• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So how come "f you" is the first thing people use

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I'm sorry, but to me, that sounds like an excuse.

To me f you is just a word. A word that means nothing but entertaining movie talk. Yeah we use it in real life but for a game such as this its not used as insulting. At DmC's bare minimum, it's just a game. A game that has fun doing and saying what it wants with no restraints to hold it back. And that's why I still say its completely ridiculous that people are getting so up in the ass about Dante saying f you like their virgin ears can't handle such profanity. So he said it more then once, who cares? Its just a game. If people can't have fun saying cuss words in an M rated game, then what's the point? What, did people expect him to say duck you or tuck you?
This isn't classic Dante, and this isn't DMC where they follow the cartoon/anime superhero rules of Superman or Batman. This is nDante and this is DmC where they say to hell with watching my language. DmC follows the Western/gruge/punk atmospheric rules of Hellblazer or V for Vendetta.
What would I be excusing? The word 'excuse' doesn't make sense here. This is my opinion, not an excuse.
If you read my comment thoroughly, you'll see that my point is not that 'cursing is not okay'. IT IS. If anything, I'd love to see characters curse much more in games than they do now. It's a natural way of talking when you're p*ssed off. Except in DmC it didn't come across as natural. That's my point. There are right and wrong times to say certain things, and when it gets used as though it is supposed to be a profound line, that's when I get annoyed. In DmC, 'f*ck you' is used like filler. I don't know, I just get the sense that Dante thinks it's cool to swear. As though swear words hold some secret power, when in fact it lacks imagination.

Last edited:

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
eh..no he didn't. He just showed what emo is.
Actually, he did compare Dante to an emo singer. That was his whole point. But Dante is in no way emo, so I certainly don't agree with Angry Joe there. Although I do agree that the first scene or so in the game (the one with him looking to see if he still had a heart) was incredibly contrived. Just facepalm-inducingly cliché and melodramatic.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Actually, he did compare Dante to an emo singer. That was his whole point. But Dante is in no way emo, so I certainly don't agree with Angry Joe there. Although I do agree that the first scene or so in the game (the one with him looking to see if he still had a heart) was incredibly contrived. Just facepalm-inducingly cliché and melodramatic.
I think he said in the end something like that new Dante is nowhere as bad as that terrible Emo singer, and this emo singer is some really terrible stuff. I think he just showed how exaggerated were opinions of people

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I think he said in the end something like that new Dante is nowhere as bad as that terrible Emo singer, and this emo singer is some really terrible stuff. I think he just showed how exaggerated were opinions of people
Oh, that's actually possible. I don't quite remember how his video ended, but now that you mention it, you may be right.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well b*tching about b*tching is pretty much the same. So whole complaint that people didn't liked F* you episode for what it was is laughable.

You're right, it is laughable, just as, if not more laughable than people unable or unwilling to let go of their dislike of something. It's laughable that some people can have so little to their lives that they will keep coming back to sh!t on something, that they would devote time and energy to trying to consistently make a video game look bad.

- It's not organic if you just throw it around as though it has no meaning.

Now this is curious, because where is it ever thrown around in a way that it could have no meaning? It's used emphatically ("he's a f#cking demon) and as an expletive (yelling out "ow f#ck!"). It's not like they just sorta go around saying it randomly without any context.

The whole f*ck you battle between him and Poison hardly made sense,

He made a joke about how she looks really damn old, so she'd replied with an angry "F#ck you!", to which Dante replies with pretty much a "no f#ck you!" Makes sense to me. He was just constantly insulting her, using the level of vulgarity she displayed herself :p

and it's nice that he wrote f*ck you on a guest list, but it's not exactly imaginative. It's just poor writing when you consider they could've come up with something better.

The joke itself of writing on a guest list you're not on is old hat, which can be seen as unimaginative, but it's not necessarily bad because of that.

I don't really care for him writing "f#ck you" on the list, though, it would have been much better for him to just write his name.

- ''No one could have done better''? Who are you talking about? The people playing the game? Are you seriously using the argument of ''let me see you do better''? We're not actors, we're the consumers. That doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about! This is just as stupid a reply as ''you can't review this game's writing because you're not a writer''. The hell we can't.

It's armchair critiquing about something that people only have a cursory knowledge of with which to criticize, and with so many other factors that distort impressions. It's also attributing a vague criticism to justify the dislike of the swearing as "oh, it's just delivered badly". But no, it's not delivered badly, nor is it used sans context.

I already explained it's not about the cursing. Nobody actually thinks cursing is unacceptable. If they do, they need to get with the times and stop living in the 1950s.

It's not that it's unacceptable in some conservative, "my virgin ears" way, it's that some people complain that it's unacceptable that the swearing is in the game, as if it's unnecessary and unwanted, despite how it works within the confines of making the narrative more believable.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You're right, it is laughable, just as, if not more laughable than people unable or unwilling to let go of their dislike of something. It's laughable that some people can have so little to their lives that they will keep coming back to sh!t on something, that they would devote time and energy to trying to consistently make a video game look bad.
Hating on people who dislike game is worse than people who dislike game. It borders with those people who think somebody is bad just because he likes DmC.
As for "let go of" dislike ...eh. nobody should do it, if they don't want to. If somebody disliked something, I see 0 problem with saying it. Nobody obliged to like anything. And they can do it for whatever reason they want to. If vulgarity is reason why some people find in unattractive it's only natural.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Although I do agree that the first scene or so in the game (the one with him looking to see if he still had a heart) was incredibly contrived. Just facepalm-inducingly cliché and melodramatic.

Contrived, how? Dante was consistently tortured by demons and he knew for a damn long time he wasn't human. Depression sinks in, you start to really wonder about yourself, and think "hey, am I human-looking on the inside?" I won't argue that its melodramatic, but it was not without context.

Part of Dante's shtick was the disenfranchised youth, and more than just feeling like he doesn't belong, they also show a glimpse that he had some other pathos that he dealt with about himself. Just in the same way people cut themselves in order to feel something because depression makes them completely numb, Dante tears into his own chest to see just how deep his human-looking facade goes.

Again, not saying it ain't melodramatic as all get out, but it's not contrived. It's rather close to something some people do themselves. Is it stupid of them to? Sure, but depression makes people do some really rough stuff sometimes.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So if whole scene was to show nDante as vulgar punk, why people get angry, when he treated as one?

Don't play that bullshit. There's a difference between hating a game character for your own personal reason and hating a character because he's created to be hated.

And if F** you is just word, why once again people angry when it gets related to DmC.
\
Virgin. ears.

In the end it's nothing but result of trailer decision, so if somebody is to blame is the one who decided to put it in the early promotional material.
That may be the case, however that comes back to other trailers that had even more swearing and worse use of the f word but no one bats an eye to those. Why? Because people can't handle the fact that DmC has decided to be M rated and ad the f word to the dictionary of DMC's other swear words.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Hating on people who dislike game is worse than people who dislike game. It borders with those people who think somebody is bad just because he likes DmC.
As for "let go of" dislike ...eh. nobody should do it, if they don't want to.

It very quickly veers out of "hating on people who dislike a game" and into hating people who seek out what they don't like, instead of doing the normal and way more productive thing of getting the hell on with their life.

If somebody disliked something, I see 0 problem with saying it. Nobody obliged to like anything. And they can do it for whatever reason they want to. If vulgarity is reason why some people find in unattractive it's only natural.

It's perfectly fine for someone to dislike something, everyone has tastes, and it's perfectly fine for someone to express their dislike - when asked. Expressly seeking out what you hate so that you can spew your dislike on others is the problem. Period.

You don't pay for front row 50-yard line seats to a football game and then spend the entire game forcing people seated around you to listen to how much you just f#cking hate football.

In this regard, generally, if you don't like DmC, why the hell are you anywhere near the DmC-side of a forum? Why would you willingly put up with discussion about something you don't like? The question always begged, really.

I hate squaredancing with an undying passion, but you don't see me on squaredancingenthusiasts.org spouting an endless waterfall of vitriolic sewage from my mouth. Why? Because what the f#ck would be the point?!

DragonMaster2010

What would I be excusing? The word 'excuse' doesn't make sense here. This is my opinion, not an excuse.

No I mean people's reasoning for why the F word is considered for some odd reason taboo, while other swears have been said within the series.

If you read my comment thoroughly, you'll see that my point is not that 'cursing is not okay'. IT IS. If anything, I'd love to see characters curse much more in games than they do now. It's a natural way of talking when you're p*ssed off. Except in DmC it didn't come across as natural. That's my point. There are right and wrong times to say certain things, and when it gets used as though it is supposed to be a profound line, that's when I get annoyed. In DmC, 'f*ck you' is used like filler. I don't know, I just get the sense that Dante thinks it's cool to swear. As though swear words hold some secret power, when in fact it lacks imagination.

There's no such thing as "natural" swearing in ANY form of media. You can legit say any other word besides a swear to anything. Instead of damn say darn and the like. But then again it doesn't matter because its just a game. If a game wants to throw around f yous then by all means that's just fine. What annoys me is that how can people say DmC uses f words badly, but yet they praise Prototype 2, GTA5, and a sh!t ton of other games use it even worse? I call that hypocritical. End of story.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Many a-good point has been made, here. The swearing, in and of itself, really wasn't the issue. Okay, granted, at the beginning a lot of people grasped at whatever straws they could to find fault with DmC when it first came out. Try as I might, I can't give myself over to it; however, I'm nowhere near as vehement about it as I once was. I don't like it, but I feel no animosity towards those who do.

Now, as to other people still feeling that way? Let's have a think on it, ladies and gents, and you know I love you all (I'm incapable of hating anyone here--curious, that), but of those of you who wholeheartedly love DmC, those of you who engage in these verbal arguments often--please, tell me this:

If the shoe were on the other foot (and I know it has been, but please, bear with me), and you were constantly dealing with someone telling you over and over again why you're stupid for not liking what they like--how quick would you be to give in? This isn't an attack, but an honest question of human reaction. Say you do, in some private way, realize the product isn't as bad as you once thought; this doesn't mean you were "wrong" in your earlier interpretation, but rather that you've had a slight change of heart. Now, if you were to admit it out loud, you knew it would be met with a resounding, pretentious declaration of, "I told you so's" from the people belittling you for resisting the product, people who assume you're acknowledging that they were "right", when in truth, there is no "right" or "wrong" when matters of opinions are involved.

If anything, I agree with @Meg: When people are constantly looking to pick a fight over what they like or don't like, it's only natural for those on the opposite side to decide, "You know what? Screw you; I might have given it a shot, I might have at least reached a state of neutrality about it, but since you feel the need to keep shoving it in my face, forget it!"

*Puts hands up placatingly* Now, no one shoot the messenger: I'm just saying, that's probably why these debates go round and round; because people are too busy viewing things like this in black and white. Just my guess. ^^;

Reactions: Meg

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel

He made a joke about how she looks really damn old, so she'd replied with an angry "F#ck you!", to which Dante replies with pretty much a "no f#ck you!" Makes sense to me. He was just constantly insulting her, using the level of vulgarity she displayed herself :p

The joke itself of writing on a guest list you're not on is old hat, which can be seen as unimaginative, but it's not necessarily bad because of that.

It's armchair critiquing about something that people only have a cursory knowledge of with which to criticize, and with so many other factors that distort impressions. It's also attributing a vague criticism to justify the dislike of the swearing as "oh, it's just delivered badly". But no, it's not delivered badly, nor is it used sans context.

It's not that it's unacceptable in some conservative, "my virgin ears" way, it's that some people complain that it's unacceptable that the swearing is in the game, as if it's unnecessary and unwanted, despite how it works within the confines of making the narrative more believable.
That's low. Come on, I don't hate DmC. I quite like it, in fact. Nobody here said they hate DmC, so I have no idea why you're acting like they did. As far as I know, even Innsmouth likes DmC.
...Or is it not okay to criticize DmC? So you're allowed to criticize DMC, but we're not allowed to do the same with DmC? Is that it?

Yeah, but it's a stupid reply, isn't it? You don't reply ''f*ck you'' to somebody who already said ''f*ck you'' to you. And even if you did, why would you take the time to curse out a demon like Poison? He's just gonna kill her right after that.

Yeah, but writing 'f*ck you' on a guest list when he has already said it to Poison... it's just repetitive and doesn't even make much sense. If he was ''not on the list'', he should have written his name on the list, then thrown it on the bouncer's unconscious face, not write 'f*ck you'. Anything would've been better. Even furiously hitting the guest list with the Arbiter would've been better. Might even be funny.

- *So this IS an argument of ''you're not a writer, so you can't criticize DmC's writing''. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry, man. We are all unworthy. All hail the great Ninja Theory.

I haven't heard anyone complain that the game included cursing. If they really have nothing better to do than whine about how 'cursing is unacceptable', they must be severely Christian or something. But yeah, two of the times Dante cursed, it was unnecessary. It wasn't unacceptable, but it was unnecessary and sort of awkward.

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

Ok, I've watched every cutscene in the game again and I must say, every time a character has swore it has been for a reason.
As in, if a normal person were put into the same circumstances they would swear just as much, if not more so.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Don't play that bullshit. There's a difference between hating a game character for your own personal reason and hating a character because he's created to be hated.
Actually it's the same. Vulgarity isn't most likable traits, so if they put it in there, following reaction was expected.

Virgin. ears.
So what's the big deal with F** you being associated with DmC?

That may be the case, however that comes back to other trailers that had even more swearing and worse use of the f word but no one bats an eye to those. Why? Because people can't handle the fact that DmC has decided to be M rated and ad the f word to the dictionary of DMC's other swear words.
Uh, don't think so. I think people who disliked it in DmC, won't like it in other games too. Example: I don't like it in DmC, and I don't like it in Prototype 2, where it was even worse.
It very quickly veers out of "hating on people who dislike a game" and into hating people who seek out what they don't like, instead of doing the normal and way more productive thing of getting the hell on with their life.
Eh, I think you just being paranoid there. nobody "seek" anything. It's either like or dislike certain elements, make people pass judgment. If this judgment isn't same as yours, it doesn't mean anyone are trying to undermine game.

It's perfectly fine for someone to dislike something, everyone has tastes, and it's perfectly fine for someone to express their dislike - when asked. Expressly seeking out what you hate so that you can spew your dislike on others is the problem. Period.
Well sorry to tell you but expressing dislike when ask is arrogant bull. IT's like asking somebody not to praise something and stfu until asked.

I hate squaredancing with an undying passion, but you don't see me on squaredancingenthusiasts.org spouting an endless waterfall of vitriolic sewage from my mouth. Why? Because what the f#ck would be the point?!
Well maybe because it's that thing called social forum, where people used to communicate to each other, and express their opinion, both negative and positive, without being obliged to anyone to keep their mouth shut ;)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I greatly agree with what @TWOxACROSS said, though; I would prefer if people didn't go out of their way to deliberately slam what they don't like, while in the presence of those who do like it. I've seen it happen on all sides of this forum, and I've vocalized my disgust of it a fair number of times for that reason. It's not about what I like vs. what someone else likes--it's about common courtesy. You don't walk into someone else's house, and take a sh*t on their carpet, right?

Exejpgwmv

That's low. Come on, I don't hate DmC. I quite like it, in fact. Nobody here said they hate DmC, so I have no idea why you're acting like they did. As far as I know, even Innsmouth likes DmC.
...Or is it not okay to criticize DmC? So you're allowed to criticize DMC, but we're not allowed to do the same with DmC? Is that it?

Yeah, but it's a stupid reply, isn't it? You don't reply ''f*ck you'' to somebody who already said ''f*ck you'' to you. And even if you did, why would you take the time to curse out a demon like Poison? He's just gonna kill her right after that.

Yeah, but writing 'f*ck you' on a guest list when he has already said it to Poison... it's just repetitive and doesn't even make much sense. If he was ''not on the list'', he should have written his name on the list, then thrown it on the bouncer's unconscious face, not write 'f*ck you'. Anything would've been better. Even hitting the guest list with the Arbiter would've been better. Might even be funny.

- *So this IS an argument of ''you're not a writer, so you can't criticize DmC's writing''. Well, thanks for clearing that up. Sorry, man. We are all unworthy. All hail the great Ninja Theory.

I haven't heard anyone complain that the game included cursing. If they really have nothing better to do than whine about how 'cursing is unacceptable', they must be severely Christian or something. But yeah, two of the times Dante cursed, it was unnecessary. It wasn't unacceptable, but it was unnecessary and sort of awkward.
He didn't say you did hate it :/
Did you think he was referring specifically to you?

DragonMaster2010

If the shoe were on the other foot (and I know it has been, but please, bear with me), and you were constantly dealing with someone telling you over and over again why you're stupid for not liking what they like--how quick would you be to give in? This isn't an attack, but an honest question of human reaction. Say you do, in some private way, realize the product isn't as bad as you once thought; this doesn't mean you were "wrong" in your earlier interpretation, but rather that you've had a slight change of heart. Now, if you were to admit it out loud, you knew it would be met with a resounding, pretentious declaration of, "I told you so's" from the people belittling you for resisting the product, people who assume you're acknowledging that they were "right", when in truth, there is no "right" or "wrong" when matters of opinions are involved.

If anything, I agree with @Meg: When people are constantly looking to pick a fight over what they like or don't like, it's only natural for those on the opposite side to decide, "You know what? Screw you; I might have given it a shot, I might have at least reached a state of neutrality about it, but since you feel the need to keep shoving it in my face, forget it!"

*Puts hands up placatingly* Now, no one shoot the messenger: I'm just saying, that's probably why these debates go round and round; because people are too busy viewing things like this in black and white. Just my guess. ^^;

A nice post but there's also something else to note; No one here is calling anyone stupid for liking something the other doesn't. This all pretty much started from me opening my mouth in saying "who cares if he says F you, it's just a word" and suddenly people argue.

To the bare minimum IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. Who cares if he says F you. It's just a game. But no one seems to understand that here.

That's all I wanna say.

Top Bottom