• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sonic Unleashed FTW!

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
This game looks sick! I was deciding between getting CoD WaW, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Disgaea 3, and Resistance 2 but **** that! IM GETTIN' SONIC UNLEASHED (4 da PS3 of course.....damn delays).

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
sonic is amazing !!!! ( i havent played the new games but i love the dreamcast ones )

Damien

Anti - Little D
Premium
Koemi;144583 said:
being a long time sonic fans, i gotta say i am getting it - love SA1 and SA2.

sa1 and sa2 are amazing , the best in the world :lol:

Esura

See, I knew Sonic fans were still alive this day and age! :)

Sonic Unleashed is Sonic's attempt to regain its respect back in the gaming world (lets face it, Sonic Heroes, Shadow, and Sonic 06 sucked ass and my Sonic fandom kinda went down the toilet until now) and I feel Sonic Team succeeded. Now SEGA needs to stop adding these gimmicks such as Werehogs (Unleashed), guns and cars (Shadow) and team based shnit (Sonic Heroes) in Sonic games though.

^ yea i totally agree esura sonic was dissapointing in the last time it was simply horrible
oh and u made a good choice by getting it for ps3 cos ps3 is the best:cool:

Esura

Black Angel;144608 said:
I liked sonic heroes. It was fun.:lol:

And this "Where hog" thing looks stupid.

Sonic Heroes was full of glitches and bugs and the framerate was off alot. It also had clipping and texture problems. The controls were clunky and slightly unresponsive as well. And I found the whole team thing stupid. What made you like this?

Keaton

Premium
Full Review, as promised ;)

source said:
http://www.gametagg.com/ps3/sonic-unleashed-staff-review/
Images at source :D

In his seventeen years as a gaming icon Sonic has given us his fair share of letdowns, most recently Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360, a game that lead the consoles emergence into the next generation market – a spectacular failure for the blue-streak. In fact, going all the way back to 'Sonic Adventure' on the Dreamcast, Sonic has yet to deliver a solid stream of fantastic titles since his domination of the 16 bit era, Super Sonic has been more of a Super-Flop.

Don't get me wrong, Sega have managed to squeeze some gold out of the prickly-mascot, Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush 1 and 2, Sonic Adventure/ 2 Battle and Sonic and the Secret Rings, all fantastic titles for any gamer, and even better ones for a Sonic junkie.

I had just about given up hope on the speedy rodent, I felt an even greater sense of dread when Sega announced the introduction of the 'Warehog' element, after all Sonics Speed has been his saving grace (especially in the above mentioned games), removing the lightning speed from a game in order to glue together a (what seemed to be) mediocre brawling element appeared to be a desperate last attempt by Sega to resurrect the dying series, oh how I sighed.

But, I couldn't have been further from the truth.

Sonic Unleashed is one of the most exhilarating Sonic games to date!

The story begins as our hero strikes at Doctor Eggmans' Robot Armada, to stop yet another Earth destroying attempt. Using his Super Speed he launches himself into the army of robots that wait before him, a blue blur and an explosion of nuts and bolts that shower the screen with the style-oozing graphics that we have been waiting for. It's not long before Eggman takes it upon himself to destroy the blue pest! Sonic unleashes his Super-Sonic form and forces his nemesis into a retreat, where a trap most devious is sprung!

The evil Doctor uses Sonics own powers against him, draining the energy of the Chaos Emeralds and transforming Sonic the Hedgehog into a new Monster: Sonic the Warehog! Naturally, being an EVIL scientist, this process has some negative effects on the World too, splitting the planet into a giant jigsaw in an attempt to awaken a dark and ancient force (Dark Gaia).

After Sonic regains consciousness he is awoken by a small, flying mouse whom has lost his memory (due to Sonic's ill-timed landing), this young and hungry rodent joins our blue hero's quest to restore the World and the Emeralds in hope that his own memory will be unlocked in the process. The story isn’t anything too new but it is certainly an enthralling one.

The gameplay is split into two.
The first and most obvious is Sonic's fast paced platforming glory. With speed that makes twenty-five seconds seem like an eternity, Sonics' levels are not only fast but gorgeous too. The environments that you travel through (particularly the urban Spagonia) are breathtaking, despite moving along at Super Sonic speed through the patented loops, rails, springs and jumps, the game gives you glimpses of a vast world around you as you soar through the air after one of many death-defying jumps (one of those 'WOW' moments I assure you).

Hedgehog levels are all about time, which is the only factor to them. Spending precious seconds trouncing pesky enemies or nabbing that last collectible only cripples your overall score, but despite this pressure that has been continued through all of Sonics games you never feel like it is impossible. Undoubtedly I have a few ‘E’ ranks where I was trying to get that medal or video, but it’s an assured feeling that when you retry the level that your score will be substantially better: which makes it far easier to go back to.

Although one thing that is consistent with almost any level you play through with the Hedgehog, is his sheer absence of grip when he isn’t travelling in a straight line. Navigating corners requires precise timing and platforms often have you thinking that you’re leaping onto ice rather than granite! Although this causes multiple slip ups, loss of lives’ and damage it’s little more than a minor annoyance within the levels, simply forcing you as a player to react quicker to Sonics’ super speed, which isn’t really a bad thing if you’re up to the challenge.

Sonic’s levels are incredibly similar in style to those in Sonic Rush (Nintendo DS), where the 2-D style platforming and speed really come into their own, Sonic Unleashed is also as fluid. At different points within a level the game will switch effortlessly and painlessly from 3-D to 2-D, allowing a maximum speed assault on the level, leaping across platforms and slamming into enemies as it should be done. This change is genius on Sega’s part, allowing Sonic to regain his glory as a platforming speed-demon and making the game as exciting and as it can be without buggy cameras and controls to hinder you!

The Warehog levels are a complete opposite of the Hedgehogs high-speed ones. As the giant brute you are ranked purely on how much damage you cause – which is just as much fun as zipping through at top speed if not more so at times. The Warehog has a unique level style, not just mindless brawling, but the Warehog’s adventures have a very strong familiarity with the Prince of Persia series style: jumping pole to pole, across narrow ledges and across falling platforms while at the same time keeping hordes of enemies at bay.

The Warehog brawling element is a nice break from Sonics’ adventures and makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something, the attacks are simple and while Guarding is placed conveniently on the left bumper (Xbox 360) it’s a rare occasion that you use it.

Aside from utilizing combos to bash, throw and crush your enemies, the Warehog style of brawling reminds me a lot of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, situation specific-random button prompts. However, this is where the similarity ends; the Sonic Unleashed version of this is inevitably broken where Force Unleashed’s worked and causes you no end of frustration from time to time. Whenever you deal enough punishment to ‘stun’ an enemy a small icon hovers over their head informing you that you can now initiate a Critical Finish, a short sequence of specific button presses to instantly kill the foe. BUT, the biggest flaw is that the game often ignores a correct press of the button which combined with the brief execution time results in many failed attempts…oh and did I mention that failing this will not only deal damage to the Warehog, but restore most of the enemy’s health also? No? Well, it does and it sucks!

The game, despite operating on some very basic ideas (super fast levels for hedgehog and brawling madness for the warehog) there is a nice little addition that was carried over from Sonic and the Secret Rings, the RPG element of levelling. As you take down an enemy (big or small) yellow crystals are left behind, gathering these up after a confrontation fills up your experience bar, pretty simple. The only drawback is that after only a few upgrades on the speedy one, you’ll be spending all your points on the Warehog, which is pretty fair since in a single level you gather enough exp to fill 15 bars, whereas the Speedy Hedgehog will be lucky to fill one, which makes the Warehog far more rewarding overall.

The camera...wait for it...actually works!
Not as intrusive as it once was and switching between the 2-D and 3-D sections is an experience that just gels together, on Sonics speedy levels the camera keeps up with the action and never obscures your route, whereas when your tearing chunks out of demons as the Warehog the camera knows just how much distance to give you and is easily adjusted too. The game plays almost like a game on-rails as far as the camera is concerned (alike Secret Rings), and the camera seemingly knows where you are going to be before you do – it is flawless, which for an ingame camera on a Sonic Game, isn’t a comment given out often.

Bosses in the game come few and far between and sadly those that you do encounter are often a clone of the one before, especially for a Hedgehog. Sonics’ bosses were originally about running round in circles for the right time to attack, and this game is no different, but there just isn’t as much freedom with the action, Sonic is continually forced forward as the Boss attacks him from different sides. Success comes when you hit him three times with your Rush, but despite this being a full speed pursuit you rarely feel the adrenaline rush through you as you strategically try and land a blow. The Warehog’s bosses are regrettably similar, although more interesting than the Hedgehogs linear experience. Like a traditional platformer, as the Warehog you need to pummel the enemy into revealing their weak spot (usually by throwing an object at them) and thus entering the button-mashing-sequence once more.

The bosses you would expect to be as grande as the game itself fall short, but with this game the enjoyment doesn’t come from the finale, it comes from the journey, every speedy leap, every critical finish and every ring. Nuff said.

This game exceed all my expectations for a next gen Sonic, allowing the high speed that all fans and gamers wanted from the series, although it isn’t a perfect title it is a great platformer with many breathtaking and enjoyable moments throughout, well worth picking up.

Keaton

Premium
Sonic Unleashed – At a Glance

Gameplay
8.1 Not perfect, but not as flawed as it used to be

Controls
9.2 No problems, no bugs, the only issues that arise are with the onscreen prompts that give you next to no time to input a command – but this is easily ignored in the grand scheme

Story
9.0 Not particually original, but it works well within the series

Music
8.9 Lack of vocal tracks is disapointing, but apart from that it is flawless

Camera
8.0 Unintrusive and fluid, a first for a 3-D Sonic-style game

Overall
8.6 A great game and a must buy not only for any Sonic fan but also for any one who has access to it, its a great platformer with breathtaking graphics and gameplay like no other. Not perfect, but this has raised the bar for Sega significantly.

Esura

Thank you Keat Keat!
See, I didnt make this shnit about this game for no reason see.

Esura

YEA! SONIC FANS UNITTTTTEE!!

BUT! Im getting a Headset and CoD WaW ( or Resistance 2 ) first though.

Esura

^ Its out on PS2, Wii, and 360 already tho. It was only the PS3 version delayed.

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
I've been hearing some really good things about Sonic Unleashed - reckon I might have to pick up a copy! :D

Top Bottom