• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

OG DMC Fans Blamed for Low DmC sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The only problems people had with DMC4 was that the game was not finished and it being rush out to the market so essentially we got a half game but even then no one asked for a reboot.
Capcom did, and in the business, their desire for the game was what mattered. And DMC4 had more issues than just "not finished", it was also no one knew really what the effin point was since they intro a new hero, and then give no reason to give a sh*t about him at all or his lover interest. And then Capcom says "Wait, you mean you DIDN'T get what the plot and story behind him was? We thought it was obvious; THERE WAS NONE!"
I'm not gonna touch the rest because it's simply hilarious and has nothing to do with anything I stated. :troll:

Which is exactly how hilarious yours was. because DmC does have the DMC DNA. it has Dante, Vergil, the iconic blades, the story of Sparda and Eva, and Mundus...and had direction on teh engines and oversite by Istuno and Capcom.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
>30 frames because environments release the **** on PC at 200 fps lol

Because it was made for and on consoles...consoles that can't handle that level of animation going on at once while retaining a smooth 60 framerate. PCs are awesome machines, but they have the potential to be a lot more powerful than the consoles these days.

>DMC DNA is Still there.......No it's Not

I'd say that's subjective, but when the combat is based around free-form combos and increasing a Style meter I'd be more inclined to think that the DNA is still there. Even the idea of using firearms and melee weapons in tandem for those combos seems very much Devil May Cry.

If this game wasn't a DMC game, people would be saying it's a rip-off of DMC the way Dante's Inferno ripped off God of War.

>Ninja Theorys on board to fix the story creates a even worse story consisting of Futurama,They Live and V for Vendetta.

They were brought on board for helping create a DMC game that actually accentuates the story presentation instead of leaving the narrative as something that just bridges together locations to fight enemies. There were never any claims of "fixing the story" by NT or Capcom, the intention was to create a DMC game with a different focus and setting.

You also realize that Futurama, They Live, and V for Vendetta weren't the first to do the things you claim DmC used for inspiration, right...? Those things exist because they were different takes on decades-old ideas, most notably conspiracies (things in our food, higher beings controlling government, and passively tyrannical governments opposed by a small group).

>Brought nothing innovative to the series besides reverse rainstorm.:troll:

It brought aerial combat to a greater focus of the gameplay, over being something that only a handful could do by nearly breaking the system. Weapon-swapping "stance mechanics" are also interesting, and allow for a lot more actions to be done. I honestly don't see why people don't use it more often in their games, because it's a concept that works, just needs a bit more refinement. For DMC being a series all about combos and switching weapons, making a system that makes it incredibly easy to switch between eight at once, without cycling past undesired options, is pretty nice. DMC4 was nice to give us so many options, but it's clunky to operate for most people.

They figured out a way to make an action game with fun combat more accessible - there's nothing wrong with that.

AKA Reboot wasn't needed period.

Not needed? Maybe. But still welcome to a lot of people who legitimately got bored of the classics or could never get into them for one reason or another. And no one ever asks for a reboot, they just happen. However, since this is a business decision, I'd be inclined to believe that there is way more to the reason DmC was made that is over our heads.

I don't see how any of this was "proven false," other than you imposing a set of rules for them to fail at :/

Nero.

Which is exactly how hilarious yours was. because DmC does have the DMC DNA. it has Dante, Vergil, the iconic blades, the story of Sparda and Eva, and Mundus...and had direction on teh engines and oversite by Istuno and Capcom.
Foolishness Dante Foolishness

What I stated was actually said by Capcom and NT themselves you were supposed to counter that but you simply.............. didn't instead you tried to strawman and failed what makes you think I didn't know Istuno had oversite did you also know after he finished DD he had a complete look at the finished product of DmC and had to go back through the entire game frame by frame with NT.

So I take take it Combat doesn't count anymore as of part of DMC DNA in which for many people was the most important factor.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Hersey on how much Itsuno actually did until I see verifyed information; Itsuno did NOT go through DmC Frame by Frame, since Capcom oversaw the engine from day one, and it's hyperbole hersay that "Itsuno came in an rebuilt the engine from scratch".

Combat does make up part of the DNA of the series; it's in there. You just refuse to see it because it's more convientent for you to spout the same rhetoric drivel instead of actually examining it and seeing it IS in the DNA of the combat.

And don't quote Vergil at me...I deal with my brother enough as it is and him giving me that kind of arrogant petty attitude as a joke.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Because it was made for and on consoles...consoles that can't handle that level of animation going on at once while retaining a smooth 60 framerate. PCs are awesome machines, but they have the potential to be a lot more powerful than the consoles these days.
DMC4 ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with 60 FPS and had alot more animations than DmC.

Just saying.

XhDWNtn.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Are you shiiting me right know

No. That'd be gross. I mean...you could be into that sorta thing, but it's not really my kinda thing.

In all seriousness, though, I mean what I say. So far in my time here, you've done little but say extremely subjective things backed up only by misinformation that either you've said yourself or that you contrive (like blaming Capcom and Ninja Theory for things unaffiliated parties say).

You haven't given me one iota of evidence to many of your claims, and the stuff you just spewed before about what was "proven false" (that I responded to) is more of the exact same stuff I've been calling you out on.

Plus, there's the stuff Dante Redgrave is saying above me. You're being very hyperbolic about Itsuno's involvement. He certainly was there to oversee the combat and make tweaks at all times, but that was the whole point - NT makes it, Itsuno refines it to a standard that he felt was good for what they were doing with the project. And from what I remember hearing, the claim that early on in development Itsuno completely altered the combat engine from what NT originally had shown him, but that's sort of what always happens in game development - the dev team works on a prototype build that displays the intended flow of combat, and then they go from there, refining it into something that usually ends up being extremely different than the bare-bones prototype they started with. The fact that the game went through an extremely common phase of its development isn't the mark of a bad game, no matter how much you wish it was.

berto

I Saw the Devil
There are 9 pages, I read the first, could someone summarize the other 8 please?

Nero.

No Shiit doesn't change the facts of what I said what was said by NT and Capcom was utter bullshit.

I'd say that's subjective, but when the combat is based around free-form combos and increasing a Style meter I'd be more inclined to think that the DNA is still there. Even the idea of using firearms and melee weapons in tandem for those combos seems very much Devil May Cry.
Subjective Indeed

If this game wasn't a DMC game, people would be saying it's a rip-off of DMC the way Dante's Inferno ripped off God of War.

The game probably would've sold more honestly and people is still calling this a Devil may cry rip off.

They were brought on board for helping create a DMC game that actually accentuates the story presentation instead of leaving the narrative as something that just bridges together locations to fight enemies. There were never any claims of "fixing the story" by NT or Capcom, the intention was to create a DMC game with a different focus and setting.
GO DO YOUR RESEARCH!
You also realize that Futurama, They Live, and V for Vendetta weren't the first to do the things you claim DmC used for inspiration, right...? Those things exist because they were different takes on decades-old ideas, most notably conspiracies (things in our food, higher beings controlling government, and passively tyrannical governments opposed by a small group).
Some how this magically excuses the story being a blatant ripoff and not inspiration go learn the difference between the two.
It brought aerial combat to a greater focus of the gameplay, over being something that only a handful could do by nearly breaking the system. Weapon-swapping "stance mechanics" are also interesting, and allow for a lot more actions to be done. I honestly don't see why people don't use it more often in their games, because it's a concept that works, just needs a bit more refinement. For DMC being a series all about combos and switching weapons, making a system that makes it incredibly easy to switch between eight at once, without cycling past undesired options, is pretty nice. DMC4 was nice to give us so many options, but it's clunky to operate for most people.
Subjective indeed and pressing the D pad was Clunky Wut?!?!
They figured out a way to make an action game with fun combat more accessible - there's nothing wrong with that.
I swear I thought that's why EASY MODE existed

Not needed? Maybe. But still welcome to a lot of people who legitimately got bored of the classics or could never get into them for one reason or another. And no one ever asks for a reboot, they just happen. However, since this is a business decision, I'd be inclined to believe that there is way more to the reason DmC was made that is over our heads.

I don't see how any of this was "proven false," other than you imposing a set of rules for them to fail at :/

Yeah that reason was simple westernization to make that COD money and failed DMC was never that popular and was considered a niche to most people.

Once again I didn't make anything up you really need to get that through your head everything i said was actually stated if you can't be bothered to read that's on you.:/

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
DMC4 ran on PS3 and Xbox 360 with 60 FPS and had alot more animations than DmC.

Just saying.

Ha, no. Most of DMC's environments are static, with only a few very small constantly animated assets. They don't have anything near the level of environmental animation going on.

And here's a fun fact - when I recently replayed DMC4, I had some serious framerate lag in the forest, fighting two Fausts next to the raging river. The system dropped below 20fps until I moved my camera orientation away from so many of the animations. So....a river and two billowing cloaks in DMC4 were enough to lag out my system until I did something to avoid having all three of those things animate on my screen at once.

Just saying.

Nero.

Hersey on how much Itsuno actually did until I see verifyed information; Itsuno did NOT go through DmC Frame by Frame, since Capcom oversaw the engine from day one, and it's hyperbole hersay that "Itsuno came in an rebuilt the engine from scratch".

Combat does make up part of the DNA of the series; it's in there. You just refuse to see it because it's more convientent for you to spout the same rhetoric drivel instead of actually examining it and seeing it IS in the DNA of the combat.

And don't quote Vergil at me...I deal with my brother enough as it is and him giving me that kind of arrogant petty attitude as a joke.
Foolishness Tony Foolishness

Like I Said not even 30 seconds ago GO DO YOUR RESEARCH.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Ha, no. Most of DMC's environments are static, with only a few very small constantly animated assets. They don't have anything near the level of environmental animation going on.

And here's a fun fact - when I recently replayed DMC4, I had some serious framerate lag in the forest, fighting two Fausts next to the raging river. The system dropped below 20fps until I moved my camera orientation away from so many of the animations. So....a river and two billowing cloaks in DMC4 were enough to lag out my system until I did something to avoid having all three of those things animate on my screen at once.

Just saying.
I wasn't talking about the enviromental animation but meh, fair point in that regard.

What system did you play DMC4 on? I'm curious because SCIENCE!

Nero.

No. That'd be gross. I mean...you could be into that sorta thing, but it's not really my kinda thing.

In all seriousness, though, I mean what I say. So far in my time here, you've done little but say extremely subjective things backed up only by misinformation that either you've said yourself or that you contrive (like blaming Capcom and Ninja Theory for things unaffiliated parties say).

You haven't given me one iota of evidence to many of your claims, and the stuff you just spewed before about what was "proven false" (that I responded to) is more of the exact same stuff I've been calling you out on.

Plus, there's the stuff Dante Redgrave is saying above me. You're being very hyperbolic about Itsuno's involvement. He certainly was there to oversee the combat and make tweaks at all times, but that was the whole point - NT makes it, Itsuno refines it to a standard that he felt was good for what they were doing with the project. And from what I remember hearing, the claim that early on in development Itsuno completely altered the combat engine from what NT originally had shown him, but that's sort of what always happens in game development - the dev team works on a prototype build that displays the intended flow of combat, and then they go from there, refining it into something that usually ends up being extremely different than the bare-bones prototype they started with. The fact that the game went through an extremely common phase of its development isn't the mark of a bad game, no matter how much you wish it was.

Dat feel of missing the point fack this confirmation bias everywhere I'm done here.

Kishido

Hunter
Even if I think some of the criticm was over the top... This is bullshit. The people have spoken with their money... Simple as that

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Foolishness Tony Foolishness

Like I Said not even 30 seconds ago GO DO YOUR RESEARCH.

And please do your own. You keep spouting the exact same thing over and over and site NO sources. if you refer to early EARLY on comments about reowrkin the engine...yeah...all the DMCs went through that, it's why they have a director to oversee and help guide the project. CAPCOM has said they are VERY HAPPY with NT's work, and Itsuno's attitude has been that the trials they all faced were the bumps of hybridizing two different working styles; east meets west. Not once has Capcom's staff ever express displeasure with NT or their crew, so you know what, do YOUR own research and back your bile up. Otherwise, stick to "I just don't like the change of setting or the more accessable combat engine that could easily evolve to become more technical in the future" and give viable real reasons to leave this game as something youd don't want to play.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just read the article and state what your thoughts everything else that was stated is filler.
I think that it's uncalled for and it not really anyone's fault.

Here's the thing, Capcom kinda burned a bridge with the DMC fans, they, we, are just not going to buy the damn thing, but it's not like our dislike of it deterrents others from buying.

The way I see it is that DmC is not a DMC title but rather a new IP and it's going trough what all new IPs go through, specially in this genre. It's selling as well as Bayonetta did and it's not as though those are bad numbers for a new IP, they are good, but they shouldn't have counted on it having he numbers of a DMC title since it's target audience is a new demographic. I think the game will find it's audience, like all other titles, and do better on, if there is one, it's second run.

Nero.

And please do your own. You keep spouting the exact same thing over and over and site NO sources. if you refer to early EARLY on comments about reowrkin the engine...yeah...all the DMCs went through that, it's why they have a director to oversee and help guide the project. CAPCOM has said they are VERY HAPPY with NT's work, and Itsuno's attitude has been that the trials they all faced were the bumps of hybridizing two different working styles; east meets west. Not once has Capcom's staff ever express displeasure with NT or their crew, so you know what, do YOUR own research and back your bile up. Otherwise, stick to "I just don't like the change of setting or the more accessable combat engine that could easily evolve to become more technical in the future" and give viable real reasons to leave this game as something youd don't want to play.

Dat feel of nonsense I no longer care neither should you.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Don't forget that the DMC movie in the works is a DmC title, that should help with sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom