• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

rate the combat potential of DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
That's not exactly what I mean, I mean DmC is literally arcade like levels its just straight to the point, you press play, rack up points, try to beat your score, there's no looking for rooms, no puzzles, just combat encounters in great looking environments. It's specifically designed not to waste your time with anything else but combat encounters.

I agree in part but the puzzle elements of dmc4 are focused around Nero as are the platforming bits Dantes missions are basically go from point a to point b kill everything in your way and to be fair the reboot has a lot of platforming in it even I the secret missions

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
im planning...

attack-x
special-y
jump-a
evade-b
left bumper-angel weapon
right trigger-shoot
left trigger- devil weapon
Devil trigger- up d pad
(idk what right bumper will be yet but thats my config so far

I am not sure can you remap the dt to something other than the analogs dude but I may be wrong haven't tried

im planning...

attack-x
special-y
jump-a
evade-b
left bumper-angel weapon
right trigger-shoot
left trigger- devil weapon
up d pad-Devil trigger
right bumper-Centre camera
Perfect, thats my scheme, trust me thast the one you want to get used to.
im hoping i can lol
You can without any effort on the console versions. On PC its just a porting issue, you have to do it through a config file that all pc games have.

I agree in part but the puzzle elements of dmc4 are focused around Nero as are the platforming bits Dantes missions are basically go from point a to point b kill everything in your way and to be fair the reboot has a lot of platforming in it even I the secret missions
The platforming though its so small, and its pretty quick and easy and not frustrating. Enemies don't respawn, its just cool stuff with world breaking down when you do so its a nice change of pace, but 90% of every level is pure combat.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman

You can without any effort on the console versions. On PC its just a porting issue, you have to do it through a config file that all pc games have.

The platforming though its so small, and its pretty quick and easy and not frustrating. Enemies don't respawn, its just cool stuff with world breaking down when you do so its a nice change of pace, but 90% of every level is pure combat.

excellent with this i feel i shall be able to properly both play and enjoy DmC gameplay:)

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
That's not exactly what I mean, I mean DmC is literally arcade like levels its just straight to the point, you press play, rack up points, try to beat your score, there's no looking for rooms, no puzzles, just combat encounters in great looking environments. It's specifically designed not to waste your time with anything else but combat encounters.

Really I remember there was platforming, scripted traversal segments, and there was a mission with a puzzle wasn't it. I also remember one mission where you all you do platform and transverse and fight one wave of enemies....the Trade was it.

Arcade games don't have cutscenes in the middle of a level....skippable or not.

DmC isn't the purest form of an arcade style game.

Plus what about the keys and the secret rooms/doors?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020

Ya true never liked platforming in HnS games anyway

Really I remember there was platforming, scripted traversal segments, and there was a mission with a puzzle wasn't it. I also remember one mission where you all you do platform and transverse and fight one wave of enemies....the Trade was it.

Arcade games don't have cutscenes in the middle of a level....skippable or not.

DmC isn't the purest form of an arcade style game.

Plus what about the keys and the secret rooms/doors?

Yeah, what about them, once you collect them which is optional you can just replay the levels to get high scores, aside from the first 3 missions which have the flashbacks, but even those have combat. The traversal stuff is like :30 seconds between pure combat encounters.
Secret rooms are for fun, onc eyou do challenge you don't really replay them, not any different than they were before.

Cutscenes aren't an issue, it takes two seconds to skip, and yes its fine to have little story parts and still be an arcade like experience. Not sure where that requirement comes from.

And lastly the Trade Mission, its short and sweet, and the reason its separate is because if you put it with anotehr mission then it would become tedious to do this intro every time you replayed that mission. The funny thing is the next mission is the longest mission in the game and its about 20-22 minutes on DMD for most players, so actually DmC balances out the Trade by having the next mission be twice as long.

The bosses on missions by themselves are a great idea as well, because its fun to just replay them and style on them as you'd like. Hell, I'm super happy Metal Gear Rising realized that was a good idea, because the PC version I'm getting next week has an option to replay boss battles.

Last edited:
excellent with this i feel i shall be able to properly both play and enjoy DmC gameplay:)
Actually, Volpe this is the scheme you want don't put center camera on right bumper that's just a bad habit. If you want put it on left stick and put toggle targets with ranged weapon on right stick.
Dpaddown - Deviltrigger.
X - Light Attack
Y - Gunspecial
B - Heavy Attack
A - Jump
LB - Dodge
RB - Shoot
LT - Angel Mode
RT - Demon Mode
Left Stick - Toggle ranged target
Right Stick - Center Camera

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Actually, Volpe this is the scheme you want don't put center camera on right bumper that's just a bad habit. If you want put it on left stick and put toggle targets with ranged weapon on right stick.
Dpaddown - Deviltrigger.
X - Light Attack
Y - Gunspecial
B - Heavy Attack
A - Jump
LB - Dodge
RB - Shoot
LT - Angel Mode
RT - Demon Mode
Left Stick - Toggle ranged target
Right Stick - Center Camera

Ah i see you put in a for jump ha told you it was handy

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah, what about them, once you collect them which is optional you can just replay the levels to get high scores, aside from the first 3 missions which have the flashbacks, but even those have combat. The traversal stuff is like :30 seconds between pure combat encounters.
Secret rooms are for fun, onc eyou do challenge you don't really replay them, not any different than they were before.

Cutscenes aren't an issue, it takes two seconds to skip, and yes its fine to have little story parts and still be an arcade like experience. Not sure where that requirement comes from.

And lastly the Trade Mission, its short and sweet, and the reason its separate is because if you put it with anotehr mission then it would become tedious to do this intro every time you replayed that mission. The funny thing is the next mission is the longest mission in the game and its about 20-22 minutes on DMD for most players, so actually DmC balances out the Trade by having the next mission be twice as long.

The bosses on missions by themselves are amazing as well, because its fun to just replay them and style on them as you'd like. Hell, I'm super happy Metal Gear Rising realized that was a good idea, because the PC version I'm getting next week has an option to replay boss battles.

You know DmC could've benefitted from a NG style mode that allowed you replay all campaign missions story, dialogue, and cutscene free.

Plus wouldn't the strong integration of cinematics a reason why we can't play Vergil in Dante's levels and Dante in Vergil's levels or why Vergil isn't playable in Bloody Palace....hmmmmm? Or the devs didn't have enough time/money or didn't cared enough. At least its practically easy to play Dante in Nero levels and Nero in Dante levels on PC.

You know DmC could've benefitted from a NG style mode that allowed you replay all campaign missions story, dialogue, and cutscene free.

Plus wouldn't the strong integration of cinematics a reason why we can't play Vergil in Dante's levels and Dante in Vergil's levels or why Vergil isn't playable in Bloody Palace....hmmmmm? Or the devs didn't have enough time/money or didn't cared enough. At least its practically easy to play Dante in Nero levels and Nero in Dante levels on PC.
The cutscenes if you can't skip them are usually just masking loading times. Many games do this. Maybe its a pc thing but I can literally skip the cutscenes in .01 seconds. And some of them are just minor cuts which are fine, like a cool glance or look towards spawning enemies. I wouldn't really call those bothersome. I do wish the flashbacks contained more combat though, I love the color and visuals in those environments, and enjoy fighting enemies over the ocean in them. And also, Vergil on DMD should have had 3x health so that the cutscenes don't interrupt combat so much. Shame I can't fix it for console users, because it makes the fight flow a lot better that way.

As for vergil's bloody palace, I'd say that's more because of time and money. The developers don't have a choice capcom hires you and when you deliver the product its the end of the relationship. They were asked to make the downfall dlc and thats what they did. The soundtrack was composed at the end of 2012 in six days, so that shows how much of a tight turnaround that piece of content was.

One more thing you can indeed swap dante and vergil, but hte issue isn't cutscenes, its just that the game looks for triggers to spawn enemies inside Dante's main file, and when you swap out to vergil's main file it can't find them so it doesn't know what to spawn. As for the demon pull/angel pull stuff, that's really just an issue of modifying the attack properties of those moves, nothing really to do with cutscenes.

Last edited:
And it would be a bit of a stretch to compare the angel and demon modes to the original styles and act as if they are basically the same. The style switch might be faster but I find that there is much less depth put into the styles.
Here I Just edited this Trickster Comparison for you.

Last edited:
they are very alike yes but dmc4 has the teleport which can get you long distances and in dmc4 in dt you cn do multiple dashes continuously with dante and do two teleports and two sky stars in the air bud the dashes are almost identical I agree
DmC Dante also has calibur which does teleport to enemies if you shoot them first before inputing it, and its very easy to glide away and teleport back, and angel pull doubles as the actual approxmiate to dante's teleport on top of target as well. Also, the teleport in air for DmC Dante you can change direction mid dodge so it has some unique controllable properties for combos.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
DmC Dante also has calibur which does teleport to enemies if you shoot them first before inputing it, and its very easy to glide away and teleport back, and angel pull doubles as the actual approxmiate to dante's teleport on top of target as well. Also, the teleport in air for DmC Dante you can change direction mid dodge so it has some unique controllable properties for combos.

oh I realise that but you don't have to put in the effort to do all that in dmc4 as trickster makes it readily available without using other moves to do the sae thing in DmC that's all I mean plus the infinite dashes in dt in dmc4 is handy having that in DmC would be awesome

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The cutscenes if you can't skip them are usually just masking loading times. Many games do this. Maybe its a pc thing but I can literally skip the cutscenes in .01 seconds. And some of them are just minor cuts which are fine, like a cool glance or look towards spawning enemies. I wouldn't really call those bothersome. I do wish the flashbacks contained more combat though, I love the visuals of those areas, and enjoy fighting over the ocean in them. And also, vergil on DMD should have had 3x health so that the cutscenes don't interrupt combat so much. Shame I can't fix it for console users, because it makes the fight flow a lot better that way.

As for vergil's bloody palace, I'd say that's more because of time and money. The developers don't have a choice capcom hires you and when you deliver the product its the end of the relationship. They were asked to make the downfall dlc and thats what they did. The soundtrack was composed at the end of 2012 in six days, so that shows how much of a tight turnaround that piece of content was.

One more thing you can indeed swap dante and vergil, but hte issue isn't cutscenes, its just that the game looks for triggers to spawn enemies inside Dante's main file, and when you swap out to vergil's main file it can't find them so it doesn't know what to spawn. As for the demon pull/angel pull stuff, that's really just an issue of modifying the attack properties of those moves, nothing really to do with cutscenes.

So then wouldn't be easy to just apply Triggers for Vergil. So the game was designed so that going to X spot with Dante will trigger enemies meaning the issue was within the coding. I have a solution....patch. I mean with the Vergil DF DLC coming around the corner they couldn't had an internal patch (with the BP patch) that allowed Vergil playable in BP at the least. I mean its no different than bringing in a new character in a fighter that is alien to the coding of the current game so they apply a patch so even players who don't have that DLC character can fight him making the "trigger" for X character available within the game it wasn't in before. I don't understand why BP was delayed from the full game. I would understand if it was delayed to make Vergil playable in it but that wasn't the case. I mean NT made Bloody Palace didn't they?

I can understand Vergil not in Dante's campaign and definitely Dante not playable in Vergil's campaign because it has new enemies that Dante and his mechanics and attacks weren't coded for yet or they weren't coded for him. I mean in MGR you can at least play Sam and Bladewolf in the VR missions that don't come with the DLC.

Plus weren't it you who tried to play Bloody Palace with Vergil but it wouldn't function when you reached a boss because well Vergil's data wouldn't fit in with the aspects of the boss fight and cinematics that were using Dante's model and motion capture?

Plus VD DLC was announced in like November/December and it looked rather completed (a little unpolished and the soundtrack was missing) and it wasn't released 3-4 months later. So you're telling me their wasn't enough time to add Vergil's trigger/data into BP....but then again the boss fights.

Cinematics being the issue or not it still comes down to devs (Capcom included) not really thinking it out clearly or designing the game's data not in their favor for in NG3 RE not only could any character play in level, any trial, or anything but added DLC characters like Kasumi (well for the Wii U version) could function in said levels with zero to no problem meaning these so called enemy triggers for Kasumi were present in the DLC for her.

Plus Capcom could've released a patch to make Vergil's Trigger data available but then again the boss fights. I guess this could've been avoided if they had plans for Vergil DLC since the beginning and planned and designed the game accordingly. I remember when Capcom said they need to think of DLC at the beginning of development and people were upset and totally against it.....now I can see a positive in that.

However, I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about. Although I desire to be a game dev myself I'm more on the creative and idea aspect (as well as some art) rather than the computer aspects and programming/coding. I'm not really sure what you mean by "triggers" but I do have a clue.:angel:

About Vergil....
Yes, what I"m saying is that it could be easily done, but Capcom did not plan or ask for it. It's quite simple, NT cannot publish anything for DmC without Capcom's approval or backing. Capcom paid them for their work and now its over, unless they come back and pay them to do a small patch to implement what you're asking for its not going to happen. It's not laziness, not coding ineptitude, its simply Capcom did not pay or ask for this therefore it was not developed or created.

The enemies are actually a non issue, I can play as Dante with his moveset in vergil's downfall and attack most enemies, that's really just about modifying the attack properties of the weapons in question. The issue is that the packaged game files for each character have certain pieces of code that move events forward during each players campaign, and when the level looks for them and it can't find them, the next sequence doesn't start.

As for bosses, You can actually fight vergil against vergil just fine, and Dante can fight Hollow Vergil without any issues as well. Vergil's pull is simply missing an attribute that lets the objects being pulled know that it is a valid pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom