• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Microtransactions in DMCV

DarkSlayer54

My rationale about microtransactions are... if it's day 1 DLC, then it should be in the game. Doesn't matter if they're cheats, pre-order bonuses, or what have you. If it could have been there at launch, it should have.

If they release something after launch, then each item should be a one-time purchase. If you have a "Red Orbs" cheat that you can buy, then it should be a one-time purchase that unlocks a "Give me red orbs" cheat within the game, that you can use repeatedly to your heart's content.

That's where I draw the line in the sand, and games have been crossing it for awhile. Micro-transactions as used by DMC4:SE have no business being in the game, as far as I'm concerned.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know, I honestly think that if no one ever pointed this whole thing out the game would've released and no one would've noticed until someone pointed out that there was random stuff on the PSN and XBL stores for the game, just like DMC4SE.

Could someone tweet both Matt and Itsuno for me on twitter and tell them that Ash from dmc dot org thinks they're the ultimate evil? Thanks.

Little wet chunks: priceless.
I would, expect that the last time I did that for you Ninja Theory blocked me on Twitter. Last time I do you a favor.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I would, expect that the last time I did that for you Ninja Theory blocked me on Twitter.

Exactly what I was talking about. That kind of immature behavior is what makes us lose credibility when addressing issues instead of getting us to be taken seriously.
Sorry that you got blocked. But satisfy my morbid curiosity... Does NT block with a catchphrase like Kamiya does? XD

Dark Drakan

Admin
TWOxACROSS said:
I think there's a word for it...Itsuno used it, and people are whining about it...was it...Player...chunks? Player Chunks? Oh, no, sorry, it's "player choice."

Again not saying this is as bad in this case but I’ve heard the “Player Choice” statement before, along with the line “It gives players a sense of pride and accomplishment” & we all know how well they both went down.

The reasons for both companies adding microtransactions are the same, they want more money from you for a longer period of time. Just one company is pushing a little harder to get it.

I don’t want to have to look up & research drop rates and how badly a games microtransactions are integrated into a games systems before buying it.

If gamers start accepting that they are just a part of gaming then ALL games will start adding them & you won’t know without extensive stat research which ones are less intrusive. Cant cry fowl at EA, WB Games & Activision for their decisions and then say they arent a big deal in other games when its the same system but tweaked and a % chance difference in drop rates that separates them.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
If gamers start accepting that they are just a part of gaming then ALL games will start adding them & you won’t know without extensive stat research which ones are less intrusive. Cant cry fowl at EA, WB Games & Activision for their decisions and then say they arent a big deal in other games when its the same system but tweaked and a % chance difference in drop rates that separates them.

This is a bit fallacious, isn't it? There are more games released without microtransactions than with them, and even in most of the ones that are released with microtransactions, they don't negatively impact regular play, nor coerce the player into making those extra purchases. Just like in DMC4se, a lot of games have microtransactions that can go completely unnoticed, and all this hub-bub is getting swirled up because of a few high profile cases of the worst case scenarios.

EA and Activision, sorta beyond saving, and WB tried its damnedest to bilk players, but what matters most of all is the differences, sure Capcom is making use of a tried and true microtransaction, but there's no evidence to support that they're going to enact it at the cost of the core principles of the game. In fact, we have direct confirmation of the opposite. It's kind of astonishing to see how quickly the trust seems to fade.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
ok so.
1. DMC4SE isn't valid example by default, because it's port of older game that was already balanced without them.
2. DMC5 designed with microtransiction in mind, so it could factually affect progression
3. I have nothing against DLC, but microtransiction doesn't belong to single player games
4. almost all examples of single player games affacted by it are negative
5. player choice is bs PR talk pulled by each and every person in charge of promoting game
6. people shouldn't insult devs about it, buuuuuuuuuuuut it doesn't mean fanbase should stfu and gobble everything up.

Dark Drakan

Admin
This is a bit fallacious, isn't it? There are more games released without microtransactions than with them, and even in most of the ones that are released with microtransactions, they don't negatively impact regular play, nor coerce the player into making those extra purchases. Just like in DMC4se, a lot of games have microtransactions that can go completely unnoticed, and all this hub-bub is getting swirled up because of a few high profile cases of the worst case scenarios.

EA and Activision, sorta beyond saving, and WB tried its damnedest to bilk players, but what matters most of all is the differences, sure Capcom is making use of a tried and true microtransaction, but there's no evidence to support that they're going to enact it at the cost of the core principles of the game. In fact, we have direct confirmation of the opposite. It's kind of astonishing to see how quickly the trust seems to fade.

At the moment there are more games released without them because of the negative backlash most with them get. Some games even make a point before they release of announcing that they have no loot boxes or microtransactions of any kind as they dont want to be associated with them. However that would soon change should more gamers actually start to accept them. In the same concept there are FAR more games where microtransactions have had a negative impact on a games in game economy than in the rare cases where they go unnoticed.

Unless you are a tiny indie studio releasing a free to play game and microtransactions are your sole source of income they do not belong in full priced AAA games. This whole concept could derail the games hype as every comment I read yesterday were along the lines of 'Microtransactions = No Buy', 'Cancelled preorder, AAA games shouldnt have microtransactions' or 'Will wait for it to hit the second hand bargain bin in a sale'.

Those worst case scenarios are simply because the big boys decided they would push them the hardest before gamers were ready to accept them. They ruined it for all these companies that were slowly introducing them and turning that dial slowly to tempt gamers into buying them. Had most developers got their way all microtransactions would go the WB Games and EA route years down the line once they had become an accepted part of gaming.

Really easy for the PR side of things to keep repeating they dont impact the game as its been said so many times before and then it turns out that they DO impact the game. Once bitten twice shy and all that, I just dont trust these companies any more based on the negative impact microtransactions have been having on gaming for years. I will always ignore them in games and will NEVER buy a microtransaction in a game but I dont want my in game goal posts to keep being pulled back to make every action take longer to reach that goal to push me towards buying them.

People just dont trust microtransaction business model or the developers that use them. It is far too easily abused and can be done after the fact too. All it takes is a patch or a hotfix to tweak the drop rates after you have already given them your money and bought the game and that grind just got longer. I would urge everyone to keep an eye on patch notes after game launches for the inevitable balance tweaks and see if that drop rate changes.

I obviously want the game to succeed and sell really well but this news will have turned a lot of people off the game. Maybe this WILL be one of the very rare cases where they dont actually impact the game in a massively noticeable way but at the same time might also be one of the games that gets you to drop your guard before you are burned by another that does. Only time will tell and we will have to wait and see...

PS Anyone unhappy with the microtransations refrain from insulting the developers as thats never the answer, far more mature ways to make a point than that.

Railazel

Well, simple thing for me is that I'm not gonna buy the game. Will I play it? Certainly, if I can do so without paying for it. Otherwise, I'll watch playthroughs of it and get my fill of DMC action from other places. I don't quite understand demonizing the developers but I also don't quite understand the tolerance for bad business practices but, then again, it's not really my business to understand either of those two things. Just spend your money how you wish and remember you can still support the franchise without paying for the game.

Dominus

I don't know how Capcom keeps ****ing up a good thing. I'll excuse the subhuman thing because they handled that well, but man this microtransactions **** is just pr poison. Shows a clear lack of understanding where the market is at the moment regarding mtx, and the DD remaster nor MHW had them (not 100% sure about the latter though, just from what people have said).

I mean come on Capcom don't **** up DMCV, the game looks good as is. I don't want DMCV doing bad in sales because Capcom Execs want to make a few extra bucks...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Well, don't lock the thread yet.

ei8xdrm4w6o11.png

I wanna see more mental gymnastics first.

----

Ok, but seriously though: let's see if we can both get what we want.

How about a cheap forty dollar version launched alongside a Demon Hunter pack edition? This way, you won't have to deal with any aftercharges when playing the original game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Just ignore the horse armor, bro.

I often wonder how many people were stoked enough about that to buy it...

ok so.
1. DMC4SE isn't valid example by default, because it's port of older game that was already balanced without them.
2. DMC5 designed with microtransiction in mind, so it could factually affect progression
3. I have nothing against DLC, but microtransiction doesn't belong to single player games
4. almost all examples of single player games affacted by it are negative
5. player choice is bs PR talk pulled by each and every person in charge of promoting game
6. people shouldn't insult devs about it, buuuuuuuuuuuut it doesn't mean fanbase should stfu and gobble everything up.

!) Supposedly, DMC4se actually did have its red orb ratio balanced, to drop more orbs, despite the inclusion of the very same microtransaction people are worrying about now
@) It could, but we've been told it's not, so...either believe the devs or don't...?
#) debatable, depending on what they do
$) Again, debatable. The only ones we ever here about are the ones that have a negative effect, many go unnoticed, even if the option to buy them is announced ahead of time. Bad sample size
%) I'm thinkin'...no? People have turned "player choice" into a negative phrase, but the fundamental nature of it, and if offered correctly (DMC4se being correctly, Shadow of War being incorrectly), the choice is literally there for the player alone to make, with no coercion
^) I didn't even say that. I said to pick battles and understand the nuances of each different situation. Get upset when there is a cold, hard, legitimate fact to be upset about. Right now, people are taking conjecture over the words of the people making the game. Amazingly, it's DmC aaaaall over again. This fanbase, I tell yah...

At the moment there are more games released without them because of the negative backlash most with them get. Some games even make a point before they release of announcing that they have no loot boxes or microtransactions of any kind as they dont want to be associated with them. However that would soon change should more gamers actually start to accept them. In the same concept there are FAR more games where microtransactions have had a negative impact on a games in game economy than in the rare cases where they go unnoticed.

That's an entirely debatable topic, really. Obviously devs don't want to **** off consumers, and who would, when they act this irrationally, but any game that has the options that don't make headlines, no one complains, because they're, for lack of a better phrase, "done right." Please take note of the quotation marks there.

Unless you are a tiny indie studio releasing a free to play game and microtransactions are your sole source of income they do not belong in full priced AAA games. This whole concept could derail the games hype as every comment I read yesterday were along the lines of 'Microtransactions = No Buy', 'Cancelled preorder, AAA games shouldnt have microtransactions' or 'Will wait for it to hit the second hand bargain bin in a sale'.

And that's the problem with kneejerk reactions, thinking the absolute worst to the extent of legitimately denying information that should prove otherwise. If people want to take that stance, that's totally their prerogative, but then they'll have to reap what they sow. If people don't want to listen to Istuno or Matt Walker when they say there's nothing to worry about, then they only have themselves to blame if DMC5 sells poorly and the series staggers for another five to ten years.

Those worst case scenarios are simply because the big boys decided they would push them the hardest before gamers were ready to accept them. They ruined it for all these companies that were slowly introducing them and turning that dial slowly to tempt gamers into buying them. Had most developers got their way all microtransactions would go the WB Games and EA route years down the line once they had become an accepted part of gaming.

And yet Capcom is one of the first companies to have learned its lesson when it came to this stuff, and they learned it half-a-decade ago. The DLC and microtransactions in their games nowadays are limited, and have no negative effect on gameplay. This isn't Asura's Wrath. Who cares what WB or EA have done to their consumers? They got greedy and didn't think about making worthwhile products first that people are willing to support, other companies deserve some semblance of leniency to actually see what's actually going on instead of reactively thinking the worst. It doesn't matter if they tried to force such terribly misguided practices through "too early" or if they weaned us in to them - you don't think the moment something unacceptable started we wouldn't cry fowl, regardless of what we accept beforehand? This stuff has been going on for how long now? They've been trying to wean us onto those practices, and Shadow of War and Battlefront 2 proved they were unacceptable. Even before that people weren't all that keen on lootboxes with Overwatch.

Why is it so hard to believe that people can be logical about this? Why is it that consumers can only appear to be reactionary and thinking the worst of everything or some kind of shill that doesn't care how bad gaming gets?

Really easy for the PR side of things to keep repeating they dont impact the game as its been said so many times before and then it turns out that they DO impact the game. Once bitten twice shy and all that, I just dont trust these companies any more based on the negative impact microtransactions have been having on gaming for years. I will always ignore them in games and will NEVER buy a microtransaction in a game but I dont want my in game goal posts to keep being pulled back to make every action take longer to reach that goal to push me towards buying them.

Capcom isn't WB, though. Why would Itsuno and Walker stick their necks out and lie straight to their consumers after a stink was already raised beforehand, just to lose consumer trust after release? I totally get being "twice shy," but it feels like people went far past shyness and into paranoia. You lose absolutely nothing by bothering to trust Itsuno and Walker, except for like...lower blood pressure.

People just dont trust microtransaction business model or the developers that use them. It is far too easily abused and can be done after the fact too. All it takes is a patch or a hotfix to tweak the drop rates after you have already given them your money and bought the game and that grind just got longer. I would urge everyone to keep an eye on patch notes after game launches for the inevitable balance tweaks and see if that drop rate changes.

And when was the last time that actually happened? That a game was patched to negatively impact the gameplay? Capcom has been doing these kinds of microtransactions for years now, I remember it from way back with Dragon's Dogma, and they didn't once make things more difficult after the fact. DMC4se actually had orb drop rates increased. The only time I've heard of a game's balance being tweaked after the fact was Shadow of War and Battlefront 2, to actually decrease the crap they had tried to pull after their playerbases got so angry.

Maybe this WILL be one of the very rare cases where they dont actually impact the game in a massively noticeable way but at the same time might also be one of the games that gets you to drop your guard before you are burned by another that does. Only time will tell and we will have to wait and see...

It's possible to be on your guard and still trust when the developer says there's nothing to worry about. I am.

tolerance for bad business practices

I would say that it's because it's not inherently a "bad business practice." People can huff and haw all they want, but there are games out there that already do the exact same thing, and no one cares two curly mud pies about them. It's only a bad business practice when a developer let's be honest it's the publisher, exploits it, especially at the cost of normal gameplay. Games probably don't really need them, but if they don't negatively impact the game, there is literally no harm in allowing them. This isn't a slippery slope.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
There's so much I disagree with you on. Especially that slippery slope bit. You're right about one thing though; games probably don't need them, but that won't stop devs from trying to get more money out of us anyway.

Why this is even happening is beyond the arguments being debated in forums like this. I won't even bother getting into that at the present time because it would take too long.

I'll just leave it here for now.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Lootboxes and microtransactions are the dirty words of the industry and associated with the large publishers trying to rinse every last penny out of gamers. Why open yourself up to the controversy in the first place? Put a cheat code or different mode in the game for those that want that choice rather than giving them the 'option' to spend additional cash. Game isnt out yet or in its final phase so not really picking out DMC V in particular yet.

However this was ALWAYS going to only have a negative impact on the game in the press and its sales, no-one was ever going to decide to buy the game BECAUSE microtransactions were put into it. They were only ever going to lose sales and preorders then have to hope that they can convince enough people to buy those microtransactions to cover the cost of those lost preorders/sales.

Should enough people cancel their preorder or 'choose' not to buy it (regardless of their original impact on the game) purely because they disagree with the inclusion of microtransactions in ANY form they would have no choice but to alter the game economy to 'tempt' more people into buying them. Just by simply having them in the game (no matter what effect they actually have) they have already made that choice for some people and they will choose not to buy it at all.

People shouldnt be putting blind faith into developers/publishers whose business is making money, wait and see and dont preorder until you know the whole story. Then if they truly are a choice and unnecessary then fine, go along as normal. People are ragging on Joe and Jim when their point was about microtransactions as a whole in the industry not just in this particular game and they are as a whole trying to stop the companies going down the shady EA/WB Games route and save gamers money in the long run.

Some people saying to ignore them arent rationally thinking about why they are there in the first place, to tempt you into spending more of your hard earned cash. Whether you do or not is irrelevant its that they want you to spend more money on things they could give you via free methods. How much they strong arm you into doing so is nothing more than a numerical value under the hood.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Pretty much this.

I kept an eye out before all this on how many red orbs you could earn playing the game and not only are they not rare they are abundant. In DMC4 SE it was ridiculously easy to farm for to the point that the mic-tras were trivial.

I think this whole thing has been blown so out of proportion it's become stupid now. Add to this that in previous games, namely 1 and 3, it was much harder to earn capital and buy things because they kept becoming more and more expensive, much harder than it looks like it's happening in 5 and this whole thing rings of overreaction. Moves and items apparently cost anywhere from 5000 to 20000 orbs and according to the article you can earn around 15000 from just the demo area. I'm not seeing the need for the concern this has sprout. If this has anything like Battlefront I'd say something but as it stands all of this is unwarranted.

I'm also getting tired of the disclaimer 'don't defend this, you can't, it's just bad' and every other BS excuse as to why this isn't a conversation it's a statement. Angry Joe started his video like that. I don't want to read people defending this in the comments. So agree or get out? Not to mention the Jim Sterling video which was just a nagging compilation of insults and mochery. I specially find it BS because I know that if or when the time comes and all of their p***ing and moaning and insults were for nothing because the games play just as well without having to pay for upgrades, such as in DMC4SE, they won't be apologizing for their condizending and downright vicious videos, specially Sterling's, nor will they ever admit fault or overreaction and that's why I don't put stock on these things anymore.

Hopefully that does turn out to be the case and when it hopefully does I wont let Angry Joe and Jim Sterling live this down. Especially during the reviews for the game. If they don't bring up I and many other (or I'll try or hope to get others involved) will. Their comment sections will be on fire. I especially won't let Jim live this down as well as any other idiot who decided to jump on this bandwagon without doing research and coming to a rational thought.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Why is it so hard for some people to understand that microtransactions related to orb drop rate is not something you need to build the whole game around? It's not something that needs planning from the beginning. The whole argument that DMC4SE is not a valid example because DMC4 didn't originally have micros doesn't mean anything. Something like orb drop rate is very easy to tweak (higher or lower) in order to make micros more enticing, you don't need to make any fundamental changes to the game at all.

Same applies to DMC5. The demo's drop rate is hella generous but if they want to lower it all they have to do is modify that numeric value for the final game. They don't need to "build the whole game" around micros in order to have them in, just like they didn't need to do it for DMC4SE. Hell, lowering the drop rate is literally something they can do in a patch if they so desire, it doesn't require any pre-planning from the ground-up or anything like that. Which actually makes it even more scary than if it DID require it, so I wouldn't use that argument to support any anti-microtransactions stance now that I think about it.

Railazel

I would say that it's because it's not inherently a "bad business practice." People can huff and haw all they want, but there are games out there that already do the exact same thing, and no one cares two curly mud pies about them. It's only a bad business practice when a developer let's be honest it's the publisher, exploits it, especially at the cost of normal gameplay. Games probably don't really need them, but if they don't negatively impact the game, there is literally no harm in allowing them. This isn't a slippery slope.

Any practice that has the potential of negatively impacting sales and lowering profits is a bad business practice. If there's enough stigma against something that people are willing to forgo buying the game for the mere existence of said thing then it's a risk to the profitability of the game. Now I'm certain that Capcom has ran the numbers and understands the risks involved so if they think they're safe then the game is going on sell fine regardless. However, I think you're investing too much in trying to argue points here. I'm not even sure what you're arguing for, if people are that hell bent on not buying the game because of microtransactions or being mad about it, telling them not to worry isn't going to help.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
!) Supposedly, DMC4se actually did have its red orb ratio balanced, to drop more orbs, despite the inclusion of the very same microtransaction people are worrying about now.
Like I said, DMC4SE is not valid example to begin with and they onlc increased because it would make grind for additional characters impossible.
@) It could, but we've been told it's not, so...either believe the devs or don't...?
Wrong. It literally added to ingame menu. Please do tell me how it's only aftersought.
#) debatable, depending on what they do
Not debatable. Borderlands, Doom, Dark Souls all could add it, yet they didn't and only profite about it.
$) Again, debatable. The only ones we ever here about are the ones that have a negative effect, many go unnoticed, even if the option to buy them is announced ahead of time. Bad sample size
yet to find at least one positive example. It made grind bs in injustice, shadow of war, Battlefield 2 and tons of other games.
%) I'm thinkin'...no? People have turned "player choice" into a negative phrase, but the fundamental nature of it, and if offered correctly (DMC4se being correctly, Shadow of War being incorrectly), the choice is literally there for the player alone to make, with no coercion
Like I said, DMC4 isn't valid to begin with.
Amazingly, it's DmC aaaaall over again. This fanbase, I tell yah....
Don't be drama queen. It has nothing to do with each other. But they made dumb choice, that will impact their sales, and people pointing it out.

Top Bottom