• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I would say he is just a regular halfbreed who lived a average lifespan. That does not rule out he could be possessed by Vergil because Vergil would be more willing to posses a half-breed because their bodies are stronger than human beings.

The problem with the game was that they didn't commit to the character and the story so it suffers from lazy writing. The question of Nero being vergil/dante's kid could have been solved by just stating their ages in the game itself. You have data files on the characters so you could have just done that.

The game relies too much on trish's appearance to set up the timeline when it could have just done that through dialogue or taunts. Without her there is nothing that tells you when it takes place.

Yeah. In the end, DMC4 just doesn't make sense. Nor does DMC3 if you consider that Dante hadn't seen Vergil in DMC1 since they were eight. I do want to make it clear, though, that it was stated DMC4 takes place ten years after DMC3, and Dante is 19 in DMC3, so that would make him around 29 in DMC4. In DMC1, Trish says Dante lost a brother and mother to evil twenty years ago. As Dante was eight, he must be about 28 in DMC1. Dante and Vergil age normally.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Then get off the forums. Seriously, half of the forums is based on speculation. I have no time for people who respond to my comments only to say that they don't have time for them because they're 'meaningless'. I have played the games since 2002 or so, with DMC1. No offense, but don't lecture me on what is said in the games. I freaking know.

Thanks for the useless conversation, then.
Lionheart1991, your pointless whining is none of my concern.

You claimed something and I dissent it. That is all.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Alright, then I'll go to all your posts and go ''I disagree. Your comment is meaningless (and so is this response)''.
You sound so friggin self-important. Get the heck away from me and troll someone else.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

Seriously, don't you have anything better to do than say: ''herp derp, Sparda never said that, and it doesn't matter if he didn't literally say it''?

This was something Sparda might well have said, even if he didn't. If you don't care about that, then why respond in the first place? Answer: you were waiting for the opportunity to sound interesting and possibly get some likes. Or you had different reasons. In any case, I'm just going to say: I don't give a damn. I will not waste any more of my time on people who disagree for the fun of it. Rant over.

D-Sparda

Alright, then I'll go to all your posts and go ''I disagree. Your comment is meaningless (and so is this response)''.
You sound so friggin self-important. Get the heck away from me and troll someone else.
You do realise that your endeavor to cause me harm will be fruitless, right? The best that could happen, is you becoming a nuisance to a slight degree, unless you bring up good points in your disagreement instead of nonsense.

Seriously, don't you have anything better to do than say: ''herp derp, Sparda never said that, and it doesn't matter if he didn't literally say it''?

This was something Sparda might well have said, even if he didn't. If you don't care about that, then why respond in the first place? Answer: you were waiting for the opportunity to sound interesting and possibly get some likes. Or you had different reasons. In any case, I'm just going to say: I don't give a damn. I will not waste any more of my time on people who disagree for the fun of it. Rant over.
Disagreeing for the hell of it is a foolish aim. I already told you why I disapprove of your words and yet, you take offense.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Yeah. In the end, DMC4 just doesn't make sense. Nor does DMC3 if you consider that Dante hadn't seen Vergil in DMC1 since they were eight. I do want to make it clear, though, that it was stated DMC4 takes place ten years after DMC3, and Dante is 19 in DMC3, so that would make him around 29 in DMC4. In DMC1, Trish says Dante lost a brother and mother to evil twenty years ago. As Dante was eight, he must be about 28 in DMC1. Dante and Vergil age normally.

To be fair, in the novel before DMC he already met Vergil so it wasn't a game-breaker for me.

But the thing is did they tell you the timeline in game or did you find out elsewhere?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You do realise that your endeavor to cause me harm will be fruitless, right? The best that could happen, is you becoming a nuisance to a slight degree, unless you bring up good points in your disagreement instead of nonsense.

Disagreeing for the hell of it is a foolish aim. I already told you why I disapprove of your words and yet, you take offense.

Good points in my disagreement? That's rich coming from someone who just likes to go to random pages and call people's comments useless because a line taken from DMC4 wasn't said by Sparda (as if nobody realizes that!) I take offense because your comment was the useless one, not mine. If you want to be intelligent, start a discussion instead of just sitting there like an asinine robot who just discovered the marvels of dictionaries, going ''comment useless''.

You want it spelled out? Alright, here it is:

''Nowhere in the canon games, was it said or implied that he would endure exile for a mere female mortal, 2000 years ago.'' No sh**. I guess Sparda's powers getting sealed (him essentially becoming human - and exiled from the demon world because, you know, he killed their leader - when he closed the Hell Gate with his blood and that of a priestess 2000 years ago doesn't count? And the priestess was just some random girl, right? Not likely. Most likely he was in love with her, and was one of the reasons for him rebelling against the demon world, aside from preventing the demons from ruling over the humans. His 'exile' was being trapped, or at least losing his power. He would never be a true demon unless the seal were broken.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think the problem with the theories of Nero being possessed by Vergil/nero being Sparda's reincarnation is that the story supports those loosely without tailoring the game to those expierences.

If nero is sparda's reincarnation than he should be reliving sparda's memories at certain points and if Vergil's possesing him there should be more backlash to using the devil bringer and Vergil should be a voice in his head trying to tell him what to do.

D-Sparda

Good points in my disagreement? That's rich coming from someone who just likes to go to random pages and call people's comments useless because a line taken from DMC4 wasn't said by Sparda (as if nobody realizes that!) I take offense because your comment was the useless one, not mine. If you want to be intelligent, start a discussion instead of just sitting there like an asinine robot who just discovered the marvels of dictionaries, going ''comment useless''.
There is nothing more to it? No serious accusations can be seen.

You say you realize that Sparda never said Nero's line, but you wrote it first as if he actually said that as a fact. It is not my fault that you feel offended nor is it my problem. You brought this upon yourself alone.

You want it spelled out? Alright, here it is:

''Nowhere in the canon games, was it said or implied that he would endure exile for a mere female mortal, 2000 years ago.'' No sh**. I guess Sparda's powers getting sealed (him essentially becoming human - and exiled from the demon world because, you know, he killed their leader.
Sparda never became human because his sons are cambion. If he did became one, I am all ears to know how the twins managed to become half breed and got their devilish powers, if their father changed his true nature before having sexual intercourse with Eva.

Do you remember Sparda's character file in DMC3? It is said that sensing his power growing too strong, he also sealed himself in the Netherworld. Technically speaking, he did not exile himself, until he later found or created an exit.

According to DMC1, Sparda gave Mundus a good beating, then sealed him. His death has yet to occur.
- when he closed the Hell Gate with his blood and that of a priestess 2000 years ago doesn't count? And the priestess was just some random girl, right? Not likely. Most likely he was in love with her, and was one of the reasons for him rebelling against the demon world, aside from preventing the demons from ruling over the humans. His 'exile' was being trapped, or at least losing his power. He would never be a true demon unless the seal were broken.
DMC3 only presented the priestess as useful for the purity of her blood, sacrificed for the greater good. Sparda in contrast to Nero must of saw the bigger picture than just a woman. A human lifespan is at least 100 years (maybe lesser in her time). So why a being transcending millennia over millennia would betray his own kind for the transient love of a woman, when there are more important issues such as oppression, enslavement, deliberate killing of those unable to fight back, racism (why not?), etc. ?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You don't have to take everything so literally. Some reading between the lines can be done regarding the DMC story. Nobody knows whether Sparda saved the humans simply because he didn't want the priestess to get hurt, and I didn't say she was the reason. I said she was one of his many reasons.

I also didn't literally mean Sparda became a human biologically; I meant that when he sealed the Hell Gate, he was no longer welcome in the demon world and lost his power as well, leaving him to be the humans' equal. The part when Nero says 'I will endure the exile' seems very appropriate for Sparda, but not for Nero. What exile? Nero already was pretty much an exile. He didn't fit in anywhere,whereas Sparda may have had relatives in Hell.

D-Sparda

You don't have to take everything so literally. Some reading between the lines can be done regarding the DMC story. Nobody knows whether Sparda saved the humans simply because he didn't want the priestess to get hurt, and I didn't say she was the reason. I said she was one of his many reasons.

I also didn't literally mean Sparda became a human biologically; I meant that when he sealed the Hell Gate, he was no longer welcome in the demon world and lost his power as well, leaving him to be the humans' equal. The part when Nero says 'I will endure the exile' seems very appropriate for Sparda, but not for Nero. What exile? Nero already was pretty much an exile. He didn't fit in anywhere,whereas Sparda may have had relatives in Hell.
For the priestess, I will explain my view in another way. Let say Sparda did love her. Why in DMC3, was she not presented as someone more important to Sparda than just a means to an end? Why was it not implied that they had a relationship? Why the games mentioned only Eva as Sparda's canonical true love, when it comes to female humans? At least, they must have been in good terms before the sacrifice.

I am not so sure about him being humans' equal. I mean do you not find it ironic that the savior of mankind ended up ruling over them albeit in harmony for some time?

Speaking of his relatives, it would not be suprising if post-DMC2 Dante met them in Hell or even Nelo Angelo while in servitude to Mundus.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
For the priestess, I will explain my view in another way. Let say Sparda did love her. Why in DMC3, was she not presented as someone more important to Sparda than just a means to an end? Why was it not implied that they had a relationship? Why the games mentioned only Eva as Sparda's canonical true love, when it comes to female humans? At least, they must have been in good terms before the sacrifice.

I am not so sure about him being humans' equal. I mean do you not find it ironic that the savior of mankind ended up ruling over them albeit in harmony for some time?

Speaking of his relatives, it would not be suprising if post-DMC2 Dante met them in Hell or even Nelo Angelo while in servitude to Mundus.

I don't know the reason for that, but then, not much is known about Sparda aside from what happened when he returned after 2000 years (when he fathered Dante and Vergil). The only thing that was told about Sparda's time 2000 years back is this: ''2000 years ago, the Dark Knight, Sparda, took up his sword for the sake of mankind (quote from Sanctus)''.
He sealed his power and the portal to the demon world by using his blood and that of a human priestess. He then ruled over the humans benevolently. That's pretty much it.
Honestly, I don't even know if all humans knew he was a demon. Yes, Sanctus and many others knew, but it could be that Sparda had an advisor, and that he was the only one who knew he was a demon. I doubt humans would let a demon rule over them, even if he saved them. But then, we don't even know if the humans knew Sparda saved them from the demons. It was written down by some people, obviously, but those authors might've been regarded as insane by the other humans for all we know. I'm sure there's a reason that Sparda is now part of a religion (Order of the Sword, etc) instead of a factual story.

It's hard to explain what I mean by equal. I don't mean that he became a biological human. Nor do I mean that he became their equal in terms of political power. I sort of mean that he became 'counted among the ranks of the humans, rather than the demons', if that's at all understandable. Kind of vague, I know.

They should make a game about Sparda's relatives, heheh. I don't know, there's still so much to be told. I just think it's a shame the DMC series is so vague and unsubstantial. And sadly, I don't care much for the new direction the series has taken (DmC). I guess it might be time to let go.

D-Sparda

I don't know the reason for that, but then, not much is known about Sparda aside from what happened when he returned after 2000 years (when he fathered Dante and Vergil). The only thing that was told about Sparda's time 2000 years back is this: ''2000 years ago, the Dark Knight, Sparda, took up his sword for the sake of mankind (quote from Sanctus)''.
He sealed his power and the portal to the demon world by using his blood and that of a human priestess. He then ruled over the humans benevolently. That's pretty much it.
Honestly, I don't even know if all humans knew he was a demon. Yes, Sanctus and many others knew, but it could be that Sparda had an advisor, and that he was the only one who knew he was a demon. I doubt humans would let a demon rule over them, even if he saved them. But then, we don't even know if the humans knew Sparda saved them from the demons. It was written down by some people, obviously, but those authors might've been regarded as insane by the other humans for all we know. I'm sure there's a reason that Sparda is now part of a religion (Order of the Sword, etc) instead of a factual story.
Like you said, it would seem that not all knew he was a demon. The only example I have in mind comes from the anime: the human statue of Sparda in a public area. For the Order of the Sword, I presume they did not possess the accurate details concerning his true form. That could explain the humanize sculptures of him in the first place.

It's hard to explain what I mean by equal. I don't mean that he became a biological human. Nor do I mean that he became their equal in terms of political power. I sort of mean that he became 'counted among the ranks of the humans, rather than the demons', if that's at all understandable. Kind of vague, I know.

I understand what you mean now. He became some sort of honorary member of the human race.

They should make a game about Sparda's relatives, heheh. I don't know, there's still so much to be told. I just think it's a shame the DMC series is so vague and unsubstantial. And sadly, I don't care much for the new direction the series has taken (DmC). I guess it might be time to let go.
DmC apparently failed sales wise as predicted by most. Maybe it would be best to know in which direction Capcom wish to take the franchise now.

K-Style

Alright well here's my theory:
Nero was a human at first. He was an orphan who lived in Fortuna and fell in love with Kyrie (blah blah blah skipping forward). One day they were attacked by demons and he couldn't beat them on his own. He needed more power to protect her, and Vergil's soul, which probably heard his call, exchanged his arm for more power.

Why I think of this is because if the chronology of DMC is correct, then this is sometime after the events of DMC1, where Dante defeated Nelo Angelo. So Vergil's spirit wandered off and just happened to catch Nero at his dying moment. Anyone want to expand on this?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Alright well here's my theory:
Nero was a human at first. He was an orphan who lived in Fortuna and fell in love with Kyrie (blah blah blah skipping forward). One day they were attacked by demons and he couldn't beat them on his own. He needed more power to protect her, and Vergil's soul, which probably heard his call, exchanged his arm for more power.

Why I think of this is because if the chronology of DMC is correct, then this is sometime after the events of DMC1, where Dante defeated Nelo Angelo. So Vergil's spirit wandered off and just happened to catch Nero at his dying moment. Anyone want to expand on this?

I kind of thought like that at first, too. I thought the name Nero was very conveniently picked. But that could just be it; Capcom being too lazy to think of anything else, or not having a cool alternative.

Nero being a human while having white hair and extraordinary power even without the Devil Bringer arm, well, that doesn't sound right to me. Not to mention that Sanctus calls Nero a ''descendant of Sparda's blood'', says he has ''indeed inherited Sparda's power'', etc. As far as I know, you can't inherit anything by gaining a demonic arm from Vergil's soul. Then Berial tells Nero he's ''just like he was''', referring to Sparda. No, I believe he's supposed to be very similar to Sparda. I think he's part of the bloodline, though maybe not a direct descendant of Sparda, as that would mean Vergil or Dante fathered Nero when they were eleven. Sparda can't be Nero's father since he died before Dante and Vergil had their eighth birthday. If Sparda died just before they became eight, that would mean Nero is around 22 instead of 19 as Capcom said. But I'm pretty sure I heard Dante say he never knew his father. That probably means Sparda died quite a while before.

Nero's arm isn't blue. If it were, I'd say Vergil had something to do with it. Vergil's soul does seem to echo from the Yamato a bit, though. Maybe that's where Nero Angelo went. Not surprising, since swords often have souls in Japanese folklore. I even doubt it's Vergil's soul. Wasn't the Yamato forged by Sparda? If so, the power-hungry part of Sparda's soul is probably inside Yamato. The Rebellion might house the more emotional part of Sparda's soul. I wouldn't be surprised if Sparda set it up that way, so that Dante and Vergil would split everything (the amulet too), so that the Hell Gate wouldn't be opened easily. Guess that backfired.

It's all very weird, and I doubt Capcom even knows where Nero came from, otherwise they would just tell us instead of saying ''wouldn't you like to know'' for years on end. It seems he may have been intended to be a half-demon like Dante and Vergil (my avatar). And the first trailers and artwork of DMC4 didn't show Nero: only Dante. Which would explain why half the game consists of backtracking. DMC4 is a mess, just like DMC3 kind of messed up the DMC1 story of Dante not having seen Vergil since they were both eight.

I hope Capcom gets its act together, or just hires new staff, and new everything.

seraphmaycry

i don'tcare what capcom and ttheir artbook say i think the arm is demonic power that will slowly consume nero until he become a horrible demon it forced yamato to work so it could gain more power and convert nero faster

Caiden

I kind of thought like that at first, too. I thought the name Nero was very conveniently picked. But that could just be it; Capcom being too lazy to think of anything else, or not having a cool alternative.

Nero being a human while having white hair and extraordinary power even without the Devil Bringer arm, well, that doesn't sound right to me. Not to mention that Sanctus calls Nero a ''descendant of Sparda's blood'', says he has ''indeed inherited Sparda's power'', etc. As far as I know, you can't inherit anything by gaining a demonic arm from Vergil's soul. Then Berial tells Nero he's ''just like he was''', referring to Sparda. No, I believe he's supposed to be very similar to Sparda. I think he's part of the bloodline, though maybe not a direct descendant of Sparda, as that would mean Vergil or Dante fathered Nero when they were eleven. Sparda can't be Nero's father since he died before Dante and Vergil had their eighth birthday. If Sparda died just before they became eight, that would mean Nero is around 22 instead of 19 as Capcom said. But I'm pretty sure I heard Dante say he never knew his father. That probably means Sparda died quite a while before.

Nero's arm isn't blue. If it were, I'd say Vergil had something to do with it. Vergil's soul does seem to echo from the Yamato a bit, though. Maybe that's where Nero Angelo went. Not surprising, since swords often have souls in Japanese folklore. I even doubt it's Vergil's soul. Wasn't the Yamato forged by Sparda? If so, the power-hungry part of Sparda's soul is probably inside Yamato. The Rebellion might house the more emotional part of Sparda's soul. I wouldn't be surprised if Sparda set it up that way, so that Dante and Vergil would split everything (the amulet too), so that the Hell Gate wouldn't be opened easily. Guess that backfired.

It's all very weird, and I doubt Capcom even knows where Nero came from, otherwise they would just tell us instead of saying ''wouldn't you like to know'' for years on end. It seems he may have been intended to be a half-demon like Dante and Vergil (my avatar). And the first trailers and artwork of DMC4 didn't show Nero: only Dante. Which would explain why half the game consists of backtracking. DMC4 is a mess, just like DMC3 kind of messed up the DMC1 story of Dante not having seen Vergil since they were both eight.

I hope Capcom gets its act together, or just hires new staff, and new everything.

Also there is a good chance that Nero had some amount of demon ability before gaining his devil bringer. He was give assignments by the order to kill demons and was able to do it alone and Red Queen was made so that only someone as strong as Nero could use it.

K-Style

I suppose, I see your point with him being a descendant of Sparda. Hell, the whole Nero backstory seems too complicated to put together without leaving major plotholes. Hell, for all we know, they could pull something like "Oh while there was Sparda, and he has a twin brother like Vergil and Dante!" For now, there doesn't seem to be a strong theory that backs up Nero's story completely, so.. I guess we can only play the waiting game.. Though I doubt that Capcom would bring out a good DMC that closes any holes.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I suppose, I see your point with him being a descendant of Sparda. Hell, the whole Nero backstory seems too complicated to put together without leaving major plotholes. Hell, for all we know, they could pull something like "Oh while there was Sparda, and he has a twin brother like Vergil and Dante!" For now, there doesn't seem to be a strong theory that backs up Nero's story completely, so.. I guess we can only play the waiting game.. Though I doubt that Capcom would bring out a good DMC that closes any holes.

Yeah, it's really a mystery at this point. Capcom did say they might continue the DMC series, but then, they also called DmC a 'reboot'. They also contradicted themselves when talking about Resident Evil. They said they weren't going to reboot any more series, and subsequently, they tell us they could reboot Resident Evil.

Anyway, Nero being a descendant of Sparda's sister/brother is even a possibility :p In the DMC4 concept art, Nero doesn't wear red and blue at first, and has a true Devil Trigger form (instead of the blue floating apparition thing). In some of the pictures, he wears blue and white, which makes me think he's Vergil's son, but that's impossible, and Capcom knew it.

Link to a page on this forum with concept art:

http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/dmc4-concept-art-book.3576/

Let's wait and see what Capcom decides. Heck, maybe they can sell the DMC rights to Platinum Games (some of the guys who developed DMC1).

Top Bottom