• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

rate the combat potential of DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
DMC1 is 6/10 (Nostalgia doesn't make the game any better)
DMC2 is 5/10 (Because...dude, seriously...)
DMC3 is 9/10 (It's got a lot of potential and is really fun)
DMC4 is 7/10 (Nero was limiting and Dante was a mess. Plus too much running around, not enough fighting to keep me invested.)

So I'd say DmC's combat potential is above DMC1, DMC2, and DMC4, but below DMC3.

DmC is n 8/10 for me.

DragonMaster2010

Wait...Who sent you?
fry-suspicious.gif

This_IZ_Sparda!

DMC3 was revolutionary... DMC4 wasnt as good as 3. but it provided a unique character named Nero who provided his own kind of style with the Devil Buster, Exceed, and Blue Rose.
DMC3's really good! and 4 was really..eerrr... okay! So i'd give it a rating of 9-10 out of 10 and 8 out of 10 respectively. (just didnt like the drama surrounding Nero and Dante's mechanics werent that new).
Now compare DmC to them according to gameplay, i'd give it a 7 or 8.
DmC, people said gameplay dumbed down in a good and not so good way. Good, for players new and/or rusty to this type of game, to get used to this hack-and-slash genre, piling up combos and button mashing their way to favorable end-level results. Not-so-good, fans thought this game was too easy.. in fact easier than the previous 2, which according to what gamers say, provided less or NO challenge at all. but other factors in combat like switching from angel to devil arms, was challengingly fun, especially playing the game on Nephilim and Son of Sparda modes.
DmC has its charms in gameplay, story, design and even characters. But, it lacks some qualities you find in the previous franchise. I do hope a potential sequel will greatly improve the franchise... even with the angry fanbase with their torches and pitchforks mobbing outside.

This_IZ_Sparda!

DMC4 is 7/10 (Nero was limiting and Dante was a mess. Plus too much running around, not enough fighting to keep me invested.)

I might even agree with you there. It got dragging throughout the gameplay since, like you said, there was a lot of running around. But, what really put me off was Nero's character. I wasn't a fan of the drama in 4. errks

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

So I'd say DmC's combat potential is above DMC1, DMC2, and DMC4, but below DMC3.

DmC is n 8/10 for me.

I can stand by this. Although I might put DMC1 and DMC2 on the same level, since DMC1 was good with what it did, and DMC2, while a bit slower and easier, had a lot of new moves that expanded on what DMC1 was great at.

DmC is n 8/10 for me.
Pretty Accurate.

Although, objectively I'd rate 3 at 7.5 and 4 at 8/8.5 strictly in terms of potential combo depth, but if you balance fun factor than well your ratings are pretty accurate.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!

DmC is n 8/10 for me.
That's a great rating. I agree!

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Although, objectively I'd rate 3 at 7.5 and 4 at 8/8.5 strictly in terms of potential combo depth, but if you balance fun factor than well your ratings are pretty accurate.
Really? Give the third game a 7? Interesting (I know you said 7.5, but let's rattle a few cages while we're at it).

I'll consider it. After all, one only needs to combine all the weapons and styles (in DMC3) to make it better. As it stands, it gets a 7 simply from only being able to wield two weapons and one style at a time.

And DMC4 will always be just a 5 with me. Whether it's combo-wise or fun factor. I'm not even going to give it a pity rating of 6. :bored:

Even if Capcom had made 4 a carbon copy of 3, it still would have been better. Instead I get 3 weapons instead of 5, and 6 styles instead of 7. I thought sequels were supposed to give the player more options. :meh:
Pretty Accurate.
No it's not. :D

Really? Give the third game a 7? Interesting (I know you said 7.5, but let's rattle a few cages while we're at it).

I'll consider it. After all, one only needs to combine all the weapons and styles (in DMC3) to make it better. As it stands, it gets a 7 simply from only being able to wield two weapons and one style at a time.

And DMC4 will always be just a 5 with me. Whether it's combo-wise or fun factor. I'm not even going to give it a pity rating of 6. :bored:

Even if Capcom had made 4 a carbon copy of 3, it still would have been better. Instead I get 3 weapons instead of 5, and 6 styles instead of 7. I thought sequels were supposed to give the player more options. :meh:

No it's not. :D
I meant if we're strictly considering combo potential in terms of the free flow mechanics, but when you take into account fun/challenge factor, DMC3 deserves the 9 dragonmaster gave it.

Also, you're right about combing everything into one build as a potential solution, but in a way thats what DMC4 and DmC have been trying to do, DMC4 just threw all of it onto the controller without much thought, while DmC gets the closest at having an intuitive yet fully robust set of moves.

I think the ideal solution would be to combine the best of both, allow the player to customize the side attacks and abilities of Dante, ie I want angel teleport instead of angel pull, or I want Killer Bee instead of Aerial Axe Drop, that would be kick ass.

Last edited:

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Basing this entirely on Bloody Palace - backtracking, story, "KYRIEEEEE!!!", etc. having no impact on it:
DMC4 10/10 - Took the things good about DMC3 and improved them, which is what a sequel should do.
DMC3 9/10 - One of the best releases ever. I can't think of any game that came anywhere near its level when it came out.
DmC 7/10 - It didn't really bring anything new to the combat system.
1 and 2 aren't in the same league as the above. 1 was amazing for its time; I remember playing that demo that came with RE:CVX over and over again, but DMC1 hasn't aged well imo.

I can stand by this. Although I might put DMC1 and DMC2 on the same level, since DMC1 was good with what it did, and DMC2, while a bit slower and easier, had a lot of new moves that expanded on what DMC1 was great at.
I feel like DMC2 gets a lot more flak than it deserves. It gave us a proto-trickster style button, weapon changes, another playable character with her own style and storyline [whilst not sacrificing Dante time :D], and BP. It was let down by slow paced combat and Dante trying to imitate Clint Eastwood in the Dollars trilogy, but it gave us a lot of solid things that became staples of DMC. Also, wall running. WALL RUNNING.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
DmC could be the best if it was tweaked a little more. Mechanically DmC works and feels the best out of the entire series. I wish DmC's control scheme would have been introduced earlier because I can only imagine what it would have involved in to by now. I love the way the game feels.

My biggest gripe with it is I wish it was just a tad more challenging. However that doesn't stop the game from still having combat that is head and shoulders above most action games out there and still a lot of fun which is what truly always matters at the end of the day.

I see people just talking always about the number of moves but, that's not all that matters. You were always dealt with some kind of restriction anyway so it's not like we had all our toys to play with. I'm talking about how everything flows so it's just right and you don't have to be a f#cking robot with 50 fingers to streamline correctly. because the game makes you try to play around a lot of stuff that in the end can be just summed up as tedious bullsh!t. DmC made some nice steps in planting seeds for a foundation to fix what was wrong with the others. (example, how the demon and angel pulls are an evolution of Nero's arm and Vergil's teleportation combined and mixing them up is a breeze)

You shouldn't confuse a bunch of unnecessary convolution for depth. For a game obsessed with style I get sometimes annoyed when I do something I didn't want to do and start messing up my demon slaying groove. :tongue: I can score SSS with the rest of them but, I never really cared about all that and I just wanted to do something I thought was cool and badass.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
DMC1 = Just a good starter... It was supposed to be Resident Evil 4...
DMC2 = Lack of weapon variety, thus lack of combo variety
DMC3 = King of Stylish Combos in the entire franchise
DMC4 = Not as good as DMC3's as it lessened Dante's weapon variety, thus lessening his combo variety, but made up with it using the Style Switch... I got mixed feels on this...
DmC = Just like Dragon, above DMC1 and 2, but below 3. However, I tie it with 4 for I feel the same way with 4!

Last edited:

Caiden

Personally I don't rate it anywhere close to DMC 3 or 4. I feel like it's combos are more flashy than have any real depth to them. There are a lot of little secrets in the combat of DMC4 and DMC3 was a huge leap in the series. The only problem really is that I find it easier to get into DmC's combat. You need to spend a lot of time getting used to the combat of DMC3 and 4 or it will feel like you are just doing the same combos over and over again. I also completely disagree with "Nero is limiting and Dante is a mess". Experiment and really get used to the combat in DMC4 and you can see that it has the potential to be the best combat in the series if it had been worked on just a bit more.

DragonMaster2010

P I find it easier to get into DmC's combat.

That was the point of DmC. To make it easier and not a button filled mess on the controller.

P I also completely disagree with "Nero is limiting and Dante is a mess". Experiment and really get used to the combat in DMC4 and you can see that it has the potential to be the best combat in the series if it had been worked on just a bit more.

Why should I have to try and master a game to have fun? What, I can't have fun with DMC4 unless I master every nook and cranny of Dante? Since when did DMC4 become a "masters only" game?

I can just play DmC, where I can just get in, hack n' slash, and have fun. I don't need to remember that holding a button, forward, and melee attack can make a high time, when in DmC it's more convenient to just press one button to do it, while the rest of my fingers are busy making the next move.

I say Nero is limiting because he's only got three weapons to use; gun, sword, and Devil Bringer. He has no punching weapons, no better guns to choose from, and I'm sick of seeing Nero just swing his sword around like some mad man on meth.

I say Dante is a mess because his gameplay is filled with way too many button layouts that are almost unnecessary for the game itself. It's as if Capcom is saying "Oh, you can't play as Dante unless you've mastered him in DMC3". I also say Dante's a mess because the enemies were obviously made for Nero, and Dante fighting them can get annoying. With the bosses Nero has these cool QTE-like events, but with Dante he just slashes at it and that takes the cool factor out of him.

Caiden

That was the point of DmC. To make it easier and not a button filled mess on the controller.

Why should I have to try and master a game to have fun? What, I can't have fun with DMC4 unless I master every nook and cranny of Dante? Since when did DMC4 become a "masters only" game?

I can just play DmC, where I can just get in, hack n' slash, and have fun. I don't need to remember that holding a button, forward, and melee attack can make a high time, when in DmC it's more convenient to just press one button to do it, while the rest of my fingers are busy making the next move.

I say Nero is limiting because he's only got three weapons to use; gun, sword, and Devil Bringer. He has no punching weapons, no better guns to choose from, and I'm sick of seeing Nero just swing his sword around like some mad man on meth.

I say Dante is a mess because his gameplay is filled with way too many button layouts that are almost unnecessary for the game itself. It's as if Capcom is saying "Oh, you can't play as Dante unless you've mastered him in DMC3". I also say Dante's a mess because the enemies were obviously made for Nero, and Dante fighting them can get annoying. With the bosses Nero has these cool QTE-like events, but with Dante he just slashes at it and that takes the cool factor out of him.

When did I ever say you had to "Master" the game? You just need to experiment with it and develop combos that work for you instead of just mindlessly mashing buttons. I have never really had trouble with the button layout for Dante or Nero. The only problem I have ever had is the directional attacks and the camera. I have been playing both games for a long time and I am still not a "Master". I am currently having a lot of trouble getting through Dante must Die mode in DMC4 but it is still a lot of fun.

How is Dante's button layout unnecessary. You have a normal attack, the style ability, lock on, shoot, jump, switch melee weapon, switch ranged weapon, and switch style. I feel like the layout is pretty straight forward. Maybe it's just me but I have never really had much trouble with the controls of any DMC game. I could make claims about a lot of things I think are unnecessary about DmC but I won't because I am sure that their are people that prefer the gameplay style of DmC.

DragonMaster2010

When did I ever say you had to "Master" the game? You just need to experiment with it and develop combos that work for you instead of just mindlessly mashing buttons. I have never really had trouble with the button layout for Dante or Nero. The only problem I have ever had is the directional attacks and the camera. I have been playing both games for a long time and I am still not a "Master". I am currently having a lot of trouble getting through Dante must Die mode in DMC4 but it is still a lot of fun.

True, but experimenting with Dante can be a hassle that I don't want to spend an entire Saturday learning, as oppose to DmC, where I can go in, and slash it up.

How is Dante's button layout unnecessary. You have a normal attack, the style ability, lock on, shoot, jump, switch melee weapon, switch ranged weapon, and switch style.

Half right.

The triggers can get rather confusing because there's so much going on up there with DT and switching the wrong set of weapons

when I switch styles the directional buttons mash together and when I want Swordmaster it presses royalguard or trickster instead

the gun shooting for E&I are just terrible

the drive attack knocks enemies in the air and when I do a follow up it doesn't always hit them along with me not being able to change directions of that attack

pandora's a pretty slow weapon to use

yamato only has the basic three hit combo, aerial combo, and judgement cut from Vergil

stinger to million stab is annoying

stinger on the grunt demons shoots them back further

and gilgamesh feels so weak when I use it.

But these are just my own complaints in regard to Dante's gameplay being a big mess.

Caiden

I can agree that using stinger on smaller demons can be annoying but besides that most of those sound like personal difficulties to be honest. I have never had trouble switching styles and I can agree that E&I don't fire that well like they did in DMC3 but they are pretty useless in DmC so I still prefer DMC4 in that regard. There is a lot of difference in the ply style between DMC4 and DmC. It really come down to what you prefer. I personally think that DmC's gameplay is more flashy than it is dee and so I don't care for it that much. The animations are nice but DMC4 doesn't have any particularly bad animations so it's not really that big of a leap forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom