• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New York Comic-Con

Paexie

From the presentation they gave today, that seems to be the whole thesis of their argument. This whole "East Cool vs West Cool" seems to drive the very core of how they approached this re-imagination. It really shows too. Capcom Japan must've been ashamed of how badly they handled Kamiya's franchise. For them to want to "westernize it" so badly only shows the goal of what this game is really trying to do. It almost feels like gameplay is secondary to sales. They kept talking about trying to make DmC reach Western film standards which is a huge stride. To do that with a game that was built originally on Eastern roots its practically impossible but Ninja Theory has come a long way with their presentations.
Sigh. Why can't we have more games that seamlessly mesh story/presentation/gameplay? There are way too few of them: Bastion, Silent Hill2, Portal, Ico and SoC... and I don't know what else. This makes me sad.

I'm all for taking new spins at things, but hey, the gameplay looks solid and fun and in the end, that's what a game should ultimately be the rest should just enhance the experience.

Devil Player

From the presentation they gave today, that seems to be the whole thesis of their argument. This whole "East Cool vs West Cool" seems to drive the very core of how they approached this re-imagination. It really shows too. Capcom Japan must've been ashamed of how badly they handled Kamiya's franchise. For them to want to "westernize it" so badly only shows the goal of what this game is really trying to do. It almost feels like gameplay is secondary to sales. They kept talking about trying to make DmC reach Western film standards which is a huge stride. To do that with a game that was built originally on Eastern roots its practically impossible but Ninja Theory has come a long way with their presentations.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Why focusing on West and East? That's what has started fights and dislikes from some people ( including fans from the previous games).

They really should stop with that, and they better start promoting the game a lot. Now, that's gonna be the real test for them. I know many people curious about the games and I also know people who didn't even know about it, and I'm talking about hardcore fans. That shows how they lack PR skills.

I'm confident about more game info, instead of the whole West and East universe, lol.

Paexie

Sometimes Japanese developers do make games based on what is cool in the West.

Example:

250px-Anarchy_Reigns_box_art.jpg

It was a very great game but the Japanese public didn't show much interest in because it wasn't for Japanese style (Gears of War beefy guys with chainsaws, buff pimps, and gansta stereotypes don't meet well with Japanese people's standards) or maybe SEGA is to blame for their poor advertising skills (Sega's thought process "Not Sonic......don't give a sh*t")
Oh, man. I agree. I mean look, FFX is one of the highest ranking games in Japan. FFVI(3) (and VII) is the highest here. Guess why. The tone of the games just speak to different cultures.

I have to admit while NT has a point, the sad thing is that fans of DMC just have a taste for the east style of things. I prefer a bit of both. Can't satisfy everyone, you know?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Exactly! Who cares about what's cool in the East and what's cool in the West? You know what's cool in both the East and the West? A game with good gameplay.
Not nessesarely but it certainly helps.

Cool is subjective but universal, there are characters that are cool everywhere, east or west, whatever their origin. I'm sure we could all list a mile long row of names for both sides of the world and everything in between but let's just leave it both.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Not nessesarely but it certainly helps.

Cool is subjective but universal, there are characters that are cool everywhere, east or west, whatever their origin. I'm sure we could all list a mile long row of names for both sides of the world and everything in between but let's just leave it both.
Hey you show me someone from either culture who plays games who doesn't like good gameplay.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hey you show me someone from either culture who plays games who doesn't like good gameplay.
How does that equate to 'cool'?

I've played pleanty of good games that don't fall under 'cool,' they fall under preaty, scary, sad, addictive, brutal, cleaver, and so on, but only a handful could really be descrived as cool. I'm not even sure awesome and cool can be bundled as the same thing, ether.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
How does that equate to 'cool'?

I've played pleanty of good games that don't fall under 'cool,' they fall under preaty, scary, sad, addictive, brutal, cleaver, and so on, but only a handful could really be descrived as cool. I'm not even sure awesome and cool can be bundled as the same thing, ether.
It doesn't. That was my point. It doesn't matter what's cool what matters is the gameplay. Did you not read my comment that you quoted?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I see. Well, I do have to dissagree to a large extent. The original DMC was actually pretty cool and it drew appeal because of it. I understand that a game will alway come down to it's gameplay quality but at the same time there has to be more to it than that. We are long pased the time of video games been nothing more than the gameplay, there has to be more than that, a story, an atmosphere, a feel. Bottom line is it has to have personality along with that gameplay or people will play it once, maybe twice, and move on.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I see. Well, I do have to dissagree to a large extent. The original DMC was actually pretty cool and it drew appeal because of it. I understand that a game will alway come down to it's gameplay quality but at the same time there has to be more to it than that. We are long pased the time of video games been nothing more than the gameplay, there has to be more than that, a story, an atmosphere, a feel. Bottom line is it has to have personality along with that gameplay or people will play it once, maybe twice, and move on.
I agree with you, but I was just saying the main point of a video game is the gameplay, everything else is a plus. In this day in age there has to be something to move the gameplay along.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
When he was asked about Bloody Palace, Jones and the crew teased the public, by saying it would have a different name.

The user said that the monologue scene was basically a 1 or 2 minutes video cell rendered drawings from scenes of Dante's life before the events of DmC. The voice actor for Dante was narrating it

I wish I could see this, so muuuuuch *_______*

Tiran

The great pretender.
That "East vs. West" power point presentation may cause more harm to the pr for this game than good. If it is as damaging as it sounds, it's probably for the best that this footage never surfaces. If this re-energizes negative reactions, fuels the points of legitimate doubts against this game and sets everything back two years, I can go without seeing it.

ninjaa93

yeaaah .....the f*ck up i would have been embarrassed just being there this is why alot of countries thing we are assholes atleast have cultural respect nope now we have the condescending european sterotype

Devil Player

So, I'm doing a recap for people interested, regarding the user's comments about NYCC:

1) Demo for DmC featured 2 missions: Under Watch and Secret Ingredient. We both know these ones.

2) There are a lot of different combos to perform.

3) It's hard to get a SSS rank.

4) Alex Jones said the PC version will run at 60fps.

5) X-Box live and PSN demo windows are still up in the air, but the crew promised they will be hit before the game's release.

6) Game will be in depth about Dante's origin and the story around his life. The user said that a monologue was shown, featuring a timeline where Dante recites about his youth into young adult hood and how he became the way he is. It was a video with 2 minutes of cell rendered scenes drawing from scenes of Dante's life before the events of DmC. Voice actor of Dante was narrating it.

7) Mundus is the villain for the entire game. The crew refused to talk anything about other characters.

8) They said Mundus is the King of Underworld rather than being the Prince of Darkness ( according to Jones words).

9) The user said that a lot of DMC's fans were there and they said they would give a chance and play the new game.

10) Alex spoke about "novelty" game modes that encourage the player to hold into the game and give replay value after completing the main quest.

11) They said that Bloody Palace is back, but it was renamed into something else.

12) They said that DLC wasn't planned during development stages.

13) About Vergil being playable, the crew said that if we like to keep our hopes up, then maybe they'll make something happen.

14) The "bad" side is that the user said they wanted to downplay the original Dante, by giving 5 examples of how he would be laughable in Western films. ( they did show through power point).

15) Another boring part is comparing East and West.

16) They let people recording the event, which means it may be online soon.

I think that's it

Paexie

The vids are already online but all of them are poor, shaky quality. It was actually quite funny.

Paexie

Sorry for another post in a row. I just wanted to say.
That little vignette (second video at 1:30) was really short but it's actually depressing for Dante, but at the same time it shows why he's a strong person. I dig it.

Devil Player

You guys. Japanese Jade kind of exaggerated what they said in East vs West.
It was actually respectful to the source material, they just wanted to explain why the big changes in the first place.

That's nice, I think I love you, lol. :)

As for Japanese Jade, I think it depends on how we see that. He didn't say he hated it, he said that antis would dislike the discussion about West and East. Personally, it seems fine, despite being not necessary focusing on that.

Top Bottom