• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
To be fair, in the novel before DMC he already met Vergil so it wasn't a game-breaker for me.

But the thing is did they tell you the timeline in game or did you find out elsewhere?

I don't know if I replied already, but in DMC1 Trish says Dante lost his family twenty years ago. As that happened when he was eight, he's 28 in DMC1. Capcom stated that DMC4 takes place around ten years after DMC3. As Dante's 19 there, Dante would be about 29/30/31 in DMC4. They never said anything about DMC2, other than that it takes place after DMC4.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't know if I replied already, but in DMC1 Trish says Dante lost his family twenty years ago. As that happened when he was eight, he's 28 in DMC1. Capcom stated that DMC4 takes place around ten years after DMC3. As Dante's 19 there, Dante would be about 29/30/31 in DMC4. They never said anything about DMC2, other than that it takes place after DMC4.

But that's not what im asking. I'm asking if you learned that info from the game itself like if you read it in a data file or the characters said it rather than if the developers said it in a interview.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
But that's not what im asking. I'm asking if you learned that info from the game itself like if you read it in a data file or the characters said it rather than if the developers said it in a interview.

Not sure. I don't think the games actually said much about the timeline. All I remember was Trish saying Dante's 28 in DMC1. And that Sparda returned to the human world in the 20th century to father Dante and Vergil with Eva. That's it. Still, I'd say we can trust the people who developed those games in the first place :p No sense in going ''But how do we know that's true?''

Does anybody know more about the timeline as stated in the games' data files and such?
I recommend you watch some videos of the old DMCs on Youtube or wherever, anyway. Maybe there's even videos of those data files. I remember the story being fleshed out pretty well in the DMC HD collection, so I can watch that again.

Valcorn

Still not Vergil's son?
dante_and_nero_by_kasushka-d5zy6it.png

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Still not Vergil's son?

Yes, thanks for pointing out that he looks like Dante (and Vergil). Nobody had noticed until now. Truly.

He's got platinum hair and blue eyes. Imagine that. I don't call that proof for anything. All we know is that Nero is somehow related to Sparda, and therefore also Dante and Vergil. No sense saying he's Vergil's son, as that theory has been disproved multiple times in this thread alone. The parallels to Sparda would make little sense as well if he were Vergil's son. I personally don't expect Nero to be anything other than a mistake. It would be nice if he made sense, but I doubt he does.

I know you want him to be Vergil's son, but that kind of post doesn't help.

Until Capcom or somebody else officially clarifies where he came from, I'm going with:
- an indirect descendant of Sparda
- An experiment created by using Sparda's DNA or that of Dante and Vergil. No, Agnus obviously had nothing to do with it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Valcorn is now on the kick of the OLD notations from the new art book, even though it was DROPPED from the final game and only Bingo still pushed it afterwards. Director statements overrided and retcon old and dropped ideas as well as one scenario writer's continued wants.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
...Fact; Director said "not directly related." In an inteview. fact. Direct also said "DMC4 is ten years after dmc3" in an interview. Fact. This places Vergil as 9 years old when Nero was born by the timelines and ages previously given. Fact. this makes Nero VERIFIED as, in teh final product, too old to be Vergil's Son. FACT; Bingo admitted many of teh plot elements he put into the novelization he wrote AFTER he left capcom were dropped for various reason in production. FACT; artbooks usually contain dropped or old OUTDATED info based on early concept ideas.

So which facts again are YOU still ignoring? :troll:

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
And I see you are still well and refusing to accept facts.

Like Dante Redgrave said, if Nero is 19, and Dante is supposed to be around thirty in DMC4, how on earth could Nero be Vergil's son? Thirty minus 19 makes 11. So Vergil had Nero when he was eleven. Maybe he was meant to be Vergil's son. Fine, but he isn't. And yet, after the game was released, Capcom have said they were surprised we hadn't figured it out yet. They never give a direct answer to the question of where Nero came from, though.

What exactly are we refusing to see, according to you? Nero has white hair and looks like Dante and Vergil. You don't say. I guess that somehow means he's Vergil's son by default. So I'm guessing if I looked like you, I'd be your son, huh? Excellent logic, there. And if Dante looks like Vergil, he's Vergil's son and vice versa! Of course!!! (just disregarding their age, like you do too.)

I'm seriously wondering whether or not you're trolling. In any case, I won't reply to useless comments.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Like Dante Redgrave said, if Nero is 19, and Dante is supposed to be around thirty in DMC4, how on earth could Nero be Vergil's son? Thirty minus 19 makes 11. So Vergil had Nero when he was eleven. Maybe he was meant to be Vergil's son. Fine, but he isn't. And yet, after the game was released, Capcom have said they were surprised we hadn't figured it out yet. They never give a direct answer to the question of where Nero came from, though.

...they never even gave an INDIRECT answer. Capcom's gotten infamously bad for raising questions, then acting like they gave answers when they clearly didn't. I mean...the utter MESS that is Megaman and Megaman X's intercontunity is legendary for how much of a hole ridden nightmare THAT is.

seraphmaycry

LOL this thread already got out of hand

*plugs brain into internet, gets connectio
wait how can he be a son of sparda? sparda meant to be dead and dante and vergil CAN'T be his father (unless dante is a LOT older then vergil, but that makes even less sense) hmmmm mabye he is reincarnation of sparda or something? that might work

mabye he is not actually part of the family remember he was give to the order of the sword as a baby sparda wore a trenchcoat so to them it would be like I AM ZOMBIEEEE GIVE MEEEE TRENCHCOAT butonly a few others auctually wore a trenchcoat? but a few still wore ones so mabye as lionheart pointed out looking like someone does not make you their son

or mabye as sparda died or even when nelo died their soul or power or whatever you wanna call it searched and found nero auctually no wait sparda power is in sparda well that proves that power can be transferred to objects`

or mabye we are interpreting this wrong mabye nero is a normal guy who somehow got demonic powers that when he needed activated considering all the other **** i don't think it unreasonable for someone to be born with demonic POWA, i mean come on some of the **** lady does would NOT fall under the categorie of human abilities

mabye nero is demonic power taking a physical form sort of like evolution.... wait i like that idea

mabye he is clone or robot or something (neros weapons all are pretty techno, except for the claw) and was like spardas back up plan he was sent to live in fortuna so nobody would find him and was given subliminal orders in case sparda failed

these are the only things i can think of

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I would say at some point he was meant to be vergil's kid but they changed their minds either due too internal conflicts or cold feet. I would also gather they themselves haven't figured it out yet and were just pushing it off till the next one.

At this point i would say its still unkown and left up to whoever tackles it in the next game.

Valcorn

With all due respect, you two bring nothing new to the discussion either. The same old "interview from a few years ago" thing. Retcons happen, people change their minds, that's how it is. For an artwork, yes, they mostly show in-development ideas and stuff, but can you prove the same applies to that one? It appears to be a newer branch of art than the DT Nero in ur avatar, thus perhaps they were still playing with the idea quite late in development. But can you prove they dropped it? NOPE.

Again, Nero being Sparda is more retarded than Vergil's son. Ignore what kind of character he was and his age, it's irrelevant.
Look at the Sparda thing, it's simply worse and too cartoonish/fanfic that Sparda would be reborn. Play DMC4 with such mindset and it's ridiculous, Dante calling his father "kid" and **** and getting absorbed into a statue version of himself, simply NO.

Also Nero touched Sparda's Sword, shouldn't have he regained back his power and memories if he was Sparda?
Not to mention the whole business is around and with Yamato. Nero is obsessed with it and Dante has gifted it to him.
If Nero were Sparda, Dante would have given him the Sparda's Sword instead, noting it's in good hands, or not?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
And yet still many people argue he is Vergil's son or Sparda reborn without looking at the possible thought that he could be Vergil in some sort of shape or form. The Order regain Yamato and use actual pieces of Nelo Angelo's armour for their own purposes. There is your connection between The Order and Vergil. It may be possible that Nero got involved in everything The Order were doing and somehow became connected to Vergil's soul or something along those lines. I don't see why it has to be so blatantly put down to "He is Vergil's son". The idea seems implausible to me and not really well thought up.

As I've said time and time again, we don't what his background really is. That's why everyone just jumps on the fact that they are right. But at the end of the day, there is "fact" and then there's...FACT! And sometimes people just want to ignore fact because of their self righteous opinion.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
With all due respect, you two bring nothing new to the discussion either. The same old "interview from a few years ago" thing. Retcons happen, people change their minds, that's how it is. For an artwork, yes, they mostly show in-development ideas and stuff, but can you prove the same applies to that one? It appears to be a newer branch of art than the DT Nero in ur avatar, thus perhaps they were still playing with the idea quite late in development. But can you prove they dropped it? NOPE.

Can I prove they dropped it? Yes, by showing how Nero is not once referred to as Vergil's son. Nor was it implied. Nor did Capcom say he was. If Capcom said it should be obvious from watching the cutscenes and all, then I'd say he's somehow Sparda returned. And no, we don't bring anything new to the discussion. People ask me questions or state fallacies. I answer their questions and correct their mistakes if necessary. You do nothing besides posting a picture of Nero's similarity to Dante, saying ''still don't believe he's Vergil's son?'' At least my posts have the purpose of helping people understand and allowing for other people to come up with new ideas. You just exclude all ideas and go ''Vergil's son. End of story.'' How is that helping anyone? No offense, but I wouldn't post things if I only pi**ed people off, whether you intended to or not doesn't matter.

Again, Nero being Sparda is more retarded than Vergil's son. Ignore what kind of character he was and his age, it's irrelevant.

Not Sparda; something intended to be like Sparda. And no, I won't disregard his age as compared to that of Dante and Vergil. It's an important point that nobody seems to like agreeing to.

Look at the Sparda thing, it's simply worse and too cartoonish/fanfic that Sparda would be reborn.

Your opinion, not a fact.

Play DMC4 with such mindset and it's ridiculous, Dante calling his father "kid" and **** and getting absorbed into a statue version of himself, simply NO.

Nobody's saying he's Sparda reincarnated. If you want to think he is, go right ahead.

Also Nero touched Sparda's Sword, shouldn't have he regained back his power and memories if he was Sparda?

Again, Nero is not the same person as Sparda. If he were, he wouldn't be called Nero and wear red and blue instead of purple, and so on and so forth.

Not to mention the whole business is around and with Yamato. Nero is obsessed with it and Dante has gifted it to him.
If Nero were Sparda, Dante would have given him the Sparda's Sword instead, noting it's in good hands, or not?

The Sparda sword does not hold the power to close the Hell Gate, as far as I know. The whole reason for giving Yamato to Nero was because it held so much power. It had to be kept in good hands. Nero wanted it to keep his Devil Trigger, and so Nero got it. The Sparda sword was, well, Sparda's sword. Does that mean Dante is somehow supposed to give it to Nero by default? Hell no. I'm not surprised Dante wants to keep something that reminds him of his father, his heritage.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
And yet still many people argue he is Vergil's son or Sparda reborn without looking at the possible thought that he could be Vergil in some sort of shape or form. The Order regain Yamato and use actual pieces of Nelo Angelo's armour for their own purposes. There is your connection between The Order and Vergil. It may be possible that Nero got involved in everything The Order were doing and somehow became connected to Vergil's soul or something along those lines. I don't see why it has to be so blatantly put down to "He is Vergil's son". The idea seems implausible to me and not really well thought up.

As I've said time and time again, we don't what his background really is. That's why everyone just jumps on the fact that they are right. But at the end of the day, there is "fact" and then there's...FACT! And sometimes people just want to ignore fact because of their self righteous opinion.

We've been over this a few times now, if I remember correctly. It's somewhere in the dark depths of this thread. I don't think Nero is possessed by Vergil's soul. Nor does Nero's arm somehow magically contain Vergil's soul. It's his own arm, after all. I'm also pretty sure Nero is not a human who happens to have white hair and happens to look a lot like Dante and Vergil. It's blatantly stated in the games, after all, that Nero is a descendant of Sparda's blood. Which could mean he's offspring of Sparda's family or Sparda himself. And yes, considering Sanctus's odd way of putting it, it could also mean he was created by using Sparda's blood or that of Dante or Vergil (or both; you never know what can happen in video games). I thought it was very convenient that he's named after Nero Angelo (seemingly), but it wouldn't be that odd if his DT awakened due to him being stabbed by something created from Nero Angelo (the Gladius enemies and the Bianco Angelos).

Valcorn

I see, perhaps not you, but some other people believe in the reincarnation theory. You know what's damn funny? We are arguing about a fanfiction, if it was real, it could be as easy as to do DNA testing :D What an irony ._.
I guess we should make a petition for Capcom to release DMC4 expansion pack about Nero's trip into a hospital, oh wait, he doesn't care who his parents were nor if he had any, neither Capcom does, so we shouldn't likely either.

Jokes aside, taking into consideration that during the course of the game Nero is told that he is of Sparda's blood without any reaction to that could either mean he doesn't care, doesn't believe it or he is well aware of that.

I'm coming up with a brand new theory or at least not much heard of:

What if, Nero's parents attended the ascension ceremony and to either of them, Sparda's soul got attached thus him/her getting his powers, then Nero was born, meaning that he is a son of Sparda, but at the same time he isn't, good one, isn't it? :)
The only flaw to this would be tha seemingly the ceremony itself isn't older than the order getting hold of Yamato

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
We can't deny however that there is an obvious apparent connection between Nero and Vergil. The theory that I usually see is that he is Vergil's son or something along those lines. This comes from the fact that there is a connection between these two characters, hardly anything more.

I can make a connection between The Order's work and Vergil. And also I could put Nero in the picture. Still, this poses as nothing more than another theory. There is nothing more to it.

Nero may somehow (randomly to me) be Vergil's son. Nero may have came to be because he was part demon but was infected/altered more demonically by some essence of Vergil's power. He may be this that or the other.

My point is it looks like we may all never truly know what Nero was ever meant to be. Especially IF they aren't carrying on with the original Devil May Cry "story". Which is quite sad in a way really, because I can see this thread still existing until we're all in our eighties and can't even remember what Devil May Cry is anyway...

Valcorn

By that time this forums will be long gone, it's less and less active each day anyways, not much to talk about

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well usually nothing new to talk about but the same old, but that's the same with most things anyway.

I just realised that Nero is actually a dinosaur...Oh no wait, we had that whole thing with DmC Vergil didn't we? Forget I mentioned anything...

Top Bottom