• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
A nice post but there's also something else to note; No one here is calling anyone stupid for liking something the other doesn't. This all pretty much started from me opening my mouth in saying "who cares if he says F you, it's just a word" and suddenly people argue.

To the bare minimum IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. Who cares if he says F you. It's just a game. But no one seems to understand that here.

That's all I wanna say.

Sorry, I think somewhere along the way, I forgot the point I was trying to make. :blush: But yes, agreed; people need to stop nitpicking over every little thing.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
No I mean people's reasoning for why the F word is considered for some odd reason taboo, while other swears have been said within the series.

There's no such thing as "natural" swearing in ANY form of media. You can legit say any other word besides a swear to anything. Instead of damn say darn and the like. But then again it doesn't matter because its just a game. If a game wants to throw around f yous then by all means that's just fine. What annoys me is that how can people say DmC uses f words badly, but yet they praise Prototype 2, GTA5, and a sh!t ton of other games use it even worse? I call that hypocritical. End of story.
- I already explained why that is. ToriJ also explained it quite well, and I even quoted her.

- Well, I wouldn't consider 'darn' to be a natural way to swear if you're genuinely p*ssed off. And games like GTA V get away with it because their uses of words like 'f*ck you' sound more natural. Many of the characters in the game are often genuinely p*ssed off, especially Trevor. New Dante, on the other hand, isn't really p*ssed off when he's talking to Poison. You can tell he just says 'f*ck you' because he thinks it's cool, or because he thinks 'that's just the way I am'. That kind of swearing is really lackluster to me, and ultimately sort of juvenile.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Actually it's the same. Vulgarity isn't most likable traits, so if they put it in there, following reaction was expected.

Not entirely true. Look at GTA5, No More Heroes, PROTOTYPE 2. Those games have a giant wad of vulgarity and they are still loved. They are drawn as the good guys or characters to play as despite their cussing. Like I said; hating a character that's suppose to be hated and hating a character whose good, but you personally hate them are different matters.

So what's the big deal with F** you being associated with DmC?

I don't know. It's like people have never heard a swear in video games and are whining about it daily when ever its mentioned.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
He didn't say you did hate it :/
Did you think he was referring specifically to you?
He was saying it generally, yes, but he was obviously implying we just dislike the 'f*ck you' line because 'we don't like DmC'. I like DmC, and I have no problem with its overall writing. He's making it seem like I'm trying to ''consistently make a video game look bad'' (his literal words).

So I don't like those kinds of backhanded replies.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That's low. Come on, I don't hate DmC. I quite like it, in fact. Nobody here said they hate DmC, so I have no idea why you're acting like they did. As far as I know, even Innsmouth likes DmC.

No, I didn't mean you, sorry. It's more of a general thing from all the lowest common denominators I've come across :/

...Or is it not okay to criticize DmC? So you're allowed to criticize DMC, but we're not allowed to do the same with DmC? Is that it?

Yeah, but it's a stupid reply, isn't it? You don't reply ''f*ck you'' to somebody who already said ''f*ck you'' to you. And even if you did, why would you take the time to curse out a demon like Poison? He's just gonna kill her right after that.

For one, I've had that similar exchange, and witnessed it, it's just a very easy to do, throw your insult back at you thing. It's very spur of the moment. And why is Dante bothering to insult Poison if he's just gonna kill her? Because Dante relishes in being standoffish and violent to demons.

Likewise, we could ask why it's okay for Dante in DMC3 to insult Cerberus before he fights them. Taunting is taunting, people do it for fun, and one congruent thing across both the classic and NT versions of Dante is that they like to have fun - it's one of their defining traits to be quite facetious.

Yeah, but writing 'f*ck you' on a guest list when he has already said it to Poison... it's just repetitive and doesn't even make much sense.

You make it sound as if the game was allotted a certain number of f#cks, and they used them up on the encounter with Poison :x "F#ck you" is a very malleable phrase, too, and him writing it on the list was his response to "you're not on the list". In effect, the bouncer's "Go away," is met with "F#ck you".

- *So this IS an argument of ''you're not a writer, so you can't criticize DmC's writing''. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry, man. We are all unworthy. All hail the great Ninja Theory.

That is not at all what I am saying. However, any criticism does require a certain amount of knowledge to back up what you're criticizing something for. There are certain times when it's just really damn obvious that delivery of lines is horrible, like the original PSX version of Resident Evil, but Dmc's delivery is no where near as bad or as campy as that. Heck, it's not even nearly as campy as some of DMC1's most campy moments.

DragonMaster2010

- I already explained why that is. ToriJ also explained it quite well, and I even quoted her.

But even so, it's still a lame excuse.

- Well, I wouldn't consider 'darn' to be a natural way to swear if you're genuinely p*ssed off. And games like GTA V get away with it because their uses of words like 'f*ck you' sound more natural. Many of the characters in the game are often genuinely p*ssed off, especially Trevor. New Dante, on the other hand, isn't really p*ssed off when he's talking to Poison. You can tell he just says 'f*ck you' because he thinks it's cool, or because he thinks 'that's just the way I am'. That kind of swearing is really lackluster to me, and ultimately sort of juvenile.

Please, GTA5 has just as much unnecessary swearing as DmC does. Even more so then DmC. I still feel it an excuse for some people to just say DmC isn't as good as DMC because it's different. Again who. cares if he says f you. Its just a word, like I've been saying for the longest time in this thread.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Not entirely true. Look at GTA5, No More Heroes, PROTOTYPE 2. Those games have a giant wad of vulgarity and they are still loved. They are drawn as the good guys or characters to play as despite their cussing. Like I said; hating a character that's suppose to be hated and hating a character whose good, but you personally hate them are different matters.
True, but i don't think those people had any problem with cussing in DmC. Personally I had much more problem in Prototype 2 where it become one of the main character traits.

I don't know. It's like people have never heard a swear in video games and are whining about it daily when ever its mentioned.
I think main problem really was, that they putted this footage as very first representative for the game boss. If they chose Bob, or Killer Face, or Hunter I think it wouldn't received such backlash, since many probably came to conclusion that DmC will have writing of Prototype 2, where poor guy couldn't express himself without swearing.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Please, GTA5 has just as much unnecessary swearing as DmC does. Even more so then DmC. I still feel it an excuse for some people to just say DmC isn't as good as DMC because it's different. Again who. cares if he says f you. Its just a word, like I've been saying for the longest time in this thread.
Again, you didn't read my original comment well enough. The problem is not that the swearing is unnecessary, it is that it sounds unnatural. Feigned. Also, DmC doesn't have that much dialog, so I think it's a shame that some of the dialog was wasted on something as uninteresting and lackluster as 'f*ck you'.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel

''But even so, it's a lame excuse''. And... why? Because you don't like it? Seriously, you can keep reiterating that, but you're not giving any arguments. So... thanks for your input, but I won't be continuing this debate.

DragonMaster2010

True, but i don't think those people had any problem with cussing in DmC. Personally I had much more problem in Prototype 2 where it become one of the main character traits.

Obviously they did if that's the biggest point they keep bringing up.

I think main problem really was, that they putted this footage as very first representative for the game boss. If they chose Bob, or Killer Face, or Hunter I think it wouldn't received such backlash, since many probably came to conclusion that DmC will have writing of Prototype 2, where poor guy couldn't express himself without swearing.

Okay, I see what you're saying. Still, I feel it outlandish that people get so uppity over the F word like they've never heard it before. If we're use to Nero saying "go blow yourself" and flip the bird, we should be mature enough to handle the F word.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Eh, I think you just being paranoid there. nobody "seek" anything. It's either like or dislike certain elements, make people pass judgment. If this judgment isn't same as yours, it doesn't mean anyone are trying to undermine game.

RIGHT! So I just imagined three years of people who followed Capcom and Ninja Theory sources like articles and videos specifically to make their displeasure known, on several occasions seeing the exact same users in every. Single. Comment section.

Don't be a fool.

Well sorry to tell you but expressing dislike when ask is arrogant bull. IT's like asking somebody not to praise something and stfu until asked.

When asked, so to speak, that when someone brings it up to you. Seeking it out and hanging around places specifically where it is brought up is goddamn insane.

Well maybe because it's that thing called social forum, where people used to communicate to each other, and express their opinion, both negative and positive, without being obliged to anyone to keep their mouth shut ;)

Haaaaaaahahahahah oh noes, you got me. No wait, no you didn't. Any normal person won't hang around a place when they don't care for the discussion or the topic going on there. Case in point; my football and squaredancing analogies. Public forum is great and what discourse is for, but again, actively seeking out what does not interest you is a sign of selfishness.

DragonMaster2010

Again, you didn't read my original comment well enough. The problem is not that the swearing is unnecessary, it is that it sounds unnatural. Feigned. Also, DmC doesn't have that much dialog, so I think it's a shame that some of the dialog was wasted on something as uninteresting and lackluster as 'f*ck you'.

But again; Who the hell cares? It's a game. Period. It's just mindless fun with an interesting story to tell. Who cares about how the swears are used?

''But even so, it's a lame excuse''. And... why? Because you don't like it? Seriously, you can keep reiterating that, but you're not giving any arguments. So... thanks for your input, but I won't be continuing this debate.

Then I'll say this. What's not an excuse is to like the swearing and vulgarity of other games, but DmC suddenly can't do it. THAT is just hypocritical. "Swearing is fine with me and I love it in g-WHAT DmC HAS CUSSING?! HATE IT!"

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
No, I didn't mean you, sorry. It's more of a general thing from all the lowest common denominators I've come across :/

For one, I've had that similar exchange, and witnessed it, it's just a very easy to do, throw your insult back at you thing. It's very spur of the moment.

You make it sound as if the game was allotted a certain number of f#cks, and they used them up on the encounter with Poison :x "F#ck you" is a very malleable phrase, too, and him writing it on the list was his response to "you're not on the list". In effect, the bouncer's "Go away," is met with "F#ck you".
Well, it sure sounded like you were saying that we were ''consistently trying to make a video game (DmC) look bad''. Quote:

it is laughable, just as, if not more laughable than people unable or unwilling to let go of their dislike of something. It's laughable that some people can have so little to their lives that they will keep coming back to sh!t on something, that they would devote time and energy to trying to consistently make a video game look bad.

So I'm sorry you were apparently traumatized by the amount of criticism towards DmC in the past, but that's none of my concern.

- Sure, but this is a video game. It was written by a writer or possibly team of writers. I feel that if they had the chance to come up with something better, they should've taken that chance.

- Not at all. But you have to admit that overusing a word can make a game very tiresome. I get that he only used 'f*ck you' twice, but that's not the point. The point is that he arguably could've written or said something more imaginative, and that his reason for saying 'f*ck you' is not apparently because he was p*ssed, but because he thought it was 'cool' or because he 'felt like it'. I don't know, it just makes me sad that 'f*ck you' was given so much emphasis. It's just filler, really.

I'm not going to debate that it was not as campy as DMC1. That was not the subject, and we all know DMC1 is campy as hell, and is pretty much like that on purpose. So you can't compare the two.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
But again; Who the hell cares? It's a game. Period. It's just mindless fun with an interesting story to tell. Who cares about how the swears are used?

Then I'll say this. What's not an excuse is to like the swearing and vulgarity of other games, but DmC suddenly can't do it. THAT is just hypocritical. "Swearing is fine with me and I love it in g-WHAT DmC HAS CUSSING?! HATE IT!"
- I do. I care about all of the game's dialog. I would like it to make sense, and if possible, to be imaginative. Saying the words 'f*ck you' as though it has magical power or something isn't very interesting. Writing it on a guest list after that is just redundant. It comes across as exposition. We all knew what Dante was like at that point, but it's almost like the game continues with its exposition up to the point of annoying redundancy.

- Yeah, but again, that was not the issue. You're getting upset about something nobody said or feels. Well, something nobody said or feels on this forum, anyway.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
RIGHT! So I just imagined three years of people who followed Capcom and Ninja Theory sources like articles and videos specifically to make their displeasure known, on several occasions seeing the exact same users in every. Single. Comment section.
Well so maybe you just need to get over it? I won't run all over internet attacking anyone who dislikes what I like.
If some people want to participate in screaming contest, do you really need to stumble to their level only to check who screams louder?

When asked, so to speak, that when someone brings it up to you. Seeking it out and hanging around places specifically where it is brought up is goddamn insane.
I think you defended game so long, that you basically attack any shadow. As for "brings up to you" it's basically like say "don't speak till asked". Sorry it's borders with oppressing point of view.

Haaaaaaahahahahah oh noes, you got me. No wait, no you didn't. Any normal person won't hang around a place when they don't care for the discussion or the topic going on there. Case in point; my football and squaredancing analogies. Public forum is great and what discourse is for, but again, actively seeking out what does not interest you is a sign of selfishness.
This is still public forum of franchise, not public forum of DmC. Also if this is your logic it won't stops people who hate DMC4 to hang around it's board. So why don't you go and tell them not to? Oh, wait, I know, it's not about DmC. As for stadium it's really bad point, since it's more than often fans of one team booing it's oponents. and if you try to attack them...well I knew few hardcore football fans and they are not very nice people, so it's probably would end up with a fight

DragonMaster2010

- I do. I care about all of the game's dialog. I would like it to make sense, and if possible, to be imaginative. Saying the words 'f*ck you' as though it has magical power or something isn't very interesting. Writing it on a guest list after that is just redundant. It comes across as exposition. We all knew what Dante was like at that point, but it's almost like the game continues with its exposition up to the point of annoying redundancy.
The same can be said for a lot of games with swears. A lot of games do this but they get plenty praise for the same, if not, worse use of swears as DmC. I can understand if you care for game dialog, but I still feel as though...it doesn't matter. Because swears in bare minimum are just words.

- Yeah, but again, that was not the issue. You're getting upset about something nobody said or feels. Well, something nobody said or feels on this forum, anyway.
I'm not upset. This all started with me stating an opinion and then people losing their pants on it. I simply stated F you is just a word and has no importance to whether a games good or not.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
The same can be said for a lot of games with swears. A lot of games do this but they get plenty praise for the same, if not, worse use of swears as DmC. I can understand if you care for game dialog, but I still feel as though...it doesn't matter. Because swears in bare minimum are just words.
Well that's were problem started. In bare minimum it's just words, but I think it was mistake to put this footage early on. People judge everything on it's cover, so if promotion puts F* you early on, many people assume that it would be much more than bare minimum.

DragonMaster2010

Well that's were problem started. In bare minimum it's just words, but I think it was mistake to put this footage early on. People judge everything on it's cover, so if promotion puts F* you early on, many people assume that it would be much more than bare minimum.

No I meant bare minimum as in when you boil down to it, the F word is just a word. Plus that goes back to what I said before. There are plenty other games that have the same, if not, worse swearing as DmC and their first impression WAS swearing but they were met with good words from gamers.

Top Bottom