• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Three reviewers talk about DmC

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Do I have to hate DmC and pretend the stupidity in this fanbase doesn't exist? Can I never criticize DMC even though it deserves just as much criticism as any other game in the franchise? I mean, the anti-DmC groups leaves all their very evident hate for DmC with snide remarks and passive aggressive trolling post. Why isn't it fair for anyone who may have had issues with the original series not allowed to spike up that defense?

Again, who am I baiting here? We're talking about the subject matter at hand and the only one it seems to be bothering the most is you. I'm not asking for your response but you did anyway (not once but twice) because it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Yet you can leave your opinions about DmC and that's fine. Someone said they liked DmC and explained why they think it's a good game and you simply responded to that person with a "nah it's not." Like you were correct. So it's totally fine for you to leave opinions others may not like but when someone else does it and says something you don't want to hear that's not cool.

Is everyone in the fanbase being ridiculous? Nope. Are a very vocal minority doing it? Yep. Are they mostly anti-DmC? Yep. Just take a trip around the internet and you'll see my point.

I simply like both versions of Devil May Cry and willing to point out the flaws in both. But I'm not a fan right? Even though after everything I said at the end of the day my favorite game in the series and the one I think is the best out of them all is DMC 1. The original legendary OG game that started it all. I will proudly say DMC 1, no matter how dated the game may be, is the best in the entire franchise. Better than DMC 3. Better than DmC. Better than every single Devil May Cry. The original is not even your favorite Cherry and people surprisingly give it very little love around here. But I'm not a fan remember lol. Silly me.

Yes, you can criticize DMC, but a lot of people actually treat DmC 'antis' as the image they have in their minds of the worst of the DMC fanbase. The word 'anti' is in itself pretty hostile, I suppose. No need to polarize everyone by using terms like 'antis' and 'pros' and applying those terms here.

Kind of weird; you leave your comments not addressed to anyone sometimes, then get offended when people respond to them? I'm not saying this is happening right now in this thread, but it's happened before, and I don't understand what you expect people to do. This is a forum, after all. Whether you intended it like that or not, you draw out people by warping what they said (about DmC, usually) in order to 'spike up a defense (for DmC)'. Those are your words, not mine. And why would you need to defend DmC if haters only hate DmC by saying things without a reasoned basis? Just ignore them, unless they make valid points about DmC.

The funny thing is, you're accusing the person who said ''nah, it's not'' of doing the same thing you've done. That is, calling one game or another terrible without giving a valid well argued reason for it. Like when saying ''DMC4 Dante sucks'' or ''DMC4's plot sucks''. I believe you said DMC4 sucks as a whole. The usual reason given for that view is ''because I don't like it/I hate it'', which is an emotional way of appraising things. That emotion will only incite antagonism. Hate draws out hate.

I am glad, though, that you're privy to the fact that not all people who like DMC are like that moronic, hateful minority of the fanbase. We just need to keep it civil and factual, if we can. Remind me of this post whenever I make those mistakes again :p

Domenic93

Yes, you can criticize DMC, but a lot of people actually treat DmC 'antis' as the image they have in their minds of the worst of the DMC fanbase. The word 'anti' is in itself pretty hostile, I suppose. No need to polarize everyone by using terms like 'antis' and 'pros' and applying those terms here.

Kind of weird; you leave your comments not addressed to anyone sometimes, then get offended when people respond to them? I'm not saying this is happening right now in this thread, but it's happened before, and I don't understand what you expect people to do. This is a forum, after all. Whether you intended it like that or not, you draw out people by warping what they said (about DmC, usually) in order to 'spike up a defense (for DmC)'. Those are your words, not mine. And why would you need to defend DmC if haters only hate DmC by saying things without a reasoned basis? Just ignore them, unless they make valid points about DmC.

The funny thing is, you're accusing the person who said ''nah, it's not'' of doing the same thing you've done. That is, calling one game or another terrible without giving a valid well argued reason for it. Like when saying ''DMC4 Dante sucks'' or ''DMC4's plot sucks''. I believe you said DMC4 sucks as a whole. The usual reason given for that view is ''because I don't like it/I hate it'', which is an emotional way of appraising things. That emotion will only incite antagonism. Hate draws out hate.

I am glad, though, that you're privy to the fact that not all people who like DMC are like that moronic, hateful minority of the fanbase. We just need to keep it civil and factual, if we can. Remind me of this post whenever I make those mistakes again :p
from what I've been able to piece togeather he acts alot like that Hack from the tester season 2, what was his name again.... oh that's right big fazeek or something like that,
here's a compilation of the guys stupidity*warning face palming yourself until you bleed levels of stupidity and jackass levels of the new york city multiplied by new jersey :

I'm not saying chancey's this bad

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
from what I've been able to piece togeather he acts alot like that Hack from the tester season 2, what was his name again.... oh that's right big fazeek or something like that,
here's a compilation of the guys stupidity*warning face palming yourself until you bleed levels of stupidity and jackass levels of the new york city multiplied by new jersey :

I'm not saying chancey's this bad

I don't see anyone here in that way, but it's still a funny fragment. Never even seen it, so thanks for that :)

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

Well, I'm glad your post wasn't completely defensive.

Personally though, I think Chancey's the least of your problems... when it comes to DmC.

You said that some people who are for DmC are viewing those who are against DmC in a bad light. The same could be said for those who dislike DmC (whatever their reason may be).

I've stated my criticisms for the game. I've stated why I've liked the game. I just don't think it deserves this much vitriol. The game itself is somewhat of an art statement for me. Others may disagree with that, but that's fine. It won't make me change my own personal point of view on DmC, however.

Other people have already gotten on Chancey's case. However, I'm not asking you to defend him. In fact, I appreciate that you're trying to reason with him.

On a side note: I don't view the "Anti" title as offensive. I've been called Anti-DMC1, and I wasn't offended at all. Is it the fact that you've been labeled you find offensive?

All I'm saying is that if you start a conversation with someone, and if you try to insinuate anything, they will respond in kind. You said this was a forum. You're right.

If you can state your opinion, others can do so as well. If you find something offensive, others can be offended as well.

I'm not trying to come off as insulting; I'm saying that certain people are stating: "Do as I say, not as I do."

Not saying you're one of them (you're not -- you tried to be reasonable without being condescending in your last post towards Chancey, keep it up). I'm saying that other people (whether or not they're against DmC) should follow your example.

I don't see anyone here in that way...

Good. I honestly don't think anyone here, or on any other forum, should.

Edit:

How about I write my own "reboot" for DMC in the fanfic section? It would be no more official than DmC anyway (alternate universe). So, I see it as a viable alternative.

With some help, I may be even be able to make a flash game (I highly doubt anyone would even want either of these things, I'm just offering an option) to coincide with the story.

Edit:

DMC 1, 2, and 3, were all meant to be taken seriously as a story.

There were some out-of-place moments (like Dunte playing the guitar and Vergell chopping up Beowulf's body with a Lunar Phase before going into a fighter pose) but those moments didn't bring you out of the experience like Dunte's Shakespearean confetti scene and Nero's constant crying way after Kyrie had been kidnapped... he should have been trying to find a way to go after her instead of wasting time.

Either way, it didn't get into parody territory until Capcom heard about Bayonetta and tried to make Dunte as ridiculous as possible -- I'm pretty sure that Lucifer scene was forced in later on in the development process. :/

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You said that some people who are for DmC are viewing those who are against DmC in a bad light. The same could be said for those who dislike DmC (whatever their reason may be).

On a side note: I don't view the "Anti" title as offensive. I've been called Anti-DMC1, and I wasn't offended at all. Is it the fact that you've been labeled you find offensive?

All I'm saying is that if you start a conversation with someone, and if you try to insinuate anything, they will respond in kind. You said this was a forum. You're right. If you can state your opinion, others can do so as well. If you find something offensive, others can be offended as well.

How about I write my own "reboot" for DMC in the fanfic section? It would be no more official than DmC anyway (alternate universe). So, I see it as a viable alternative. With some help, I may be even be able to make a flash game (I highly doubt anyone would even want either of these things, I'm just offering an option) to coincide with the story.

Edit:

DMC 1, 2, and 3, were all meant to be taken seriously as a story.

There were some out-of-place moments (like Dunte playing the guitar and Vergell chopping up Beowulf's body with a Lunar Phase before going into a fighter pose) but those moments didn't bring you out of the experience like Dunte's Shakespearean confetti scene and Nero's constant crying way after Kyrie had been kidnapped... he should have been trying to find a way to go after her instead of wasting time. Either way, it didn't get into parody territory until Capcom heard about Bayonetta and tried to make Dunte as ridiculous as possible -- I'm pretty sure that Lucifer scene was forced in later on in the development process. :/

Yeah, exactly. I also mean that not everybody who likes DmC should be viewed as ''liking it just to hate on DMC'' or anything like that. Both sides should stop using juvenile logic. And I'm not sure what being 'for' DmC means. Wanting to see DmC turn into a game series, as opposed to wanting DMC back? Anyway, I'd like DMC back, but that doesn't mean I hate DmC, which is exactly what people think, though.

Well, the words 'anti' and 'pro' or 'supporter' really makes it seem like there's rivalry between the two sides. Rivalry in the bad sense of the word. Isn't it just enough to say 'those who like DmC/DMC' and 'those who don't like it'? It's not a battlefield, after all. And then you see just about everyone who says something negative about either DMC or DmC called supporters or antis, which just seems wrong. What if you like and play both games? Would you be someone who 'defected to the other side'? :p

Exactly my point, too. People should take responsibility for what they say. Nobody's forced to answer questions, nobody's part of 'the machine', the DMC fanbase as a whole or the DmC fanbase. It's not like both fanbases are worldwide institutions that automatically encompass everyone.

Write a reboot yourself? That's interesting, and that's putting it mildly. I've read some ideas on this forum before, and some of them surpass most game developers' plot ideas. I say go for it! :)

True, the DMCs were meant to be taken seriously, but not at all times. It makes sense for Dante to play the guitar at some point. Heck, the game starts out with him relaxing, then saying ''this party's getting crazy'' when demons come into his agency. It didn't yoink me out of the experience. Nor did Dante's Shakespeare-themed play with Agnus. That's just who he is, and Agnus seemed to fit into that picture. So I guess that's a personal gripe. I liked Nero, and thought his crying was unnecessary, but then I thought, no it isn't. That's his weakness, after all: Kyrie. It's meant to show that he's not as awesome and Godlike as he pretends to be. Besides, not every action hero needs to wear a cape, say awesome things and be as flat a character as possible. The Lucifer scene seemed to fit, too. DMC3 was very much like it at times (Dante taunting Cerberus in a funny way, parodying Bruce Lee for a moment, etc).

And thanks! Trust me, it's not easy to know what you're saying and preventing emotion from taking over. I sure as hell didn't start out this way, nor do I make no mistakes anymore. I just hope people can get over the whole DmC vs DMC business.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Thanks. I'll see what I can do about that fanfic.

It's gonna be pretty controversial, though. The only reason I might be even calling it "DMC" is because it's going to have that classic "Broadsword vs. Katana" mechanic . I personally wouldn't change that aspect of the story for anything, regardless.

If I had almost the exact same weapons, then I would probably have to call it DMC or something similar, anyway.

I would be glad to call it something else though, seeing as how this is a complete disconnect (not even a "spin-off") of DMC. It depends on what the others would want.

DMC or "Something Else"? We'll see later on.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

The reason why I hate DMC 4 is because of how lazy the overall package is and what it represents. I don't like the characters and that stupid anime fanfiction feel the thing has. It really is very annoying having to just repeat the same levels again and again based around this really bad obnoxious design. The combat was fine but when the overall experience just sort of kills that enjoyment. I can just go back and play the other games because at least those while still having good combat wasn't so lazy and halfassed when it came to the overall package.

Playing DMC 4 was like ordering food and the chef only cooked 1 thing on your plate thinking that he's excused even though he didn't bother cooking the rest of your meal. I'm like, this doesn't change the fact I'm paying for the meal and you're suppose to put in the effort regardless of whatever excuse you may have. This doesn't change the fact you left everything else on my plate uncooked and hardly edible dude. Just hand it over to a different chef. He might be new to the scene and has a bit of green confidence but hey, at least he gives a crap.

Unlike you Capcom. You just don't give a crap about any of your franchises do you? Where's MegaMan? At least Ducktales is coming back. I adore Ducktales and loved that game so I'll be fine. I want it even though I still have the original NES game. Ducktales is just so awesome.

Gives a crap as in mocking the entire original fanbase and being arrogant?

They were just trying to draw in a new audience. DmC is about sticking it to the man! Aggravating Classic DMC fans was all part of their genius marketing scheme. DmC is about anarchy you know stuff that was really big back 'in the day' despite Tameem saying all that junk about old stuff being uncool.

Also, I've seen comments on youtube videos defending lord Tam-Tam kun saying "He didn't know any better!" I hope they were being ironic.

Unlike you Capcom. You just don't give a crap about any of your franchises do you? Where's MegaMan?

On the moon.

283545_150668585007391_149316248475958_280278_3350469_n.jpg

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
The reason why I hate DMC 4 is because of how lazy the overall package is and what it represents. I don't like the characters and that stupid anime fanfiction feel the thing has. It really is very annoying having to just repeat the same levels again and again based around this really bad obnoxious design. The combat was fine but when the overall experience just sort of kills that enjoyment. I can just go back and play the other games because at least those while still having good combat wasn't so lazy and halfassed when it came to the overall package.

Playing DMC 4 was like ordering food and the chef only cooked 1 thing on your plate thinking that he's excused even though he didn't bother cooking the rest of your meal. I'm like, this doesn't change the fact I'm paying for the meal and you're suppose to put in the effort regardless of whatever excuse you may have. This doesn't change the fact you left everything else on my plate uncooked and hardly edible dude. Just hand it over to a different chef. He might be new to the scene and has a bit of green confidence but hey, at least he gives a crap.

Unlike you Capcom. You just don't give a crap about any of your franchises do you? Where's MegaMan? At least Ducktales is coming back. I adore Ducktales and loved that game so I'll be fine. I want it even though I still have the original NES game. Ducktales is just so awesome.

Alright, that's very understandable. Still, I'm not sure I found DMC4 to be more 'anime fanfiction'-like than DMC3. Dante is a lot like the Dante in DMC3, only less hyperactive. The backtracking is indeed what would kill the game for most people. Making you backtrack with Dante makes it seem like half the game was left out, but then, DMC4 was never intended to have two protagonists. Which is why the first trailers of DMC4 only showed Dante (who looked less buff and more like something between DMC1 and DMC2 Dante. Mostly DMC1). So I can't say the game's unfinished or anything. Nero's story alone seems almost as comprehensive as DMC3's levels did, though I can say it was hell having to backtrack with Dante.

Not exactly similar to your analogy. I'd say the chef actually made everything you wanted, but added spices that made it taste worse (the backtracking part). Hah, that sounded so stupid XD I'll stop throwing around analogies now :p

I agree about Capcom. They need to get their s*** together, especially with Resident Evil. But that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom