• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Raiden vs Nero

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Well, make no mistake, the meme is funny. "Nanomachines son!" is sadly the culmination of all the disappointment felt by MGS4, because nearly all the interesting, surreal stuff in the series was answered with them, like Vamp's immortality. It's just...sad, and ruined a bit of the charm the franchise had :c But hey, at least we can laugh about it ;p
The only problem I have with that is Nanomachines doing amazing things have been with the franchise since the start. Plus the surreal being explained by science was already done before, for example with Fortune.

But I digress, back to the Vs Match: to answer Z218, Raiden's dash in MGR auto blocks bullets so Blue Rose shouldn't be much of a problem. It's the Devil Bringer and Yamato that are the main issue.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
The only problem I have with that is Nanomachines doing amazing things have been with the franchise since the start. Plus the surreal being explained by science was already done before, for example with Fortune.

But Fortune deflected missiles without the aid of technology (after getting shot, before she ultimately died) :x

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Knowing the kind of ridiculous, plot-defying sh!t the characters in Metal Gear Solid can do on a regular basis, I doubt Nero stands a chance. Solid Snake backflipped off a missile, for Christ's sake...I don't even want to know what kind of anime nonsense Raiden can pull out of that wavy bishonen comb-over of his.

Twin Snakes isn't canon.

Nero is everything done wrong about Raiden storywise.

Worse introduction to a new character
Worse girlfriend

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Nero is everything done wrong about Raiden storywise.

Worse introduction to a new character
Worse girlfriend

...And? Would that help Raiden in a fight? I don't get what that has to do with the topic. We're talking about fighting here, not who's the better character. Why does every topic have to end up in remarks about the quality of a character over another, even when that has zero business in the matter at hand?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Annnnnnd this is why I don't like versus threads.

Anyway, what's Raiden's healing factor like? Is it on par with Nero's DT? Or is it greater than that?

Viper

Premium
Annnnnnd this is why I don't like versus threads.

Anyway, what's Raiden's healing factor like? Is it on par with Nero's DT? Or is it greater than that?
It's instant healing as soon as he gets his hands on nano-repair paste. But the thing is, he needs other cyborgs to extract the paste from them using zandatsu technique.
One also has to take into account Raiden uses pain inhibitors, which remove bad effects of pain on senses, while still making him aware of damage.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Nero vs MGS2 Raiden would probably be a rethread of DMC3 Dante vs Lady, just a bit better since Raiden had a wider range of tactics.

"Necessity is the mother of invention". SS taught Raiden alot more than Dante did with Nero.

Viper

Premium
I imagine Kojima retconned it when he realized how stupid it was...
Even though making Big Boss have a piece of shrapnel wedged in his forehead to symbolize him "becoming a demon" wasn't too stupid too include.
Twin Snakes was never canon to begin with, Playstation version was, and in that one Snake wasn't an acrobatic super-hero. The crazy moves were apparently a way to get Nintendo audience interested, and were work of Kitamura, who was well-known for such style, although he was encouraged by Kojima.

On the subject of nanomachines... yes, it was a silly explanation for everything, but it was done in the period when fandom was insane for answers, everything you mention you'd like it stayed mysterious, these people demanded to know. Considering things like Vamp's immortality never had a proper explanation outside "it was cool", nanomachines were ideal choice.

Veloran

Sorta fifty-fifty. Raiden is more durable and I think faster, but Yamato is likely superior to the HF blade and Nero has supernatural abilities. Their strength (Accounting for Nero's Devil Bringer) should be equal, but Nero can project it at a greater range than Raiden can. His Devil Trigger also effectively doubles his number of attacks.

If Nero had a full Devil Trigger transformation I'd give it to him, as is it's a toss up.

Edit: By the way, anyone else hear about that MvC4 stuff? If it's true I really hope Nero finally makes a guest appearance in another game.

Last edited:

Veloran

Where? When? What stuff did you hear?
Twitter rumors mostly, it blew up a bit a few days ago.

RL9ZLHb.jpg

Similarly there's also been a rumor of DMC5 to come out of the FGC through ties to Capcom, I vaguely think both may be connected to the same person, but that's unknowable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/5933nt/heres_what_i_know_about_dmc5_nothing_major/

Regardless, the idea of an MvC4 is pretty interesting, and should it ever become a reality I'd really like to see Nero as playable. His moveset would work amazingly as a fighting game character.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Twitter rumors mostly, it blew up a bit a few days ago.

RL9ZLHb.jpg

Similarly there's also been a rumor of DMC5 to come out of the FGC through ties to Capcom, I vaguely think both may be connected to the same person, but that's unknowable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/5933nt/heres_what_i_know_about_dmc5_nothing_major/

Regardless, the idea of an MvC4 is pretty interesting, and should it ever become a reality I'd really like to see Nero as playable. His moveset would work amazingly as a fighting game character.
How good of a source is this really? Does this guy distribute or develop for Capcom in any real way?

One of the big things holding MvC4 back is the fact that Disney now owns Marvel. That's part of the reason services like PSN and Xbox Live removed a lot of Marvel-related content and fighting games, including the Marvel vs Capcom series. Unless Capcom has somehow managed to wrangle with Disney's iron-fisted licensing rules, I doubt this is true.

Besides, when it comes to expanding the roster, I think the addition of some Sengoku Basara characters is long overdue.

Veloran

How good of a source is this really? Does this guy distribute or develop for Capcom in any real way?

It's secondhand, but FGC members get pretty tight with Capcom employees through stuff like the Capcom Pro Tour.

One of the big things holding MvC4 back is the fact that Disney now owns Marvel. That's part of the reason services like PSN and Xbox Live removed a lot of Marvel-related content and fighting games, including the Marvel vs Capcom series. Unless Capcom has somehow managed to wrangle with Disney's iron-fisted licensing rules, I doubt this is true.

A while back when Disney Infinity shut down, Disney decided to get out of the business of personally publishing games from their IPs. They said they're now looking at their game properties exclusively in terms of licensing out. In relation to Capcom that drastically increases the chances they work out a deal for an MvC4, whereas before after the 2009 acquisition they had been dead-set on reigning in licensing policy to in-house projects, it's a turnaround.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
That's all well and good, but could we try to keep this on-topic. If you want to discuss more MvC4 news, you're more than welcome to create a thread in the gaming discussion section.

Would appreciate it. Thank you.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Gotta go with nero once he dt's, as number one he has summoned swords his spectral demon dt, and 2 a sword than can cut through the fabric of space and dimensions.

Ye all forget tablehopper allows him to dodge attacks instantly.

The devil bringer can also grow big enough to engulf raiden and crush his body to mulch and circuits.

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
In a fight between Dante and Raiden, Dante wins hands down. Raiden vs Nero is a bit more of a complicated and interesting question.

Raiden can run fast enough to keep pace with moving trains so I'd think he can out pace Nero. Nero would have to find a way to stunlock Raiden and quickly beat him down. Since Raiden has no self repair function, this would be a very valid way of beating him. Devil Bringer could be useful here but keeping Raiden in melee range is probably a death sentence. He can slice through things faster than a human eye can see with Blade Mode. Even if Nero could rip Raiden's arms off, Raiden can wield his sword with his feet.

If Nero DTed and let his aura grow huge I am not sure how much good it would do, the thing seems to do physical damage and Raiden can block Metal Gears the size of buildings. And throw them.

Nero is pretty much just outclassed here, I think. Not his fault. Nero is a very skilled fighter but everything about Raiden is literally built to efficiently kill targets.

Zoey

I'm sure Nero would win... eventually, because he can heal himself. Raiden is perhaps stronger and more trained and skilled, but if he gets wounded and starts bleeding white, things can go down for him.

Top Bottom