• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Once again, you're missing the point. This is about the fact that they seek out what they don't like.
Nobody seeks anything, it's only your paranoia. I don't spend days looking for each article about DmC on any site only to start meaningless argument.

Slight difference between my criticism, especially since I still love the entire series, as opposed to people who hate the game, and flock to the DmC forum and spout literal bullsh!t at times, passing it as fact.
I'm not really interested in your excuses. So deal with fact that I'm part of this forum, and don't try to mob me just because I disagree with you since I'm not gonna play ball.

How the f#ck do you ignore that sh!t when it is forced down your throat and is literally what derails discussions?! Ignoring is a nice function, but maybe people should stop acting like self-entitled shi!ts instead - oh wait, it's the internet, where being a complete f#cking sh!t is supposed to be accepted as the norm.
Cussing, insulting in passive form and derailing once again. We had normal discussion, yet you started another flamewar. So yeah, thank you for meaningful contribution. :meh:

Or, since you bring up the rules, mods would certainly love it for people to have some actual common courtesy, instead of feeling like it's everyone else's problem.

Theeeeeeen report me? Or, I'd imagine if it was really as important of a rule, the mods who have gone through many of the discussions I have taken part and "cussed" in would have already talked to me about it..
I won't report anyone, even if somebody acts as complete moron (don't mean you). But don't expect me to read through your cussing feats.

You are just an atrociously horrible reader. You completely ignored the subject of the sentence. Seriously. I said absolutely nothing about "booing another team". You are legitimately wrong here.
You just made another 180°. Seriously, do everyone a favor, and stop your attempts to start flamewar. This whole discussion won't contribute to topic, so if you want meaningful discussion stay on topic. Whole complaining about who dislikes game gives no answer to topic-creator's question.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
He was visibly disgusted, and was probably angry seeing the things demons were doing to people.
Well I haven't played the game often enough to agree or disagree on that. I'm playing it through again at the moment so....I guess unless I come back here to say that you were right and I was wrong, I'll be standing by what I said.

Edit:
@Innsmouth and @TWOxACROSS seriously get a room.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To answer the OP, the cursing(mostly the scene with the succubus) was used because it was an opportunity to show Nt as shoddy storytellers and "not all they crack to be" by the vocal fandom who hated DmC and NT, accusing them of trying too hard to be edgy etc.

Captain Xin

The Discussions seems to be heated up a little bit here...

I'll be honest, I didn't find the "f you scene" that great either. Yeah, I chuckled a little, but to me it's one of those "so bad it's actually funny" moments people enjoy in video games. Me? I hated these things, guess I just hated swearing in general.

Why does the scene stir so many respond? well what do you expect? Some people just hated this game! The developer released a picture of Dante wearing a gauntlet, they copy&pasted a baby's head on his face and calling it humor. At that point, anything released by the developer was an abomination to them. It doesn't matter which cut-scene the developer used. The F Bomb was just another perfect opportunity for them to use against the developer of this game.

So they used it, it's that simple.

Last edited:

Captain Xin

Oh, and I just saw someone asked whether or not he should get the visual-art for DmC back here in an Asian gaming forum. Guess what happened?

Nothing really, just a bunch of internet strangers (Including the Mod HIMSELF) trying to convince him not to waste his money on this "piece of abomination".

Guess some people are just that determined.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nobody seeks anything, it's only your paranoia. I don't spend days looking for each article about DmC on any site only to start meaningless argument.

I'm not even talking about you, but the multitude of people that I came across over three years who constantly showed up on all the videos and articles regarding DmC. Hell, there were some people on this very forum who came here explicitly to start sh!t about how much they hated DmC.

I came across many people like that in my time simply looking for things regarding my interest in DmC. What you call ghosts are really tangible memories.

I'm not really interested in your excuses. So deal with fact that I'm part of this forum, and don't try to mob me just because I disagree with you since I'm not gonna play ball.

Not an excuse. Plus, anytime I've criticized something, anything, it's been backed up with a lot of objective facts that give the criticism weight. If I ever spoke about something that wasn't fact, I made it very clear it was simply my opinion. Quite a bit of things said to criticize DmC has been opinion tossed around as fact, and is usually rather debatable. Case in point: saying that the delivery of swearing was bad or useless.

You just made another 180°. Seriously, do everyone a favor, and stop your attempts to start flamewar.

Innie, you need to find me exactly where I said anything about "booing the other team". I'm totally serious, because I cannot fathom how you could think that was my point when what I said was clear as day. There was no 180 or backtracking. Apparently you took away something very different from what I actually said.

You wanna talk about diverging from topics, that is all you ever do when you get into a debate.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And oh what the heck, to answer the original question that is the topic, why is "F#ck you!" the first thing people use when referring to DmC? It is a good question, considering that swearing takes up like 5% of all his dialogue.

Because it was more vulgar than DMC fans were used to, so it stuck out, and people lack imagination, therefore being unable to come up with anything more clever at the time. "Huh huh huh...Dante said f#ck once, so that's the entirety of his dialogue huh huh huh."

Sh!t, the putting DmC dialogue to some old Shakespeare video was more clever than that, and that was taken grossly out of context to begin. Or the T-Rex with Vergil's trilby and Yamato.

It is funny though, because these kinds of things said about the game can really help one pin who is literally just parroting junk they heard, and has never actually bothered to play the game or pay attention to a video. Quite ironic in and of itself, considering that some would counter with "why should I bother playing/watching something I don't give a sh!t about?", while they hang around places devoted to that very thing.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You wanna talk about diverging from topics, that is all you ever do when you get into a debate.
This whole debacle is complete off-topic stuff, so I don't intend to continue it any farther. I don't know about what tangible memories you talk, nor do I interest in it. But don't run around generalizing any possible person disliking DmC as hater and using it as a excuse to derail topic. I said all I wanted and if it falls on deaf ears, I'm not really interested in repeating it so don't bother with replies.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
And oh what the heck, to answer the original question that is the topic, why is "F#ck you!" the first thing people use when referring to DmC? It is a good question, considering that swearing takes up like 5% of all his dialogue.

Because it was more vulgar than DMC fans were used to, so it stuck out, and people lack imagination, therefore being unable to come up with anything more clever at the time. "Huh huh huh...Dante said f#ck once, so that's the entirety of his dialogue huh huh huh."

Sh!t, the putting DmC dialogue to some old Shakespeare video was more clever than that, and that was taken grossly out of context to begin. Or the T-Rex with Vergil's trilby and Yamato.

It is funny though, because these kinds of things said about the game can really help one pin who is literally just parroting junk they heard, and has never actually bothered to play the game or pay attention to a video. Quite ironic in and of itself, considering that some would counter with "why should I bother playing/watching something I don't give a sh!t about?", while they hang around places devoted to that very thing.
So you just ignored ToriJ's point, mine, and others'... because you want to live in imaginationland? Because you want to think that people disliked Dante using 'f*ck you' because ''oh noes! my frail body can't handle swearing''? We keep explaining, and you keep ignoring it, trying to somehow 'disprove it' by countering it with your own opinion. It doesn't work that way.

''Hell, there were some people on this very forum who came here explicitly to start sh!t about how much they hated DmC.''

Stop acting like people who said they disliked his 'f*ck you' line are 'DmC haters'. Seriously, it always ends up being about DmC haters with you! It's 2014, and there are no apparent DmC haters on this forum anymore. If you asked everyone what they thought of it, they'd say they liked playing it (though some may prefer DMC of course - there's no accounting for taste). You keep bringing up stuff that happened in the past, and things that even happened between different people! Stop living in the past, and if you can't, then leave the debate.

Nobody said 'f*ck you' was the entirety of his dialogue. You're just making these 'beliefs of why they dislike it' up, and falsely attributing them to people.

And if you believe it has nothing to do with unimaginative writing, and that it is all just subjective, then why are you even arguing with people in the first place? How is arguing over opinions constructive? This seems to me to be yet another case of denial that DmC was mediocre in some respects. If not, then you're denying that people can have negative opinions about certain dialog. It's like you're saying that ''negative opinions will not be tolerated''. No offense, but there's no need to be so butthurt about any and all criticism towards DmC, especially if it's just opinions according to you.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Sorry if that sounded really aggressive, but it's just really annoying me that every debate ends up being about 'DmC haters', when there are none to be found on this forum (anymore). It just seems like there's a lot of willful ignorance here, as well as people who are stuck in the past. The word 'haters' is something I'd rather not even use, because you either like something or you don't, and 'haters' is used as a kind of instant rebuttal. It's a word that demeans and deprecates the opposing side in a debate, even when that side is trying to have a normal discussion. I'm sick of it being used to excuse ignorance and hatred.

Last edited:

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
One thing I will admit subconsciously bothered me about New Dante's edginess was that his story was a revenge quest. I didn't realize it till a while after playing
Keep in mind, even in DMC1 Dante was more driven by a sense of responsibility than revenge. Something hard to find in origin stories nowadays. Unfortunately, that all boils down to the fan favorite complaint. "You ****ed up Sparda with that nephillim prophecy ****." Although, if what Tameem said about angels not being 'good'. Then DmC's 'edginess' portrayed the series moral ( a personal favorite of mine) better than DMC1 (which nailed it with Trish at the end)
"What I am isn't who I am"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
One thing I will admit subconsciously bothered me about New Dante's edginess was that his story was a revenge quest. I didn't realize it till a while after playing
Keep in mind, even in DMC1 Dante was more driven by a sense of responsibility than revenge. Something hard to find in origin stories nowadays. Unfortunately, that all boils down to the fan favorite complaint. "You ****ed up Sparda with that nephillim prophecy ****." Although, if what Tameem said about angels not being 'good'. Then DmC's 'edginess' portrayed the series moral ( a personal favorite of mine) better than DMC1 (which nailed it with Trish at the end)
"What I am isn't who I am"
Huh? It was actually quite a bit of the opposite here. DMC 1 Dante's motivation has more than enough revenge in it because he even says it. He hopes to stumble across the demons that killed his family with the Devil May Cry business. He knew all about his family and it was quite a loss for him. Sure he still fights the good fight because he's Dante, but DmC was more about Dante fighting for a cause and a responsibility as a protector of humanity. It's learning of his lineage, the Order, and people he met Dante becomes the hero.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
''Hell, there were some people on this very forum who came here explicitly to start sh!t about how much they hated DmC.''

See, that's what I mean. You're connecting that fact to the current discussion, when it happened in the *past*. Nobody's hating on DmC; I liked DmC, and overall its writing wasn't bad. Most people here feel that way. The use of the words 'f*ck you' though... yeah, I see it as a good example of how DmC's writing does peter out sometimes. The only thing that's relevant is the way it was used. This strange emphasis on the words 'f*ck you' is very odd to me, because it is not interesting writing, IMO. Instead of having all these 'f*ck yous', we could've had something a bit more interesting. Dante is supposed to at least be cool, not to be just a juvenile twenty-or-so-year-old. I can't just excuse it because 'the writing wasn't terrible'. I *know* it wasn't terrible - but I think we have the right to ask for something we can all enjoy. And before anyone starts with comparisons to DMC, I'm not saying DMC did it better, and DMC is not the subject of the debate.

It's not a big deal, really. I don't know why so many people get riled up about it, thinking that it's an attack on DmC. But I do think it's valid criticism, whether we like 'f you' or dislike it.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This whole debacle is complete off-topic stuff, so I don't intend to continue it any farther. I don't know about what tangible memories you talk, nor do I interest in it. But don't run around generalizing any possible person disliking DmC as hater and using it as a excuse to derail topic. I said all I wanted and if it falls on deaf ears, I'm not really interested in repeating it so don't bother with replies.

You go so far into arguing, and then you just go "I have no interest". And you also conveniently leave without admitting that you were wrong about that whole football thing that I said.

So you just ignored ToriJ's point, mine, and others'... because you want to live in imaginationland? Because you want to think that people disliked Dante using 'f*ck you' because ''oh noes! my frail body can't handle swearing''? We keep explaining, and you keep ignoring it, trying to somehow 'disprove it' by countering it with your own opinion. It doesn't work that way.

Okay, you seem to be completely misrepresenting my point. I didn't say anything about it being people unable to handle swearing. That is literally not something that I said. I said they weren't used to DMC being vulgar like that, as in, it's not something the classics ever did, and therefore it was different and unwanted because it clashed with what they knew DMC to be. That's a big reason why people disliked DmC to begin with, because it was different from what they knew the franchise to be. Their hero was different, the setting was different, the tone was different.

What I said had nothing to do with this "my virgin ears!" junk :/ The only point I mentioned that was that it made people come off as oversensitive, like when they didn't bother elaborating. I'm not at all saying that it's simply because they "can't handle it".

And when I'm "disproving", it's that I would like some objective facts to support what is being said. That's why I mention benchmarks, and I'm not throwing out my opinion on it either. Where did I say "I feel" or imply that it was opinion? Because that's not my intention at all.

Stop acting like people who said they disliked his 'f*ck you' line are 'DmC haters'. Seriously, it always ends up being about DmC haters with you! It's 2014, and there are no apparent DmC haters on this forum anymore. If you asked everyone what they thought of it, they'd say they liked playing it (though some may prefer DMC of course - there's no accounting for taste). You keep bringing up stuff that happened in the past, and things that even happened between different people! Stop living in the past, and if you can't, then leave the debate.

Dude, I'm talking from experience, one that a lot of other people had when they followed information and videos on DmC since its announcement. They may be gone but they existed and it's a prime example of why many are still gunshy, myself included sometimes, especially when people do seem to never have anything worthwhile to say.

Nobody said 'f*ck you' was the entirety of his dialogue. You're just making these 'beliefs of why they dislike it' up, and falsely attributing them to people.

C'mon man, that's the entire reason for this topic, because people do refer to Dante like that! It's the entire point of why the question was asked. People make pictures of Dante with speech bubbles where all he utters is "F#ck you", as if it's his defining trait. This is a real thing that you can find on the internet, and it's the reason why this topic was even created.

And if you believe it has nothing to do with unimaginative writing, and that it is all just subjective, then why are you even arguing with people in the first place? How is arguing over opinions constructive? This seems to me to be yet another case of denial that DmC was mediocre in some respects. If not, then you're denying that people can have negative opinions about certain dialog. It's like you're saying that ''negative opinions will not be tolerated''. No offense, but there's no need to be so butthurt about any and all criticism towards DmC, especially if it's just opinions according to you.

Okay, let's get one thing straight; I don't think that DmC is some god-sent came that can do no wrong, some of it is mediocre at times. However, DmC has been getting a raw deal since Day f#cking One, and the "mediocre" aspects of the game are treated as way worse than they really are because it's DmC. The game does several things way better than some of the classics because hey, they got better at it, even the later classics did better in several ways, because they got better. There is a very clear benchmark for certain things, like performance, and DmC, along with DMC3 and DMC4, rise well above DMC1's campy-to-just-plain-bad performances, or if you wanna go lower for that benchmark Resident Evil 1's original performances.

And I'm not saying it doesn't have anything to do with unimaginative writing, I'm saying that "unimaginative writing" is a very shallow and rather baseless claim to make. How is that measured? What's it measured against? What makes it unimaginative? Why does it even need to be imaginative in the first place? It's...swear words...did you want them to get really creative with them? I mean, c'mon, people use them because their sharp and to the point, they get the job done, not out of laziness or lack of imagination. Hell, the more imaginative you get with swearing, the more awkward it sounds, like "What in the sh!tting hell is going on here...?" does. It wasn't played emphatically or to exert emotion or attitude, it was just a creative way to say "What the hell?".

That's sort of an overall problem with some of the criticism tossed at DmC. It's a lot of subjective and/or undefinable things that somehow just need to be taking at face value. Things that are said are just like "Yup, that's just how it is", and then people get all p!ssy when there's someone like me who bothers to challenge the question. Then somehow it devolves into "it's just my opinion" from where it was originally thrown in as a fact.

Why would I even argue over subjectivity in the first place, though? Because so many drop in and throw around their subjective views as if they're fact, as if they're things that just need to be accepted, and it's utter bullsh!t. And this is something that pretty much every DmC fan has had to deal with. There was no place we could go to just have a nice conversation, to discuss what we liked, without some asshats dragging things down. It's like we weren't allowed to like it, and if we were, not without massive amounts of scrutiny.

And there is still a whole lot of people just trodding on over to the DmC section that never have anything constructive to say. Why is it okay for the rest of the forum to have jolly good times, but whenever the DmC section tries to, someone is always there to p!ss in everyone's cereal? Why does DmC and its fans have to just "deal with it"?

I'm sorry if it's off-topic, but when it seems to happen in every DmC thread, it really begs the question.

See, that's what I mean. You're connecting that fact to the current discussion, when it happened in the *past*.

It certainly doesn't feel like the past when you don't see certain people come in to the DmC forum to say anything constructive. Honestly, I'll just f#cking say it - I have not seen Innsmouth ever enter a DmC discussion that wasn't him devaluing what was being said. I have never seen him talk about what he may like about DmC unless prompted, or his interest in the game is challenged. He is only ever around in the DmC section to criticize, and he is mysteriously absent from any positive discussion about the game. Mind you, this is my experience and what I've witnessed, but that is what I have seen. And he's also not the first - there were many before him who are no longer here, or who actually do their best to actually be courteous and avoid topics on something they don't like.

That is why it doesn't feel like it's in the past, because I seem to be catching all the "right stuff" that shows me what I saw for three, no four years is still happening.

Nobody's hating on DmC; I liked DmC, and overall its writing wasn't bad. Most people here feel that way. The use of the words 'f*ck you' though... yeah, I see it as a good example of how DmC's writing does peter out sometimes. The only thing that's relevant is the way it was used. This strange emphasis on the words 'f*ck you' is very odd to me, because it is not interesting writing, IMO.

To change gears completely, what makes you feel like there's an emphasis on the phrase? I mean, it's not even said all that often (and when it is it still has context, however trivial). The curious thing is that the people who didn't like DmC are the ones that I've seen put a large emphasis on the phrase itself.

Instead of having all these 'f*ck yous', we could've had something a bit more interesting. Dante is supposed to at least be cool, not to be just a juvenile twenty-or-so-year-old.

Well now, that is actually the point. Dante is still very raw, that was an actual element to his character that they focused on. It's something that gradually changes in him over time. He stops being so angry and sweary, those rough edges get smoothed out, and what's left is his cocky, oft-facetious side. It goes hand in hand with how he originally couldn't give a sh!t, then only cares about avenging his family, then to putting it all on the line for a friend, and then putting it all on the line for humanity.

It's not a big deal, really. I don't know why so many people get riled up about it, thinking that it's an attack on DmC. But I do think it's valid criticism, whether we like 'f you' or dislike it.

It's part of being gunshy, honestly. Like I said before, DmC has never really been given an inch, and when it is, there always seems to be someone else there to take two back. Plus, with that "f#ck you" stuff, it was something that a lot of dissenters used to knock the game. Like, I can't stress enough how so many people, off of five seconds of dialogue, concluded that Dante's vocabulary was comprised of nothin' but "f#ck". A lot of what DmC did/does is used as ammunition against it.

Sorry if that sounded really aggressive, but it's just really annoying me that every debate ends up being about 'DmC haters', when there are none to be found on this forum (anymore). It just seems like there's a lot of willful ignorance here, as well as people who are stuck in the past. The word 'haters' is something I'd rather not even use, because you either like something or you don't, and 'haters' is used as a kind of instant rebuttal. It's a word that demeans and deprecates the opposing side in a debate, even when that side is trying to have a normal discussion. I'm sick of it being used to excuse ignorance and hatred.

I don't like to use the word either, but sometimes it fit for people who did and still do hang around something they don't like. And like I mentioned before, it really doesn't feel like it's gone away as a thing of the past.

Huh? It was actually quite a bit of the opposite here. DMC 1 Dante's motivation has more than enough revenge in it because he even says it. He hopes to stumble across the demons that killed his family with the Devil May Cry business. He knew all about his family and it was quite a loss for him. Sure he still fights the good fight because he's Dante, but DmC was more about Dante fighting for a cause and a responsibility as a protector of humanity. It's learning of his lineage, the Order, and people he met Dante becomes the hero.

With DmC it was a bit of both. Dante started off not giving a sh!t, then when he found out about his past, he selfishly wanted revenge for his family, then as he got to know people, he selflessly risks it all to save a friend, and in the end, he selflessly casts aside his blood ties to protect humanity.

Anyway, I've got a Japanese quiz to study for. Later, taters.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@TWOxACROSS I see a great deal of merit in what you've said, but I do have to contest one thing---the DmC section is not the only one that's been shat on. When I arrived on the forums, and for a few months or so following, there were people posting in the other sections--namely DMC3 and 4--who would make disparaging comments about those versions of Dante, when the thread absolutely didn't call for it. I won't name names, as there's no point; some of those posters have either quieted down, learned to keep their counsel, or have vanished, altogether.

The point is, it goes both ways; yes, DmC did get a raw deal, you're absolutely right. But, I think we've gotten to the point where the vast majority of people have outgrown nitpicking over the games minor faults (such as the cussing), and as such, have settled into a fairly decent state of neutrality.

You know how some people tend to hate an entire demographic, based on the sins of the few? (Religion comes to mind, here...something you said once, in fact, about how not all Christians are the same, but a lot of people throw them altogether, thanks to the few asshats that make the rest of them look bad? Like the Westboro Church, for example...) I digress, I think it's slipped into that gear, at this point. You have legitimate cause to feel frustrated with the few people who have made it their mission to pick DmC apart, without mercy--but that's the thing; they are the few. The rest of us either like the reboot, or at the very least, respect others' rights to like it.

In short--don't let a few bad apples get you down, Two. :)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, but it's interesting because a lot of what ends up happening in the other forums is some shaky retaliation because of what DmC fans have gone through. It's a bit of a special case because of the raw deal DmC gets a lot of the time, and now the gunshy of the lot are sort of retroactively lashing out :/

Not saying it's right or anything, but there's a bit more to consider is all.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
1 Okay, you seem to be completely misrepresenting my point. I didn't say anything about it being people unable to handle swearing. That is literally not something that I said. I said they weren't used to DMC being vulgar like that, as in, it's not something the classics ever did, and therefore it was different and unwanted because it clashed with what they knew DMC to be. That's a big reason why people disliked DmC to begin with, because it was different from what they knew the franchise to be. Their hero was different, the setting was different, the tone was different.

2 And when I'm "disproving", it's that I would like some objective facts to support what is being said. That's why I mention benchmarks, and I'm not throwing out my opinion on it either. Where did I say "I feel" or imply that it was opinion? Because that's not my intention at all.

3 They may be gone but they existed and it's a prime example of why many are still gunshy, myself included sometimes, especially when people do seem to never have anything worthwhile to say.

4 C'mon man, that's the entire reason for this topic, because people do refer to Dante like that! People make pictures of Dante with speech bubbles where all he utters is "F#ck you", as if it's his defining trait. This is a real thing that you can find on the internet, and it's the reason why this topic was even created.

5 I don't think that DmC is some god-sent came that can do no wrong, some of it is mediocre at times. However, DmC has been getting a raw deal since Day f#cking One, and the "mediocre" aspects of the game are treated as way worse than they really are because it's DmC.

6 I'm saying that "unimaginative writing" is a very shallow and rather baseless claim to make. How is that measured? What's it measured against? What makes it unimaginative? Why does it even need to be imaginative in the first place? It's...swear words...did you want them to get really creative with them?

7 I'm sorry if it's off-topic, but when it seems to happen in every DmC thread, it really begs the question. It certainly doesn't feel like the past when you don't see certain people come in to the DmC forum to say anything constructive. Honestly, I'll just f#cking say it - I have not seen Innsmouth ever enter a DmC discussion that wasn't him devaluing what was being said. I have never seen him talk about what he may like about DmC unless prompted, or his interest in the game is challenged. He is only ever around in the DmC section to criticize, and he is mysteriously absent from any positive discussion about the game. Mind you, this is my experience and what I've witnessed, but that is what I have seen. And he's also not the first - there were many before him who are no longer here, or who actually do their best to actually be courteous and avoid topics on something they don't like.

8 To change gears completely, what makes you feel like there's an emphasis on the phrase? I mean, it's not even said all that often (and when it is it still has context, however trivial). The curious thing is that the people who didn't like DmC are the ones that I've seen put a large emphasis on the phrase itself.

9 Dante is still very raw, that was an actual element to his character that they focused on. It's something that gradually changes in him over time. He stops being so angry and sweary, those rough edges get smoothed out, and what's left is his cocky, oft-facetious side. It goes hand in hand with how he originally couldn't give a sh!t, then only cares about avenging his family, then to putting it all on the line for a friend, and then putting it all on the line for humanity.

10 It's part of being gunshy, honestly. Like I said before, DmC has never really been given an inch, and when it is, there always seems to be someone else there to take two back. I don't like to use the word either, but sometimes it fit for people who did and still do hang around something they don't like. And like I mentioned before, it really doesn't feel like it's gone away as a thing of the past.

Anyway, I've got a Japanese quiz to study for. Later, taters.

1 Alright, then I may have misconstrued your point with that of DragonMaster or someone else. That said, nobody said (or implied) that we disliked his 'f*ck you' line just because we ''weren't used to it'' or because it ''wasn't something the classics ever did''. Believe it or not, not everyone likes some of DmC's writing, even if they're fans. There are multiple reasons for people to dislike some of DmC's writing - even if they might be just opinions. You can't just chalk it all up to ''DMC fans not being used to DmC''. There's no shame in admitting that some people don't like some of DmC's writing.

2 ''it's that I would like some objective facts to support what is being said. Where did I say "I feel" or imply that it was opinion? Because that's not my intention at all.''

Right here: ''Quite a bit of things said to criticize DmC has been opinion tossed around as fact, and is usually rather debatable. Case in point: saying that the delivery of swearing was bad or useless.''

Oh, and here: ''That's sort of an overall problem with some of the criticism tossed at DmC. It's a lot of subjective and/or undefinable things that somehow just need to be taking at face value.''

Also, facts are always objective. And opinions can't always be supported with facts. In this instance, I don't know what you mean by supporting it with facts. Fact is that Dante could've said something else - something more interesting than just 'f*ck you'. Writing it on a guest list after that is redundant and sort of eye-roll inducing for me. You can't support that with facts, that's just the way I feel about it.
In this case, though, I think 'f*ck you' appearing three times in the game with such emphasis on it was just really lackluster. First said by Dante, then written on a guest list, then said by a random demon when Dante acted impolite. I just don't see the appeal in the word, especially when it gets overused.

3 So? That's no reason to treat everyone who doesn't like some of DmC's writing as 'DmC haters'. Yes, DmC haters existed, and still do, but we're not those people. It seems like you're generalizing.

4 That's just your interpretation of it. Nobody said or implied that all Dante ever says is 'f*ck you'. BUT it is possible that they used it as an example of DmC's occasionally awkward writing. It's also possible they use it as a way to represent how they feel ''DmC/Capcom screwed them over''. Many people were really angry about the fact that DMC was dropped like a brick and rebooted 'just like that'. At the time, I was too. They just dropped it and didn't even try to wrap up DMC's story.

5 ''the "mediocre" aspects of the game are treated as way worse than they really are because it's DmC.''
This may be another example of how you're stuck in the past. You said they are treated as way worse - I think they *were* treated as way worse at first. Not anymore, though. I haven't seen anyone (in the last year or so) make it seem like DmC was worse than it actually was.

6 The point is not that the swearing could've been better, the point was that Dante could've said anything else instead of the swearing. Anything else that was more entertaining. It doesn't have to be imaginative, it only has to be entertaining. The whole point of Dante's conversation with Poison is lost, because the conversation is not entertaining to listen to. Games are supposed to be entertaining. Repeating the words 'f*ck you' three times, and putting so much emphasis on it... I don't find that entertaining, it's just boring. Also, I do think you can measure unimaginativeness. Sure, everybody will have slightly different interpretations of what is unimaginative, but it's not completely subjective. But anyway, I already explained imaginativeness is not the point, so no need to elaborate on that.

7 I seriously haven't seen anyone in the last few weeks or months go into the DmC forums just to bash it. DmC in its entirety is also not the issue.
And maybe Innsmouth just isn't interested in sharing what he thought was great about DmC. I can understand that, because it has no apparent added value. Everybody already knows what DmC did well. Most of the time, when I see Innsmouth post something, it is in a thread that details what people *don't* like about DmC. Besides, the forum is about debating with other people. If there is nothing to debate and you can only agree with people, it's no fun. But who knows, maybe there's some truth to what you're saying. Still, that doesn't mean we're all the same as Innsmouth.

8 I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's almost like Dante only says 'f*ck you' because he is required to. He never seems to say it when he is genuinely p*ssed off - only when he 'feels like it'. And that is one of the problems: it comes across as unnatural. I don't mean wooden, but just unnatural. Especially when he's talking to a a demon whom he doesn't need any respect from. 'F*ck you' is something you usually say to someone when you're p*ssed off because you wanted your conversational partner to say something different or be more civil. Saying it to Poison doesn't make much sense, because he doesn't care about what she had to say in the first place.

9 Yeah, but that's the thing: new Dante doesn't seem to have anything to be truly angry about. Him saying ''I don't give a sh*t'' is a way to mask his real feelings: that he *does* give a sh*t. But that is exactly what doesn't make any sense, because Dante shouldn't care about what a bunch of evil demons think. And yet, he does? He cares what Poison says about him? Why would he want her approval?

10 Meh, that's the nature of opinions. It is very easy to find flaws where others see positive points. There's always two sides to a debate. One side might find 'malice' to be an interesting and innovative gameplay mechanic, while others find it boring. I happen to be the second: I feel like malice is a QTE in disguise, and it doesn't seem innovative to me either, because Final Fantasy 8 featured the same thing. It had a huge mechanical spider that chased you while a timer counted down. If the timer ended, you were dead. Malice seems essentially the same thing, because it kills you if you're not fast enough. The fact that the environment changes slightly is only an aesthetic bonus.

Later! And good luck! Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Yeah, but it's interesting because a lot of what ends up happening in the other forums is some shaky retaliation because of what DmC fans have gone through. It's a bit of a special case because of the raw deal DmC gets a lot of the time, and now the gunshy of the lot are sort of retroactively lashing out :/

Not saying it's right or anything, but there's a bit more to consider is all.
Exactly. The problem was that DmC never got much of a chance, I agree. Ever since the first few negative replies to DmC videos and the game itself, people have started holding grudges. Because let's be honest, there really was a lot of uncalled for lashing out by DMC fans. And in the last half year or so, I have noticed that it's really hard to talk to DmC fans about certain things, because they always seem to be preparing for a sh*tstorm from the people who prefer DMC. In the cases when we're trying to have a normal debate, that can really be a problem.

All I can say is, I have no bad intentions or anything. This stuff is just how I feel about it. I feel like DmC's dialog space could've been better used by introducing more interesting and more entertaining dialog. If somebody tries to use this debate as a means of bashing DmC or just being overly aggressive, then we should ignore them.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
2 ''it's that I would like some objective facts to support what is being said. Where did I say "I feel" or imply that it was opinion? Because that's not my intention at all.''

Right here: ''Quite a bit of things said to criticize DmC has been opinion tossed around as fact, and is usually rather debatable. Case in point: saying that the delivery of swearing was bad or useless.''

Oh, and here: ''That's sort of an overall problem with some of the criticism tossed at DmC. It's a lot of subjective and/or undefinable things that somehow just need to be taking at face value.''

Dunno what to tell you there, because those aren't me stating an opinion :x

Fact is that Dante could've said something else - something more interesting than just 'f*ck you'.

Well see, that's funny. It's a fact that, yeah he could have said anything else, that's the nature of options. He could have rubbed his stomach and said Floop-de-woop. The point is what other things could he have said that fit with his personality.

And the possibility of him saying anything else doesn't necessarily make what he did say uninteresting. Granted, why is it even supposed to be interesting in the first place? That seems an awful lot like holding it up against an expectation it shouldn't need to fulfill.

Writing it on a guest list after that is redundant and sort of eye-roll inducing for me.

And that's odd because you make it sound like there's a certain allotment the game was allowed for swearing. Like I said before, f#ck is a very malleable word, it can be used in a lot of ways, even as a variable :p

In this case, though, I think 'f*ck you' appearing three times in the game with such emphasis on it was just really lackluster. First said by Dante, then written on a guest list, then said by a random demon when Dante acted impolite. I just don't see the appeal in the word, especially when it gets overused.

The appeal isn't really in the word itself when you think about it. It's an old word, it's the impact that it has, y'know? Not even as some sort of "in your face" way, just simply it conveys emotion rather well, as does a lot of swearing.

4 That's just your interpretation of it. Nobody said or implied that all Dante ever says is 'f*ck you'. BUT it is possible that they used it as an example of DmC's occasionally awkward writing. It's also possible they use it as a way to represent how they feel ''DmC/Capcom screwed them over''. Many people were really angry about the fact that DMC was dropped like a brick and rebooted 'just like that'. At the time, I was too. They just dropped it and didn't even try to wrap up DMC's story.

While it was used for representing how they felt, there are a lot of images floating around that people made where it was made up as all Dante says.

5 ''the "mediocre" aspects of the game are treated as way worse than they really are because it's DmC.''
This may be another example of how you're stuck in the past. You said they are treated as way worse - I think they *were* treated as way worse at first. Not anymore, though. I haven't seen anyone (in the last year or so) make it seem like DmC was worse than it actually was.

Then you just aren't seeing the stuff I do, I guess. I dunno what to tell you.

The whole point of Dante's conversation with Poison is lost, because the conversation is not entertaining to listen to.

Dante's "conversation" with Poison helped emphasize the succubus' total vugarity, Dante simply responded in kind. I found it entertaining, because it was just so juvenile for Poison to do, considering she had just mentioned how old she was, as if it was some great thing. Also that she cared enough about her vanity to be insulted by Dante's remark of her looking way older.

And maybe Innsmouth just isn't interested in sharing what he thought was great about DmC.

And therein lies what I was talking about. For whatever reason, it just ends up seeming like all that matters is criticism, even if someone isn't some dyed in the wool dissenter. In essence, why do we constantly have to hear the bad? What about the good?

8 I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's almost like Dante only says 'f*ck you' because he is required to. He never seems to say it when he is genuinely p*ssed off - only when he 'feels like it'. And that is one of the problems: it comes across as unnatural. I don't mean wooden, but just unnatural. Especially when he's talking to a a demon whom he doesn't need any respect from. 'F*ck you' is something you usually say to someone when you're p*ssed off because you wanted your conversational partner to say something different or be more civil. Saying it to Poison doesn't make much sense, because he doesn't care about what she had to say in the first place.

There's a few other times in the game when he uses it to emphasize his anger or frustration. He uses it for disrespect more than anything. "Do you f#cking demons even feel pain?" and "another f#cking demon". You're sort of attributing your own ideal of how the word should be used for though, hence why you feel that way about the back and forth with Poison. But remember, Poison said it first because Dante said she looked really damn old, and then Dante just said it back, in a "no f#ck you," aaaaand then Poison vomits.

9 Yeah, but that's the thing: new Dante doesn't seem to have anything to be truly angry about. Him saying ''I don't give a sh*t'' is a way to mask his real feelings: that he *does* give a sh*t. But that is exactly what doesn't make any sense, because Dante shouldn't care about what a bunch of evil demons think. And yet, he does? He cares what Poison says about him? Why would he want her approval?

Nothing to be truly angry about? Do you not remember his background? Constantly hassled by demons since childhood, he didn't know who or what he was, living on the fringe unable to get close to people? He absolutely HATES demons, and they're just goddamn everywhere! Wouldn't you be rather ****ed off?

He hides and smothers that anger underneath his hedonistic lifestyle, he understood that one day he would finally give up the ghost to a bunch of demons, so he might as well live it up while he can. He says he doesn't give a sh!t because he didn't, he had no reason to care about anyone but himself because it wouldn't get him anything, and if he wasn't going to be around for very long, then what was the point in getting involved. Vergil was only able to get him in because he promised answers to all those questions he ignored with booze and sex.

10 Meh, that's the nature of opinions. It is very easy to find flaws where others see positive points. There's always two sides to a debate. One side might find 'malice' to be an interesting and innovative gameplay mechanic, while others find it boring. I happen to be the second: I feel like malice is a QTE in disguise, and it doesn't seem innovative to me either, because Final Fantasy 8 featured the same thing. It had a huge mechanical spider that chased you while a timer counted down. If the timer ended, you were dead. Malice seems essentially the same thing, because it kills you if you're not fast enough. The fact that the environment changes slightly is only an aesthetic bonus.

Oh man I remember that spider, the XATM-095! I got really good at evading that thing in the demo before the game even came out, haha.

I don't find Limbo and Malice to be entirely innovative either, but I love it because it allowed the normal environment like streets and buildings to become incredibly abstract to create way more stimulating levels, and some funny hazards.

Top Bottom