• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

OG DMC Fans Blamed for Low DmC sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I never said anything about gay being bad. Dude, one of my best friends is gay. You have to admit Dante did look pretty stupid in DMC 4 and yes it did look kind of gay. I don't know who thought that the chaps and overabundance of leather was supposedly cool because it just looked really strange.

Good lord you actually just typed that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomeOfMyBestFriendsAreX

That's made my day.

Dante's clothing is intentionally evocative of cowboys because it's an idealized image of classic heroism, where personal freedom and virtue are defining factors.

gunsmoke2-hi.jpg

It's a play on the fact that his father was a chivalrous knight, and that the cowboy is the contemporary rendition of that classic persona. It might look silly, but Dante doesn't care because he's too busy breakdancing on a demon's face.

The real definition of cool is when you're beyond giving a crap what people think of you. Not when you need to use women as decorations to make yourself seem potent.

guest-controller-dmc-devil-may-cry-gamescom-art-3-dante_angels_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

What a twat.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Good lord you actually just typed that.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomeOfMyBestFriendsAreX

That's made my day.

Dante's clothing is intentionally evocative of cowboys because it's an idealized image of classic heroism, where personal freedom and virtue are defining factors.

gunsmoke2-hi.jpg

It's a play on the fact that his father was a chivalrous knight, and that the cowboy is the contemporary rendition of that classic persona. It might look silly, but Dante doesn't care because he's too busy breakdancing on a demon's face.

Yes I did because it's true. He's my neighbor across the street. You can believe me or not I don't care but you have also no grounds to say I'm wrong and I will say it again, that costume was weird and he did look like he lost his way to a gay bar. You know, me and my friends don't get all p!ssy or defensive if someone makes jokes about this kind of sh!t and you we do make fun of our friend just as much as he makes fun of us. I don't need you trying to come in being Mr. righteous and politically correct.

How did they expect us to buy this game when they kept bashing and putting down Classic DMC fans?
Seriously, it's like they wanted people to hate this game. "hurrrr you guys just don't like it because of the hair xDD"

Gimme a break.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
You have to admit Dante did look pretty stupid in DMC 4 and yes it did look kind of gay.

So looking stupid=gay? I thought liking members of the same sex made you guy, but no I guess you just have to be flamboyant.

Also if Dante was gay, guess what? I wouldn't care he still kicks ass....and none of my friends are gay.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I wonder how some people can judge if someone else is "gay" just by looking at them.
Idk but gay was the last thing that came to mind when I saw Dante's design in DMC4. Since when did chaps = gay anyway? I must've missed something lol.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I wonder how some people can judge if someone else is "gay" just by looking at them.
Looking at Dante in 4 it's a decent guess. That dude wore more leather than a gimp. I'd actually want to Dante to be openly gay because how many characters in video games are like that? The only characters I can think of that had that kind of sexual preference were the girls in Fear Effect and I like Fear Effect. The characters were cool. I vote in the next Devil May Cry Dante is openly gay. I'm serious that sounds interesting. It's just the idea that you never really see anything like this like, ever.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Looking at Dante in 4 it's a decent guess. That dude wore more leather than a gimp. I'd actually want to Dante to be openly gay because how many characters in video games are like that? The only characters I can think of that had that kind of sexual preference were the girls in Fear Effect and I like Fear Effect. The characters were cool. I vote in the next Devil May Cry Dante is openly gay. I'm serious that sounds interesting. It's just the idea that you never really see anything like this like, ever.

Well, considering he's not even secretly gay, that's a major change of character. VERGIL on the other hand, considering his classic universe distain of human women...
...hang on... OH WAIT! You don't mean Dante being openly homosexual, you mean openly HAPPY! Yes, he already is, what made you think he was being secretive about being a happy person with his life?

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
I actually read somewhere that Tameen wished that Dante was openly gay or something like that. Not gonna lie, it would've made him a more interesting character to say the least.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I actually read somewhere that Tameen wanted to make Dante openly gay or something like that. Not gonna lie, it would've made him a more interesting character to say the least.

...that honestly wouldn't really have changed his character. I don't recall any such interview, only slightlest reference is Bob's smear campgain of Dante being a "known sexual deviant".

Valcorn

I wonder myself how are people so sure of others sexual orientation by looks alone. Blame his fashion designer ;D Maybe him and Lady do some bondage, you know... :)

DarkSlayer54

I would hate to see Dante become gay. To me, that would be like having James Bond be gay...
It would be interesting to see them introduce a new character that's gay, but changing Dante? No thanks. I've always thought of him as a ladies man, and a change to that would be far too different for me.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
...can't view from work...but IIRC that one right, that was NT basically stating "Dante's not gay, that's in-story smear campaign by Raptor News against him"
Can't see it from work? Gotcha. Maybe it is the one you're referring to. Would it help if I just copy and paste? Maybe you'll recognize it.

When the news anchor in this Devil May Cry trailer called Dante a "sexual deviant," the connotations of such a phrase harkened back to eras of gross intolerance of homosexuality in the 70s and 80s, and led us and others on Twitter to question if this new Dante might, himself, be gay.

"No, he's not gay," Ninja Theory chief designer Tameem Antoniades told us at E3, while Capcom's Motohide Eshiro laughed in the background. His translator said it wasn't the first time they'd been asked. "But I kind of wish he was now," Antoniades said.

The news anchor, it turns out, is a demon, and his radical, extremist views on human morality mean he will say anything to villainize Dante in Limbo City, even reverting to out-dated, irreverent labels such as "terrorist" and "sexual deviant" in loud, alarmist segments. Thankfully we don't have anything like that in reality.

Dante's redesign stems from Capcom Japan giving Ninja Theory complete creative control over the new title. Capcom
wants to connect with the western market in a bold and distinctive way and, to Ninja Theory, that means Dante's new appearance, portraying him with short brown hair, a lean body and sleeping naked, apparently.

Dante is a rebel in every sense of the word: His sword is named Rebellion, he's part angel and demon rolled into a fleshy human body, and he's out to destroy Lilith, the demon in control of Limbo City. Anything else you may hear about his character may just be over-hyped lies disguised as truth -- or news.

By all means if I read it wrong correct me ok? Nothing worse then spreading around false info after all.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
All this talk of "how do we judge sexuality by looks" is pretty retarded, but at the same time, I find if funny that people are shielding DMC4 Dante from the idea of homosexuality when people avidly against DmC have gone on to call Dante the same such thing with a very negative connotation time and time again :/

Either way, it's a stupid conversation to be sure.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Can't see it from work? Gotcha. Maybe it is the one you're referring to. Would it help if I just copy and paste? Maybe you'll recognize it.
~snips~
By all means if I read it wrong correct me ok? Nothing worse then spreading around false info after all.
Yep, that's the one I thought it was. It basically confirms that Dante wasn't gay, that the comments by Bob were part of instory smear, and Tameem either being flippant or a smartass on "wish he was", and telling about how Capcom's guys get asked that all the time.

Gott'a love how blatently incorrect a lot fo that article was, saying LILITH was the boss in charge of Limbo City and that NT had "full creative control" of the game's look when infact they did NOT, and had been outright instructed by Capcom "do it this way, not just anyway you think works."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom