• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Consider yourself lucky. There were some cool moments in the anime, but it was all sandwiched with a whole lot of dumb and cliched anime junk. Which is funny because DMC itself is rather cliched and formulaic, but to make an anime that doesn't even play to those that make DMC worthwhile was a huge mistake on their part...

yeah, I got about as far as the 6th instance of "STRAWBERRYU SUNDAY" in that really weird ultra deep voice and I was just feeling kinda done. There'd been like two decent fights, a whole lot of talking and driving around, a scene that tried to play itself off as a murder mystery, it was just a whole lot of weird stuff that didn't seem to fit the tone of any DMC game

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Consider yourself lucky. There were some cool moments in the anime, but it was all sandwiched with a whole lot of dumb and cliched anime junk. Which is funny because DMC itself is rather cliched and formulaic, but to make an anime that doesn't even play to those that make DMC worthwhile was a huge mistake on their part...
Don't know why the degrading quality of the anime comes off as a surprise to anyone. It's what happens when Bingo Morishashi gets free creative reign as a scenario and script-writer.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Anime quality has little to do with DMC writers. It's just this studio that made it, haven't made a single decent Anime on my memory. Let's remember Marvel animes, which were even bigger fail than DMC.

WolfOD64

Anime quality has little to do with DMC writers.
Both Bingo Morihashi and Hiroyuki Kobayashi (The director of DMC4) worked on the script and story for all of the Devil May Cry: Animated Series episodes. They came up with every scenario, every premise, and every original character in the series...essentially, all the elements that made the anime suck.

The absurd pacing and bland story were because of the writers, one of which has a record for lukewarm storytelling (Kobayashi), and one who has a full-scale resume of making the lackluster story for DMC 2. 3, and 4 (Morihashi). Devil May Cry can never survive on its story and characters alone, because neither of the writers behind it can write a story to save their lives...THAT'S why the anime sucked.

It's just this studio that made it, haven't made a single decent Anime on my memory.
Um...what?! WHAT?
This is Studio Madhouse, we're talking about. The same people who animated Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Claymore, and renowned anime film classics like Tokyo Godfathers and The Wolf Children. And that's just in recent memory, which you claim is a duration of time they haven't made a single decent anime in. Going back even further, they were also responsible for Trigun, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, and a seven-year project that resulted in a blazing, hand-drawn work of ecstasy you might've heard of called...oh, I don't know...REDLINE?
Their animation was the sole redeeming quality of that trainwreck of a DMC anime, and you're telling me THEY'RE the reason it was terrible? They've made some of best anime and movies in the medium, let alone "in recent memory." The only reason the Marvel anime failed miserably was the same reason the DMC anime was terrible...the writers. For all the cash and effort Marvel diligently pours into its movie adaptions, it barely coughs up a cent to assure quality control over their abysmal animated projects, let alone an anime spin-off.

This is so weird....I was just ripped to shreds and told off by a horde angry people on the Bayonetta 2 thread for criticizing certain anime tropes and cliches, and yet there are people on this forum who don't even know who Studio Madhouse is, or what they've contributed to the anime industry.

That's so blissfully ironic that it shouldn't even be real.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@WolfOD64
Do you really think that Madhouse company consists of one single studio that makes animations. It has over 70 employees and every freaking anime coming from that specific animator was garbage. HE made DMC it was ****. He made Supernatural it was ****. He made Marvel it was ****. You may look for faults anywhere you want. But I already came to conclusion that anything coming from this specific animator is soulless garbage no matter how you spin it.
And as for writing, Supernatural writing was very decent, yet they still managed to turn it into garbage. At this rate im 1010% sure that this is probably smaller team responsible for doing projects that already predefined wreck.

WolfOD64

@WolfOD64
Do you really think that Madhouse company consists of one single studio that makes animations. It has over 70 employees and every freaking anime coming from that specific animator was garbage. HE made DMC it was ****. He made Supernatural it was ****. He made Marvel it was ****. You may look for faults anywhere you want. But I already came to conclusion that anything coming from this specific animator is soulless garbage no matter how you spin it.
And as for writing, Supernatural writing was very decent, yet they still managed to turn it into garbage. At this rate im 1010% sure that this is probably smaller team responsible for doing projects that already predefined wreck.
You do realize that even if the director has a bad reputation (Shin Igataki does have a reputation for making sub-par shows), neither he nor the animation team has any control over the script and story---both of which were penned by Capcom's own in-house writers?

You're going to sit there and tell me that it's the animation team's fault for Animated Series' failure? The show could've been animated and produced by Don Bluth, and still reek of sub-par quality with the story and scenarios planned by Morihashi and Kobayashi in the first place.

There are no failures to pick and find...there's only the simple fact that the animated series fell short of expectation due to the lack of a competent script and story, both of which were a product of the writers...not the animators. Shifting the blame to them doesn't excuse the real culprits for the real faults the series flaunted in each episode.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You do realize that even if the director has a bad reputation (Shin Igataki does have a reputation for making sub-par shows), neither he nor the animation team has any control over the script and story---both of which were penned by Capcom's own in-house writers?

You're going to sit there and tell me that it's the animation team's fault for Animated Series' failure? The show could've been animated and produced by Don Bluth, and still reek of sub-par quality with the story and scenarios planned by Morihashi and Kobayashi in the first place.

There are no failures to pick and find...there's only the simple fact that the animated series fell short of expectation due to the lack of a competent script and story, both of which were a product of the writers...not the animators. Shifting the blame to them doesn't excuse the real culprits for the real faults the series flaunted in each episode.
I already told you, Supernatural had complete and good written story, but they manage even it turn into crap. At this point it doesn't even matter what writing it would have. "full creative freedom" would mean for them to direct episodes on their own, but they were actually directed by Madhouse, which once again showed itself for being incompetent and making anime akin to marvel flops.

And before you start debating again, Marvel anime was written by comic book writer Warren Ellis, who's being comic and book writer since who knows how many time, but hey they still manage to screw it completely turning it into unwatchable mess. So yeah, problem of DMC anime was direction, just like with all others Madhouse flops, since I find it hard to believe that even if story ideas were good, studio managed to make anything good out of it, just like they showed it on numerous occasions.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
MadHouse is an animation studio, writing and directing are carried out by whoever is chosen to do so, and that is not the animator's fault.

Marvel anime are horrible because some of the people who write comics aren't good and putting their concepts into a different visual medium - namely animation. Plus, writing is just one thing, the directing is another, as well as the caveats made to accommodate the producers who are funding the project.

MadHouse is an incredible animation studio, but they are not responsible for the failures of the writers and directors that are associated with projects they are animating. It's like someone saying a game sucks when, no, they just suck at the game. Can we call that "pulling a DarkSydePhil" please?

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Madhouse is incredible animation studio that made such pearls as Supernatural, DMC, Blade, X-Men, Iron-Man, Wolverine, Ninja Scroll (TV) all of which was lowest tier anime. Madhouse doesn't consists out of single animation studio. It's company not just single director thing.

>"people who write comic aren't good" Well, I don't know wether laugh or cry when I read something like that. Not only it's ignorance of highest level, but it also funny that such generalizing exists. Let's pretend there were never good comic animation or comic film out there that was written by comic writers :/

Yeah Marvel anime was written by some low-tier guy, who only won numerous awards for his writing and published few books on his own. And that Supernatural was always crap, so no, it's all fault of people who made it in the first place #irony

People may blame DMC3 or 4 writer all they want, but I don't trust Madhouse with being capable to do anything decent with in the first place, looking how they unable to adapt already written and directed piece of work like Supernatural.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Madhouse is incredible animation studio that made such pearls as Supernatural, DMC, Blade, X-Men, Iron-Man, Wolverine, Ninja Scroll (TV) all of which was lowest tier anime. Madhouse doesn't consists out of single animation studio. It's company not just single director thing.

Soooo...you list all of the "low tier anime" without bothering to mention the vast amount of great OVAs and movies they have done. The one thing consistent between all of these projects is MadHouse, and the animation has almost always been top-notch, even in things deemed subpar because of story. However, who is responsible for delivering the story? The writers and directors, not the animators, who deliver the visuals.

You can't exclude information.

>"people who write comic aren't good" Well, I don't know wether laugh or cry when I read something like that. Not only it's ignorance of highest level, but it also funny that such generalizing exists. Let's pretend there were never good comic animation or comic film out there that was written by comic writers :/

Or...maybe you can. You can't exclude the end of my sentence you're half-quoting, because it's as important to my point as the rest of it. I said some people who write comics aren't good and transferring that to an animated medium. That is by no means to say they are all like that. No generalization is implied, other than by your exclusion of half of what I said.

There are plenty of comic-based animations, but oddly enough, many of them weren't written by the comic's writers, like if I recall correctly, most of the animated DC superhero shows that were on TV in the 90s and 00s (Batman, Supderman, Batman Beyond).

Yeah Marvel anime was written by some low-tier guy, who only won numerous awards for his writing and published few books on his own. And that Supernatural was always crap, so no, it's all fault of people who made it in the first place #irony

Congrats on him, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have made some subpar work, or not been able to do half of what he wanted to because of whatever constraints. Supernatural's anime episodes were bad because they mostly missed the overall points of each episode, and lacked the heart of the show itself.

Again, that's not the animator's fault. Do you blame the artist for drawing up a comic with sh!tty writing? Because that's essentially what you're trying to say.

People may blame DMC3 or 4 writer all they want, but I don't trust Madhouse with being capable to do anything decent with in the first place, looking how they unable to adapt already written and directed piece of work like Supernatural.

As mentioned, the Supernatural anime lacked the heart of the show, and you're still ignoring all of the incredible work that they have done, Redline being its most recent. Last Order is up there, Death Note, Animatrix, Gungrave Trigun, Vampire Hunter D...God, the list goes on and on.

Go soak your head.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Soooo...you list all of the "low tier anime" without bothering to mention the vast amount of great OVAs and movies they have done. The one thing consistent between all of these projects is MadHouse, and the animation has almost always been top-notch, even in things deemed subpar because of story. However, who is responsible for delivering the story? The writers and directors, not the animators, who deliver the visuals..
And who directed it? Welp. Can't really point a finger but it was Mad-House guys. Writer deliver script, director cuts and reworks it to adapt it into time window of the show. On their own ideas weren't terrible, it's rather all of them felt like half-heartly done and poorly stitched together.

Or...maybe you can. You can't exclude the end of my sentence you're half-quoting, because it's as important to my point as the rest of it. I said some people who write comics aren't good and transferring that to an animated medium. That is by no means to say they are all like that. No generalization is implied, other than by your exclusion of half of what I said.
So you edited your sentence today to support your point. No offense, but if you don't have responsibility for what you write, don't bother with attempts to prove me anything.

There are plenty of comic-based animations, but oddly enough, many of them weren't written by the comic's writers, like if I recall correctly, most of the animated DC superhero shows that were on TV in the 90s and 00s (Batman, Supderman, Batman Beyond).
Out of the head, recent ones: Under the Red Hood, JL: Flashpoint Paradox.

Congrats on him,....
Thank you kindly for your praise, I don't think he could've make it without it :facepalm:
Again, that's not the animator's fault. Do you blame the artist for drawing up a comic with sh!tty writing? Because that's essentially what you're trying to say..
No I blame director who is responsible for combining drawing and writing and put meaningful experience for audience. Don't come up with stuff that I never said.

As mentioned, the Supernatural anime lacked the heart of the show, and you're still ignoring all of the incredible work that they have done, Redline being its most recent. Last Order is up there, Death Note, Animatrix, Gungrave Trigun, Vampire Hunter D...God, the list goes on and on..
Just because they have good directors, it doesn't mean that there aren't any bad directors (or you can continue to ignore it to your heart content) So far it looked like Uwe Boll production with pretty much everything they adapted from western media and DMC in there along with it. Ideas there. Characters there. Animes still crap. That's why I'm not fan of eastern adaptation of western stuff or game adaptations. Putting them together isn't same thing as making own stuff or adapt manga.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
When it comes to cursing in an M game, I'm pretty sure most people have no problem. So long as Dante stayed witty and smug.
The 'prom date' line had me in hysterics at the burn he layed.
I think it was more or less that 'F you' is so... Generic.
Especially with Poison's ugliness. He could've made a joke about he DIDNT want to **** her.
But instead resorted to one of the most generic insults in the book.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And who directed it? Welp. Can't really point a finger but it was Mad-House guys. Writer deliver script, director cuts and reworks it to adapt it into time window of the show. On their own ideas weren't terrible, it's rather all of them felt like half-heartly done and poorly stitched together.

You can easily find out who directed what production that was animated by MadHouse, but MadHouse is an animation studio, not some director's guild.

So you edited your sentence today to support your point. No offense, but if you don't have responsibility for what you write, don't bother with attempts to prove me anything.

I only added the hyphenated line of " - namley animation" and cleaned up some misspelling I saw. Ironically, the hyphenated line I added was still part of my sentence that you completely left out of your half-assed quote anyway, so literally nothing changed. You still took what I said completely out of context.

Out of the head, recent ones: Under the Red Hood, JL: Flashpoint Paradox.

Comparing the stuff from the past that wasn't written by comic writers with stuff in the present where the quality has finally skyrocketed in some cases. Your point doesn't work.

Red Hood was fantastic though.

No I blame director who is responsible for combining drawing and writing and put meaningful experience for audience. Don't come up with stuff that I never said.

Okay, so you blame the director - then why have you gone about saying that it's all MadHouse's (an animation studios) fault for low quality of some of their productions, when the only thing they actually have a hand in is animating the production.

Just because they have good directors, it doesn't mean that there aren't any bad directors (or you can continue to ignore it to your heart content) So far it looked like Uwe Boll production with pretty much everything they adapted from western media and DMC in there along with it. Ideas there. Characters there. Animes still crap. That's why I'm not fan of eastern adaptation of western stuff or game adaptations. Putting them together isn't same thing as making own stuff or adapt manga.

that's incredibly true, there are good and bad directors - but this still has nothing to do with MadHouse because MadHouse is an animation studio. Geeze dude...you just like entirely shifted your stance from saying Madhouse sucks to explicitly blaming directors...

Welp! Time for more Japanese studying. Again, go soak your head.

He could've made a joke about he DIDNT want to **** her.

If I remember correctly there was a bit cut/altered from that scene where Dante did mention how he wasn't keen on doing her. I have it all on a notepad on my PC, but alas, I am nowhere near it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You can easily find out who directed what production that was animated by MadHouse, but MadHouse is an animation studio, not some director's guild.
...Do you really think that all animation studio do is drawing?...

I only added the hyphenated line of " - namley animation" and cleaned up some misspelling I saw. Ironically, the hyphenated line I added was still part of my sentence that you completely left out of your half-assed quote anyway, so literally nothing changed. You still took what I said completely out of context.
I reread your quote at the very beginning multiple times, stunned by ignorance of it, since "some" was conveniently missing in it's first form.

Comparing the stuff from the past that wasn't written by comic writers with stuff in the present where the quality has finally skyrocketed in some cases. Your point doesn't work.

Red Hood was fantastic though.
Past? lol it's not like Marvel anime and those I mentioned belong to different era.

Okay, so you blame the director - then why have you gone about saying that it's all MadHouse's (an animation studios) fault for low quality of some of their productions, when the only thing they actually have a hand in is animating the production.
....You didn't even bothered with reading what I wrote in first place, so I'm not really kin to repeat myself. 1. Madhouse is company that consists of several studios working on diferent projects at same time. 2. I blame that one studio that directed DMC for delivering half-assed anime, since it was their piece of work.

that's incredibly true, there are good and bad directors - but this still has nothing to do with MadHouse because MadHouse is an animation studio. Geeze dude...you just like entirely shifted your stance from saying Madhouse sucks to explicitly blaming directors....
Welp at this rate it's pretty obvious that you absolutely clueless what animation studio do. IT doesn't consists only out of animators. It's also consists out of directors, storyboards, management and many, many other co-workers. It's like as if you said that Capcom consists only out of people making games, while ignoring PR people, managers, planers, etc,etc. At this rate, since 1. you didn't read what I was writing in the first place 2. You have no clue how big animation companies work, I suggest you go and educate yourself on this matter. BEfore jumping middle of debate, without knowing what you saying in the first place.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Anime quality has little to do with DMC writers. It's just this studio that made it, haven't made a single decent Anime on my memory. Let's remember Marvel animes, which were even bigger fail than DMC.
I honestly would have been happy if they just remade DMC3 for the anime, maybe gone a little more into the story elements that they were criminally brief with in the game

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
The truth is with the new Dante needed a tag line. Dante has jackpot so they went with the word that drew the most attention from the ReDante. That word just so happens to be the f word. He should be proud. Memes are the internet equivalent to pop culture.

DMC1 Dante: Congratulations kiddo you made it!
DMC3 Dante: *claps*
DMC4 Dante: *claps*
DMC2 Dante: *slow claps*

DmC Dante: >:/

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I honestly would have been happy if they just remade DMC3 for the anime, maybe gone a little more into the story elements that they were criminally brief with in the game
It would be pretty cool. Especially if they build Vergil backstory in:D Maybe it could've work better. Though like I said, that one studio has really bad record. I would prefer for them to give it to people who made Persona 4 anime.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
F you is the first thing people use because its the ONLY thing people seem to care about. This is 2014, grow up.

Top Bottom