• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (and survival horror in general), kind of disappoints me now...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Capcom risks alienating their fans due to their decisions"

When you put it that way, doesn't that mean that Capcom is still somewhat taking risks and their decisions isn't the "easy way out" as it was made out to be?
Depends on the game in question. A lot of the games where they tried to "Westernize" nearly everything or just following some popular trend of the time. It was a cross between taking an unnecessary risk and trying to grab the wrong crowd of people who wouldn't care much for their clone or trend follower to begin with, and rather just have the product they already like and enjoy way more often. Games like the 3D Bionic Commando reboot and DmC (2013) were following 7th generation trends, thus playing it safe in those regards, and taking unnecessary risk at the same time. It wasn't a product the fans of those respective franchises wanted, nor did they grab hold of new audience. Whatever new audiences came over, either dropped it after the first played through and went back to what they already liked, and those that stuck around with few and far between. And those that stuck around generally saw how so much better the older games are or stuck with the 2.5d games in Bionic Commandos case. Then you have Dead Rising. While it was another Capcom's Westernizations, it was one of the more successful ones until Dead Rising 4. Then again, it was originally supposed to be another unnecessary reboot/remake, and the Vancouver division was turning it into a Last of Us clone. Capcom didn't know about it until almost last minute and they didn't like where the project was going, cuz they assumed it was a full-on remake of the first game. Capcom had the Vancouver division scrap nearly everything and repurpose it. That explains the bad state Dead Rising 4 was in. Which led to the Vancouver division's eventual shut down. Lost Planet 3 was so dull and generic, that everybody keeps forgetting it exists. By playing it so safe, they took a bigger risk and just alienated everyone. Nobody was happy with that game.

Last edited:

Gasoline Tank

5 and 6 sold a lot of units, but they only received lukewarm reviews for deviating too far from the horror genre. More so 6.

I thought 6 had more ties to RE in general than 4 and 5, being honest. 4 and 5 don't mention Umbrella that much. 6 had zombies in Leon's campaign and was more akin to old RE games because of being in a city. The control system was also improved. You could now fight while on the ground. Hooray!

But I'll take Revelations 2 over 6 any day.

Goldsickle

thus playing it safe in those regards, and taking unnecessary risk at the same time.
The point of my previous post is simply to show how contradicting the statements made by people claiming that Capcom "is no longer taking risks".
They act as though picking the "popular" option automatically results in Capcom swimming in cash but then change their tune and talking about Capcom "failing" whenever it's convenient.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
The point of my previous post is simply to show how contradicting the statements made by people claiming that Capcom "is no longer taking risks".
They act as though picking the "popular" option automatically results in Capcom swimming in cash but then change their tune and talking about Capcom "failing" whenever it's convenient.
I already understood from your previous post. I was adding to the conversation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
We all certainly miss Wesker.
He lasted a decade and a half, so we got more than we should have for a such a character that started off as a dorky Ash (Alien) clone. I do miss the character to some extent, but they could not keep Wesker alive forever. Definitely the franchise's best recurring villains.

Pablo and his son, Lexonal, playing RE1 for the first time. Lexonal picked Jill first, then did a Chris playthough. Here is the playlist for both.

Dr. Cheesesteak

re: Wesker, he is such a great...Japan-written villain. Not really deep, but so well-written to be truly evil and make you hate him, while also being so visually distinguishable and engaging.

He is so iconic, he'll still live via Capcom crossover/spinoff games. And I don't mind.

Gasoline Tank

A demo for RE4 should be imminent. In fact, they may release a few of these gradually. One for the village. Another in the castle. Like what they did with RE8.

Goldsickle

Seems like any "modernization" that only started taking place after Dead Space 2 may be implemented back into the first game, such as freedom of movement in zero-g.
Back then, you can only hop from one surface to another and if you accidentally hop towards space, you instantly die.

This might also mean more fluid Kinesis, as well as it being more lethal, as shown in Dead Space 2.
Before you even get your first Plasma Cutter, the game makes you utilize Kinesis to take down Necromorphs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Seems like any "modernization" that only started taking place after Dead Space 2 may be implemented back into the first game, such as freedom of movement in zero-g.
Back then, you can only hop from one surface to another and if you accidentally hop towards space, you instantly die.

This might also mean more fluid Kinesis, as well as it being more lethal, as shown in Dead Space 2.
Before you even get your first Plasma Cutter, the game makes you utilize Kinesis to take down Necromorphs.
I can already tell all the improvements they brought from the second game into the remake. Right now my eyes are on Callisto Protocol. The only problem I have is that another Dead Space type game, call Negative Atmosphere, now has the deck stacked against it now. It's still in production and is done by a smaller group of devs that also used to work at Visceral. I think there were mid-level programmers, if I remember correctly. If I ever choose to get the Dead Space remake, it's either going to be at a deep sale, or I'm going to buy it used. More or less my way of saying screw off to EA. Nothing against the internal developers of course they obviously put love and care into it.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

I saw another gameplay video, during the part where you need to find the captain's body.
Instead of it being behind a glass and you just watch as the body gets infected, you're actually in the middle of searching the body when the infector barges in and does its thing on the captain's corpse.

There might be a "things happen behind glass" reduction throughout this game but I'm thinking that a lot of key scenes will still occur that way.

Top Bottom