• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
you realize you're accidentally, almost agreeing with me here? Better change your mind, after all your entire opinion for the last few days has been based entirely on if I said it or not

@WolfOD64

I told you not to bother. They'll just dismiss it out of hand.
because even conceding that point, the core of my post still stands. First impressions are the longest lasting -- it was in my very first sentence posting here. Do you disagree with that?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I actually hadn't seen the anime, so okay there's that.

Point still stands though, our first impression of new dante was three F-bombs in a row and copious vomiting in place of the style of banter most of us had come to know and love. That is why new dante is forever associated with the "**** you" catchphrase.

Question answered. Anything else?

Two of those sparse three f#cks weren't even uttered by Dante. And his was a mocking response to what Poison said.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
To be fair, I don't think Kam is necessarily saying this is how he feels--I think he's just answering the question, generally.

I could be wrong, but I figure if I'm right, that would be one less thing being taken out of context...and with the amount of in-fighting going on lately, it would be nice if something didn't get blown out of proportion for once.

Not saying anyone's doing that here, but... ^^;

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I actually hadn't seen the anime, so okay there's that.

Point still stands though, our first impression of new dante was three F-bombs in a row and copious vomiting in place of the style of banter most of us had come to know and love. That is why new dante is forever associated with the "**** you" catchphrase.

Question answered. Anything else?
I thought the first impression was "NO WHITE HAIR?!"

Kam

I thought the first impression was "NO WHITE HAIR?!"
har har :p
but in all seriousness I actually kinda thought that was cool. It's never said that dante always had white hair and that red coat, so to me it was a chance to tell the story of how he came by those things, and in a way that's what happened. If anyone legitimately didn't like the character or the game just because of the hair color, they are dumb, and missing out

Two of those sparse three f#cks weren't even uttered by Dante. And his was a mocking response to what Poison said.
well then the **** you tagline is obviously just mocking dante's mockery. He's known for that quote because of that scene; first impressions aren't some sort of logical thing that you can explain to people until they agree to forget and remember something else instead. This was the first scene of him in action that I ever saw, and it's going to stick.

Hell, even DMC3, my first impression of dante was him performing rain storm. I hadn't seen the series before and it was this totally outlandish thing and it stuck in my mind. You could very logically and patiently explain that there were more important things in that trailer I could have latched onto, and I might even agree with you, but the impression will stay.

TL;DR - first impressions are more powerful than a request to think about a scene from a different perspective and try to remember something else

Kam

Dear God, you really don't follow what I'm trying to get at. I won't bother spelling it out for you. It's not worth the effort. Ignored.
really? You've been following me around for 2 days snarking at absolutely everything I say, but this is the thing that's too much for you? I mean, you've had no problems explaining my own motives to me, why is explaining yours suddenly such a leap?

Oh I get it. You can't explain your immature behavior, so now you're running when confronted to do so. It's okay, I look forward to you constantly bashing on my name every time anyone mentions me. I've never had someone so obsessed over me before, and it's actually kinda flattering.

See you around!
(though obviously you won't see me)

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
@WolfOD64

I told you not to bother. They'll just dismiss it out of hand.
I did it mostly out of amusement more than anything else. I'm well aware that offering counter-arguments to people who've already made up their minds is a pointless endeavor...I just find it hilarious how people that claim to be "fans", only to end up slipping over obvious factors and canon elements of the franchise they claim to know so much about.

As for this whole "first impressions" matter...

If I used that logic when watching a single cutscene in ANY of the original games, I probably would've had an even worse first impression of the series than I would've with DmC's notorious ****athon scene.

As a bystander, I probably would've fled at some of the dialogue in DMC3...I've at least met human beings who talk the way the New Dante does. I have never in my life heard ANYONE in reality or fiction talk with the same exaggerated, horrendously overdone swagger that Dante adopts for most of the original series, much less the shameless tripe passing off as dialogue spewing from his mouth.

Fortunately, my first impression of DMC was my friend fighting Griffon on the haunted ship from DMC1...a much more favorable demonstration of what really matters concerning
Devil May Cry as a series: the gameplay. And that's the first impression that smart people used when going into DmC. A better example of a bad first impression concerning DmC was the gameplay in the demo, how it was easier compared to the old games, and locked at a criminally-restrictive 30 fps. THESE are elements that on first impression should deter fans of the series, because they're legitimate complaints and a much more accurate representation of the final product.

You judge a game by how it plays, not by the first cutscene you see. Any fan of the series who dismissed the demo because of the latter is too shallow to consider themselves a gamer. To me, associating DmC with the swearing is just as immature and stupid as associating it as "the game with the Dante with black hair."

Kam

I did it mostly out of amusement more than anything else. I'm well aware that offering counter-arguments to people who've already made up their minds is a pointless endeavor...I just find it hilarious how people that claim to be "fans", only to end up slipping over obvious factors and canon elements of the franchise they claim to know so much about.

As for this whole "first impressions" matter...

If I used that logic when watching a single cutscene in ANY of the original games, I probably would've had an even worse first impression of the series than I would've with DmC's notorious ****athon scene.

As a bystander, I probably would've fled at some of the dialogue in DMC3...I've at least met human beings who talk the way the New Dante does. I have never in my life heard ANYONE in reality or fiction talk with the same exaggerated, horrendously overdone swagger that Dante adopts for most of the original series, much less the shameless tripe passing off as dialogue spewing from his mouth.

Fortunately, my first impression of DMC was my friend fighting Griffon on the haunted ship from DMC1...a much more favorable demonstration of what really matters concerning
Devil May Cry as a series: the gameplay. And that's the first impression that smart people used when going into DmC. A better example of a bad first impression concerning DmC was the gameplay in the demo, how it was easier compared to the old games, and locked at a criminally-restrictive 30 fps. THESE are elements that on first impression should deter fans of the series, because they're legitimate complaints and a much more accurate representation of the final product.

You judge a game by how it plays, not by the first cutscene you see. Any fan of the series who dismissed the demo because of the latter is too shallow to consider themselves a gamer. To me, associating DmC with the swearing is just as immature and stupid as associating it as "the game with the Dante with black hair."
Yes, the elements of the demo would have been a more valid first impression to have, if they were the first thing fans experienced. But be real, few people got to sit and play the DmC demo as their first experience of the series, for most of us we got the trailer.

The trailer was first, so the trailer was the first impression. It doesn't have to be logical, or fair, or flattering, it just had to be first. It really is that simple. I hope this has answered your question, and if you just can't deal with the realities of the answer, you need to get over it, because complaining to me that it wasn't a reasonable decision is not going to change what happened in the past

Edit - but if you disagree with my memory of these events, what do you remember happening instead that led to this?

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I say it once again. They chose "F*** you" conversation as first impression video material. I seriously don't know what people expected after that and why so many can't deal with fact that this video was made first impression, which is, as pointed by @Kam left longest impression on the viewers. So once again. Poorly chosen promotional material.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Yes, the elements of the demo would have been a more valid first impression to have, if they were the first thing fans experienced. But be real, few people got to sit and play the DmC demo as their first experience of the series, for most of us we got the trailer.

The trailer was first, so the trailer was the first impression. It doesn't have to be logical, or fair, or flattering, it just had to be first. It really is that simple. I hope this has answered your question, and if you just can't deal with the realities of the answer, you need to get over it, because complaining to me that it wasn't a reasonable decision is not going to change what happened in the past

Edit - but if you disagree with my memory of these events, what do you remember happening instead that led to this?
If memory serves me well, the "first things fans experienced" was the TGS 2010 reveal trailer. Then, if I'm correct, the first trailer after that one didn't even have dialogue in it, much less the "**** you" scene. It was just gameplay footage:
I'd agree with you if the Poison banter was the first thing fans saw of the game, but in actuality, it wasn't.

And even if I'm incorrect about the order in which the trailers were revealed, my point still very much stands. In the long run, I associate the DMC games (all of them) with the style of the gameplay. You yourself said that your first impression with DMC3 was one of Dante's moves...that should be the priority and the association with the series, not whatever comes out of the protagonist's mouth. If the latter was the case, then it'd be fairly accurate to associate the previous games with cheesy dialogue and childish puns.

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
I think it depends on what people consider curse words. I don't think in the video games he ever said f*ck you. But he probably said things like d*mn, or sh*t, or b*tch.

Kam

If memory serves me well, the "first things fans experienced" was the TGS 2010 reveal trailer. Then, if I'm correct, the first trailer after that one didn't even have dialogue in it, much less the "**** you" scene. It was just gameplay footage:
I'd agree with you if the Poison banter was the first thing fans saw of the game, but in actuality, it wasn't.

And even if I'm incorrect about the order in which the trailers were revealed, my point still very much stands. In the long run, I associate the DMC games (all of them) with the style of the gameplay. You yourself said that your first impression with DMC3 was one of Dante's moves...that should be the priority and the association with the series, not whatever comes out of the protagonist's mouth. If the latter was the case, then it'd be fairly accurate to associate the previous games with cheesy dialogue and childish puns.
hm, fair point. Well in that case I guess I don't know why that line became the running joke

The reason for people noticing only the "fu.ck you" is same as that of other people noticing only "bad cuz of black hair" thing.
I don't think I've ever seen a single person actually claim to hate the game or the character just because of the black hair. But I've seen thousands of comments about "so many people only hate the character because of the black hair!"

I think it depends on what people consider curse words. I don't think in the video games he ever said f*ck you. But he probably said things like d*mn, or sh*t, or b*tch.
he said damn, none of the other things. Apparently he swore more in the anime, but the anime was kinda lame and I never made it more than 3 episodes in before I got tired of it, so I couldn't tell you personally

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
There was actually another, extended trailer where Dante spoke a bit, and Mundus, too.

I'd also say that while the scene with Poison was part of the first playable experience, it was part of an entire gameplay demo (with the same levels we got to play in the demo released in November 2012), so you had Under Watch and Secrent Ingredient to play. It obviously leaves an impression, but like Wolf mentions, it's hardly the largest take away from the experience. Even then, the demo build was hardly perfect, and people still judged that as the final product, so I guess...what is there to expect.

Plus, there's still the argument that the vulgarity of the scene is placed primarily on Poison, much more so than it is Dante. Despite Dante's own vulgarity at times, that scene showed a lot more of Poison's character than it did Dante's.

but the anime was kinda lame and I never made it more than 3 episodes in before I got tired of it, so I couldn't tell you personally

Consider yourself lucky. There were some cool moments in the anime, but it was all sandwiched with a whole lot of dumb and cliched anime junk. Which is funny because DMC itself is rather cliched and formulaic, but to make an anime that doesn't even play to those that make DMC worthwhile was a huge mistake on their part...

Top Bottom