• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Microtransactions in DMCV

Dark Drakan

Admin
Half of the blame is to put on us gamers by the way. It's easy to lunge at the publishers for scummy practices like microtransactions but the truth is that they keep putting them in their games cause people buy it. And yet I've seen almost no one addressing the player base side of responsibilities regarding this issue.

Wholeheartedly agree, they wouldnt include them if no-one bought them. Be it that they have purposely made the games grind so frustrating you feel pushed into buying them or you do indeed want a shortcut as you dont have the time to spend unlocking the cool things or grinding for in game currency. Then there are the whales which seems to be getting a bigger problem and even some more extreme cases.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Half of the blame is to put on us gamers by the way. It's easy to lunge at the publishers for scummy practices like microtransactions but the truth is that they keep putting them in their games cause people use them. And yet I've seen almost no one addressing the player base side of responsibilities regarding this issue.

To an extent, that's kind of vilifying others, isn't it? It's like blaming someone for buying a game they don't like. At least in this case, people should be very careful with how they spend their money, of course, but in the case of predatory microtransactions and coercion, it's not on them. For the innocuous kind, it feels wholly wrong to blame them for something that isn't doing any harm, or that doesn't affect you. Isn't that the fundamental concept of "player choice?" If it's done correctly, it's an actual choice.

The differentiation is kind of a key factor, I feel.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
In mine opinion, microtransiction is scum to begin with, since it literally invasive tactics that tweaks with system to make extra cash. If DLC are mostly indeed "player's choice", Lootboxes and microtransiction are adding nothing on top just mess up system for no reason

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Isn't that the fundamental concept of "player choice?"

Let's not be naive. It's an excuse. If it truly was just about player choice, then they'd simply put in a secret cheat code or something that allows you to unlock all the moves or items.

It's not about player choice. It's about money, period. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. And if people decide to encourage the greedy practice of charging for something that can very well be obtained through other, "free of charge" means, then yes, they are part of the problem.

As for games that use coercion, on that I can agree. But see, they're encouraged to make that kind of nastier microtransactions because they see that they get money from the first kind, so in their minds, why not pushing it further. Spend money on neither, and you'll see less and less of this practice, especially the more aggressive type.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
In mine opinion, microtransiction is scum to begin with, since it literally invasive tactics that tweaks with system to make extra cash. If DLC are mostly indeed "player's choice", Lootboxes and microtransiction are adding nothing on top just mess up system for no reason

You're really not understanding the concept of "predatory" and "coercion." If they don't mess up the system, then they aren't predatory, nor do they coerce, like in games where they end up completely ignored.

Let's not be naive. It's an excuse. If it truly was just about player choice, then they'd simply put in a secret cheat code or something that allows you to unlock all the moves or items.

It's not about player choice. It's about money, period. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. And if people decide to encourage the greedy practice of charging for something that can very well be obtained through other, "free of charge" means, then yes, they are part of the problem.

Of course it's about money, they're a business and they need to make money, that's why they're making games to sell. At least if they're going to find new ways to make money, doing it without it actually affecting the core gameplay is like...begrudgingly acceptable. Like sure, not doing it at all is preferential, but there's only so much actual power we have as consumers, and they do have a right to create the game and implement what they see fit in order to see returns. I recently had someone actually say to me that "they make enough money as it is," and all I can say to that is "Holy ****, **** right off." What right does anyone have to tell a developer "they make enough money?"

As for games that use coercion, on that I can agree. But see, they're encouraged to make that kind of nastier microtransactions because they see that they get money from the first kind, so in their minds, why not pushing it further. Spend money on neither, and you'll see less and less of this practice, especially the more aggressive type.

Well, every game is different, and we already have instances of developers refraining from the nastier concepts. It's disingenuous to know the minds of every single developer and what they will do, almost to the point of being kind of insulting. Yes, don't spend money on them and we'll see less of them. Go for it, vote with our wallets, as is our choice. Yet, to say that a dev wouldn't realize that anything more than the innocuous versions they are already implementing is as far as the envelope can be pushed? That's just sorta disingenuous.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You're really not understanding the concept of "predatory" and "coercion." If they don't mess up the system, then they aren't predatory, nor do they coerce, like in games where they end up completely ignored.
Ignored like in removing items from the game to replace them with ingame purchasable currency that used as continue option, like in DMC5?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Ignored like in removing items from the game to replace them with ingame purchasable currency that used as continue option, like in DMC5?

But don't Gold Orbs still exist? We can see the Gold Orb counter in screenshots of the main menu. That's the yellow diamond to the left of the Red Orbs.

DnuW-zKU8AAIYRv.jpg:large

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
But don't Gold Orbs still exist? We can see the Gold Orb counter in screenshots of the main menu. That's the yellow diamond to the left of the Red Orbs.

DnuW-zKU8AAIYRv.jpg:large
as far as report goes at least from YongYea, you can't find them like before, only buy with ingame or real money.

dg1995

Tell me this. Did you players actually liked using cheats like stars and gold orbs ?(That just lowered the ranking)

They were always made me ashamed of going an easy route instead of learning to how to play the game probably without using any items.

DarkSlayer54

Tell me this. Did you players actually liked using cheats like stars and gold orbs ?(That just lowered the ranking)

They were always made me ashamed of going an easy route instead of learning to how to play the game probably without using any items.

I'd want the ranking to stay the same... But yeah, I used them for higher difficulty modes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Tell me this. Did you players actually liked using cheats like stars and gold orbs ?

It depends. For example when I fought a boss and died while he had like, just a tiny bit of health left then yeah, I used items cause I didn't feel like starting over the fight.

Sure, I didn't like to use them because of the lower rank, even though I accepted the fact that I still deserved the rank decrease cause I didn't manage to make it just with my own skills, but still better than redoing a particularly difficult fight or section.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

This guy sums up my thoughts on the whole issue. AT best Microtransactions are unnecessary and at worst they are detrimental to the game.

Last edited:

Deadlegend

I’m going to hell y’all want anything?

I'm not sure if this has been posted on this thread already, but here's a pretty insightful and relatively neutral video a YouTuber that I'm subscribed to made. He does really good game walkthroughs and whilst I understand people's strong opinions on microtransactions in DMC5 and games in general, I can't help but kind of agree with him.
Give this video a shot.
Peace out! :thumbsup:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I made the mistake of buying all the red orbs and proud souls for DMC4: SE, and I regretted it, because while it wasn't a problem with Dante and Nero, with Vergil, Lady, and Trish, I never took the time to try each skill and know each combo. When I play as Vergil, I just button mash. I can say I won't be repeating that.

dg1995

Now the so called drama queens are attacking Assassin's Creed Odyssey for having MTs.(Even though that according to players that played the game it is perfectly balanced.)

DarkSlayer54

Now the so called drama queens are attacking Assassin's Creed Odyssey for having MTs.(Even though that according to players that played the game it is perfectly balanced.)

If you put shortcut DLC's into the game, then you open that game up for progression-related criticisms.

There's no such thing as "perfectly balanced". If you want to cater to a wider audience, then you have to have a range of features to cater to different types of players. If you lock modifiers behind a paywall, then it's no surprise that a portion of the audience may feel annoyed as they now have to pay even more money to merely tweak the game to their tastes.

dg1995

Funny that I've played lots of games without MTs that are more grindy compared to some other games with MTs.

MTs have no effect in progression.

Top Bottom