• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
- Dunno what to tell you there, because those aren't me stating an opinion :x

- And the possibility of him saying anything else doesn't necessarily make what he did say uninteresting. Granted, why is it even supposed to be interesting in the first place? That seems an awful lot like holding it up against an expectation it shouldn't need to fulfill.

- And that's odd because you make it sound like there's a certain allotment the game was allowed for swearing. Like I said before, f#ck is a very malleable word, it can be used in a lot of ways, even as a variable :p

- The appeal isn't really in the word itself when you think about it. It's an old word, it's the impact that it has, y'know? Not even as some sort of "in your face" way, just simply it conveys emotion rather well, as does a lot of swearing.

- Dante's "conversation" with Poison helped emphasize the succubus' total vugarity, Dante simply responded in kind. I found it entertaining, because it was just so juvenile for Poison to do, considering she had just mentioned how old she was, as if it was some great thing. Also that she cared enough about her vanity to be insulted by Dante's remark of her looking way older.

- And therein lies what I was talking about. For whatever reason, it just ends up seeming like all that matters is criticism, even if someone isn't some dyed in the wool dissenter. In essence, why do we constantly have to hear the bad? What about the good?

- There's a few other times in the game when he uses it to emphasize his anger or frustration. He uses it for disrespect more than anything. "Do you f#cking demons even feel pain?" and "another f#cking demon". You're sort of attributing your own ideal of how the word should be used for though, hence why you feel that way about the back and forth with Poison. But remember, Poison said it first because Dante said she looked really damn old, and then Dante just said it back, in a "no f#ck you," aaaaand then Poison vomits.

- Constantly hassled by demons since childhood, he didn't know who or what he was, living on the fringe unable to get close to people? He absolutely HATES demons, and they're just goddamn everywhere! Wouldn't you be rather ****ed off? He hides and smothers that anger underneath his hedonistic lifestyle, he understood that one day he would finally give up the ghost to a bunch of demons, so he might as well live it up while he can. He says he doesn't give a sh!t because he didn't, he had no reason to care about anyone but himself because it wouldn't get him anything, and if he wasn't going to be around for very long, then what was the point in getting involved. Vergil was only able to get him in because he promised answers to all those questions he ignored with booze and sex.

- Oh man I remember that spider, the XATM-095! I got really good at evading that thing in the demo before the game even came out, haha.

I don't find Limbo and Malice to be entirely innovative either, but I love it because it allowed the normal environment like streets and buildings to become incredibly abstract to create way more stimulating levels, and some funny hazards.
- Oh, I thought you meant that 'it was all subjective'. I didn't mean it was your opinion, I thought you meant it was others' opinions, and that there were no facts involved. Man, I suck at explaining :p

- Because otherwise his whole conversation with Poison is pretty much pointless. In previous Devil May Cry games, Dante would demoralize his enemies in the time before he fought them. He would mock them by acting like they were weaker than him or had some other bad qualities. It was like some kind of theater show he created so he could catch his enemies off guard.
IIRC, new Dante calls Poison ugly, but that's obvious. It shouldn't even need saying. I don't recall Dante saying anything overly entertaining in his conversation with Poison. And him saying 'f*ck you' to her/it still doesn't make much sense to me. He doesn't care about how an evil demon like Poison feels about him in the first place, so why would he feel like his feelings were hurt? I know Dante was hunted by demons all his life, but he seemed accustomed to it. He really didn't seem angry when talking to Poison.

- Yeah, but it didn't apply very well to the situation. I suppose writing 'f*ck you' on a guest list makes sense, but that's not the point. It would've been more interesting if he wrote his name on it in huge letters, or maybe if he bashed the list like 500 times with the Arbiter. That would've been sort of funny as well as apt, while what happened in DmC was not funny - it was only apt. Aside from that, it was just repetitious, which I didn't like.

- True, but that's my point. To me, it had no impact whatsoever. Him writing it on a guest list and saying it to Poison didn't make me go ''wow, that was great!''. I just went *snore*, basically :p

- Also true, but Poison's vulgarity was already explored enough in the actual gameplay. IIRC, she kept cursing throughout the entire fight, so there was no point in giving it more emphasis before the actual battle. But yeah, I see how that second point could be funny.

- That tends to be the thing we're all focused on. When I go to the DMC parts of the forum, I often see people making passive-aggressive comments about DMC's negative aspects, and then they abruptly leave. Especially with DMC4. They never really go into the positives, unless the thread title asks about it. That's similar to what you described about Innsmouth. I guess that's just human nature - bad parts catch your eye more than the things that already work well, you know? For example, I never really hear people talk about AC's gameplay basics, even though they might be great. I guess we usually take it for granted.

- Well, in your examples, he never specifically addresses one certain demon, and so it doesn't really become personal. But when Dante says 'f*ck you' to a specific demon... well, it seems illogical to get personal with a demon he doesn't care about in any way. It also made no impact on me. The third 'f*ck you' in the game actually had impact, because I kind of felt bad for that stripper for being ignored and everything. With Poison and that guest list, it really had no impact on me at all. I can understand if it had an impact on Poison, but for me as a viewer... nothing. It's one thing to mock a demon for sport, but it's another to start a fight with them. That's so weird. I guess it boils down to your own opinion on it.

- I know, but is that a great reason to insult a random demon he is going to kill anyway? Or is it his way of torturing them or something? I can understand that, but I still think 'f*ck you' is kind of tame... and lame.
I've got to disagree about the ''don't give a sh*t''. He always says that whenever people try to reach out to him. It's a very easy way to tell that he *does* give a sh*t. After all, if he didn't give a sh*t, he wouldn't literally need to say that. I'm sure you can find this stuff in psychology textbooks as well.

- Heheh, that thing really creeped me out when I first played FF8. But that was probably mainly due to the soundtrack and camera work. It was really claustrophobic and tense. Still find FF8 to be possibly the best FF of them all :)

- Yeah, I can get behind that idea.

I see where you're coming from, but I still find the writing kind of awkward sometimes. Thanks for the debate anyway - it's been a while since I wrote such essays :p

Last edited:

dreadnought_dante

And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow
neither of them :banghead:
i meant Genesis from final fantasy 7 crisis core. who always read a poem named LOVELESS in that game. and the prologue of that poem is:

"when the war of the beasts brings about the worlds end
the goddess descends from the sky
wings of light and dark spread afar
SHE GUIDES US TO BLISS
HER GIFT EVERLASTING
"

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
neither of them :banghead:
i meant Genesis from final fantasy 7 crisis core. who always read a poem named LOVELESS in that game. and the prologue of that poem is:

"when the war of the beasts brings about the worlds end
the goddess descends from the sky
wings of light and dark spread afar
SHE GUIDES US TO BLISS
HER GIFT EVERLASTING
"

Um...whoops? ^^; My bad.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
I was going to post a quote for Loveless, but didn't know which one to use.

Anyways it's silly to nitpick on this one CS. I enjoyed, but not the F you part. Lol it felt kind meh compared to the rest of it. Oh well.

LoneRangerNinjutsu

The Man Without Fear!
I think the cussing caught most people off guard simply because it's not something you'd expect from Dante of all people. Sure, the occasional "damn" might slip in, but never anything incredibly crude. We associate Dante with cheesy, stupid one-liners. We see him as the kind of guy who thinks he's far cleverer than he actually is, and to some, it's a bit endearing. Just my perspective.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
This is getting intense.

WHAT HAVE I CREATED?
DAMN IT, FRANKENSTIEN! YOU CREATED A MONSTER!!!

Now back on topic; the scene was just another unfortunate example of pre-release concern/post-release critique that was dragged out and waved like a flag by the vocal minority.

I didn’t mind the scene (but I can’t fault anyone for disliking it either) nor the concept of Dante using “****”. If anything, the onetime my #2EDGY4ME meter actually did go off was his “I got you mother-****er” line in Mission 12; that was pretty cringe-worthy IMO. I’m very surprised that line garnered little to no attention, specifically with the vocal minority.

When it comes to F-Bombs, I prefer the precision strike variety over the cluster bomb types. I would have preferred if they trimmed the use to the bare essentials (Which to me would have been Kat’s Capture and Dante’s reaction during “The Trade”), so that they’d have a bit more impact in its use. Not to say Dante’s overly uses it; feel free to check out House of the Dead: Overkill for an actual example of cluster F-Bombing.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
DAMN IT, FRANKENSTIEN! YOU CREATED A MONSTER!!!

Now back on topic; the scene was just another unfortunate example of pre-release concern/post-release critique that was dragged out and waved like a flag by the vocal minority.

I didn’t mind the scene (but I can’t fault anyone for disliking it either) nor the concept of Dante using “****”. If anything, the onetime my #2EDGY4ME meter actually did go off was his “I got you mother-****er” line in Mission 12; that was pretty cringe-worthy IMO. I’m very surprised that line garnered little to no attention, specifically with the vocal minority.

When it comes to F-Bombs, I prefer the precision strike variety over the cluster bomb types. I would have preferred if they trimmed the use to the bare essentials (Which to me would have been Kat’s Capture and Dante’s reaction during “The Trade”), so that they’d have a bit more impact in its use. Not to say Dante’s overly uses it; feel free to check out House of the Dead: Overkill for an actual example of cluster F-Bombing.

How ironic that a game called House of the Dead: OVERKILL has too many swears.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
to describe the reboot, even though it was only said twice by Dante?
realistic answer: Because first impressions are the longest lasting.

Classic dante always avoided more serious swearing (the worst he's ever said is "damn") and most of his jabs at bosses are reductive teasing. If a 20 foot dog demon smashes a hole in the ceiling, he makes fun of their inability to find and use a door. If a giant frog tries to eat him, he makes a huge show of gagging on the frog breath from his huge mouth. "Putrid blood of sparda"? Dante sighs and promises to invest in some deodorant.

So coming from this pg-13 goofball who has a history of never actually cursing, this clip comes out as one of the first ever gameplay videos for the new game, on top of being the first playable section of the game as an expo demo. We've gone from never swearing ever, to an entire exchange consisting entirely of F-bombs and vomit.

edit - yeah, totally late to the party. Whatever, house of the dead is pretty cool, but typing of the dead is where it's at

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Slight hyperbole, given that it was three seconds out of a...what...? Two minute at most scene with three total f#cks; not, in fact, "an entire exchange consisting entirely of F-bombs". There was a lot of vomit though.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Classic dante always avoided more serious swearing (the worst he's ever said is "damn")
So coming from this pg-13 goofball who has a history of never actually cursing
We've gone from never swearing ever, to an entire exchange consisting entirely of F-bombs and vomit.
never swearing ever
never swearing ever
never swearing ever

In the DMC1 novel, Dante uses foul language such as "****" and "**** you," so the use of crude language is not a novelty to the series, just to the video games.
---devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Dante

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
We've gone from never swearing ever, to an entire exchange consisting entirely of F-bombs and vomit.
never swearing ever
never swearing ever
never swearing ever

In the DMC1 novel, Dante uses foul language such as "****" and "**** you," so the use of crude language is not a novelty to the series, just to the video games.
---devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Dante
I actually hadn't seen the anime, so okay there's that.

Point still stands though, our first impression of new dante was three F-bombs in a row and copious vomiting in place of the style of banter most of us had come to know and love. That is why new dante is forever associated with the "**** you" catchphrase.

Question answered. Anything else?

Top Bottom