? Look, I have no problem with anime styled games, it's just DMC did it in a way that doesn't suit my taste.
Once again, it's not so much "obvious" as it is "vague". I'm not ignoring your earlier post, I have chosen to disregard it because it's not even a remotely reasonable classification when you need to cherry-pick to justify it.

I don't really care what you think of the series, it's not really relevant to what I am saying. I just don't think it's fair criticism to say it's "anime-like" because that doesn't really mean anything and can be applied to pretty much everything. Europa Universalis for example, it's a game about taking control over the world through economy, politics, etc. There are a few Anime series about that very concept, namely Spice and Wolf and most recently Maoyuu. They share similar themes about forced war for financial stability, controlling of economics, political ruses, etc. Would I ever say that the two are even closely related though? Never, especially not for criticism.

All I am asking is people be less vague about their statements, if you want to criticize is for being too much like Bleach, then fine, at least that's specific and somewhat understandable; it also gives people that chance to argue and discuss about it. Saying it's like anime in general though, "wuh?"

DragonMaster2010

Once again, it's not so much "obvious" as it is "vague". I'm not ignoring your earlier post, I have chosen to disregard it because it's not even a remotely reasonable classification when you need to cherry-pick to justify it.

I don't really care what you think of the series, it's not really relevant to what I am saying. I just don't think it's fair criticism to say it's "anime-like" because that doesn't really mean anything and can be applied to pretty much everything. Europa Universalis for example, it's a game about taking control over the world through economy, politics, etc. There are a few Anime series about that very concept, namely Spice and Wolf and most recently Maoyuu. They share similar themes about forced war for financial stability, controlling of economics, political ruses, etc. Would I ever say that the two are even closely related though? Never, especially not for criticism.

But DMC is't about politics and forced war and such.
All I am asking is people be less vague about their statements, if you want to criticize is for being too much like Bleach, then fine, at least that's specific and somewhat understandable; it also gives people that chance to argue and discuss about it. Saying it's like anime in general though, "wuh?"

I'm not saying it's like every anime, I'm saying DMC is like an anime in it's own right.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Half demon DOG.

I still lean on the side of rip off.Let's go through the similarities shall we.
-Two brothers ,with white hair no less, are half demons (could add their color scheme for apparel too but whatever)
-One is very brash and punk like while the other is regal.
-They both have special swords forged from their father specifically given to them.
-Their father was a demonic protector.
-One shares empathy for humans while the other embraces his demonic heritage and believes he is superior because of it.
-Their Parents are dead! *slap*
If I remember correctly their confrontations also sort of mirror scenes from that show but whatever. Devil May Cry really took a lot from that series pretty much shamelessly so I will just safely say rip off and call it a day. DMC always took a lot from cartoons. Dante himself was Alucard and Cobra if they did a little fusion or something. DmC has the most distinct and original identity in the series. That mainly accounts for just the world that was created. Limbo was so awesome. I wish there was some more exploration because I wanted to explore more of Limbo. It's really cool and more interesting to look at than the previous DMC world that has levels that can fit just as well in a Castlevania game.

DragonMaster2010

I still lean on the side of rip off.Let's go through the similarities shall we.
-Two brothers ,with white hair no less, are half demons (could add their color scheme for apparel too but whatever)
-One is very brash and punk like while the other is regal.
-They both have special swords forged from their father specifically given to them.
-Their father was a demonic protector.
-One shares empathy for humans while the other embraces his demonic heritage and believes he is superior because of it.
-Their Parents are dead! *slap*
If I remember correctly their confrontations also sort of mirror scenes from that show but whatever. Devil May Cry really took a lot from that series pretty much shamelessly so I will just safely say rip off and call it a day. DMC always took a lot from cartoons. Dante himself was Alucard and Cobra if they did a little fusion or something. DmC has the most distinct and original identity in the series. That mainly accounts for just the world that was created. Limbo was so awesome. I wish there was some more exploration because I wanted to explore more of Limbo. It's really cool and more interesting to look at than the previous DMC world that has levels that can fit just as well in a Castlevania game.

Um no, DmC isn't THAT original. DmC was said to get inspiration from They Live, Inception, Fight Club, Rebel without a cause, a bit of Nolan's Dark Knight, and other things.

DmC is a unique Devil May Cry, but it's not original.

GF9000000Returns

Um no, DmC isn't THAT original. DmC was said to get inspiration from They Live, Inception, Fight Club, Rebel without a cause, a bit of Nolan's Dark Knight, and other things.

DmC is a unique Devil May Cry, but it's not original.

Wait did they intend to get inspirations or you're just saying what the old fans are saying?

Top Bottom