• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New York Comic-Con

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
You guys. Japanese Jade kind of exaggerated what they said in East vs West.
It was actually respectful to the source material, they just wanted to explain why the big changes in the first place.

Ah, you found them! Now people can evaluate the panel discussion for themselves. As for what I said earlier about the whole East Vs West thing, I'm going to have to stick to my guns about how they presented it. People did find the comparisons of East and West funny. But in all seriousness, the materials they showed didn't seem fair. How they downplayed and glorified each culture to justify their re-imaginaton was too selective. The presentation made sense though and can come across as non offensive depending on the viewer. I kind of "awww"ed a few times seeing Dante in those movies shots. It was a point well made about Dante not fitting in Western film vibe. xD

I didn't mean to make it seem over exaggerated if you guys think so. How I saw things will be different than how you see it. But now that its up, you could see for yourselves! :)

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Wah, Part 2 cut off at the good part, i love Mo-cap! :'(

But those videos are still cool, I love them. And don't find anything offensive about how they compared the East and West, they were just stating a point that there are differences that's all.

pfizer

I'm liking what they're doing with Dante as a character -- giving some actual pathos and reasoning behind his admittedly abrasive nature. I really believe this Dante is going to be the most fleshed out incarnation of the character we're getting yet, with a much more complex reason for hunting demons besides "omg yu killd my mommah!!11". Classic Dante only ever implied the reasons why he was a demon hunter, but here I think they're going to fully explain everything.

And let's be honest; you get tortured and abused for a good portion of your childhood by these horrible things, then you find out that you, or at least some part of you, is one of them? That'll do a number on anyone. The guy's actually pretty well adjusted all things considering.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for finding this Paexie! I noticed in the monlogue it's showing artwork of Dante and they show the scene where Dante is opening up his chest to look at his heart! :D

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
There was an open scar beneath his clothing. He was just examining it. Not literally opening up his body to see whats inside xD
Oh, I thought he was having a mental break down.

Did you see there was an artwork, a think with women in it? I couldn't tell. The quality isn't that clear.

Dante Deve Morire

Trapped in Limbo
Interview

GameZone: So DmC is coming out pretty soon now, how has it been leading up to the release?

Motohide Eshiro: We're not far from release. We're in the home stretch so to speak, squashing the last few bugs and polishing for quality. We're in good shape.

GameZone: It was reported that DmC was mostly complete back in April, how have you progressed with it since then?

Motohide Eshiro: Around the April time frame the parts were aligned. But in any game, especially a combat-heavy game like this where the control feel is of utmost importance, first you get everything in and playtest it intensely. You figure out what works and what doesn't work and you continue to refine and polish. That's a process that takes several months.

GameZone: On the topic of fine-tuned combat, a lot of character-action games fall into two categories: the really technical ones and the ones that appeal to a more casual audience. What direction has DmC gone in?
Motohide Eshiro: I can tell you what we were aiming for on the Capcom Japan side. It's a very Capcom-y sort of design philosophy. You want to make the entryway as wide as possible with instinctive, easy-to-execute controls. The angel and demon mechanic using the triggers, at first on paper might sound overly complicated, but once you've got the controller in your hand it's quite smooth.
The more you learn, the more you figure out how to cancel things or how to string together more complicated combos. It's up to you how far you want to go with that. Our goal has always been to give you that extra layer of depth should you choose to go in that direction.

GameZone: Could explain a bit about the philosophy behind the angel and demon mechanics in DmC?

Motohide Eshiro: The angel and demon mechanic is tied into the storyline. They stem from Dante's half-demonic, half-angelic genetic make-up. It's always good when you can work something like that into gameplay as well and that was something Ninja Theory devised and we helped them refine. It allows you to explore two very different styles of gameplay. The different movesets and weapons speak to different sides of Dante's personality.

GameZone: Ninja Theory is known for very cinematic games. How is that aspect of their talent being brought to DmC?

Alex Jones: Those guys have massive standard-setting skills at narrative and cutscenes. The idea was to give them, more or less, free reign to let their skill run wild. That was part of the reason we settled on a rebirth. It gave Ninja Theory the ability to tell their own story within that world. And obviously those guys do amazing cinematics. They have a lot of tech built up. They shoot on mo-cap studios where Avatar was created. It's one of their main passions to move narrative and characters ahead in games.
In making the game more Western focused, narrative was a big part of that. Obviously if you're four or five sequels deep into something the story can get a little overgrown and present a barrier to entry for new people. And so telling it in a more direct, simple, Western way seemed to fit well with the idea of rebirthing the franchise.

GameZone: There was a lot of controversy about the character redesign, especially in terms of the look. How has the character changed personality-wise?

Motohide Eshiro: You see a lot of similarities between the Dante of old and the new one. But at the same time he's younger, he's more brash, and he's much more rooted in reality. This character is a bit darker. He has past experience with demons that give him this sort of inner rage. One way to look at it is that until now it's been skewing more towards the entertainment side of things, like something you'd see in a comic book, whereas this is tuned more toward "if this person actually existed, this is how they would behave."

GameZone: We noticed this character in the demo that was sort of a ghostly image helping you along. Can you tell us a little about her?

Alex Jones: Oh, yeah, Kat. She's a medium, so she's a human who has the ability to project herself into limbo, though, not as concretely as Dante. Occasionally she will show up and mark places where you can interact. Narratively, she serves the function of being the person who has Dante engage with the struggle against the demons on more than a revenge level.

GameZone: Can you tell us about the decision to collaborate with real bands for DmC'ssoundtrack?

Alex Jones: It was largely Ninja Theory. We gave them a lot of latitude in terms of the music collection for the game. We wanted some degree of continuity in the style of music from previousDMC's. But this one, in the context of a more Western-centered game, will use more Western-centered artists. So we have Combichrist which is sort of a hard-driving punk band and then we have Noisia which is more electronic. We wanted to use bands that were potentially up-and-coming or maybe had a following to begin with. But mostly it was driven by the passion of the creative director and audio director at Ninja Theory.

GameZone: We know the game isn't even out yet, but do you have any plans to expand it with DLC?

Motohide Eshiro: You know, it's a pretty standard thing nowadays, so we are definitely looking into and exploring some things we can do with DLC.
Alex Jones: Yeah right now we have our hands full just getting this thing out.

GameZone: Any ideas for something you may want to do down the line?
Motohide Eshiro: For now it's too soon to say, but we've got a lot of ideas. (laughs)
GameZone: Thank you for your time!
Alex Jones: Thank you!

http://www.gamezone.com/products/dm...l-may-cry-with-motohide-eshiro-and-alex-jones

berto

I Saw the Devil
Ah, you found them! Now people can evaluate the panel discussion for themselves. As for what I said earlier about the whole East Vs West thing, I'm going to have to stick to my guns about how they presented it. People did find the comparisons of East and West funny. But in all seriousness, the materials they showed didn't seem fair. How they downplayed and glorified each culture to justify their re-imaginaton was too selective. The presentation made sense though and can come across as non offensive depending on the viewer. I kind of "awww"ed a few times seeing Dante in those movies shots. It was a point well made about Dante not fitting in Western film vibe. xD

I didn't mean to make it seem over exaggerated if you guys think so. How I saw things will be different than how you see it. But now that its up, you could see for yourselves! :)
I have to agree. The selections of of each representation are more how they see the cultures rather than the be best of each. Japan's music isn't all colorful gothy bands, for example, their musuc has as much range as any country in the world, actually, more than most, and most of them don't dress colorfuly. The rest of it, though I could barely make out what their examples for evil were, seemed just as unfair. For the west the only thing I could make out was Regan from the Exorcist, while it seemed as though the East side was all anime characters... Japan had a suden rise in popularety a few years ago when they started making scary movies, those seemed to have been forgoten. Japan isn't all anime, but people don't really care to venture outside of it and explore it seems.

I think there is a misguided POV that Japan has mostly Otaku prefrence twards their culture. Most gamers, from what I understand, are otaku and therefore they are the ones that Japanese companies cater to, but Japan is not all Otaku and from what I've read Otaku is just as bad as nerd to the none geek in Japan as anywhere else.

I was having a hard time understanding why all this talk of East vs West but I guess I found it and I have to say I find some of condecending, misinformed, silly, and often times rather narow minded despite their best intentions. They are trying, though, I'll give 'em that.

Paexie

I have to agree. The selections of of each representation are more how they see the cultures rather than the be best of each. Japan's music isn't all colorful gothy bands, for example, their musuc has as much range as any country in the world, actually, more than most, and most of them don't dress colorfuly. The rest of it, though I could barely make out what their examples for evil were, seemed just as unfair. For the west the only thing I could make out was Regan from the Exorcist, while it seemed as though the East side was all anime characters... Japan had a suden rise in popularety a few years ago when they started making scary movies, those seemed to have been forgoten. Japan isn't all anime, but people don't really care to venture outside of it and explore it seems.

I think there is a misguided POV that Japan has mostly Otaku prefrence twards their culture. Most gamers, from what I understand, are otaku and therefore they are the ones that Japanese companies cater to, but Japan is not all Otaku and from what I've read Otaku is just as bad as nerd to the none geek in Japan as anywhere else.

I was having a hard time understanding why all this talk of East vs West but I guess I found it and I have to say I find some of condecending, misinformed, silly, and often times rather narow minded despite their best intentions. They are trying, though, I'll give 'em that.
You are broadening this up. They chose those things because they feel like it create a bridge between the jrock/heavy metal/orchestral goth music from DMC to the punk/industrial/drums and base of DmC. They weren't generalizing the culture. They literally said what would happen if Dante had western upbringings. They added that they wanted to explore why he is the way he is.

I think you've overlooked it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No, I heard that, but I still feel that they are using unfair examples. Mostly starting with usind DMC4's Dante, which, granted, is the most recent incarnation, but is also not the most recognizable or popular.

Paexie

I also get the feeling that they made it like a little quip and nod to all the photoshop edits on DmCDante in deviantart and other forums. I have to admit, while to make that point across was pretty ridiculous, it was also freaking hilarious.
Yeah, they should have used DMC3Dante since it also points out the whole origin story together.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So, I'm doing a recap for people interested, regarding the user's comments about NYCC:

1) Demo for DmC featured 2 missions: Under Watch and Secret Ingredient. We both know these ones.

2) There are a lot of different combos to perform.

3) It's hard to get a SSS rank.

4) Alex Jones said the PC version will run at 60fps.

5) X-Box live and PSN demo windows are still up in the air, but the crew promised they will be hit before the game's release.

6) Game will be in depth about Dante's origin and the story around his life. The user said that a monologue was shown, featuring a timeline where Dante recites about his youth into young adult hood and how he became the way he is. It was a video with 2 minutes of cell rendered scenes drawing from scenes of Dante's life before the events of DmC. Voice actor of Dante was narrating it.

7) Mundus is the villain for the entire game. The crew refused to talk anything about other characters.

8) They said Mundus is the King of Underworld rather than being the Prince of Darkness ( according to Jones words).

9) The user said that a lot of DMC's fans were there and they said they would give a chance and play the new game.

10) Alex spoke about "novelty" game modes that encourage the player to hold into the game and give replay value after completing the main quest.

11) They said that Bloody Palace is back, but it was renamed into something else.

12) They said that DLC wasn't planned during development stages.

13) About Vergil being playable, the crew said that if we like to keep our hopes up, then maybe they'll make something happen.

14) The "bad" side is that the user said they wanted to downplay the original Dante, by giving 5 examples of how he would be laughable in Western films. ( they did show through power point).

15) Another boring part is comparing East and West.

16) They let people recording the event, which means it may be online soon.

I think that's it

1) Of course

2) I hope there is a lot of combos for each weapons and a lot of weapons.......there better be.

3) It better getting SSS rank in DMC3 was a bit of a challenge but getting it in DMC4 (with Dante mainly) was easy as pie due to Nero's lack of moves compared to Dante and some of them were hard to pull off so it was hard achieving SSS rank with Nero only if there was enough enemies.

4) Its DMC4 all over again

5) I hope this demo is a more polished build than any of the previous builds and have little to zero glitches at all

6) That'll be interesting to hear

7) Ohhhh I didn't see that coming (sarcasm)

8) King makes more sense than Prince and I think even though King of Underworld means the king of hell in DmC, I think its supposed to reference a lot of media/shows/movies that uses Underworld as a crime unit or sector which for DmC fits pretty well and as for Prince of Darkness is just a reference to Satan/Hades.

9) Hmmmm.....wait a lot of the DMC fans said they will actually give this game a try?

10) "Novelty" modes??? Gives us more to do after completing the main quest (main story).....its either an interesting new modes or just they threw in a lot of in game bonus content to encourage replayability to find all of these unlockables but I'll be encouraged to see.

11) YEAHH!!!! I hope its like DMC2/DMC3 BP modes and not as cheaply done as DMC4 BP mode. I wonder what they'll call it....will it even still be Bloody Palace Mode.

12) Shocking....especially for Capcom but DMC4 didn't had DLC so its like Capcom loves DLCfying their other game's but when it comes to DMC they go whateves. Kojima already announced that MGR will have DLC missions and a DLC character and Capcom announces nothing about DLC because there is no planned ones.

13) Vergil will probably end up being DLC and hopefully have his own mode/story. He'll probably be on the PC version for free.

14) Idiots the wound was already healed there was no need to pick at the scab.

15) LAAMMMMEEEE!!!!!

16) Hmmm....I would look them up but nah I'll wait for the demo LIKE A BOSS meanwhile I'll play some DMC HD Collection.

Top Bottom