• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Predator 2018

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Whoa now. That wasn't a reboot attempt at all. The Berserker and the other Super Predators are just a different type. As Roland himself put it, like dogs and wolves.

The "standard" Yautja are still there, they just added another type, in "civil war" with the standard one. It was a welcome addition to the mythos, and that's why I want this film to be a sequel to build upon that basis, and I'm happy that it is indeed a sequel. If it will dig into the Super Predators/standard Predators conflict, I dunno, I hope it will.
Maybe something similar to AVP:R, but instead of a Predalien and other Xenomorphs, it's a Super Predator.
Maybe he was taken prisoner, and caused their ship to crash on earth, and a experienced hunter, similar to Wolf maybe, comes to earth to hunt him down. And the Super Predator, he has no honor, so he's like the Predator equivalent to Jason Voorhees, just killing for fun, and sadistically. He's going after everyone, men, women, children, sick, elderly, ect
.....I'm feeling inspired, I'm just gonna go ahead and write my own version of that

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Franchise stumbles to far behind aliens.

LOL I don't think so. As much as I have my complaints about 2010's Predators, it still is a much better movie than Alien 3 and above all the turd that is Alien: Resurrection. Prometheus, haven't seen it yet, but seems people haven't received it all that well either, even if it was made by Ridley Scott, the director of the first Alien.

As for this new movie, well, Shane Black is on board. He was in the original Predator bunch, knows his stuff. I trust him.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
LOL I don't think so. As much as I have my complaints about 2010's Predators, it still is a much better movie than Alien 3 and above all the turd that is Alien: Resurrection. Prometheus, haven't seen it yet, but seems people haven't received it all that well either, even if it was made by Ridley Scott, the director of the first Alien.

As for this new movie, well, Shane Black is on board. He was in the original Predator bunch, knows his stuff. I trust him.
Sorry, but Predator has 1,5 decent movies and Aliens has at least 2,5 better movies. And honestly comparing Predator 2 and Aliens I rather take bothe A3 and 4 over it every day of the week.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sorry, but Predator has 1,5 decent movies and Aliens has at least 2,5 better movies.

LOL what kind of reasoning is that? It's as flawed as it gets, Predator has only had 3 movies, while Alien has had 5. Can't make a conparison by quantity. Besides, 1,5 and 2,5 good movies? That doesn't even make sense.

Also, I disagree on Predator 2. That too was a lot better than Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Overall, the quality curve for Alien has been consistently descending into the depths of hell after Aliens, while Predator is a much healthier franchise (quality wise, not business wise) in comparison.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
You guys *shakes head* It doesn't matter which one you prefer more, that's not the point of the conversation here. And anyway, what's the point in trying to compare them? They both acknowledge each other's existence and are a part of the same story overall.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
LOL what kind of reasoning is that? It's as flawed as it gets, Predator has only had 3 movies, while Alien has had 5. Can't make a conparison by quantity. Besides, 1,5 and 2,5 good movies? That doesn't even make sense.

Also, I disagree on Predator 2. That too was a lot better than Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Overall, the quality curve for Alien has been consistently descending into the depths of hell after Aliens, while Predator is a much healthier franchise (quality wise, not business wise) in comparison.
It does for me Predator was awesome. Predators was half-way watchable pop corn stuff, and Preadtor 2 was abomination that made Predator as creature in total push-over. Alien and Alien 2 both awesome, Alien 3 had few decent moments and was overall just to much retelling of Alien 1, while Alien 4 was entraining pop-corn fest. As such its 1,5 against 2,5. I don't count Prometheus as Alien movie, and honestly don't even see any sense in its existence.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Preadtor 2 was abomination that made Predator as creature in total push-over.

LMAO. Yeah right, cause having a Predator who takes on groups of armed men all movie long no problem is pushover-ish.

Plus, just like Aliens for Alien, P2 added a lot to the lore and mythos.

while Alien 4 was entraining pop-corn fest.

It was a total mess and arguably screwed with the Alien lore just as much as AVP. That's something.

Therefore, while being healthier from a business standpoint (heck, there are 2 new Alien movies in the way), Alien's quality overall is all over the place as of now, while the same can't be said for Predator, even though Predators was wasted potential for the most part. Still was better and did the franchise justice more than Alien 3 and Resurrection did. Those two harmed the franchise really bad, man.

How can you 'correct' a person's opinion?

Opinions can be wrong you know.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Opinions can be wrong you know.

It's a matter of taste over two very similar sci-fi films that have an interlinking story. How is his opinion any more wrong than yours?

I suggest you both stop turning this thread into an argument about Aliens vs Predators. We already had a movie of that, too.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
How is his opinion any more wrong than yours?

Simple. He said that Predator stumbles behind Alien. Well that is not true considered that Predator sequels have been received better than post-Aliens sequels.

He is right if he is referring to the business standpoint, as Alien does indeed get more attention than Predator and is more mainstream.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Simple. He said that Predator stumbles behind Alien. Well that is not true considered that Predator sequels have been received better than post-Aliens sequels.

He is right if he is referring to the business standpoint, as Alien does indeed get more attention than Predator and is more mainstream.
That is true, on the other hand Foxy, none of the Predator movies have been as well received as Alien or Aliens
The first Predator, widely considered the best, has a 78 on Rotten Tomatoes.
While Alien has a 97 and Aliens has a 98
I prefer Predators over Aliens myself, but as LordOfDarkness said, it's a matter of taste.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
That is true, on the other hand Foxy, none of the Predator movies have been as well received as Alien or Aliens

Yeah that is true. However I was looking at the overall picture, in which the Alien franchise is currently in deep **** compared to Predator. Look at the meh Alien 3 or at the horrible Resurrection, and don't even get me started on Aliens: Colonial Marines, which is canon. One slap in the face to franchise right after the other, doesn't look good right?

I'm hoping Blomkamp's Alien 4 or even maybe Scott's Prometheus 2 will make the franchise justice again like Aliens did originally. It is said Alien 4 will disregard Resurrection after all.

Latest news.

So, seems that The Nice Guys, upcoming Shane Black's movie, just got its MPAA rating. So filming must have finished. Therefore, we might hear more about Predator 4 soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Yeah that is true. However I was looking at the overall picture, in which the Alien franchise is currently in deep **** compared to Predator. Look at the meh Alien 3 or at the horrible Resurrection, and don't even get me started on Aliens: Colonial Marines, which is canon. One slap in the face to franchise right after the other, doesn't look good right?

I'm hoping Blomkamp's Alien 4 or even maybe Scott's Prometheus 2 will make the franchise justice again like Aliens did originally. It is said Alien 4 will disregard Resurrection after all.

Okay, let's do the math

Alien 97, Aliens 98, Alien 3 44, Alien Resurrection 54(I'm really surprised this isn't lower *Shrugs* oh well) add it all together, gets you 293, divide by the 4 movies, on average the Alien series gets a 73%.

Predator 78, Predator 2 25, Predators 64, add that gets you 167, divide by the 3 movies, Predator has an average of 56

So, I'm sorry man, statistically, Alien is still better overall.

Now I'm not trying to put you down with this post or anything.
I only like the first two Alien movies, and love all three Predator movies myself.

You go by critics, New Nightmare is the best Nightmare on Elm Street sequel, I actually like it the least....cept the remake

Just saying, not everyone's gonna have the same view dude

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@AgentRedgrave
You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm saying that the appreciation curve, from both critics and audience, doesn't play in Alien's favor. Alien movies started great, then took a massive beat down and pretty much stayed that way, more or less the same level. Predator also started good (although not as good) then took the beat down (although P2 has been being revaluated for some years now by fans) but then rose up again.

So as of now, it's like Alien is a dude who got beat up to a pulp, didn't get proper medical attention and is risking his neck, while Predator is like a guy who also got beat up but got a better doctor and is now slowly recovering. See what I'm saying?

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just correcting the guy. I don't see how one can say what he said when Alien 3 and Resurrection are widely regarded as such horrendous movies, without even counting the AVPs.
Alien 3 gets more hate than deserved. It's seriously a solid flick. Alien is still my favorite though. Resurrection.....that's a comedy.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Foxtrot94
When those Predator types never existed before the Predators movie

Wait, that's not a reason to consider it a reboot. That movie just established that the Super Preds are part of the mythos just like the standard ones, you just didn't get to see them or be aware of their presence previously, while you do now.

The movie focusing on them is not a valid reason to call it a reboot either.

By those two points' logic, DMC4 is a DMC reboot too, since Nero "never existed" before that game and the game focuses on him more than Dante. XD

Predators isn't set in a different universe. It's in the same universe as Predator and Predator 2, and it's a sequel. It's not a reboot at all.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@Foxtrot94
When those Predator types never existed before the Predators movie & the movie was more about their involvement & not so much the standard Predator types, then i consider it a type of Predator character reboot.
However i didn't mind the addition of them.

The closes thing to the Super Predators would be in the comic Predator: Captive 1998, but still i don't consider the Super Predators as all that official.
It's almost like how SuperSaiyan 4 is seen by Dragonball fans.
But Vampire, the Predator isn't a character, it's a race of characters.
Not every Predator looks, or has to act, exactly the same.
That's like saying Luke's green lightsaber blade was a reboot in Return of the Jedi. And they're still Predators, just a different type.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
For me, what made Predator a great film was the fact that we didn't know anything about them - just like the characters in the film didn't know what they were taking on. It was new and mysterious. And you had this seemingly unstoppable, unnatural force, killing people off one by one that were trained soldiers like they weren't anything to worry about.

You felt that throughout the movie. A great sense of nervous tension. Something that a sequel would find hard to live up to; Predator 2 fell short of that, for me.

As for the 'better' franchise, I don't agree that a person's taste can be wrong. It is what suits them more. Okay, you can say - Movie review wise, Aliens does worse/better than Predator (or vice versa). At the end of the day, it hardly makes any difference which got a better rating. If you enjoy one more than the other regardless of those points, it's up to you and your opinion. Most like to argue that facts are facts, and they precede mere opinions. But the case is, a review is given by a person - just like you or me. And they can't state one movie is better as a solid fact, because it is still only an opinion (That's why I never fully take a movie's rating into consideration before I actually watch the film). Otherwise you might as well say every movie given a low score is crap, and there's no point in giving it a watch because you won't enjoy it anyway.

Top Bottom