• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

La Femme Fatale

Her Royal Nonsense
Meg! That's soooooo bitchy :p

You know what's funny? When I had four 'o's the spellcheck underlined it. When I added a few more it didn't notice anything.

I'll stop now though, I'm done my lil' rant.

Reactions: Meg

Viper

Premium
When there is no background on a character given it's bad.
When there are flashbacks with information on a character given it's bad.
When a character uses science and various devices to save himself from an attack it's bad.
When a character uses his weapon's special magical abilities to catch the enemy into a trap it's bad.
I guess nothing besides two guys smacking each other with swords will ever be good enough for these people.
And I should avoid chapter threads for good.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
When there is no background on a character given it's bad.
When there are flashbacks with information on a character given it's bad.
When a character uses science and various devices to save himself from an attack it's bad.
When a character uses his weapon's special magical abilities to catch the enemy into a trap it's bad.
I guess nothing besides two guys smacking each other with swords will ever be good enough for these people.
And I should avoid chapter threads for good.

Don't let other people push their style of writing on you.

1) Having a fully fleshed out character background provided in a story may work for some, but not for others--and seldom does it work out well in the former case. Unless the character's background has some impact or connection to the events of the story, it's wasted space. Anyone who tells you different is talking out their ass; if you don't want to incorporate your character's background, you don't have to.

2) Who the hell are these people? I find flashbacks are some of the best times to expand on a character's background, provided it isn't written like an info dump and can be linked to the story's events or the character's personality/way of thinking.

3) Again...who the heck are these people?

4) Okay, now they're just nitpicking. Limitations on the character's abilities and giving them flaws/setbacks? Awesome; but that shouldn't mean your character can't have an impressive display of power at his/her disposal. It's just a matter of making sure the opposition isn't easily overtaken by it, that they can go toe-to-toe with your hero.

Don't let them get you down, Viper. Ignore them, and do your own thing--whether your writing a book or a comic, or what-have-you, it's not about doing what everybody else says is "right"--it's about making yourself happy, first and foremost. :)

CRT: Goddamn NaNo word counter is shafting me, yet again. :meh:

Viper

Premium
Don't let other people push their style of writing on you.

1) Having a fully fleshed out character background provided in a story may work for some, but not for others--and seldom does it work out well in the former case. Unless the character's background has some impact or connection to the events of the story, it's wasted space. Anyone who tells you different is talking out their ass; if you don't want to incorporate your character's background, you don't have to.

2) Who the hell are these people? I find flashbacks are some of the best times to expand on a character's background, provided it isn't written like an info dump and can be linked to the story's events or the character's personality/way of thinking.

3) Again...who the heck are these people?

4) Okay, now they're just nitpicking. Limitations on the character's abilities and giving them flaws/setbacks? Awesome; but that shouldn't mean your character can't have an impressive display of power at his/her disposal. It's just a matter of making sure the opposition isn't easily overtaken by it, that they can go toe-to-toe with your hero.

Don't let them get you down, Viper. Ignore them, and do your own thing--whether your writing a book or a comic, or what-have-you, it's not about doing what everybody else says is "right"--it's about making yourself happy, first and foremost. :)

CRT: Goddamn NaNo word counter is shafting me, yet again. :meh:

Umm, maybe I should have mentioned that I was talking about opinions on Bleach. :blush:
But I'm sure Kubo would have loved to read your encouragement, I know my spirits have been lifted by it. :D

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
My hubby and I almost got into a car accident thanks to some crazy lady who had a light wight plastic table fall out of her truck while she was driving. >.> Good thing he was driving slowly and being careful around her when we saw her. ._. It could have been bad. Well, at least we made it to the mall where I got The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. lol <3

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
You're really ticking me off. I've asked you repeatedly to leave me alone and stay away. I've tried the subtle approach and I have tried the nice approach and I have tried to be firm, but I am so f*cking close to the "not nice" approach. Stop following me everywhere. Stop spying on me. I want nothing to do with you. Don't you see that what you're doing is stalking? What you are doing in not appealing and I have been extremely forthcoming that there is no way I could ever reciprocate your feelings. I do not like you. I do not want you in my life. And I do not appreciate the harassment. I know you're reading this. If you do not stop, I'm taking this to the admins of every site you've hounded me on. Stop contacting me. Stop contacting my family members about me. Leave. Me. Alone.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
There should be a holiday where you can eat for a week straight.

While watching marathons.
There should be a holiday for an entire month where you can be locked away on an island resort with internet access and mute but attractive staff that continually bring you biscuits and tea and coffee and wine without being asked to do so and without disturbing you.
They should call it Writer's Holiday.
THAT would be amazing. I'd vote for whoever swears they'd make it happen.

T&C: All associated costs are government funded.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You're really ticking me off. I've asked you repeatedly to leave me alone and stay away. I've tried the subtle approach and I have tried the nice approach and I have tried to be firm, but I am so f*cking close to the "not nice" approach. Stop following me everywhere. Stop spying on me. I want nothing to do with you. Don't you see that what you're doing is stalking? What you are doing in not appealing and I have been extremely forthcoming that there is no way I could ever reciprocate your feelings. I do not like you. I do not want you in my life. And I do not appreciate the harassment. I know you're reading this. If you do not stop, I'm taking this to the admins of every site you've hounded me on. Stop contacting me. Stop contacting my family members about me. Leave. Me. Alone.

This is worrying, Shad. Harassing your family too?

Look, just ditch the nice approach at this point. It's clear it does not work and just feeds this guy with boldness. Cause he's sure you'll never react. Time to make a statement.

You got a clear conscience, you tried to be nice. But game needs to be over now for this guy.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Why do you guys have to take it in turns? Like, one of you behaves in the morning while the other beats the crap out of me and then you swap by mid-afternoon and I get battered by the other one.

So sick and tired of getting beaten up every damn day.

Supposed to be caring for Megan tomorrow but now my back has been stamped on, I can barely walk upright.

Seriously, I did not sign up for this shizzle...

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm getting sick and tired of hearing people bitch about how since now the PS4 is PS2 backwards compatible they either did it because of Microsoft or they complain about it not playing PS3 games.

MainEvent did it first, I don't always agree with the guy but sometimes it gets ridiculous. Dude, you will never get digital PS3 games to run on the PS4, there are dozens of videos on YouTube explaining why, it's like expecting a DVD player to play Laserdiscs or Blu Rays or a Mac to run PC software, it's just not build for it. After I saw the video where he complained about it I started seeing it in a bunch of different places, people who complained about the same thing. It doesn't work that way, look it up and you'll know why, and no adding a cell processor to the PS4 is not going to happen because it would skyrocket the price of PS4s and sony learned that lesson when the PS3 was $500-600 and they paid the price for it, no pun intended. Look it up.

And, no, it's not because the XB1 just released backwards compatibility that Sony is doing it. Sony started dropping hints for almost as long as the PS4 has been on the market and that is about how long it takes to actually accomplish it. It's not something you decide one day 'well, it worked for them' and then announce it a few months later. It takes time, it's taking time, it didn't just occur to them, the demand has been there since the discussion of it possibly been compatible with the PS2 came up way back when. How long do people think it took Microsoft to pull their BC off? So, yeah, they said that they weren't interested in BC, for the PS3, because it couldn't be done, they didn't change their minds because of the XB1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom