• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
But in my opinion, it's really not even a big deal. People cuss, so what? We've seen cussing in media for years. And for people to lose their sh!ts over Dante saying the F word is a bit embarrassing. However this fanbase has had its embarrassing moments from both sides, but for me it's sad how people will say because nDante cusses he's now a bad character, but will love and praise games that have even more unneeded cursing then DmC. Not only is it hypocritical, but it's just stupid.

I mean if you play an "M" rated game, what exactly do you expect? profanity is nothing new in the Devil May Cry series, and for people to get all uppity over the F-word finally finding its way into the series (Even though it was used in the anime first) is ridiculous.

DragonMaster2010

Nothing relevant was said at all and it was just Dante making some weird "prom date" joke. In all the other boss fights, we learn something important about the story but the dialogue in the Succubus fight was just... icky.

Yeah that is true.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The 'f you' being considered stupid was not because ''waaaah! swearing bad!'' That's not it at all.

''There were several instances throughout the game where characters swore, and not just with the F word. A lot of the time when curses were used they felt forced and poorly written with some other dialog.''

^This. It's clear that Ninja Theory wanted the game to be cool and gritty, but they overdid it. Dante said f*ck you once, then wrote it on a guest list, and a demon said f*ck you to Dante once as well. That's three 'f*ck you's - two of which could've been replaced by better dialog. I get the sense that they wanted new Dante to be witty too. The only problem is, they're treating 'f*ck you' as though it's some kind of one-liner. It's not. Instead of actually coming up with good lines, they threw in some f*ck yous for shock value. And then there was that weird nonsensical ''I'm your prom date''.

So, I think people take 'f*ck you' as an example of the game's worst dialog. F*ck you, along with ''I will rip open his chest and feast on his heart'' and ''I'm your prom date'' are prime examples of awkward and sometimes nonsensical writing.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The problem with that, is that it's a rather organic way of speaking to quite a few people and groups in society, and swearing is very often used emphatically.

The silliest of this jazz is all the complaints of poorly written or acted dialogue when it could be said with a fair bit of accuracy that no one could have done better, and it talking out of their butts. These are highly skilled actors and the script was supervised by an award-winning writer; chances are people are whining more about it not being nearly as campy as what they're used to with DMC, and then also lambasting the game when it does throw in a bit of camp for nostalgia.

About the only thing in DmC that felt horribly written and sounded terrible was Dante's scream while he was falling with Mundus, and his "Nooooooo" when Vergil got pulled into mega-Mundus. Oh, and Poison's talking-turned-vomming, but that's just an awkward thing to do in general.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Nothing relevant was said at all and it was just Dante making some weird "prom date" joke. In all the other boss fights, we learn something important about the story but the dialogue in the Succubus fight was just... icky.
Maybe that's because all the relevant things about Succubus and the factory were already said and showed in the previous segments? You know, with Kat and all.
Then the fight itself was just Dante making fun of the boss.
And since when is swearing just for "shock value"? Dante is basically a teenager, and people of this age swear a lot, that is it. Also, he's not a lighthearted character to come up with "alternative" swears like classic Dante.
People seem to focus on the times Dante swears and ignore the good pieces of dialogue he's got in the game (when interacting with Vergil and Kat for example), or ACTUAL one-liners he's got that are actually pretty funny.
Oh, and Poison's talking-turned-vomming, but that's just an awkward thing to do in general.
I for one found that hilarious.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Dante is supposedly like 20-ish in DmC, according to Tameem. He said 16-17 was too low.

The weird claim I'm bothered by is the supposed need for every single bit of dialogue to be informative in some way, or that it has to follow some stringent structure where a boss fight offers some enlightenment. Why does that exist? What is the point of that? How the f#ck can someone complain about that?

I for one found that hilarious.

It was chuckle-worthy itself, but the delivery was "meh" because those deliveries are almost always "meh" unless the actor really gets into it >.<

DragonMaster2010

The 'f you' being considered stupid was not because ''waaaah! swearing bad!'' That's not it at all.

''There were several instances throughout the game where characters swore, and not just with the F word. A lot of the time when curses were used they felt forced and poorly written with some other dialog.''

^This. It's clear that Ninja Theory wanted the game to be cool and gritty, but they overdid it. Dante said f*ck you once, then wrote it on a guest list, and a demon said f*ck you to Dante once as well. That's three 'f*ck you's - two of which could've been replaced by better dialog. I get the sense that they wanted new Dante to be witty too. The only problem is, they're treating 'f*ck you' as though it's some kind of one-liner. It's not. Instead of actually coming up with good lines, they threw in some f*ck yous for shock value. And then there was that weird nonsensical ''I'm your prom date''.

So, I think people take 'f*ck you' as an example of the game's worst dialog. F*ck you, along with ''I will rip open his chest and feast on his heart'' and ''I'm your prom date'' are prime examples of awkward and sometimes nonsensical writing.

I'm sorry, but to me, that sounds like an excuse.

To me f you is just a word. A word that means nothing but entertaining movie talk. Yeah we use it in real life but for a game such as this its not used as insulting. At DmC's bare minimum, it's just a game. A game that has fun doing and saying what it wants with no restraints to hold it back. And that's why I still say its completely ridiculous that people are getting so up in the ass about Dante saying f you like their virgin ears can't handle such profanity. So he said it more then once, who cares? Its just a game. If people can't have fun saying cuss words in an M rated game, then what's the point? What, did people expect him to say duck you or tuck you?
This isn't classic Dante, and this isn't DMC where they follow the cartoon/anime superhero rules of Superman or Batman. This is nDante and this is DmC where they say to hell with watching my language. DmC follows the Western/gruge/punk atmospheric rules of Hellblazer or V for Vendetta.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So if whole scene was to show nDante as vulgar punk, why people get angry, when he treated as one?
And if F** you is just word, why once again people angry when it gets related to DmC.
In the end it's nothing but result of trailer decision, so if somebody is to blame is the one who decided to put it in the early promotional material.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It's that some people are coming off as oversensitive about Dante's filterless speech when they complain about some expletives. Worse is when it's a double-standard because people play, and love, other games with similar vulgarity.

Why do people get angry about "f#ck you" when it's related to DmC? Because it's another element with which to form a shallow criticism for. Things that would be overlooked or disregarded in other games is being played up as some great injustice to all.

And so it's Ninja Theory's fault for having content authentic to someone with an attitude such as Dante's? Why is it the game's job to censor itself from bad language? Why is it not the responsibility of the consumer to be wary of the content owing to a game's Mature rating?

You know what would have been more stupid and insulting? A character marketed as living a hard life and possessing an abrasive personality who says "oh fudge!" or "jiminy jillickers!" instead of swearing like a normal f#cking human being.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
They made promotional. They decided to promote it with vulgarity. Well truth is not everyone fond of vulgarity
so once again, they choose tone, not everyone is fond of it. If somebody angry that not everyone likes tone well, I think it' changes nothing, since it won't make anyone like it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Complaining about the tone of a story involving a very angry, sometimes vulgar guy violently hunting demons is like complaining about the sky being blue.

Promotion doesn't matter. If someone doesn't like something, it's up to them to quit their b!tching and go look somewhere else. Normal people tend to avoid sh!t they don't like.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well b*tching about b*tching is pretty much the same. So whole complaint that people didn't liked F* you episode for what it was is laughable.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The problem with that, is that it's a rather organic way of speaking to quite a few people and groups in society, and swearing is very often used emphatically.

The silliest of this jazz is all the complaints of poorly written or acted dialogue when it could be said with a fair bit of accuracy that no one could have done better, and it talking out of their butts. These are highly skilled actors and the script was supervised by an award-winning writer; chances are people are whining more about it not being nearly as campy as what they're used to with DMC, and then also lambasting the game when it does throw in a bit of camp for nostalgia.

About the only thing in DmC that felt horribly written and sounded terrible was Dante's scream while he was falling with Mundus, and his "Nooooooo" when Vergil got pulled into mega-Mundus. Oh, and Poison's talking-turned-vomming, but that's just an awkward thing to do in general.

- It's not organic if you just throw it around as though it has no meaning. The whole f*ck you battle between him and Poison hardly made sense, and it's nice that he wrote f*ck you on a guest list, but it's not exactly imaginative. It's just poor writing when you consider they could've come up with something better.

- ''No one could have done better''? Who are you talking about? The people playing the game? Are you seriously using the argument of ''let me see you do better''? We're not actors, we're the consumers. That doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about! This is just as stupid a reply as ''you can't review this game's writing because you're not a writer''. The hell we can't.

- Opinion. I don't deal in 100% opinions.

''It's that some people are coming off as oversensitive about Dante's filterless speech when they complain about some expletives.''

I already explained it's not about the cursing. Nobody actually thinks cursing is unacceptable. If they do, they need to get with the times and stop living in the 1950s.

Top Bottom