• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Three reviewers talk about DmC

EvilX-81

Ah, well, Dante was mocking the demon.

Not that complicated. It's just like that 'Fu@# you!' 'Fu@# you!' 'Fu@# you!' scene but with a little more... thought... into it.

Do you mean he was saying "I hope you have a brain in there somewhere?" Because if so, the voice actor should've slapped Capcom and made them rewrite it.

And I'll never understand why that scene in DmC gets so much flak, I mean it's stupid, but it's like it defines the totality of the story in the game.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Never knew anything about the demon crafting for money. I mean I remember it being mentioned offhand occasionally in DMC4. Still, it could have been clearer to me. He just talks about hoping there's something solid in his body, I figured the spider was going to drop a trinket for me to advance and the game was being a little self-referencial. But then IIRC he drops nothing... and besides that, in a world of demons and magic, I didn't take that people needed something solid to craft demon weapons out of if they at least have some of it's body in some manner or another. Meh. Line is still crap IMO, though less than before.

I more or less agree with DMC3/4 Dantes, particularly 3. They overdosed him on "cool" in that game, though I see him progressing somewhat in his maturity with his confrontations with Lady. Still, I think DMC1 Dante's image was spiked by cheesy delivery and sometimes cheesy mannerisms. The DMC1 personality just doesn't hold up today, though I think we're all behind the desire for a Dante with a right mixture of corniness, seriousness, and genuine humor.

Honestly it could have stayed DMC2 serious if they didn't have a witty enough writer with them. He didn't talk much in that game, but at least when he did, it did actually get a chuckle out of me, like when he met and beat Arius.

"King? Here's your crown." Simple statement, simple execution, but stupidly cool when he follows up by shooting the guy through the window like an action flick. If you can't do comedy, then simply DON'T DO IT, or at least keep it to a minimum of choice lines.

I did hate the boots, and the washboard-like shirt. The long coat though is always nice, along with the possibly too-long sword and super saiyan hairstyle. Did see a cool picture where Vergil wore that coat, with a somewhat business suit like attire. Was pretty baws IMO.

That and most of the information for his otherwise unknown motivations coming from outside of the games. Urgh. Frustrating. There's a lot of potential for Vergil in DMC3. but it's just never explored, and it seemed like half the time DMC3 was being cryptic for the sake of .. something, I dunno.
DMC just always sucked at story telling. Hell, Capcom just basically sucks at story telling in general. I might be a fan of the Resident Evil franchise but it is stupid as hell and doesn't really make much sense when you get right down to it. It's like a saturday morning cartoon plot.

DMC doesn't even really have any genuine humor. The jokes are stupid and corny and for the most part just come off as lame and weak. I like the subtle deliverance of humor in DMC 1 and the laid back Dante was cool. Devil May Cry doesn't have very sophisticated writing and I honestly don't understand what was so hard for you to get about that crack to the spider demon. I can think of some pretty decent jokes and my vision for a Devil May Cry would actually have some real funny and witty writing that wouldn't cross really into the cheese territory but have some good, honest humor. Why no one really took a shot at Dante's stupid get up in 4 and 2 is beyond me because those jokes write themselves.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Do you mean he was saying "I hope you have a brain in there somewhere?" Because if so, the voice actor should've slapped Capcom and made them rewrite it.

And I'll never understand why that scene in DmC gets so much flak, I mean it's stupid, but it's like it defines the totality of the story in the game.
Something to that effect.

I find it odd, though, that you'd find both of them stupid but only one of them needs to be rewritten.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
And according to alot of people. Did it fail in content? Yeah.
Gameplay, no. It's why truestyle players favor it. So much variety with combo's and all that jazz, almost like a fighter.

My opinion is pretty legit sorry to say.

But still, that's your opinion.

gameplay was pretty though.

WorkenOnMaLeft

Favorite right beside community and arrested development
Yea it may seem like a very goofy show but if you put in time you can tell its actually written pretty damn beautifully. It has smart jokes and obvious ones, as well as small odes to past episodes/seasons. Anywayyys are those shows you mentioned available on Netflix? Id love to check them out.

EvilX-81

Something to that effect.

I find it odd, though, that you'd find both of them stupid but only one of them needs to be rewritten.

Because DMC1's made no sense without reading the reference you showed (given if it's correct, Chancey believes he was referencing his trade of selling demon crafted weapons), then when you do and understand... well, who makes a "brainless" joke like that? I honestly thought he was talking about actually getting an object from his hide the first time I heard it, not cracking a joke.

Also the other you could actually find in real life (just not spoken by a half-breed combo and a slurm queen) so it is relatable.

EvilX-81

DMC just always sucked at story telling. Hell, Capcom just basically sucks at story telling in general. I might be a fan of the Resident Evil franchise but it is stupid as hell and doesn't really make much sense when you get right down to it. It's like a saturday morning cartoon plot.

Yea, that's true. I guess that was thinking behind Arius. Good lord, wtf was he supposed to be...

RE ran off the rails for me around 5 with matrix wesker (never played 4). I managed to get into the plots of the first 3 or so, but even then it baffled me why someone would create a friggin police station so elaborately, despite all the handwaving they did to it, so huge doses of disbelief suspension were needed.

DMC doesn't even really have any genuine humor. The jokes are stupid and corny and for the most part just come off as lame and weak. I like the subtle deliverance of humor in DMC 1 and the laid back Dante was cool. Devil May Cry doesn't have very sophisticated writing and I honestly don't understand what was so hard for you to get about that crack to the spider demon.

You believe it was about getting demon crafting weapons from his hide, right? berto believes that it Dante making a crack about it being dumb. I thought he was actually going to retrieve something from his body. I feel that there was definitely something missing in execution there, to say the least. Even then, Dante's voice before 3 lacked the charisma to pull off the lines IMO.

Why no one really took a shot at Dante's stupid get up in 4 and 2 is beyond me because those jokes write themselves.

Well, the chaps get a lot of jokes thrown at them. Honestly I didn't like his duds in 2 either, though I didn't find them too distant from his first attire, so it didn't bother me that much.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Because DMC1's made no sense without reading the reference you showed (given if it's correct, Chancey believes he was referencing his trade of selling demon crafted weapons), then when you do and understand... well, who makes a "brainless" joke like that? I honestly thought he was talking about actually getting an object from his hide the first time I heard it, not cracking a joke.

Also the other you could actually find in real life (just not spoken by a half-breed combo and a slurm queen) so it is relatable.
Well, I can't say I agree, I have zero issues with that sequence and alot of loathing fot the 'f#$@ you' back and forth, so I'll leave it at that.

I do think people often can't tell that relatable doesn't nesseseraly need to be part of a character to be likable. I've never served in the military but I still enjoy CoD. Never stolen a car nor participated on highly illegal activities but I've been known to play GTA every now and then. I just don't think relatability is that quinticential for a character to be appealing or likable.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yea, that's true. I guess that was thinking behind Arius. Good lord, wtf was he supposed to be...

RE ran off the rails for me around 5 with matrix wesker (never played 4). I managed to get into the plots of the first 3 or so, but even then it baffled me why someone would create a friggin police station so elaborately, despite all the handwaving they did to it, so huge doses of disbelief suspension were needed.

You believe it was about getting demon crafting weapons from his hide, right? berto believes that it Dante making a crack about it being dumb. I thought he was actually going to retrieve something from his body. I feel that there was definitely something missing in execution there, to say the least. Even then, Dante's voice before 3 lacked the charisma to pull off the lines IMO.

Well, the chaps get a lot of jokes thrown at them. Honestly I didn't like his duds in 2 either, though I didn't find them too distant from his first attire, so it didn't bother me that much.
The impression I got from the world of DMC was enough to come to that conclusion but mainly it all comes down to also that Dante is saying "If you fight me you're going to die, better hope it maybe isn't for nothing." Or now that I think about it, it could just all come down to Dante not being intimidated by the demon and was saying you better hope you pack a punch. I never really had to turn my brain on playing DMC. The game doesn't have a brain anyway really to pay attention to. I get turned off on the whole deal when I hear "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiight!" That was awful but actually one of the only scenes that ever made me laugh.

Dante is annoying in 3 and it's nothing more and nothing less but stupid to me. Devil May Cry needs to learn to make fun of itself because series like Metal Gear are very self aware of how batshit insane they can get and pokes fun at those crazy ideas and characters. Plus, I really don't like the trite anime trends he adapted. I may also be an avid anime fan but that doesn't make Devil May Cry likable to me. I got the sense playing back in the day DMC was going to do it's own thing in its own world. When the sequels rolled around DMC just became more and more anime like and 4 was like a terrible fanfiction written by an anime fan.

A shame really how what I think is the true Devil May Cry identity is never really going to be explored again because so many people think that DMC 3 defined the series. Quite frankly, I'm not a fan on the direction they took in DMC 3 which is why it's not my favorite. I do know the entire intention surrounding DmC and I was never against the series pulling something new and it's why I also enjoy DmC for what it is. Still a good Devil May Cry in my book but, if it was up to me I say revert to the identity of the first and let's make that world more distinct and improve on the writing and characters. The first Devil May Cry is the defining world to me. Hell, I didn't mind the world in DMC 2 but it really stripped a little from that charm the first game had.

I still look as DmC as the Ultimate series to DMC's Earth 616 and they've accomplished for the most part what they set out to do. I want a sequel to DmC but eventually I'd like to see a follow up to the world the first Devil May Cry established.

NostalgicRobotX

DMC just became more and more anime like and 4 was like a terrible fanfiction written by an anime fan.
Can someone do me the favor of explaining what this even means? From the way I see it you are vaguely classifying it under a genre(a very wide genre at that) from another form of media, and then saying "it's terrible because it's terrible".

As for the actual review, I can't really say much about it. It's not really much of a debate or open platform when it is a group of like minded individuals agreeing with each other, while having little actual experience with the franchise. I assume the whole point of the discussion was to justify improvements over the original series, but I can't give them much credit because some of their information regarding the original 4 games wasn't properly justified, or even factual.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Can someone do me the favor of explaining what this even means? From the way I see it you are vaguely classifying it under a genre(a very wide genre at that) from another form of media, and then saying "it's terrible because it's terrible".
For some people anything from Japan can be called anime. You know, samurai, shinobi, shogun and sushi are too much like anime too! If people would say dmc4 was getting too cartoony and over the top i could agree with that.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

As for the actual review, I can't really say much about it. It's not really much of a debate or open platform when it is a group of like minded individuals agreeing with each other, while having little actual experience with the franchise. I assume the whole point of the discussion was to justify improvements over the original series, but I can't give them much credit because some of their information regarding the original 4 games wasn't properly justified, or even factual.
I am also an avid anime fan but it was just basically becoming a bad anime fanfiction. That's what I was trying to say. It was just adapting these trite trends you've seen in those cartoons like 1000 times. I like good anime shows and DMC doesn't make a good one. I mean the actual anime sucks anyway so.

NostalgicRobotX

I am also an avid anime fan but it was just basically becoming a bad anime fanfiction. That's what I was trying to say. It was just adapting these trite trends you've seen in those cartoons like 1000 times. I like good anime shows and DMC doesn't make a good one. I mean the actual anime sucks anyway so.
Anime doesn't conform 100% to the cliches that you seem to imply. I don't know what anime you watch, but it certainly doesn't seem to be very broad. I am genuinely curious as to how someone could form such a strong opinion based on what seems like such poor justification. So I repeat, please clarify exactly what tropes make DMC3&4 "anime-like," and make sure that said tropes aren't also commonly found in other forms of animation since you singled "anime" out entirely.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Anime doesn't conform 100% to the cliches that you seem to imply. I don't know what anime you watch, but it certainly doesn't seem to be very broad. I am genuinely curious as to how someone could form such a strong opinion based on what seems like such poor justification. So I repeat, please clarify exactly what tropes make DMC3&4 "anime-like," and make sure that said tropes aren't also commonly found in other forms of animation since you singled "anime" out entirely.
I've seen lots and lots of anime shows but DMC 3 and 4 were just this generic anime rip offs. DMC 3 is shamelessly Inuyasha and 4 was basically like that stupid Bleach show. I don't care for either Inuyasha or Bleach so maybe that's why I don't care for such blantant rip offs in it's content.

I've seen hundreds of shows probably more than most anime fans and possible way more than you because I kind of just watch anything for the hell of it. I had a website where I watched like all these shows by randomly clicking on it. Knew nothing about them but just watched because I was bored. Had a lot of free time to chill at this one job I worked at. Watched like a million anime shows to pass the time. I assure you I'm an avid fan but some of my favorites are stuff like:
GANTZ, Elfen Lied, MM!, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, DB/DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, Fooly Cooly, FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Higurashi, and I guess that's about it. Those are some of my favorites that really stand out to me personal. I hate a lot of stuff like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, or a lot of stuff people typically obsess over because I like unique ones the most. Stuff that do some real cool or crazy sh!t that doesn't succumb to the typical cliches stuff those shows in the latter usually have.

DragonMaster2010

I'll give that explanation.

First;
Romance
Now I've seen some Romance in anime before. Some done good others done bad. However DMC4 is that cheesy anime romance to a T. There was no real development of their love except "Oh they're together now. Done." When I see two people in love at least show more of it instead of having awkward silences between each other. God, at least be like Moka and Tsukune from Rosario and look into each others eyes, repeating each others names for hours. And at the end, Kyrie just excepted Nero and that was it. Now I know there should be more to it. I mean Nero did beat up her brother, and if it wasn't for Nero, Kyrie wouldn't have been captured like she did. But nope, she's just like "Oh I don't care, as long as I can be with you." Really? So you just accept him with no question at all? It's like Twilight a little. Except Bella actually had more character. Even so, it's still an anime trope.

The clothes
I know that fashion is subjective and its changing everyday, but you can sit there and tell me that their clothes aren't from anime, cause then I'd say "I don't think so". Nero's attire is that of the fashionable hoodie under the coat look which has been done many a times before in anime, but oh look! He wears a long coat now! Ho, I'm sure no one in anime ever wears long coats! Right?! Wrong. Now going down the line, Kyrie's clothes are something I'd see back in the 1800s or so, and so is Credos uniform and the others as well. But Lady, Trish, and Dante are a different story. Lady's outfit is the total anime trope of dressing less for more. As in wearing less clothes and showing more skin to get more fanboys. Trish was actually dressed modestly, but even so that didn't stop the troping of anime women in leather. And then there's Dante. I don't even need to talk about Dante, cause the proof is right there.

Music
I know I shouldn't judge the gender of music and it's not like there were japanese vocals in DMC4, but the music really tuned down from it's loud and in your face power that DMC3 had. It sort of toned itself down to a more anime like vibe with it's battle music and the rest of its music in fact. Though I did like standard daytime. That was chill. Anywho, I like anime ost, but you gotta admit some of DMC4's music was something anime themed.

Lines
This one was a no brainier that this game was anime based. Most of the lines were definitely anime based. Most lines in anime take from western movies and every now and then from older movies as well. Here's a few I found.
- "Audios, kid."
-"So much for a small banter."
-"Fire's bad for the complexion. I burn easily and get a tan."
-"Now that's a solid performance from an old fart like you."
-"Baby yeah!"
-"Nice!"
-"Sweet!"

There are others, but you get my point. They just don't take that extra mile with their lines and stay in the anime genre-type with no actual edge to at least say a "F*ck you" or speak in a more western dialect to really get me to believe that these characters aren't really just Japanese anime characters with American names.

All in All
People can try to deny it all they want, but in the end, DMC4 is anime styled. If you go to anime sites, DMC4 will be there. If you go to Minitokyo, DMC will be there more then DmC because DMC is more anime based. If you go to zero-chan DMC4 will be there, why? Because it's close to anime styled.

DragonMaster2010

But it's really not, it takes more than 2 VAs to make something a rip off.

True but it did have;

-Kyrie's outfit closely resembling Orihime's during the Las Noches arc.
-Nero using a bigass sword like Ichigo
-Nero using a high powered katana
-The order practically being the Arrancar but only with a few members
-Yes the two voice actors
-Nero's attitude with that whole hot head routine. (Though not completely like Ichigo)
ElSuperEmo1.png

Top Bottom