• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Fine Line of Change

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yep, even diffusing a bomb or saving the world does not mean you get girls lining up around the block to date you. That's just a teenage fantasy. :lol: If you're an ass or unlikable, no matter what you do, no matter how heroic, girls won't touch with a long pole.

I think it might be something that happened because of Bond films. He always saved the day and got the girl, but those two things weren't connected. Bond saved the day because he was a bitchin' secret agent, and he got the girl because he was a suave muthuhfuggah.

That, and probably some old fairy tales about saving princesses and winning their hand in marriage or some junk.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I think it might be something that happened because of Bond films. He always saved the day and got the girl, but those two things weren't connected. Bond saved the day because he was a bitchin' secret agent, and he got the girl because he was a suave muthuhfuggah.

That, and probably some old fairy tales about saving princesses and winning their hand in marriage or some junk.
Yep, but with Bond, there's something about him. Like you say, he's a kisck ass agent and knows how to treat a lady. Plus being played by Daniel Craig....:blush:

I guess it is ingrained in society, that sort of image of hero wins the girl. Like you say, with saving a princess....also Disney films, they're full of that. So kids learn at an early age that girls look for Prince Charming and men must put themselves in danger to stand a chance of getting a girl. It's kinda distrubing how people take this sot of thing seriously and how they think it happens in real life. That's how you end up with broken hearts and upset for both sides.

Just realised, I'm going off topic.:blush:

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I always assume they did DmC to show it off to Westerns so that they could play the originals and if fans asked, there'd be a DmC that's close to the originals in terms of gameplay and cinematic cutscenes.

DMC already had a estabilished western fanbase, nearly 4 mil (NPD) copies of DMC4 are sold total and roughly 400,000 for the PS3 version in Japan until December, 2010 (Famitsu, issue 1020). I would say that in Japan the game sold not more than 1 mil, so it could had sold 3 mil copies in the West. I and most people on this forum as well on PhantomBabies would not ask for a DmC, i think that the majority of the fans would ask for a DMC game on the DMC world if they were given the voice to do so.

But that will take a lot of resource and time to do. Plus you have to think of this from a sales perspective. There will be those die hard fans who'll get it, but there's the wider majority who will look past it and won't have time for it. Plus that'd be confusing with all these Devil May Cry's around. What would we call the remakes? DMC1.0, DMC2.0?

Yes, but what's the deal? It's the same thing as rebooting one IP, you had to work all the story again until the end. A remake of DMC1 would sell well and remember that we live on an era that even teenagers feel nostalgia with games, most people love this game and seeing a new and revitalized version would be good, yourself say that a part from DmC, the original DMC is your favorite on the franchise. I've seen a couple of people on this forum saying that the original was the best for them too. What? Won't have time? If they don't have time to play a game, it applies to all other games as well, no big deal with it. The title isn't a problem, the first DMC could be renamed with any name related to the plot: Devil May Cry: Dante's Retribution for example, anything like this could fit

If they really wanted the GoW audience, they'd have sex, a lot more blood and gore, and an even angrier protagonist.

SF is still a float, because it has a larger fanbase then DMC. Same as RE. DMC's fanbase is pretty small compared to the many millions of SF and RE. Though some people complained about SF and RE, the fanbase was too big and full of lovers for them to change anything. Meanwhile a few complained about DMC4, and because it's a small fanbase, it's a pretty big stain on the already small table.

They have this protagonist who have lots of casual sex, and shows him in the intro of the game with some hookers, it's a softened concept they took from GoW, the slow-motions after some kills too, kill cameras, shocking scenes (i.e. abortion made with a rifle), i think they doesn't exagerated too much because it would go too far from the roots of the franchise.

Their complains was not what made Capcom choose to go into this direction. Or do you think that Capcom will hear the majority of the fans and return DMC to it's roots? The same way some people misses Megaman but Capcom doesn't seem to care as they sit in high profit franchises like RE and SF to make their living.

Why do you say it was good to have gameplay for casual players, when DmC tried to appeal to casual players as well to get them to play into the series?

As i've explained in the exact same post you quoted: you can play both a more casual and a hardcore character in this game, they not dumbed down the game itself to make it more appealing. They took a more safer move and made a casual character while still sustaining (and improving) an existent depth character, and took concepts from other games to adapt to the new character too to make him more appealing to the casual consumer (like Busters).

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Wow the hooker part. Cant believe i didnt notice it from God of War. Then again i am not a gow fan=i dont play gow.
I played the third one. There was even some sort of sex mini game. It was optional though and you did not see anything, just heard noises....your mind kinda fills in the blanks:blush:

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Yep, but with Bond, there's something about him. Like you say, he's a kisck ass agent and knows how to treat a lady. Plus being played by Daniel Craig....:blush:

I guess it is ingrained in society, that sort of image of hero wins the girl. Like you say, with saving a princess....also Disney films, they're full of that. So kids learn at an early age that girls look for Prince Charming and men must put themselves in danger to stand a chance of getting a girl. It's kinda distrubing how people take this sot of thing seriously and how they think it happens in real life. That's how you end up with broken hearts and upset for both sides.

Just realised, I'm going off topic.:blush:
That idea of hero-getting-the-girl is really starting to pi$$ me off. Not only because it gives a distorted image of masculinity, but also because it gives a distorted image of women too. I mean, we are not always the princess in the tower, waiting to be saved. There are a lot of kick-ass girls who don't need a hero to save them, as well as a lot males who need to be saved, and this does not make them less of a woman or a man. But that is not the models we are shown, and this can be really bugging.
Btw, maybe we could create a specfic thread for this topic, which is really interesting on its own?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I played the third one. There was even some sort of sex mini game. It was optional though and you did not see anything, just heard noises....your mind kinda fills in the blanks:blush:

Yeah, God of War had the Vase Tipping minigame, God of War II had the Water Fountain Pressure minigame, and God of War III had the...uhm...Arouse Aphrodite's Servants...minigame...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
"Nero is more Dante-like than Donte" (What).

And that's the problem. Nero's almost a carbon copy of Dante. At least DmC Dante doesn't dress in flashy clothes and say "Let's rock baby".

Nero has his own name, core weapons and backstory. Personality-wise, both aren't too far of Young!Dante.

He may have all that, but he's pretty much a sponge off of Dante right down to the pure white hair and the long coat.

Yeah >_<

Since we a) don't see them engage in any acts that could be considered romantic, and b) Ninja Theory already told us explicitly that Kat was not a romantic interest, the only conclusion would really be that they ain't in love.

Plus she's like sixteen or seventeen and doing it with a nineteen year old seems a bit too much.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

That's sorta common when you've got a dude holding someone's head. However, I know what you're talking about.

This image from DmC
Flashbacks_CA_10_DmC.png

...is actually inspired by this painting...
300px-Caravaggio_-_David_con_la_testa_di_Golia.jpg

...which was done by Caravaggio, who DmC's art director Talexi has said he was inspired by :p

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
He may have all that, but he's pretty much a sponge off of Dante right down to the pure white hair and the long coat.
Nero was supposed to be a more fiesty and younger Dante. Like you say, right now to hair and cothes. But the clothes were changed up and had blue and red in the colour scheme. Plus they gave Nero a more emotional side.

Plus she's like sixteen or seventeen and doing it with a nineteen year old seems a bit too much.
If you mean DmC Dante, he's in his early 20s...if you mean Nero, he's late teens and Kyrie is older.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
They have this protagonist who have lots of casual sex, and shows him in the intro of the game with some hookers, it's a softened concept they took from GoW, the slow-motions after some kills too, kill cameras, shocking scenes (i.e. abortion made with a rifle), i think they doesn't exagerated too much because it would go too far from the roots of the franchise.

Their complains was not what made Capcom choose to go into this direction. Or do you think that Capcom will hear the majority of the fans and return DMC to it's roots? The same way some people misses Megaman but Capcom doesn't seem to care as they sit in high profit franchises like RE and SF to make their living.

So a dude has sex and now he's Kratos? What kind of logic is that? I bet with that one concept art he got lucky that night, and with the intro he once again got lucky. Guys can get lucky like that, and I bet that was his only time doing it with that many girls.

I think there is a kratos harem picture in game or concept art similar to DmC.

also what does this remind u of?
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2010/01/gow3-helios-685x385.jpg

actually the art came from this
2_%20Caravaggio_David%20with%20Goliath%20head(1).jpeg

IncarnatedDemon

I stand corrected. THOUGH I MUST SAY your definitions of inspiration is different than mine. The pic with Dante is a copyish.
If i was inspired by the painting id create something that was original butgave same vibe or message as the painting.

For example Dante having pierce a relatively small demon, and holding sword with demon boduy up with both hands.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I stand corrected. THOUGH I MUST SAY your definitions of inspiration is different than mine. The pic with Dante is a copyish.
If i was inspired by the painting id create something that was original butgave same vibe or message as the painting.

For example Dante having pierce a relatively small demon, and holding sword with demon boduy up with both hands.
DmC isn't the only game to do that sort of thing...and videogames are not the only medium to be inspired by classic works of art or fiction. You could say DMC copied Dante's inferno considering the themes, the name of the characters and the journey into hell....

Top Bottom