• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Predator 2018

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
A great sense of nervous tension. Something that a sequel would find hard to live up to; Predator 2 fell short of that, for me.

Yeah but it's not what they went for in P2. We already know what a Predator looks like and what it can do, so there's no point in trying making the viewer feel tense or whatever. We know the threat.

Instead of the mystery derived from the unknown (cause as I said before, would have been pointless), they went for the kind of mystery you find in investigation media, as you watch Harrigan and his team trying to figure out what it is that they're dealing with, while at the same time, giving the Predator more screen time (thanks to a higher budget no doubt) and focusing more on him, and adding a lot to the mythos, like its arsenal (the iconic Combistick, Net Gun were introduced here, and the Smart Disc too, although the AVP movies will later reduce it to a more generic big shuriken), the Predator architecture, a deeper insight into their culture and habits.

Predators did that too, although kinda playing it safe by referencing the first movie WAY too much. That's why I want Shane Black to take all that into account and flesh things out more and expand on what the previous movie established. That's what any good sequel should do.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Foxtrot94: You see, I do agree with a lot of your points. And I do see where you're coming from. But for me, I felt that Predator was like a game of survival for that group of soldiers. Yeah we already know the threat and what it's capable of, but that feeling of tension's what made Predator a great movie (speaking for myself). So whereas I get what you mean, I do disagree slightly that it would've been 'pointless' to attempt to live up to that nerve-wracking and tense feeling that the first gave off.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Take time & plan things out & not rely so much on the blueprints of the previous films.

In that regard, I admit I'm a little scared of that statement about how this new movie will make us see the franchise in a different way.

I mean, that could mean both a great film or some sort of bastardization. But, I tend to the former, as I said before, I trust Shane Black. He was part of the first movie, and not only as an actor. He was also asked to "keep an eye" on McTiernan and help him with direction. So, I'm optimistic.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I really wouldn't mind if Arnold and the Predator had a rematch...in a way

1398099-terminator_vs_predator_movie_pic.jpg

.....LET ME DREAM!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
LMAO. Yeah right, cause having a Predator who takes on groups of armed men all movie long no problem is pushover-ish.

Plus, just like Aliens for Alien, P2 added a lot to the lore and mythos.
P2 was mess because honestly? In first movie it was creature who takes out squad of heavy armed trained mercenaries who went through hell of war, while in second predator got his acts wiped all over the place by cool LA cop. Sorry objectively speaking Dutch should have take Harrigan out with no problem in mano o mano. And yet Dutch was barely able to defeat Predator by using traps while Harrigan took out Predator like a boss face to face. Its just same kind of writing as Halloween: Resurrection where Myers got his ass kicked by karate of Busta Rhymes and Texas Chainsaw Massacre III where cool survivalist guy kicks poor young cannibal's ass in neverland.

It was a total mess and arguably screwed with the Alien lore just as much as AVP. That's something.
Well that's like yours opinion you know? Resurrection was considered better than A3 and was even praised by Giger himself. And it did got better reception than Predators, which was the only decent sequel to original Predator. So sorry, its not about personal likes or dislikes. Its just about quality. And predator sadly do stumbles behind Alien in quality. Which hopefully will be corrected by new film.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Please guys, don't continue this "I'm right and you're not" discussion. You're both essentially saying it comes down to your taste in movies. So where's the big deal? Neither is "greater" than the other.

Predators and Aliens kill each other. They've got history. Predator 2 shows this with the alien skull behind the glass case. And Aliens vs Predators explains this also. Both are great sci-fi action movies, and they compliment each other really. I don't see the problem here.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
In first movie it was creature who takes out squad of heavy armed trained mercenaries who went through hell of war

I addressed this earlier (alongside why P2 is a good sequel and so on).

And predator sadly do stumbles behind Alien in quality.

I addressed this too.

Seriously, if I were to respond to your post, I would repeat myself. Might as well go re-read the entire thread. This is going in a circle.

At least we can all agree that the latest films regarding these franchises (the AVP movies) did both an extreme disservice and left them bleeding in a puddle under the rain so at least there's light in both tunnels: someone competent and with familiarity with the Predator franchise is gonna direct the next entry, and Blomkamp's Alien movie is said to disregard Resurection's mess and perhaps Colonial Marines as well (YES please... pretend that game's story doesn't exist and force Fox to declare it non canon, for the love of God).

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I addressed this earlier (alongside why P2 is a good sequel and so on).
uh. no you didn't. Sorry but I still can't find reason why guy who isn't a solider, nor mercenary or any other war jobs could kick Predator's butt face to face, while Dutch with his years of military experience barely survived encounter. Through is through it smells to much after horrendous writing which many sequel of horror movies suffering.

I addressed this too.
quoting on you: I'm saying that the appreciation curve, from both critics and audience, doesn't play in Alien's favour.. Actually it does. lets put personal merit aside and look. I don't take Alien, Aliens or first Predator, because I think we all agree those are cult classics. Alien 3 got 44 % on rotten tomatoes which is bad but not complete dropout in terms of score (well you may disagree with it, but still). Resurrection got 54% which is mediocre bad but better than A3. Predator 2 got 25 % which is terrible no matter how you look at it. Preadtors got 64% which is higher than mediocre but still not good. So in the end Alien ends with 2 mediocre sequels and Predator with one bad and mediocre sequel. None of them were able to top originals. And if you take Prometheus in account (which I disagree should be there, but you counted it as well) it got 73% which was decent. So it goes like 44 - 54 - 73 for Alien and 25 - 64 for Predator. Which kinda rather plays in favour of alien and not predator, which is why I can't really agree with your quote. And I don't take my personal taste here, because I hated Prometheus and P2 equally
At least we can all agree that the latest films regarding these franchises (the AVP movies) did both an extreme disservice and left them bleeding in a puddle under the rain so at least there's light in both tunnels: someone competent and with familiarity with the Predator franchise is gonna direct the next entry, and Blomkamp's Alien movie is said to disregard Resurection's mess and perhaps Colonial Marines as well (YES please... pretend that game's story doesn't exist and force Fox to declare it non canon, for the love of God).
Yes. AvP hit both franchises harder than rest. New alien ignores both Resurreciton and A3 picking from Aliens forward.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
uh. no you didn't. Sorry but I still can't find reason why guy who isn't a solider, nor mercenary or any other war jobs could kick Predator's butt face to face, while Dutch with his years of military experience barely survived encounter.

But he couldn't. First off, Harrigan ain't a pushover himself (did you see how he took out those guys at the beginning?). Second, whenever he faces the Pred in hand to hand combat, he is outmatched. Just like Dutch before him, he gets a lucky shot, in his case with the Predator's disc, which was the only thing that gave him the upper hand eventually in the first place. That thing is sharper than a razor and freaking deadly.

Actually it does.

Actually it doesn't. The leap from Alien 3 to Resurrection is nowhere near to the leap from Predator 2 and Predators. That's what a curve is. Getting from very low to sufficiency is better than getting from low to still mediocre. And Predators did get a higher score than Resurrection anyway. Also, fyi, a score from 60 upwards isn't mediocre. Around the 50 mark, that's where mediocrity stands.

And besides, discussions based on sites like that are often just fluff as the ratings vary from site to site. So ultimately they're not the most viable source for this kind of discussions, cause in the end, which one is to be trusted?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But he couldn't. First off, Harrigan ain't a pushover himself (did you see how he took out those guys at the beginning?). Second, whenever he faces the Pred in hand to hand combat, he is outmatched. Just like Dutch before him, he gets a lucky shot, in his case with the Predator's disc, which was the only thing that gave him the upper hand eventually in the first place. That thing is sharper than a razor and freaking deadly.
Sorry, but Predator 2 enemies were street gangs, and most of those guys didn't survived 2 days in a field or circumstances in which Dutch's team acted. So I still can't come up with a terms that barely alive Dutch was able to take out Predator with last of his strength and almost die from explosion while Harrigan managed took away his weapon and finish him off.
Actually it doesn't. The leap from Alien 3 to Resurrection is nowhere near to the leap from Predator 2 and Predators. That's what a curve is. Getting from very low to sufficiency is better than getting from low to still mediocre. And Predators did get a higher score than Resurrection anyway. Also, fyi, a score from 60 upwards isn't mediocre. Around the 50 mark, that's where mediocrity stands.
Well fall from Aliens to A3 wasn't as hard as from Predator to Predator 2 and Predators dint reached score point of prometheus either. And rotten tomatoes is best source simply because its middle point of most film critics. That aside either franchise is yet to reach its original strong point so new movies has much to reach to

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
either franchise is yet to reach its original strong point so new movies has much to reach to

And on that, my dear prey friend, we agree.

Sorry, but Predator 2 enemies were street gangs, and most of those guys didn't survived 2 days in a field or circumstances in which Dutch's team acted. So I still can't come up with a terms that barely alive Dutch was able to take out Predator with last of his strength and almost die from explosion while Harrigan managed took away his weapon and finish him off.

I can tell you if you want but I think this thread has been derailed enough, don't ya think? How about taking this to PM like we did in the past in other circumstances, so that we can actually talk about Predator 4 (I know it's not called that anywhere, but you gotta give it a name) here?

Just... if you could do me a favor, and postpone the PM to tomorrow (actually, um... today, since it 1:23 am here LOL... but you get what I mean), since I'm pretty tired now as you can imagine, and I would probably end up writing a wall of text, that would be great. Ya know, Predators need rest and sleep too...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
And on that, my dear prey friend, we agree.

I can tell you if you want but I think this thread has been derailed enough, don't ya think? How about taking this to PM like we did in the past in other circumstances, so that we can actually talk about Predator 4 (I know it's not called that anywhere, but you gotta give it a name) here?

Just... if you could do me a favor, and postpone the PM to tomorrow (actually, um... today, since it 1:23 am here LOL... but you get what I mean), since I'm pretty tired now as you can imagine, and I would probably end up writing a wall of text, that would be great. Ya know, Predators need rest and sleep too...
sure that works for me, also postponing PM is a good idea since I just woke up myself :D

Top Bottom